Official diabetes diet misinformation - any candidates for the Darwin Awards?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I have sent him the link @RalfLott posted, with the further request that if he has not already done so, to watch the videos, particularly those of S. Hallberg and J. Fung.....
    (Given the tone of my letter, I think he was admirably restrained and civil - ! )
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you can breathe again!

Unfortunately, we have board-certified physicians by the dozen in the US (especially ADA members), who will happily spout "eat more carbs" and call us kooks. If you're inclined, maybe send a follow-up email linking to the ongoing Virta study? (link in @cstehansen's post)
  • kilroy02
    kilroy02 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    AlexanderCar,

That is amazing. I'm sure most of us remember the disbelief of Atkins when we first heard of it. With our minds full of fat is poison. So I'm sure many doctors don't look far from their studies of decades ago. But if you made a dent in some doctors, the lives that you will have helped to change for the better, is wonderful.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. God.
    Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. Could you send me a link to the article in question? We work hard to make sure that all of our content is medically accurate and helpful, so we’re thankful that you took the time to send in your concerns. Accordingly, we will send your feedback to the contributor who wrote the article and the board-certified physician who reviewed it. They’ll take a closer look at it with a professional eye and your comments in mind and make all necessary and appropriate changes.

Best,
    ---
    Nick Ingalls
    Associate Content Manager
    verywell

I can breathe again - !!

Maybe they'll write it off - but maybe they'll look into it. You never know who might be inspired to look into it more.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Unfortunately, we have board-certified physicians by the dozen in the US (especially ADA members), who will happily spout "eat more carbs" and call us kooks. If you're inclined, maybe send a follow-up email linking to the ongoing Virta study? (link in @cstehansen's post)

Thanks, @RalfLott, shall do. Even if we can change the mind of just one person whose ideas have hitherto been entrenched in 'traditional' advice, that at least is one lucky person....
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Thanks, @RalfLott, shall do. Even if we can change the mind of just one person whose ideas have hitherto been entrenched in 'traditional' advice, that at least is one lucky person....

Plus, if you're able to dissuade a single editor in pop media from encouraging writers to churn out this crap, it may spare some innocent readers from having the prevailing superstitions reinforced!

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    "Just what makes that little old ant
    Think he'll move that rubber tree plant..."

Sent the link. Also told him such groundbreaking research and data might well go against the grain, but any good carpenter knows that's the best way to achieve an optimum finish....

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Hey, guys, I found one! I mean to say.... really...?!

(Disclaimer: This may already have been posted, but I'm just not keen on trawling through 11 previous pages to check. Apologies if this is a repetition, therefore.....)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

(Disclaimer: This may already have been posted, but I'm just not keen on trawling through 11 previous pages to check. Apologies if this is a repetition, therefore.....)

Did anyone find the date this article was written. I looked but found no date.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Sadly it sounds recent. Furthermore, I'm not sure she has any medical qualifications (I could be wrong!) but she's written a whole host of other articles on diabetes. I hate to sound disparaging but I wouldn't be surprised if she's got a finger in a pharmaceutical pie, somewhere.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Clicking on her name brings up all manner of different articles; it's actually quite frightening...

ETA: I googled her name and all I could come up with was repeated and different accesses to someone who looks very young and fresh out of college. But she's a broadcaster and anchor for KRIS6 News....? A journalist, with probably no more of an education on diabetes and LCHF than any other young, ambitious and highly motivated-by-success go-getter...

If it's the same person, of course....
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

It does not surprise me that you could find something like this in the media. What does surprise me is that so much misinformation and out-right falsehoods could be collected into a single article and still get published.

The author obviously has no knowledge about how the human body functions or she wouldn't have written half the garbage that is in that article.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I (in my usual manner) wrote to Reader's Digest to ask them (politely) who (the hell) she is, and what kind of regulation do they put into place to ensure accuracy? is she medically qualified? Does she have any degree or diploma in nutrition?

I await response with the usual interest....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    When those glycogen stores start to run out, the body resorts to burning body fat. :) But that’s a very inefficient, complicated way to produce blood sugar. :/ The body tries to do it only when it absolutely has to (such as when it’s starving)—and for good reason. Turning fat into blood sugar comes at a price in the form of by-products called ketones. B) They make your breath smell funny. They can also make you tired, lightheaded, headachy, and nauseated. :p

Bwaahahahaa!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I know, it's laughable - if it wasn't so damn stupid and frankly, dangerous. it's like giving a 3-year-old a Gatling gun....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I liked the line about eating carbs so as not to stress your pancreas. Isn't that's like drinking gin to help out your liver? :#
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Jeezus the woman is breathtakingly ignorant!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Well, yeah, but the editors let the octopus sneak by the goalie, eh?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    My favorite was this crap:
    When carbohydrate consumption falls below 100 grams, the body usually responds by burning muscle tissue for the glycogen (stored glucose) it contains ...

But the low-carb diet will also wreak some havoc. When your body breaks down lean body mass—muscle—for energy, your metabolism slows because muscle tissue burns up a lot of calories. This may be one reason that the weight often comes back after you’ve been shunning carbs for a while.'

as if this is what really happens the human body... SMH!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <Wince>