Official diabetes diet misinformation - any candidates for the Darwin Awards?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    OMG! :s

Which are kids more likely to thank a parent for when they're old enough to reflect - good health, or having had the "privilege" of becoming addicted to candy, doughnuts, and chocolate milk (and the hefty doses of insulin, weight gain, etc. that come with it)?

I seldom go to WalMart and when I came in the story I went to the right (bakery) and to be deli in the back. I could have filled a cart full getting on one of each item that was nothing but white flour, sugar and dyes. There was nothing cheap about the price either. I picked up a half gallon of Half and Half for $4 and 12 boiled eggs for $4. $8 would not have bought much of the junk carb stuff I mentioned. I still am shocked how I was killing myself one bite at a time for so many years. Hey I see some that smoke and using oxygen at the same time. Addictions can lead to strange behavior for sure.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Clearly the only way to eat low carb is to buy the low carb, grain containing processed foods at the store.
    Apparently if your celiac you can't possibly eat any low carb breads. You're all out of luck! There couldn't possibly be a way to easily search for a way to make bread without grains. I mean it's not like there's a vast resource at our finger tips where we can find literally anything within seconds by searching any term!
    hyw7nrcfi4r4.png
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Playing devil's advocate for the carb-y moms, they're probably operating on what they've been told by doctor's and dietitians. Its definitely their responsibility to do the research but it all seems to contradict itself.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    "Managing diabetes sustainably entails boosting insulin function, not depriving the body of starch and sugar from healthy sources like unprocessed starchy foods and fruits. There is evidence showing that unprocessed plant foods including starchy foods and sweet fruits actually improve insulin performance, making them ideal for preventing and managing diabetes."

http://m.huffingtonpost.co.za/asunta-simoloka/here-are-the-downsides-to-a-lchf-diet-that-you-have-to-consider_a_21642272/

Thx, @123sind.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Oh good God alive....
    Don't tell me. The next sentence reads,
    "In unconnected news, it has now been established that the best way of continuing the family line is for mothers to marry their eldest sons. Evidence shows that Eldest sons and mothers are inexorably linked via genes, thereby proving that a familial coupling is by far the most favourable option if one wishes to produce related heirs."
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Oh good God alive....
    Don't tell me. The next sentence reads,
    "In unconnected news, it has now been established that the best way of continuing the family line is for mothers to marry their eldest sons. Evidence shows that Eldest sons and mothers are inexorably linked via genes, thereby proving that a familial coupling is by far the most favourable option if one wishes to produce related heirs."

You sooooo got this!

(But is it truly unconnected?)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Not if the mother irons his shirts and starches his collars, no....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    What does that have to do with bananas?

In unrelated news, I'm just realizing how depraived I was as a kidd. I mean, I'm depraved on account I'm deprived.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    ...Although it might be easier if she uses resistant starch. From Green bananas.

Depraved and deprived. Who could have known one vowel's distance could make all the difference?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    ...Although it might be easier if she uses resistant starch. From Green bananas.

Depraved and deprived. Who could have known one vowel's distance could make all the difference?

Chk out Officer Krupke from West Side Story. :*
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Depraved and deprived. Who could have known one vowel movement could make all the difference?

There, I fixed it for ya.

• RalfLott
    Options
    Hmm. I don't know. The fact that I'm a food addict-in-denial or clueless idiot doesn't mean you should be treated like one....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Yes, @RalfLott but sadly (in my experience with the British variety of 'idiot') I know what our resident Doc means.

I've said before that I have been asked by customers and colleagues how on earth I and my H managed to lose the weight and get fit and healthy and when I explain how we did it, I get all the protests and weak-willed responses which all seem to begin with "Oh I couldn't POSSIBLY give <insert sh1tty-carb here> up!"
    So, idiot, stay fat and unhealthy then!

They all want the miracle cure without having to put in the effort, using the will-power and making the 'sacrifice' (which of course, as we all know, ends up not really being a sacrifice at all...). They want the solution without having to go through the work.

A recent visit to a hospital - a place where nursing and medical staff are on hand to get you back to health and keep you there - revealed that 4 different cafes and eateries sold ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that didn't have a shedload of carbs with it.

Sandwiches, cold pasta salads, taco wraps, bread rolls, Take-away sushi portions, chocolate bars, chips, high-sugar drinks, 'zero sugar' sodas... Nothing, but nothing was purely protein.
    If a health establishment can get it so wrong, but also promote and encourage the consumption of carbs - what hope Doctors of actually reversing the trends??

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think that's right. Most people won't want to change their way of eating. I didn't want to. I skated around LCHF for a year before actually doing it. Thinking about the switch was way worse than the actual change of diet.

I just get mad at doctors when they either a.) tell you information that will hurt you due to their ignorance or b.) they don't offer the helpful information that they do know about because they believe no one will do it... That's almost worse. :(