Moderate Low-Carb Support

Options

Replies

• Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    When I have sinus/cold problems, I use this sinus rinse to clear it. It really, really helps and shortens the infection. amzn.to/1VBLmNM

That stuff is basically salt and baking soda. I could make that at home. hmmmmm.... :grin:

I make my own for "snorting". It's also better if you use warm water. it's my allergy season (NOW) must have.

• Ringbearer2
    Options
    I really kinda suck at moderate carb. I gotta figure out what I want my goal to be, right now I'm bouncing all over the place. I'm fairly certain I'm not going to lose any more lbs which is fine if I can get rid of some of the fat.

Yeah, me too. I feel like I'm being really conscientious but there's no movement on the scale or measurement wise lately. I'll just ride it out I guess. it was so much easier when I was 25 and could love 20 pounds in a month without much effort on around 1500 caps a day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When I have sinus/cold problems, I use this sinus rinse to clear it. It really, really helps and shortens the infection. amzn.to/1VBLmNM

That stuff is basically salt and baking soda. I could make that at home. hmmmmm.... :grin:

I make my own for "snorting". It's also better if you use warm water. it's my allergy season (NOW) must have.

It's DEFINITELY better with warm water. And during the worst of allergy season I add a few drops of whole foods bought glycerin. An ENT suggested that to me. I looked stunned so he said: "what happens when you put glycerin up your bum?" Well played Dr. ENT, well played....
  • Ringbearer2
    Options

It's DEFINITELY better with warm water. And during the worst of allergy season I add a few drops of whole foods bought glycerin. An ENT suggested that to me. I looked stunned so he said: "what happens when you put glycerin up your bum?" Well played Dr. ENT, well played....

That is hilarious.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

@baconslave @Ringbearer2 @Sabine_Stroehm Does anyone have the ratio for this? I discovered the hard way not to use iodized salt... Is it just 1:1? I'd LOVE to be able to make my own at home. I wouldn't have to pay crazy prices then. CANNOT believe I never thought of this before.

And Sabine, my guy gets USP Verified vegetable glycerin for making his own vape juice - would that be what you are referring to?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@baconslave @Ringbearer2 @Sabine_Stroehm Does anyone have the ratio for this? I discovered the hard way not to use iodized salt... Is it just 1:1? I'd LOVE to be able to make my own at home. I wouldn't have to pay crazy prices then. CANNOT believe I never thought of this before.

And Sabine, my guy gets USP Verified vegetable glycerin for making his own vape juice - would that be what you are referring to?

1 tsp salt: 1/8tsp baking soda: 8oz water -is one I found
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I just buy saline. I'm lazy and it's cheap. And yes, USP glycerin. A few drops in the neti pot after the water and salt.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I use 1/4 tsp each salt and baking soda to 8 Oz distilled water, warmed.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I wonder with the differences in recipes which one resembles the NeilMed brand most. I know whatever was in the Walgreens and CVS versions (the other branded one, which I've forgotten in the intervening years) burned me so badly I almost had to get some cream or something... But the name branded one worked for me. EDITED TO ADD CLARIFICATION - the name brand NeilMed one worked. The name brand one I've forgotten burned me, as did the generics.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Been trying to up my carbs without just going hog wild on carby junk. It seems the past couple of days though I've been struggling more with light headedness and dehydration. As if I can't drink enough water to keep hydrated thus dropping my bp. I nearly fainted yesterday about 10 minutes after I finished stretching after my jog and bp was 92/60. I had some powerade with extra salt added. This am I'm feeling a little wonky still so having more sodium. I just don't get it. if I up my carbs shouldn't I retain more water and not have this issue.

Thanks for the tip on the gel eye drops, I picked some up today and they seem to be helping, though they felt kinda weird at first.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. if I up my carbs shouldn't I retain more water and not have this issue.

It's a trickier balance with exercise. I was almost always ketogenic after a run, even at around 100g carbs.

I'd burn around 500 kcal on a run. Maybe half or more from glucose. So that'd be equivalent to burning 60-80g carbs in about 30 minutes.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Taco bowl tonight.
    A little bit of black beans
    Greens
    Sour cream
    Onions
    Cheddar
    Salsa
    Avocado
    ground beef
    Maybe some diced tomatoes

Doing the "can't wait till supper" shimmy.

@auntstephie321- That stinks. I usually have BP dips when standing up too fast. And it stays around 105/65 most of the time. So any drop makes more a difference. Thankfully exercise doesn't tank mine. But a couple weeks ago, my littlest (5) fell and about knocked one of his front teeth out (blood everywhere) and the stress made me about pass out. I had to sit with my head between my knees. That boy is a rowdy, maternal-hearattack waiting to happen 24/7. Very unusual for me to react like that. Bloodwork makes mine tank now too. When I was fat, my blood pressure was always slightly elevated. Not quite "high" but flirting with it for sure. So all this business is weird.

I end up eating an apple or banana or a couple cups of popcorn at the end of the day to keep it around 100. I plan in beans, too. We had some leftover stuffing from a turkey dinner that I added last night... Not the best choice, but despite an apple, I was hurting for carbs. I can only eat so many cups of spinach and broccoli, y'know. And I'm not much of a fruit bat, overeating fruit isn't an issue. I had a tbsp of honey the other day with my bedtime tea...blurgh. I really don't like honey much either. Peanut butter is good but very calorie dense. I'm getting some cashews today. And more plain yogurt, which is fairly carby. I add vanilla extract and stevia and pumpkin spice. Yummy. Annnyway. I feel your pain on that one. I plan my whole day ahead and log it, so that helps but it's still tricky.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    *Cross posted from Keto group.

Just checking in here. I'm completing week 4 of All Animal April (Low carbers group). It has gone well. I really haven't struggled, though, there are a few things I really miss. Macadamias, olives... I think I'm going to be done with it. I haven't lost any fat or weight throughout the process. I'm not sure which direction I want to go in. I've been very low carb for a very long time. I see some of you are increasing carbs a bit, for various reasons. I toy with that idea, but it scares me as well, because of a remote history of insulin resistance.

@Fvaisey- congrats on passing up those chocolate chip cookies!! Well done, you!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @baconslave it is really scary when it drops like that. I have normally low bp but it seems to go up when exercising then drop back down hard especially if I'm dehydrated. I'm thinking its somehow related to my thyroid but I don't really know how they would determine that. of course dr google says I probably have heart disease. :/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Taco bowl tonight.
    Greens
    Sour cream
    Onions
    Cheddar
    Salsa
    Avocado
    ground beef

@auntstephie321- That stinks. I usually have BP dips when standing up too fast. And it stays around 105/65 most of the time. So any drop makes more a difference. Thankfully exercise doesn't tank mine. But a couple weeks ago, my littlest (5) fell and about knocked one of his front teeth out (blood everywhere) and the stress made me about pass out. I had to sit with my head between my knees. That boy is a rowdy, maternal-hearattack waiting to happen 24/7. Very unusual for me to react like that. Bloodwork makes mine tank now too. When I was fat, my blood pressure was always slightly elevated. Not quite "high" but flirting with it for sure. So all this business is weird.

I end up eating an apple or banana or a couple cups of popcorn at the end of the day to keep it around 100. I plan in beans, too. We had some leftover stuffing from a turkey dinner that I added last night... Not the best choice, but despite an apple, I was hurting for carbs. I can only eat so many cups of spinach and broccoli, y'know. And I'm not much of a fruit bat, overeating fruit isn't an issue. I had a tbsp of honey the other day with my bedtime tea...blurgh. I really don't like honey much either. Peanut butter is good but very calorie dense. I'm getting some cashews today. And more plain yogurt, which is fairly carby. I add vanilla extract and stevia and pumpkin spice. Yummy. Annnyway. I feel your pain on that one. I plan my whole day ahead and log it, so that helps but it's still tricky.

How are you with grains?
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing low carb some days keto others I get as much as 75 grams of carb. I can't believe how good I feel. Less body pain and stable mood.

Though some people feel you should not swing in and out of ketosis, to me it feels natural. I remember when I was doing the Perfect Health Diet (150 grams of carb with an 8hr eating window) I would be in ketosis at the end of my fast. That really surprised me.

My plan is currently a 16-18hr fast with fats and then two low carb meals. I generally save higher carb days for meals out. There is not a lot of thinking or planning involved which is good for me right now.

• auntstephie321
    Options
    I am currently doing low carb some days keto others I get as much as 75 grams of carb. I can't believe how good I feel. Less body pain and stable mood.

Though some people feel you should not swing in and out of ketosis, to me it feels natural. I remember when I was doing the Perfect Health Diet (150 grams of carb with an 8hr eating window) I would be in ketosis at the end of my fast. That really surprised me.

My plan is currently a 16-18hr fast with fats and then two low carb meals. I generally save higher carb days for meals out. There is not a lot of thinking or planning involved which is good for me right now.

I think once you are adjusted to keto that swinging in and out is ok. it would be really rough in the beginning though if you were trying to stay in keto, to keep bouncing in and out. I feel that our ancestors probably dipped in and out all the time but since their bodies were used to it they didn't have any ill effects. That's where I want to be too.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    @MDAPebbles67 , are you maintaining doing this? Or are you still losing?

Thanks

M
  • baconslave
    Options
    Taco bowl tonight.
    Greens
    Sour cream
    Onions
    Cheddar
    Salsa
    Avocado
    ground beef

How are you with grains?

I appear to not have a negative effect from them (or if there is one it isn't immediately noticeable)