Meticulous May?

Options

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Day 1: not a big success. We were out for lunch with in laws and I hate not knowing what I'm eating. Stuck with meat and veg, but it must have been a lot of calories because we ate at 2 and I wasn't hungry at all in the evening. So skipped dinner in the interest of not eating when I'm not hungry!

Today will be trackable as I'm at home (it's a public holiday today in the UK). Does mean that I don't get to go the gym (I have a one year old so I can only gym on my lunch break from work) but I may be able to get outside and mow the lawn.

Hope everyone else's first days went better than mine!

Starting weight 194.4
    I'll take measurements later on today too
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My first day was a success in that I was meticulous in tracking my food and drink but not a success in that I are and drank too much.
    I like this challenge because I am already realising the things I would normally not bother tracking (the odd coffee out and about, a cup of tea at home for example) and how they actually do rack up! It's making me accountable!

• jackinorrie
    jackinorrie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do this May Challenge. Where are the rules? Where do we log in? What exactly is expected for this challenge ? Thanks for helping a newbe navigate!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    So I just finished off a 3-day binge (yes, lots and lots of carbs) for my birthday. Not that I had any problem logging what I ate, just ate lots of carbs and lots of calories. Part of it is water weight, but I gained 7.8 lbs. between Fri. morning and today (Mon. morning).

So anyway, I logged yesterday like every day, but today I'm back to low carb.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm in (starting today). I log religiously for the most part, but my goal is to hit my goals better. I really want to see if there's a big difference if I adhere better to what I laid out. I have generous goal, so it shouldn't be as hard as I've been making it!!
  • Rockkap
    Rockkap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'll join! I log every single day and have an open diary. Please feel free to add me (open diaries only). Fairly new to Keto still.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    May 2 - Here we go!
    SW 189.5
    CW 148.0
    GW (May) 144.0

Carbs <40g.
    Exercise - plan on running tonight.

Yesterday I cooked my meals for the week. All prepped and sorted in my Tupperware. Everything packed nicely in the freezer and fridge. Bought my avocados, HWC. You would think I'd be in great shape today. Um. Left my lunch bag on the kitchen table this morning and left for work. Now I'm sitting here bummed out. It's a 45 minute drive one way to the house. The lunch at work is a chicken sandwich with kale salad. I suppose I will have to suck it up and pay the $5.00 for the chicken without the toasted ciabatta. There is a ton of fruit, potato chips, pretzels, snack bars. Lots of carbs around, but nothing in my plan. I didn't eat breakfast cause I was rushing around this morning. It's 10am there is an old avocado in my desk. I think I'm going to risk it. I just cut into it. If there are brown spots can you still eat around it? I guess I will find out...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    @slimzandra if there are just a few brown spots it should be fine to eat around them. I've done it and I'm still alive! lol

Day 1 went well yesterday. Of course I'm kind of OCD with logging so I've not missed a day in 1226. I finally lost some weight this weekend. I've been pretty well stalled over 3 weeks as I've started upping exercise and I guess there is some water retention involved there. Anyhow I'm down a pound total from Friday to Sunday so that was nice.

Today I have leftover chicken parmesan stuffed meatloaf for lunch and I've got carnitas in the crockpot for dinner so I'm off to a good start. I'm planning to do some strength training tonight before dinner.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Im in! I think I'm at day 25 or something, but I haven't been counting all my bites. :blush:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'd like to do this May Challenge. Where are the rules? Where do we log in? What exactly is expected for this challenge ? Thanks for helping a newbe navigate!

I'm not the boss of this here challenge but so far we are doing things in this thread. Scroll to the top and click the little star in the top right to bookmark it. This will notify you when there are posts to it and so you can find it easily. Or I have a stickie thread at the top of the group main page you can find it in.

We're trying to obsessively meticulously log for 31-days. :lol:
    Others have added (the OP in particular) no cheats and no artificial sweeteners (which you'll sometimes see abbreviated as AS). As for the rest it is up to you on how you want to report. Daily or weekly? Want to add starting weight and keep track? That's up to you.

Day2 for me. I did well yesterday. I'm trying to lose the weight I've gained due to stress/emotional eating due to evil health BS that affects my energy-level and sleep. I had to move from keto to moderate low-carb, which bought me instant water-weight. Saturdays are the devil. And between eating too many calories, too many carbs, and drinking on Saturday, I basically RUIN all my progress for the week. Which is dumb. So I'm going to not cheat for all the days this month and not blow my calories on Saturday. Not drink, because it makes me feel like garbage the next day.

Weight today: 163
    13lb up from my goal weight I hit for 2 sec in Dec. Shame on me. :disappointed:

There will be 2 weekends that I might not be able to log. We'll be camping and the campgrounds...one has spotty wifi and the other has none. So I'll be logging in my head as best I can.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Day one went well. I don't know if it qualifies as "meticulous" exactly, as I don't weigh or measure food, I just eyeball it, lol. Haven't logged in a few months, and don't know that it will make much difference, but if nothing else it will keep me focused on making good choices.
    @slimzandra - I've eaten avocados with some brown spots before (avocados are pretty expensive where I live, so I suck it up even if they are a bit past their prime), the texture may be off, but it won't hurt you.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    May 2 - Here we go!
    SW 189.5
    CW 148.0
    GW (May) 144.0

Carbs <40g.
    Exercise - plan on running tonight.

Yesterday I cooked my meals for the week. All prepped and sorted in my Tupperware. Everything packed nicely in the freezer and fridge. Bought my avocados, HWC. You would think I'd be in great shape today. Um. Left my lunch bag on the kitchen table this morning and left for work. Now I'm sitting here bummed out. It's a 45 minute drive one way to the house. The lunch at work is a chicken sandwich with kale salad. I suppose I will have to suck it up and pay the $5.00 for the chicken without the toasted ciabatta. There is a ton of fruit, potato chips, pretzels, snack bars. Lots of carbs around, but nothing in my plan. I didn't eat breakfast cause I was rushing around this morning. It's 10am there is an old avocado in my desk. I think I'm going to risk it. I just cut into it. If there are brown spots can you still eat around it? I guess I will find out...

Yes you can!
    becwana wrote: »
    @baconslave - the drink is my problem too - even on days when my food has been perfect the naughty glass of vino (or 2!) tips me over!!

Yeah. It really adds up the cals. Plus, unlike normal people, low-carb does not make me a lightweight drinker, so the amount of vodka needed to make me buzzy is a calorie-bomb still. I'd feel better the next day if I were drinking whiskey, but DH buys the booze and he's cheap, so he gets the bottom-shelf vodka, and that stuff doesn't like me at all for some reason.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options

As @baconslave said there aren't really any rules :)

The aim is to track more fully for May to stop carb creep and to be accountable for food choices.

I initiated the challenge with the aim being to keep within my macros for the 31 days and to stop myself from choosing artificial sweeteners (in particular quest/Atkins bars) instead of properly planning food for the day.

But mainly to log everything I eat (which has already gone terribly as I was out yesterday and have no idea about carbs/calories in the meal I chose). So onwards and upwards :)
  • staylorim
    staylorim Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Count this slacker in... Time to get back on track.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I didn't log all day yesterday but I am in as of today! I need this after a rough Ad Lib April. Need to get back to my maintenance range and stay there. I went up like 1.5" in my waist. :/ My belly was disproportionately big even at my slimmest so that's been a problem. I want all my clothes to fit well again!

And a huge ditto to carbs screwing up my body's fullness sensor. I hate feeling hungry all the time. I'm really not sure yet what my maintenance carbs will be. Right now I'm thinking maybe 50-75 but I need to be more careful than I was in April about what they are. Too much sugar.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    'Meticulous May' for me is not about logging everything, since I do that anyway, but will be about choices of what I stuff in my mouth and exercising. I was NOT meticulous with choices in April (even tho I kept under 30 carbs daily and did lose a few pounds) and am now feeling lethargic. I need to get back the energy and positive attitude I had with the better choices of physical activity and what I eat.

SW (Dec '15) 247
    CW (5/1/16) 198.2
    GW (5/31/16) 193
    GW (Dec '16) 175

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    So are we going to do daily check-ins for this? I think I did better with those.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @macchiatto I agree. It'll be daily for me :)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Major fluid retention for me today. Weigh was up ~ 4 lbs from yesterday. I did not log at all in April and was doing the All Animal challenge, which made it much easier. No carbs to even think about. I'm back to logging and tracking now.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    @macchiatto and @reblazed I'm in for daily. I'm UK so will probably be checking in earlier than others each day. Feel free to tag me if I haven't checked in by the time you do :)