Oops. Ate the.......

Options

Replies

• Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    From reading these replies, seems like a lot of trips off the wagon happen in either a) social situations, or b) at the store.
    I am a) single, and without children or others living with me and really don't go anywhere with anyone ever these days because I have no life outside of being married to my career and engaging with people from the interwebz, and b) order my groceries online (and stick to a list). So this is bittersweet.

(I also exaggerate about a billion times a day, but really, not having anywhere to go or anyone to be with, plus restricting what I buy through a website has REALLY been a boon for me on this WOL).

There's not one single item in my house that I could eat and immediately really be "cheating", even though I feel guilty when I eat Frankenfoods sometimes (processed meats/cheeses, products made with soybean or canola oil, a couple funky "bread" replacements...things which are all low-carb but I'm still trying to kick), I honestly want to eat really clean, wholesome things ONLY, as much as possible, from now on. Not only is it sustainable because name brand Frankenfoods which are low carb cannot be guaranteed to exist forever (and this is my new forever WOE), but also because eww, some of that stuff is atrociously gross to me, and I don't want it in my body anymore.

Where do you order your groceries online?
    Around here, you can order online and pick up....
    Are you having them delivered? If so, I want in on this information! =)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I see little trophies and action figures among the booze
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    b) order my groceries online (and stick to a list). , plus restricting what I buy through a website has REALLY been a boon for me on this WOL).

Due to health issues, I've had to use online grocery shopping a number of times over the past year. I totally agree that it helps tremendously with eating healthfully. There are no unplanned splurge purchases. Plus, I save money because I can see ALL the sale items online as opposed to only those in the sales circular, and of course, I save by not making any unplanned purchases. I have become a fan of online grocery shopping.

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Are you having them delivered? If so, I want in on this information! =) [/quote]

I live in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina. By me, Harris Teeter and Lowe's Foods offer online shopping - both pickup and delivery. Delivery is pricey - about $20/delivery plus tip. But for some people, I'm sure the time savings is worth it and it can be a lifesaver for those who are housebound.

• MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    *ahem* the rest of the batch of fat bombs. :#

Yup. I discovered I just shouldn't make them at all. :)
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    Are you having them delivered? If so, I want in on this information! =)

Hi, @Cryren8972 - I get my groceries delivered after I order them online through a local chain here in St. Paul, Minnesota. There's also Coborn's and Kowalski's - but I believe they're strictly for Twin Cities or St. Cloud/greater metro area.

Elsewhere, folks can try to see if these are available in their area (Google Express and Prime Now are fairly new and still rolling out to different areas of the U.S.):
    http://www.instacart.com/
    https://primenow.amazon.com/
    https://www.google.com/express/

• bjwoodzy
    edited July 2016
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    Delivery is pricey - about $20/delivery plus tip. But for some people, I'm sure the time savings is worth it and it can be a lifesaver for those who are housebound.

That's definitely pricey. Here, they don't require a tip, and delivery is $9.95. And that's about how much an Uber ride costs me in the metro area from a large grocery store - I'm very urban and don't drive and HATE shopping in stores in my city (there's always some unseen child ten feet from me, screaming bloody murder, I hate people and lines and self-checkout is a technical nightmare sometimes, I could GO ON)...so since shopping only frustrates the crap out of me, I go less often, thereby having a bigger cartload, which I cannot carry home by train or bus, so since it's about the same as an Uber, I get it delivered. No headaches, no hassle, I pick the time / day I like, and everything is hunky-dory.

I'd honestly probably still pay $20 plus a tip, shopping is really something I loathe. Online is easy once you have ordered a few things and know the sales and can avoid the junk :) Oh, and the magic of lists! You can instantly just repeat orders with a few clicks and you're done. Most of them nowadays accept PayPal and debit card, or they run your card at delivery.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Macadamia nuts. Nature's fat bombs. So good. I think I've eaten $10 worth this weekend.
    I see little trophies and action figures among the booze

I know! They appear to be super drinker who have won awards for drinking accomplishments! :D
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Macadamia nuts. Nature's fat bombs. So good. I think I've eaten $10 worth this weekend.

I started a new 6 oz jar yesterday and polished it off today :open_mouth:

PS - if anyone has a Dollar Tree store near them...they have 6 oz jars of macadamias for $1. YES. ONE. DOLLAR.
    I also get my packets of hickory smoked almonds to keep in my purse...and the chili limon peanuts.

You bet your *kitten* I nearly bought them out - Okay, I got 2 jars back a few weeks ago, then got 5 more last week.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

PS - if anyone has a Dollar Tree store near them...they have 6 oz jars of macadamias for $1. YES. ONE. DOLLAR.

Holy Mackerel!

A true public service.

Many thanks!
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    I also get my jars of pickles, black olives there. Sometimes I get a little pack of crumbled feta (3 oz bag) if I'm broke or just don't feel like paying $6 for 3 oz more of the same brand as my store carries. Oh, and they have things like turkey burgers, turkey bacon, ham steaks, smoked sausage, the occasional pork chop in there. It's hit or miss, if you have one with a fridge/freezer section. But worth checking out at least every couple of months, as things tend to rotate and new things come in.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Mexican food last night. And, that includes chips and queso as well as the deep fried carbtastic bowl that my fajita taco salad came in. It'll probably take me a week to drop back to the weight I was yesterday morning, before the big splurge.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I started a new 6 oz jar yesterday and polished it off today :open_mouth:

I also get my packets of hickory smoked almonds to keep in my purse...and the chili limon peanuts.

You bet your *kitten* I nearly bought them out - Okay, I got 2 jars back a few weeks ago, then got 5 more last week.

Oh wow. We don't have that store up here. :( Canada. "True north strong and free" my *kitten*. Maybe true north strong and expensive. Or taxed. Taxed would work in our national anthem too.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I live in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina. By me, Harris Teeter and Lowe's Foods offer online shopping - both pickup and delivery. Delivery is pricey - about $20/delivery plus tip. But for some people, I'm sure the time savings is worth it and it can be a lifesaver for those who are housebound.

I live in the UK... as long as you spend over a certain amount (from most stores) your delivery is free, and we don't tip anyone ever so no tip for the driver. I had not appreciated this until just now.

How do you guys cope with babies and having to go to the supermarket?! Online shopping literally saves me about 100 meltdowns a week (and therefore much chocolate).
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    oops, double post
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I live in the UK... as long as you spend over a certain amount (from most stores) your delivery is free, and we don't tip anyone ever so no tip for the driver. I had not appreciated this until just now.

How do you guys cope with babies and having to go to the supermarket?! Online shopping literally saves me about 100 meltdowns a week (and therefore much chocolate).

I used to choose my grocery store based on shopping carts. Superstore and Costco has carts where two toddlers could be strapped into the seats, and there was enough room to strap the infant carrier on too.... I so do NOT miss shopping with my boys at that age!
  • Beachlady228
    Beachlady228 Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Just got back from a week (and two 8 hour travel days) of taking care of my 89 year old mother with late stage Alzheimers. I had good intentions of staying keto - went to the store first thing. But as the stressful week went on and with all the other food around I caved. I didn't really enjoy any of the carby junk except for the fruit. First day home. A little scared that I won't be able to get right back. (Six months keto - down 40 pound, well now 37).
  • bjwoodzy
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Oh wow. We don't have that store up here. :( Canada. "True north strong and free" my *kitten*. Maybe true north strong and expensive. Or taxed. Taxed would work in our national anthem too.

Lol. But you Canadiahoovians have a lot to be thankful for, too :)

• Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Are you having them delivered? If so, I want in on this information! =) [/quote]

[/quote]

I live in the Piedmont Triad! (don't you love the names?)
  • SueMizzou52
    SueMizzou52 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I drink I make very bad food choices so I'm currently in the no booze camp. Vodka has no carbs but the rocky road it leads to is carb laden