LCD Chat...

Options

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    hi everyone! Thank you @ProCoffeenator for starting this thread ok so I'm going to be celebrating the first anniversary of my 39th birthday this year lol and honestly find myself in a very different place in my life that I had imagined when I was younger. I'm happily married, I have two young sons, employed full time while working on my bachelor's degree in human services (I want to be a social worker) and a part time caregiver to my 85 year old grandfather. my life is full! Being a T2D is what led me to Lc and now keto. I love it, I'm close to 20 lbs down in less than 3'months and my blood sugars are great!
    I never developed a real love for gaming with exception of the Sims lol if they count. Any me time I spend with my nose in a book, that's my nerdy side . I'm not a real animal person but if I had to choose be a giraffe cuz I would love to be tall lol I'm only 4'11 If I could give myself advice I would go to my 25 year old self and plead with her not quit college. it's taking me close to a decade to graduate lol
    Friends- With limited time, I have only a few true friends. I think friendships deserve time and attention so I went squander that on just anybody
    City or Country-I'm more of a city person but I want to be by a beach. I could never live in a concrete jungle
    Long time vision- healthy, healthy kids and with a master's degree :)

My questions:What is your favorite book? Do you have a favorite author?

I love all different types of genres but one of my favorite books is The Good Earth. An excellent book! A favorite author of mine is Amy Tan
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My favorite author is Christopher Hitchens, but to pin down a favorite book would be nigh impossible. Most of his best work is in essay format, so his collections of those are very good. His collection titled Arguably is always a good place to start.

Though, he's most well known in this area, for his book God is Not Great (How Religion Poisons Everything), which pissed off plenty in this part of the country.
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Great idea for a thread!

The morning of my 40th birthday I weighed myself and was shocked and upset to see I was over 300 lbs. I decided the next day I would start a new keto life, and I did. I started off eating 50 net carbs for the first 5 weeks, weight loss was pretty slow, I got impatient, tried another keto-style diet for a couple weeks, then went back to regular keto. I dropped down to 30 net carbs on the other diet, and have stayed there, and am happy to say my weight loss has picked up... I'm down 13 lbs so far in 8 weeks. I enjoy walking with a friend, but I'm not able to walk very far yet. I'm working with a physical therapist to help me with my old SI joint injury issues. I started out doing 1500 steps a day, and a week later I'm up to 2000 steps... Every little bit is progress!!

Other facts about me... I'm a friendly introvert, I live on a gorgeous rural gulf island in Canada, we own a tiny little house that is cute as a button, it's just over 600 sq ft and perfect for our little family. We have two cats who are our beloved fur-babies. I was married, divorced, single mom for awhile... Then a couple years later met and married the love of my life. We have a teenage son. For fun I watch Netflix documentaries and comedies, experiment with keto recipes, listen to story telling podcasts, sit and read on the beach in the shade (I'm very fair and burn quickly!), go on dates with the hubs, camp with my family, and have coffee with my girlfriends. My husband and I co-own a commercial hair salon. He is a very talented experienced hair stylist and I'm a very experienced administrator/bookkeeper. We make the perfect team. I went back to school a couple years ago and got a diploma in graphic design and I'm also an aspiring writer who hopes to be self published one day...

Answer to the last question about my favourite book. I don't have a favourite author or book as much as I have a favourite genre... I LOVE memoirs and true adventure stories. Some of my favourite books include It was Me All Along by Andie Mitchell, Miles from Nowhere by Barbara Savage, Twenty Miles per Cookie and What Were We Thinking by Nancy Sathre-Vogel, and anything by Bill Bryson.

My question is... If money wasn't an object, where would you move?

My answer is nowhere, I'd stay here... I love where I live and never grow tired of seeing the every changing mood of the ocean, or the rockies off in the distance. I feel very fortunate to be a Canadian.
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Some great new questions - adding some answers

Goals for 2016 - to find peace with myself - no longer bingeing/beating myself up over food

Long Term Vision - To enjoy life and feel healthy

City or Country - this is a difficult one if it was just me, I would say country every time, but my son doesn't cope well with being too isolated so we are aiming back towards a town life but hopefully on the outskirts so I am close enough to the country to not feel stifled

If you could give yourself advice - mine would definitely be to go back to when I was 32 and tell myself to leave my sons father (I was pregnant at the time) and he turned out to be emotionally abusive and made my life hell

Fav Book - not sure about this one, I love reading - at the minute it tends to be factual books, but I do love historical books too so Phillipa Gregory books are great too (love the Tudor era)

If money were no object - I would definitely move to the Outer Hebrides in Scotland - absolutely love the peace and quiet and to live by some of the best beaches in GB would be awesome - but would also have a house in Barbados to escape the bad weather too LOL
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Fun thread! My name is Melanie, I'm 40 in a few days, definitely a motivating factor in my current weight loss journey. I've struggled with my weight and food addiction my entire life. I smoked from age 15 to 25 and just quit one day and never looked back, never ever had another cig. I always wished I could just quit eating, it seemed like it would be easier than eating "in moderation" I knew smoking in moderation never did me any good. When I realised I could just quit carbs, it changed my life.

I was born in England, grew up in Northern California, spent my adult life in Seattle, San Francisco, LA and Las Vegas and 2 years ago I moved to Scotland, where I now live in the country. I work in marketing and have been fortunate enough to work from home much of my career. I'm celebrating my 10-yr wedding anniversary in October, my husband and I have been together for 15 years, no kids, no pets right now (our doggie passed away two years ago, which is the only reason we were able to move to Scotland, we would never have left her behind or stuck her in quarantine to relocate her).

The questions thus far:

What is your go to exercise?
    Hillwalking, it seems to be Scotland's go-to fitness activity, I never get tired of the views.

How do you decide who to friend here and what would make you unfriend someone?
    I'm happy to be friends with any positive low carbers. I'd unfriend someone who was being mean to others.

If you could choose any animal to represent you, which one would you choose?
    That's easy, a lion. I'm a Leo and am definitely the queen of my jungle.

What is your stretch goal for 2016?
    Now that I'm living in the countryside with no distractions, my goal is to start and actually finish my first novel.

What is your favourite low carb recipe?
    I'm not really into recipes, so I'm one of those "throw things together" people and I'm kind of into pizza in a bowl right now with mince meat, a dollop of tomato sauce, mushrooms, onions, peppers and cheese. But ask me next week and I'll have a different fav.

What is the first thing that pops into your head when you're trying to stay focused and motivated to do this?
    What is my blood sugar? I'm a T2 diabetic and frequent monitoring throughout the day keeps me focused.

City or country life?
    I'm a city girl loving her country life right now, but it's kind of a test to see if we can really do it. So far, so good.

If you could go back and give yourself 1 piece of advice, what age would you be and what would you say?
    I'd go back to 13 year old me and tell her to put the food back in the cupboard and go for a walk, that packet of ramen and bag of chips is not going to solve your problems, but a couple of miles under your feet will give you your sanity back.

What is your favourite book? Do you have a favourite author?
    Right now I'm enthusiastically revisiting Story by Robert McKee, he's a massive writing inspiration for me. I attended his writing seminar 16 years ago and his lessons have really stuck with me. I'm excited to be going to his seminar again this Fall in London, I think I'm finally ready to focus enough to get this damn book written. My fav author is Dean Koontz though, I love escaping with a good thriller.

If money wasn't an object, where would you move?
    Money was an object, but I'd move to Scotland :smile:

What is your favourite LCHF vegetable?
    Mushrooms, they go with everything!

And my question...

What is the one thing you look forward to the most about reaching your goal weight?
    I look forward to traveling more comfortably, not worrying about the size of airline seats and having the energy to explore when I reach my destination.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's a Marvelous Monday!! For those of us worker bees the first day of the work week.

Let's keep our chat going!!

What was your camel straw moment that made you decide to finally lose weight?

Who or what is your motivation?

My camel straw was knowing my health was deteriorating. This itself should have been my straw but it wasn't. What got me was the day I was outside with all the kids at work and one came up to me "Miss Jenn? Are you having a baby?" Umm... Nope. "Oh! So you are just really fat then." The baby comment is no big deal, it's was the just really fat comment that hit home.

Motivation is my health. If I don't push myself to succeed it's going to be a downward spiral. I've got two kids depending on me, a 10yo and a 4yo.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It's a Marvelous Monday!! For those of us worker bees the first day of the work week.

My camel straw was knowing my health was deteriorating. This itself should have been my straw but it wasn't. What got me was the day I was outside with all the kids at work and one came up to me "Miss Jenn? Are you having a baby?" Umm... Nope. "Oh! So you are just really fat then." The baby comment is no big deal, it's was the just really fat comment that hit home.

Motivation is my health. If I don't push myself to succeed it's going to be a downward spiral. I've got two kids depending on me, a 10yo and a 4yo.

My camel-straw was pain. I had bulging discs in my lumbar spine impinging the nerve root so I also had numbness in my foot, and surgery was the "only answer" but I was told I had to lose weight first. Since losing over 100 lbs, 2 of the 3 discs no longer bulge and the 3rd one is much smaller - and surgery is no longer on the table as an option because it is now deemed "unnecessary!!!"

I will say, though, it took a while for the pain to be enough of a motivator! I received that ultimatum almost 6 months before I finally took the plunge and logged into MFP.

My motivation is my kids. I want to be around for them as long as humanly possible - not just around, but active and engaged. Especially as they are getting older (teens now, how did that happen?!?!). I grew up with a fairly absentee father (we lived on a dairy farm so he worked LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG days out in the barns and fields) and an obese mom who physically couldn't do much with us, and I don't want that for my kids. My husband is a workaholic and even though he's lost 65 lbs so far he's still morbidly obese and has little interest in breaking from work to be involved in ACTIVE thing with the kids (he'll take them to do things HE likes to do - movies, mostly - but isn't interested in THEIR interests) so it mostly falls to me.
  • Carnivorekat
    Options

The camel straw moment for me was realising I had got to 21st, and felt awful - I wanted to do so much with my life but here I was at 43 and reaching the heaviest weight I had ever been, looking at photos I looked awful and it finally hit home that I hated the way I was treating myself.

My motivation is feeling better in myself and being able to look after my son (who has a lot of special needs) for as long as I possibly can. A lesser motivation is to look good in clothes I have bought in a shop not designed for fat people.

The one thing I look forward to most about losing the weight is shopping for clothes that look fab and feel great - I am a wacky crazy person who loves bright clothes and until recently a lot of clothes I saw out and about for fat people were frumpy and dull, I want to be able to wear bright fun clothes
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.
    I'm 49, married for 11 years. After being very active in high school, then 8 years military, then working construction I never worried about my diet. Gym rat, spent 5-6 days per week working out. Great shape, then got married at 38. Wife wasn't in to hiking, working out, or social events, and I gradually stopped also. The marriage also brought a move to Texas, so oppressive heat and humidity helped to keep me indoors. Career changed too, progressed to upper management for a large multinational corporation; desk job. Diet changed from "I'll eat high protein, but only when I'm actually hungry" to eating breads, pasta, potatoes nearly every meal. Packed on 10 lbs per year.

1.5 years ago I hit 285, knew it had to change. Began cutting calories, but diet was still high carb. I was hungry ALL THE TIME, so cheat days turned in to cheat weeks. After a year I had lost 20 lbs. More accurately, lost 20 lbs in a month, then yo-yo-ed for the next 11. Needed results. Studied up on keto, gave it a shot. Down nearly 20 more lbs, and never feel the urge to cheat. Still not exercising regularly, but that is phase 2.

Favorite books? I love Heinlein, Dawkins, Sam Harris, Robert Ingersoll. yes, I'm an atheist. But the best book I've read recently is "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. Incredible book, too bad part two wasn't quite as engrossing.
  • Carnivorekat
    Options
    loving this thread - I suppose my favourite vegetable would be either chilli's or garlic (as I am ZC I don't eat veggies)

the main response I get is are you sure thats healthy you really should be eating veggies!!!!

Favourite season has to be spring - April (as my son was born in April)

Sorry to hear about your experiences @Carrie_3 I hope this WOL keeps you cancer free.

I just realised I never asked a question (LOL) - what is your favourite holiday destination?
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm Ang...I'm 38, happily married with a grown daughter. I grew up outside of D.C. but I've lived in WV since I was in junior high. I like reading, watching comedies, trail running, and coffee. I'll try to answers all the questions so far....

Trail running and hiking. WV has a lot of nice parks and trails!

I will basically accept anyone who requests me. I like to be friends with other low carbers for menu ideas. I don't think I've ever had to unfriend anyone but I guess if they were creepy or pervy I would.

A penguin. I just really like penguins. Plus they are short like me! :)

Sadly I'm not very goal oriented. I have no idea.

It's hard to pick just one. I like fathead pizza. I like spicy cauliflower mac & cheese. I just like food! lol

What is the first thing that pops into your head when you're trying to stay focused and motivated to do this?
    I think how far I've come and how much better I feel now. Also how nice it is not to be hungry like I was when calories were my focus!

City or country life?
    In between. I grew up in a big city and now I live in a very small city I guess. I don't think I'd like to live in a big city again just due to traffic and everyone being rushed. I don't see myself as a country person either. I just need somewhere big enough to have a 24 hour grocery store and one or two restaurants open all night. I'm a night owl and I feel a strange sort of security knowing that there are places open. Also I feel uneasy if there isn't a hospital nearby!

If you could go back and give yourself 1 piece of advice, what age would you be and what would you say?
    I'd go back to my 16 year old self and tell her not to be in such a rush to grow up!

I love reading mostly murder mysterious or thrillers. My favorite book is the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath or most any Agatha Christie book. My favorite author is Agatha Christie. I also like Jonathan Kellerman and Dean Koontz a lot.

Hmmm New Orleans, Charleston, or Savannah. I really like old southern cities.

I'm not a huge veggie eater. I like cauliflower when it's loaded up with cheesy sauces. lol

Camel/Straw moment and motivation?
    I was diagnosed with RA and I was looking for a diet to control pain and inflammation. My motivation is to stay healthy and reduce RA flares.

Response I get from others who hear of my diet?
    I couldn't live without carbs!

Favorite month/season?
    Fall...around October because it's cool but not cold. Perfect running weather plus provided it's not raining or snowing the woods are beautiful!

Favorite holiday destination?
    New Orleans or the beach. I really want to go to Ireland but my husband is more fiscally conservative than myself and keeps vetoing my trip ideas. sigh

Question: Is your family supportive of your LCHF lifestyle?

My husband jokes that all I eat is meat and cheese and that I've made my already restricted diet even more restricted (I was gluten free for celiac before). He's supportive though. He eats my keto recipes. Sometimes I add some single serving sides like microwave mashed potato or rice for him.

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @Carrie_3 Hi neighbor! I'm in Canton!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Taking a good, hard look in the mirror at 265 pounds, and the next day, stumbling across this blog post: NSFW warning http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/06/your-fat-is-unequivocally-your-fault.html There's also four more parts, if you're so inclined, but they were all written after my moment of clarity.
    http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2013/03/your-fat-is-unequivocally-your-fault-2.html
    http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2014/02/your-fat-is-unequivocally-your-fault-4.html
    http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2014/10/your-fat-is-unequivocally-your-fault-5.html

I can't seem to find part 3 for some reason.

ETA: found it, just had a different title, so it threw off my search. http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2013/10/your-fat-is-definitively-your-fault-3.html

Never rejoining the heaving, waddling masses that seem to perpetually expand. My natural tendency toward rebellious behavior has worked to my advantage for once.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    What a fun thread!

I'm Diana. I am 39 years old, married, and I have 4 kids, ages 15, 4, 3, and almost 2 (the first 3 are girls; the baby is a boy). We also have a female Sheltie pup who is 12 weeks old. I was born in Canada, raised in upstate New York (mostly), and moved to Louisiana in 2005 for graduate school to get a Ph.D. As it turned out, I finished everything but my dissertation and final internship, so I took the Masters and ran. :) While I was living in Louisiana, I met my husband, and we started our family and subsequently moved to the Houston area in 2013 to be near my in-laws, who are very very involved in helping us raise our kids. Never in a million years did I ever imagine I'd live in Texas.

With three back-to-back pregnancies in my mid-30s, each followed by a period of time breastfeeding, I literally let myself eat whatever I wanted for about 5 years. I was already significantly overweight to start with, and when all was said and done, I weighed 236 pounds. I was disgusted with myself, still wearing maternity jeans at 6 months postpartum, and started researching weight loss. All the articles and studies I looked at that made sense pointed to lower carb as being most effective with the least effort, so I ditched the starches and sugars cold turkey, literally halfway through a box of Valentine chocolates in February 2015. To date I have lost 60 pounds, although I've only been maintaining for about the past 6 months.

Because I'm limited on time, if I exercise at all it's usually just a 15-20 minute video of something very basic and beginner I can do in the office or at home.

I only accept friend requests on MFP from other low-carb folks, because that's why I'm here and because we get a lot of flack from people who do not follow a low-carb way of eating. There are a couple exceptions, but they are friends from other areas of my life and honestly rarely log in here anyway.

An elephant. Patience, family, awareness, strength.... :)

To build up my clientele enough that I can transition to private practice in lieu of my full-time job. Was this supposed to be health-related? I'm very career-focused right now, because the rat race is what's keeping me from establishing an exercise routine and spending more time with my family.

Low Carb Chile Relleno Chicken Soup (http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/10/low-carb-chile-relleno-chicken-soup.html)

Sluggishness, bloating, GI symptoms, and joint aches the next day are all pretty good motivators to avoid something problematic. I also remind myself that "bad" foods are triggers to eat more of the same and that it quickly adds up.

City or country life?
    I've done both. I don't like living IN a city, but I like living NEAR a city. I much prefer smaller towns--something where everything I could possibly need is within an hour's drive but where I can feel comfortable walking down the street unaccompanied.

My first marriage was an impulse decision and resulted in a whole world of heartache that continues to this day (did I mention my 15-year-old does not live with me?), so I would probably go tell my 21-year-old self to take a chill pill and not rush into a major decision like that.

I enjoy nonfiction and professional development books. I'm currently reading The Body Keeps the Score, by Bessel van der Kolk. It's about trauma.

Italy. Perhaps I should learn Italian.....

Mushrooms technically aren't vegetables, are they? Spinach, I guess. I don't eat much of it, though.

I think I answered this already. I was disgusted with myself for my food choices and my weight gain. I stepped on the scale and realized I weighed more postpartum than I did during any of my previous pregnancies. I was literally stuffing my face with sweets. So I quit. I want to be fit for myself (to feel good and feel like I look good), my husband (to look good for him and with him), and for my kids (to be healthy and energetic so I can enjoy them and vice versa).

First, people are impressed with my weight loss (if they knew me before), but then when they ask what I'm doing and I tell them I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, or sweets, they say, "Oh, I can't live without bread."

Favorite month/season?
    October. I miss New York/New England Falls. It's my birthday month. But my oldest daughter was also born in October (4 days before my birthday), so it's a little bit of a sad time too, because I always miss her. Christmas is my favorite holiday, so the entire Christmas season makes me a little giddy.

I don't get to vacation much, so I can't really say. I'd love a trip to an all-inclusive beach resort, but that's yet to happen in my life. My favorite place to go is home--to Massachusetts to visit my parents.

Is your family supportive of your LCHF lifestyle?
    My husband is proud of me but also sometimes tries to shove cookies in my face because he thinks it's funny. However, when he starts noticing he has put on weight, he comes to me for help. The kids are too little to notice.

New Question: What kind of work do you do?
    I'm a counselor, but I haven't really worked in counseling for the past 5 years, just due to relocating, difficulty finding work in a new city with a provisional license, then relocating to another state and having to start the licensure process all over again (sort of). I've been working in vocational rehabilitation, treatment planning, case management--work that requires a degree in psychology or a related field but not really in my area of interest or expertise. I finally got my full license to practice independently about a year ago, and last week I was approved as a provider for a major insurance company, so I'm finally getting back to doing what I love. <3
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'm Jessica, or Jess, or Panda. I'm 25 and live in Washington state with my husband, 2 kids, and 18 chickens. We have all the fresh eggs we want, and then some! I work as a call center manager remotely, which means I'm glued to a desk 8+ hours a day. Ouch. I'm also finishing up grad school.

What is your go to exercise when you are lacking motivation? For me, motivation is a constant issue. By the time my day is ending, I'm exhausted and really don't want to do anything but chill with my hubby, which usually involves hours of Netflix or raiding the DVR for goodies. I find that if I drag myself, kicking and screaming with lots of complaining, to the gym, I fall into the rhythm of my usual workout and am almost always glad I went once I get into it. I have an image in my head of the body I want, and that's going to require me to keep working at it, even when I really, REALLY don't want to. I'm also really motivated to go to yoga at least once a week, for my mental health. It's a major de-stressor and helps me relax, so that when my week has been particularly heavy, it's my go-to coping mechanism. I have been in Virginia for school and then strained a muscle, so I haven't been in a few weeks, and I'm really feeling it.

I usually get good and sweaty with a 30 minute run on the elipticle, then dive into weights. I really like weights! I also can't leave the gym with at least 5 minutes hardcore on the fan rower.

I just friend anyone who friends me. It's not like you're seeing a ton of my life like you would on Facebook. I'm not choosy.

Hmm, that's actually a tough one. I guess at one point I would have related well to a panda (hence the name?)- roley poley, squishy, and smacked with a serious case of the munchies. I'm really not sure what I'd choose now.

I'd like to lose another 30 pounds this year. That would require me to lose 5 pounds a month for the remainder of the year, which is more than I've been losing lately.

Is bacon a recipe?

"I want that it my mouth but I don't want that in my body". It's my mantra at this point.

City or country life?

I'd like to live in the country, but close enough to the city to commute and have shopping and good schools accessible. Somewhere on the outskirts of city limits would be ideal, with an acre or three and room for a big garden, more chickens, and potentially a few animals. I'd really like an accessible microfarm.

I'd tell suicidal 15 year old me that I'm going to be alright, to stay strong and persevere. Life gets better for you, kid.

I'm the type that either devours books or takes months to read one, relishing in every page turn. I read almost entirely historical fiction, and love getting lost in a past era. Currently I'm halfway through Forever Amber, and I think the heroine is one of my favorites. It's not often you find a heroine you truly don't like, and that really appeals to me. She's spoiled and bratty, self-centered, vain, and cold-hearted, and has a serious case of entitlement.

I'd stay in Washington, but move back to the west side of the state. I miss the ocean.

Rainbow chard for sure!

I had put away my scale, complaining that it just made me sad to see weight gains that I felt I had no control over. My "fat jeans" wouldn't button. It was shortly before my 23rd birthday when I stepped on the scale and topped out at 334. Just 3 months prior I had been around 305. That was a major wakeup call for me. To make matters worse, a family member was visiting from out of town and took a picture of me and my family, and I felt like I was engulfing them. I was so much bigger than my husband, and my kids looked so tiny next to me. It's one of my most hated, and now most loved, pictures. I keep it handy as a reminder of how I got to that place.

Generally the response is really positive, especially now that I'm eating low carb but not keto. I'd routinely get looked at like I had 3 heads when ordering a sandwich without the bread. At this point people are seeing the progress I've made and that really speaks for itself, so when they hear what I'm doing, they're supportive of it.

Favorite month/season?
    Spring. Probably around March or April, when the flowers are coming back and it's mild but not cold. I also like the fall for all the beautiful colors and mild weather.

We really don't travel for holidays. That being said, if I could take a trip anywhere, it'd be to Arkansas where my grandparents live. They're the only biological family I've kept in contact with, and I'd love them to meet their great grandkids before it's too late.

Is your family supportive of your LCHF lifestyle?
    Very much so, although I'd say my husband is more supportive of low carb than he was of keto. He watched me going through major dizziness and having trouble with cravings and it's clear to him that low carb has been healthier for me.

[Question: Of all the changes you've seen in yourself since starting this WOE or your weight loss journey, what has been your favorite?
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    *waves* Hello everyone! I'm coming into this one a bit late, so it's taken me a while to catch up with all of the posts, but it's great to "meet" you all :)

I'm Wendy, 44 years old, living in southern British Columbia. I'm a mother of three - two boys (18 and 12) and a girl (16) in the middle. I'm an insurance agent just going back to school to finally finish my bachelors degree in English lit so I can teach high school English hopefully before I hit retirement age! I was also in the Canadian army for awhile a few years ago.

My husband and I have been married for 15 years, but we were separated for seven years in the middle of that - we tried to get divorced but the court kept rejecting it for one reason or another, and eventually we found ourselves back together so it seems things have worked out the way they were supposed to.

I'm a writer - I've been working on a novel for many years, but I just don't have the time to devote to it that I would like to, so it's been shelved for a bit. I'm an artist as well. Weight lifting has become a passion of mine as well, and I'm finally getting back to it after a couple of months sidelined by a strained forearm.

My weight loss journey started at 236 lbs in February 2010, when I found myself sitting on the couch watching the Olympic Winter Games and thinking to myself - look what these people can do! And here I am, sitting on my duff getting bigger and bigger all the time. I got up off my duff the next morning and went for a walk. Before long walking became running. Then I accidentally hit send on my application to the army before I had fully decided I wanted to do it, and suddenly I had a fitness test to pass - off to the gym I went. I was 204 lbs then, and I hired a trainer to put me on the right path so I didn't make a mess of things. By the time I reported for basic training I was 168 lbs - the smallest I have ever been.

Several injuries later, I decided not to remain in the military and headed home to heal. And hit 200 lbs again!! Argh, I was so mad at myself. Last October I decided I'd had enough, and got back on the weight loss horse - doing the calorie counting thing - which got me down to 180 but I stalled there. The LCHF thing looked interesting, since my body does not really like carbs much even though my mouth does - I bloat and get IBS, and it's just not a good scene. I'm down to 170 again, and counting :)

The questions I have copied - but I might have missed some, so I apologize in advance for that:

Weight lifting, with 30 sec spurts of activity in between each set, like box jumps, split lunge jumps, burpees, etc. Great workout! My fave.

I've been here for a long time, but never friended anyone. I set this account up to track things just for me, and the whole community part of it didn't matter at all to me, but since my best friend joined and friended me here, I thought - maybe I should participate too. I try to send invites to people who seem to have a similar outlook - I'm very positive and energetic, and I believe the people you surround yourself with infect you with their enthusiasm.

Hmm perhaps a wolf? I'm always off on some adventure but I'm fiercely loyal to my pack.

I'd like to see what 150 lbs feels like!

There's so many good ones, but one that my whole family loves is Caveman Keto's Cheesy Chicken Casserole :)

Cheesecake. But then I tell it to go away!

City or country life?
    I like to be close to the city so I can go there and enjoy it, but I prefer to live in the country.

I'd go back to 36 year old me and convince her not to give up on her husband.

I love fantasy. Except for his last three books, I have been a huge Terry Goodkind fan for many years and I've read Wizards First Rule so many times!!

Somewhere Mediterranean, like Greece.

Cauliflower, easy! It is so versatile.

What is the one thing you look forward to the most about reaching your goal weight?
    Maybe my belly will actually be abs by then!

I promised myself when I lost it the first time that I would never see 200 lbs again, so when I got on the scale last October and it said 199...that's all she wrote.

Me. This journey is all about me. What makes me feel good, healthy, strong and confident. A happier me means a better life for my kids and husband too, so its a win all around!

Now for my question - what interesting side effects of weight loss have you noticed that you didn't expect? For me...I thought I had bad knees and a bad back, but as the weight disappeared so did my knee and back pain! Who knew?
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Jumping in...so let's see I'm 51 and live in Minnesota (original from Canada). I work in the food industry as a buyer and I'm married with grown kids and 2 grand kids! Most of you know, I'm in the midst of cancer treatments but...I'm almost done! I was so thankful I didn't need chemo, just surgery and radiation oh and stupid drugs for the next 10 years!

Yoga, biking and walking. I used to love weight lifting but I hurt my back (boo!)

I typically accept friends from most people, I just need to know where you found me (ie: LCHF group).

A cat :) tabby to be exact!

To hit 135 lbs by the end of the year. I'm currently at 144 lbs.

What is your favorite low carb recipe?
    My afternoon snack of pecans and coconut chunks. Yummy and full of healthy fat!

I think of all the amazing clothes I could be wearing :)

City or country life?
    Country all the way!

I'd go back to my early 20's when I started eating far too much chocolate and started to gain some weight! Like...stop it and get some control!

What is your favorite book? Do you have a favorite author?
    Jacqueline Winspear, Maise Dobbs series. Highly recommend it!

Caribbean :)

Lettuce...it's great with some sunflower seeds and mayo on it. (my LCHF salad)

Actually, learning how to be in maintenance successfully!

Never been happy with looking frumpy, especially as I've been aging.

Me and my health!

What interesting side effects of weight loss have you noticed that you didn't expect?
    How great eating LCHF actually makes you feel. More energy, less tummy issues.

My question (silly one): What is your favorite color? Mine is more a color family: Black, grey, purple :)