LCD Chat...

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If you could go back and give yourself 1 piece of advice, what age would you be and what would you say?
    Don't blindly listen to doctors. Question everything. I did that for too many decades to my detriment.

This is so insightful and resonated with me.
    I wonder how many of us would be in better health today, if only we had questioned our 'all-knowing' Docs, back in the day. *hand raised high*

For me, it was my primary care doc telling me to take Vitamins with Iron for chronic anemia. I ended up getting an emergency blood transfusion and was finally referred to a hematologist who put me on a regiment of iron infusions. What a.....Quack! Quack! Quack!

Primary Care doctors don't know anything. Mine told me I had a cyst in my breast, almost didn't follow through with the ultrasound, but I did at the last minute. Turned out to be cancer. I think the only things they can handle is prescribing antibiotics and nothing more.

Wow...
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Primary Care doctors don't know anything. Mine told me I had a cyst in my breast, almost didn't follow through with the ultrasound, but I did at the last minute. Turned out to be cancer. I think the only things they can handle is prescribing antibiotics and nothing more.

With me it was 20 years of being told I had anxiety/was nuts/lazy/ until finally someone thought to check my thyroid.

Then I had 20 years of the wrong medication.

It took several expensive visits to a licensed naturopath in Vancouver to find out what was really going on.

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »

With me it was 20 years of being told I had anxiety/was nuts/lazy/ until finally someone thought to check my

This really upsets me.some medical professionals are just so darn arrogant to say you know I'm not sure what you have, let me run some tests or let me refer you, noooo they just blame the patient. smh. :neutral:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »

With me it was 20 years of being told I had anxiety/was nuts/lazy/ until finally someone thought to check my

This really upsets me.some medical professionals are just so darn arrogant to say you know I'm not sure what you have, let me run some tests or let me refer you, noooo they just blame the patient. smh. :neutral:

To be fair though, many people are dumb and/or liars. When you see the number of people that doctors do, I feel like you're just going to become cynical and assume the worst, until proven wrong.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    ***Nurse notes the last few posts, turns quickly but quietly and leaves the thread....*** :blush:
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's just another Manic Monday.......

(Okay, who sang that with me?)
    Morning everybody!! My weekend was very productive work wise. The other side of that is that my steps were way down since I was on the floor surrounded by paperwork! On a good note, all my mess has been filed away and put in its place!

My scale showed an increase this morning (cue the music) Shark Week is rearing its ugly head. I can feel it... Bleh. Although this is the first time I haven't dove face first into a bag of chips or cookies! I'm not even tempted!

Reading through all the posts about PCPs. I'm on the other side of the fence here. I love mine. She is a rare gem and really takes her time and follows through with me and my family. She just straight up rocks!

Time to face the music and start getting ready for work. I'm hitting it hard today since my weekend was lacking on the exercise and movement that I needed!

Have a great day all!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    This nurse notes the medical industry posts above too! I have to add!

After ten years of being a SAHM, then returning to work last fall, I can see a terrible difference in medical care! The infiltration of pharmaceutical companies into what we can tell our patients about the medications they take is detrimental! I'm very disillusioned with the profession! I haven't started on the insurance companies, and their role in undoing medicine! But, the medical, and nursing, boards have allowed it to happen! :neutral:

Carry on! :blush:
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Manic Monday? Well it wasn't manic to start. But now that I've spent the last hour and then some catching up on the chat in LCHF forums. . . It will be manic for a bit while I get caught up on the day. That's good, though, as it will mean less eating out of ennui and more moving out of necessity.

• CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all!
    @ProCoffeenator - Yes, I did sing a little bit

My weekend was quite productive. I didn't hit all my goals, but I am set up and ready to have those goals finalized for the coming weekend. This morning, I am able to wear some scrub pants I haven't been able to wear in almost a year! Hooray for fats and protein!

This week at work will be interesting and possibly horrible...lol. Never a dull moment. I am ready, so bring it on!

Enjoy your day!
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    @ProCoffeenator I admit it - I sang along in my head :) It's not a manic Monday here though, we have a stat holiday in BC so I have an extra day to be with my family! \o/ It didn't start well though, I was awakened at 5:45am by my son being violently sick in the bathroom down the hall. Seems like stomach flu, since no one else is sick and he ate the same as the rest of us did. Hopefully it's one of those be-really-ill-for-a-few-hours-then-feel-better things. He's asleep again for now at least.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »

To be fair though, many people are dumb and/or liars. When you see the number of people that doctors do, I feel like you're just going to become cynical and assume the worst, until proven wrong.

Yep, you're right.

On top of that, it's difficult for most of us to change set ideas about the The Way Things Are.

The nurse at my endocrinologist's office has stories of enduring food superstitions that would put most sci-fi yarns to shame.....

But still it would be nice if opticians, podiatrists, GPs etc, would stop barking ADA recs from the 90s with the conviction of a Sunday School headmaster.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I had a three day weekend so it was hard to get back to work this morning! Today is my mom's b-day so we'll probably take her to dinner tonight. I'll pick up a cake. I'm always fine not eating any. :)
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    ***Nurse notes the last few posts, turns quickly but quietly and leaves the thread....*** :blush:

:):):) The nurses who took care of my spouse in hospital were awesome. The doctors were...doctors.

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I hope that everyone knows I was just kidding when I wrote this last night. I think I've said it before - I struggled a LOT with the idea of eating our WOE instead of what was ingrained in me for so many years as a healthcare provider. I found my way for sure and I know that no one here thinks of me as the health care enemy :smile: I don't have my own PCP right now and every time I think about getting a physical I cringe because I don't know if I'll find a doc on board with this WOE and I won't fight the fight with him. Truly - if anyone at all felt bad about this, I'm sooooooo sorry! It was meant to be funny. I learned a long time ago not to take myself to seriously and that's what I was doing here - not taking myself or my career choice too seriously. Have a great day!

I hope I didn't offend anyone, that was definitely not my intention. ive worked with doctors for the majority of my career and I've seen the power both Big Pharm and insurances have on in medicine. It's shocking. That being said I also agree that the majority of people do lie and do not advocate for their own health. On the same token, we have been taught not to question the advice and knowledge of doctors, and to do so is being a difficult patient. I've seen patients labeled this unfortunately in some of the practices I've worked at. So instead of listening and working with the patient, the doctor just breaks out the drug pad. Smh sorry I'll get of my soap box now lol
  • GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!! I did indeed sing the Manic Monday song lol. But today really wasn't one. I'm fluctuating up and down by a couple pounds. I had a binge last night, luckily it was foods that would normally be on plan. But still not good.
    Since someone was kid enough to put all the questions so far in one post. I figured I'd answer them.

What is your go to exercise when you are lacking motivation?
    I don't have one. I do Zumba and it's so fun I don't really mind.

How do you decide who to friend here and what would make you unfriend someone?
    Anyone in the Low Carb/Keto etc community. I'd unfriend someone if they weren't active for months at a time.

If you could choose any animal to represent you, which one would you choose?
    A cat of course!

What is your stretch goal for 2016?
    Not sure what you mean by "stretch goal" But my goal is just to get healthier.

What is your favourite low carb recipe?
    Crack slaw!!!

What is the first thing that pops into your head when you're trying to stay focused and motivated to do this?
    "Remember how you used to come home from work and pass out on the couch? Do you eally wanna do that again?"

City or country life?
    City all the way but with access to nature

If you could go back and give yourself 1 piece of advice, what age would you be and what would you say?
    Age 17. He is going to turn out to be a loser and get you into a lot of unhealthy stuff. Stay far away.

What is your favourite book? Do you have a favourite author?
    Wow, I can't choose just one. I love the Harry Potter series. Also really like the Anita Blake, The Hallows, Dresden Files and Women of the Otherworld series books.

If money wasn't an object, where would you move?
    Nowhere. I love Portland and couldn't see myself anywhere else.

What is your favourite LCHF vegetable?
    Cauliflower.

Response I get from others who hear of my diet?
    "Oh you're doing that buttered bacon diet." Or "Are you sure you should eat all that fat?"

Favorite month/season?
    Fall. October specifically.

Favorite holiday destination?
    California to visit my family.

Is your family supportive of your LCHF lifestyle?
    Yep. They don't understand it so well but they support any effort I make to get healthy.

Of all the changes you've seen in yourself since starting this WOE or your weight loss journey, what has been your favorite?
    The energy!
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    There are all sorts of doctors out there. Like I've said before I love mine but to some she might seem a bit easy on prescriptions. However I've had her a long time now and she knows that when I call for myself it's an honest something is wrong. Usually I'm calling about my son who has a million different health issues. When he was first born and in the NICU his lead doctor's name was Doctor Doctor. I *kitten* you not! So now all his doctors we refer to as Doctor Doctor. Lol
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When I started keto I decided to make a doctor's appt and get a full panel of bloodwork done so I have something to compare to as I go... I was pretty nervous about telling my doctor what I was doing because he's been my doctor over the last 8 years and seen my weight go up and down a lot... He supported me through doing the controversial HCG protocol... watched me lose 45 lbs then regain it all plus another 20 lbs... Then helped me get approved for WLS, and was pretty disappointed when I backed out last minute (after jumping through hoops for close to a year!). Imagine my surprise when I told him I'm doing low carb and he said he was too!!! He only has about 15 lbs to lose, but he's the one that recommended Tim Noakes and the banting diet, and told me he's been watching tons of youtube videos and is totally on board. He is SO excited that I'm doing LCHF. Moral of the story... healthcare in rural Canada kinda rocks... ;)

It's the long weekend here, kiddo started a new soccer camp this morning, slept in, and now having a quiet morning at home with the hubs. Will likely get dressed and go have a date... we get very little one on one time with a chatty little teen boy around the place... ;)
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It's Tough it Out Tuesday!!

Everyone has their challenges. Especially when trying to follow this type of WOE. My health issues seem to be one of my biggest challenges. I need to up my exercise but I have days where my body just can't handle it. Those days I plan on doing some gentle yoga sessions and have to be mindful not to be so hard on myself. Usually people say push through it! Just go out and get it done! For me if I push my limit, I'm down and out for a few days after that.
    My biggest hurdle right now is my leg. I'm going for my ultrasound this afternoon to see what's going on with it but currently I've got at least one superficial blood clot. It's become more irritating and painful.
    I've found for me making a plan on paper as a visual really helps me hold tight and tough it out. That way when I'm faced with the challenge I've already got a plan in place.
    For my leg currently, my back up plan is if it hurts too much to get my goals for a regular day is gentle yoga, arm exercises, and i also have my reminders of why I'm going to tough this out and keep going. Things like my kids, reduced pain in the long run...

So I'm challenging everyone to try setting up one for themselves! What is a challenge that you are struggling with that you can make a plan for BEFORE you are facing it.

Have a great day people!
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with organization and clutter. For many weeks now the house has been in constant disarray due to painting, repairs, new carpet. I have been maintaining great patience, but is wearing thin as I move around piles of stuff. What I really want to do is take 75% of what I have and push it out to the curb or donate it. The garage is the worst! An abyss of crap that MUST GO! So much to do and so little time in between work and social commitments.

My idea is to purchase or create a huge calendar, write down all the tasks I need/want done, and set goal dates for each task. I think I will include the day to day chores too. Crossing off completed tasks will help me feel a little more accomplished, like I am moving forward...not piling up.