Options

Replies

• idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I also live in Florida, which is fantastic,

Lilith...I am missing my beloved FL, my winter home. I am in KS right now. Discovered two days ago that my propane tank is empty (I am a full time RV'r) because I must have nudged one of my stove knobs out of the "off" position when cleaning. I never use my stove as I use a 2-burner induction cooktop for most everything. (the propane is on in case I need it for my hot water heater or the furnace) Thank goodness my carelessness led only to a very slow leak over months...I didn't blow myself up!! :smiley:

So the past couple of days have been very cold and my space heaters have only kept my inside temps at mid 50's at night (no sleeping nekkid) and mid 60's during the day. I have a big road trip planned in 10 days so not really motivated to close everything up & drive across town to fill the propane tank...I'm just sucking it up on cold days/nights.

Been kinda lazy because of the cold...resorted to making cheesy chips with Kraft Deli Deluxe cheese and topping with tuna salad made with homemade mayo. Today will try for first time, fritters made with leftover spaghetti squash...here is link to recipe if anyone is interested...

http://juliasalbum.com/2014/09/bacon-spaghetti-squash-fritters-recipe/

Hope you all are having a fantastic day!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »

here is link to recipe if anyone is interested...

What are you going to use for flour? I imagine the gluten-free King Arthur's is uber-carby. I might try this with coconut flour, I need a bit of change from my current side dish of choice which is queso de freir.
  • idocdlw
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »

here is link to recipe if anyone is interested...

What are you going to use for flour? I imagine the gluten-free King Arthur's is uber-carby. I might try this with coconut flour, I need a bit of change from my current side dish of choice which is queso de freir.

I'll be trying with almond flour. Haven't made yet...but will post an update tonite...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Cold in Vancouver today! -7 Celsius....bailed on my butt on my way to the bus today twice. Gnarly marks on my hands from breaking my fall but it's all good. I actually have a dinner tonight and I'm looking forward to it because I don't have to cook and I don't have to pay for it! Yay for clients! lol

Have a good one folks!

Holy smokers, Sam!!! What the heck is going on there? Now I may have to check up on weather at home. At least I won't have to worry about the place as my parents live 6 places down from us. Weather has been 30C and quite humid, I seem to have a frizzy white girl 'fro goin' on and feel sticky a fair bit of the time. Can't figure out how the ladies around here wear tight jeans and long sleeved blouses, or pantyhose with their pencil skirts, but I guess once you live here for a while you get used to it. Jamaica is definitely more humid than I expected.

@ProCoffeenator hang on to that unicorn, sometimes that's all we have til we can catch our breath again.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Cold in Vancouver today! -7 Celsius....bailed on my butt on my way to the bus today twice. Gnarly marks on my hands from breaking my fall but it's all good. I actually have a dinner tonight and I'm looking forward to it because I don't have to cook and I don't have to pay for it! Yay for clients! lol

Have a good one folks!

Holy smokers, Sam!!! What the heck is going on there? Now I may have to check up on weather at home. At least I won't have to worry about the place as my parents live 6 places down from us. Weather has been 30C and quite humid, I seem to have a frizzy white girl 'fro goin' on and feel sticky a fair bit of the time. Can't figure out how the ladies around here wear tight jeans and long sleeved blouses, or pantyhose with their pencil skirts, but I guess once you live here for a while you get used to it. Jamaica is definitely more humid than I expected.

@ProCoffeenator hang on to that unicorn, sometimes that's all we have til we can catch our breath again.

The end is near! We are supposed to get more snow tonight!

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Have a good one folks!

I am going to Vancouver (well, Fraser Valley since my parents moved) next weekend and my goal was to be warm this Christmas... Not -7! (Although it is still warmer than here...)

0h0ppgy7domm.jpg
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    On our vacation in Oregon...we have a foot of snow and counting and it was 0 F yesterday!! It's gorgeous.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Is it really?
    Has it finally arrived?!
    It's Friday!!!

But, it's also still snowing.... not supposed to stop for a few days either! That's okay... it's not too bad. It's the cold that gets me.

My trusted unicorn kept me going yesterday I'll have to keep her around for the next few weeks I think!
    So here's the thing with my job... I love it. I really enjoy the side of being there and doing what I do. Currently as a company there are some major growing pains... and with pains I mean understaffed and over worked! Throw in large class sizes (that will hopefully be shrinking after the holidays) behaviors and holiday excitement? It's like a toxic mix!!

I'll survive this! Lol
    Thanks to my unicorn!

Have a warm day today!!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Have a good one folks!

I am going to Vancouver (well, Fraser Valley since my parents moved) next weekend and my goal was to be warm this Christmas... Not -7! (Although it is still warmer than here...)

0h0ppgy7domm.jpg

We are expecting 25 cm of snow today. I took the day off and haven't left my bed yet because I am scared to go out there lol.

Have fun in the Fraser Valley with your family @sarahthes hope it warms up a little for you when you come!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    -7C??? Try -9 F!!! Was the second coldest for the date on record. That my friends is some serious coldness.

Thank goodness the jet stream as moved and we actually made it above freezing (32F) today and will stay there for at least the next week.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Snow, snow and more snow!
    It's a snowy Saturday!!
    Not sure how much I'm going to accomplish today. My daughter has a birthday party to attend which will be pretty awesome for her. Swimming and rock climbing! The girl will get her exercise for sure!
    Unlucky mom has to brace the roads to get her there and find something to do for three hours to stay warm and cozy. I wish I could be exercising while waiting but I don't have a membership there and even with financial assistance it's still too expensive!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Mall walking?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    We're heading back to California today. I'm not ready to get back to real life and work. It was a wonderful week and I really needed this vacation!

I stayed mostly on plan...had a bit of wine and some gluten free pizza crust, but for a vacation week did incredibly well!
  • mayabrooks025
    mayabrooks025 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone.
    What is the best sugar substitute for diabetics? I'm borderline and haven't had sugar for almost a week but I want to make a dessert for Christmas and I also have a salad dressing that I love making but it asks for honey. Thank you so much everyone.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    My husband is T2D, we cook with stevia, liquid mostly, but some of the powdered as well.
    For a salad dressing I would just make it without the honey and see if you can use it that way if not find another dressing you enjoy. My husband uses Marie's chunky blue cheese instead of a sweet poppy seed dressing he used to love. He recently found a poppy seed without as much sugar and uses it now occasionally.

You might find more responses to this if you post a new thread with best sugar subsitutes in the topic title.

Just giving up sweetener for a week or so is really the best idea IMHO, YMMV.
  • mayabrooks025
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thank you so much, retire happy. I didn't eat sugar/sugar substitute in a long time but my Mom added honey to the recipe last night for the dressing and I ate it without knowing that she added honey. I was looking for an alternative but I have a really good recipe for homemade blue cheese dressing that is amazing and keto friendly.. no sugars added. Thank you again. :)
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    There is some research evidence which suggests that stevia (liquid) is best for people with diabetes and those who are insulin resistant.
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    Thank you, bametels!! I will give that a try for when I bake a dessert for Christmas.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Sucralose (brand: Splenda) is also a good alternative for cooking. Some sweeteners will break down during cooking, such as aspartame.
  • idocdlw
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi, everyone.
    What is the best sugar substitute for diabetics? I'm borderline and haven't had sugar for almost a week but I want to make a dessert for Christmas and I also have a salad dressing that I love making but it asks for honey. Thank you so much everyone.

I don't know that there is any "best"/"safe" substitute. On the rare occasion that I prepare a dessert that can be eaten by all, I personally use erythritol which is the same sugar alcohol used in many Adkins products. The most recent recipe I used was this...

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2016/11/low-carb-cranberry-shortbread-streusel-bars.html

The overall texture was a little different...a bit gritty compared to a traditional flour/sugar recipe but everyone enjoyed. Some chose to have with full fat ice cream and were very happy.

There is no way I would put ice cream on this, but if I could bring a few family members a few steps toward a more healthy option...I'll take it...all good.