LCD Chat...

Options

Replies

• ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!
    I've got today as my last day off from work.... it's also dentist day for me! Gotta fix my tooth finally!! I'm super nervous to go but will be so glad to finally get this done.
    Thinking I may attempt a fast today to kickstart my system again. It's needed... lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't expect everybody in this group to understand this, but... I'm a type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump and CGM. So I wake up early this morning with BG's in the 300's and feeling like my BG is high too. Take a ton of insulin, but continue to wake up several times with BG's continuing to rise despite taking lots of insulin. Finally, I just decided to change out everything in my pump - tubing, cannula (the plastic part of the tube that goes underneath the skin, reservoir, and insulin. When I pulled out the old cannula, I saw what was wrong - it was bent 90 degrees. The pump should have given me errors as it tried to push out insulin and couldn't, so I'm not sure what went wrong there. But I feel so tired and thirsty. I'm back at work today, and have been fine thus far. But it is good I don't have a very physically demanding job because I have no energy.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I don't expect everybody in this group to understand this, but... I'm a type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump and CGM. So I wake up early this morning with BG's in the 300's and feeling like my BG is high too. Take a ton of insulin, but continue to wake up several times with BG's continuing to rise despite taking lots of insulin. Finally, I just decided to change out everything in my pump - tubing, cannula (the plastic part of the tube that goes underneath the skin, reservoir, and insulin. When I pulled out the old cannula, I saw what was wrong - it was bent 90 degrees. The pump should have given me errors as it tried to push out insulin and couldn't, so I'm not sure what went wrong there. But I feel so tired and thirsty. I'm back at work today, and have been fine thus far. But it is good I don't have a very physically demanding job because I have no energy.

So glad you figured it out!!! My nephew has T1D - BG in the 300s is what sent him to the hospital for his initial diagnosis.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

So glad you figured it out!!! My nephew has T1D - BG in the 300s is what sent him to the hospital for his initial diagnosis.

I was much higher than that at initial diagnosis, but my highest ever was 938 mg/dl. I was in DKA, didn't have enough energy to even stand on my own, lost about 50 lbs. in a day between water weight and fat.

When in DKA as a type 1, you can't access glucose for energy... despite having plenty of glucose available in the blood when BG is so high because it can't be removed for energy or storage. So instead, you start relying on fat for basic energy in order to power organs such as brain, heart, lungs, etc. Meanwhile, your kidneys are trying to use osmotic diuresis to eliminate excess glucose from blood. This process - osmotic diuresis - only works with a single pass, so when really high BG, urination becomes pretty constant and you lose a lot of water in the process. Between peeing every few minutes and vomiting, there is a lot of water weight. Also, having to rely on fat energy in order to fulfill basic functions means a lot of fat loss too. Eventually, organs start failing due to lack of energy and you go into a coma, which also requires less energy. Ultimately, the person will die if left untreated.

I'm nowhere near that point as of yet, but that is what happens if things get out of hand.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you figured out the issue @midwesterner85! I hope you get to feeling better asap!

Struggling being back to work today. I had a packed 4 day weekend and I wasn't feeling my best. I would love to have had another day to rest but here I am!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I'm glad you figured out the issue @midwesterner85! I hope you get to feeling better asap!

Struggling being back to work today. I had a packed 4 day weekend and I wasn't feeling my best. I would love to have had another day to rest but here I am!

Thank you! I'm already feeling better and BG is already down to 158 mg/dl. I'm worried about dropping low due to too much insulin, but will break for lunch soon and try to load up on some protein in order to hopefully counteract a low without having to resort to as many carbs. Based on where I'm at and how much insulin should still be working, I don't think it will be too bad regardless.
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!
    Back to work for me. Short week then another three day weekend. I could get used to this!
    I survived my root canal. Wasn't the best experience but it wasn't to worst of worst either. Definitely not wanting to go through that again. It's still sore and everything around it's still sensitive. I'll be bringing ibuprofen with me today.

@midwesterner85 I'm glad you are on the mend! Have you called to report the error with your machine? Obviously something is wrong with it if it never showed an error. You don't want to risk that happening again.

Hopefully everyone has a great day out there today! Be safe and stay warm!!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Feeling like a truck ran me over. It's taken me chugging a red bull zero for me to wake up and function, even a cold shower didn't help. I've been working out super-hard, so I'm giving myself a rest day instead of three miles I was going to run. My Grandmother invited me to dinner tonight, and asked what I want to eat - I look forward to a cabbage salad and some sautéed chicken! I wish I could talk her into eating keto, she is a diabetic and would greatly benefit, but she refuses to give up the long-held beliefs that bread is life, so no dice. I'm just grateful she accommodates my eating style.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Feeling like a truck ran me over. It's taken me chugging a red bull zero for me to wake up and function, even a cold shower didn't help. I've been working out super-hard, so I'm giving myself a rest day instead of three miles I was going to run. My Grandmother invited me to dinner tonight, and asked what I want to eat - I look forward to a cabbage salad and some sautéed chicken! I wish I could talk her into eating keto, she is a diabetic and would greatly benefit, but she refuses to give up the long-held beliefs that bread is life, so no dice. I'm just grateful she accommodates my eating style.

I am going to take a break too...I have been busting my butt since Christmas.
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Happy Thursday!
    Back to cold again with winter weather warnings. Yay.
    Still fighting off the waterweight and gain from Christmas. I swear whenever I have something hurt or am sick in anyway I have a gain. Case in point, my damned tooth. Had my root canal done and gained. How's that even possible? Been doing IF since the day of. It's like my body goes straight to a panic mode. Doesn't help I indulged over the weekend with Christmas but still. My bad. Like trying to fix a flat tire with nails!
    Going to keep calm and Keto on! I've got this!

I've never been one for resolutions much. This year I plan on giving myself some goals. I'm going to sit down with a calendar and do long term and short term goals. All my health related will be posted here. I'm also planning on following an awesome tip and getting all my baselines on paper. I'm looking forward to seeing some major progress this year!

Have a great day everyone!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!
    Back to cold again with winter weather warnings. Yay.
    Still fighting off the waterweight and gain from Christmas. I swear whenever I have something hurt or am sick in anyway I have a gain. Case in point, my damned tooth. Had my root canal done and gained. How's that even possible? Been doing IF since the day of. It's like my body goes straight to a panic mode. Doesn't help I indulged over the weekend with Christmas but still. My bad. Like trying to fix a flat tire with nails!
    Going to keep calm and Keto on! I've got this!

I've never been one for resolutions much. This year I plan on giving myself some goals. I'm going to sit down with a calendar and do long term and short term goals. All my health related will be posted here. I'm also planning on following an awesome tip and getting all my baselines on paper. I'm looking forward to seeing some major progress this year!

Have a great day everyone!

I like this! I'm not a resolution person either, but this sounds like a great idea.
  • mickigoad
    mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I was much higher than that at initial diagnosis, but my highest ever was 938 mg/dl. I was in DKA, didn't have enough energy to even stand on my own, lost about 50 lbs. in a day between water weight and fat.

When in DKA as a type 1, you can't access glucose for energy... despite having plenty of glucose available in the blood when BG is so high because it can't be removed for energy or storage. So instead, you start relying on fat for basic energy in order to power organs such as brain, heart, lungs, etc. Meanwhile, your kidneys are trying to use osmotic diuresis to eliminate excess glucose from blood. This process - osmotic diuresis - only works with a single pass, so when really high BG, urination becomes pretty constant and you lose a lot of water in the process. Between peeing every few minutes and vomiting, there is a lot of water weight. Also, having to rely on fat energy in order to fulfill basic functions means a lot of fat loss too. Eventually, organs start failing due to lack of energy and you go into a coma, which also requires less energy. Ultimately, the person will die if left untreated.

I'm nowhere near that point as of yet, but that is what happens if things get out of hand.

So happy you figured this out before you got to that critical point. My stubborn husband is a non-compliant T2 diabetic who ended up in the hospital with DKA this past February. It's nothing to mess around with. Weird that your pump didn't sent you the error messages it should have... I'm not terribly familiar with how they really work, but do have T1 mom friends who complain about malfunctions with some regularity.

Take good care of yourself.
  • wimberleybonnette737
    Options
    Got back from visiting family out of town yesterday. I was able to stay true to the keto diet the entire time we were gone. In fact it was easier to eat that way than to eat the SAD, low fat high carb diet. For once I was not stressed out by my food choices or lack thereof and did not "cheat" one time!!!! Merry Christmas to me! Hope you are all having a good day.
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Hello Friday!
    I'm glad it's here! I've got so much to do this weekend. Lots of cleaning to do. I need my floor space so I can get my motivation for exercises lol.
    Work first. Feet up tonight (cause I deserve it) then attack the mess on Saturday.
    Hope you all have a great day today!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Finally a day (night actually) off after 6 straight. But of course I can't sleep right away. I won't have to go in to work til the 4th YAAAY!
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Happy Saturday everyone!!

The weekend is here! Time for cleaning, groceries and hopefully at some point some relaxation! Lol.

No plans for the new year celebrations. Staying home and watching tv most likely. The joys of being a single parent!
    I'd like to think 2017 is going to be a better year! We say this every year don't we? But anyways Be safe if you are heading out!
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Happy New Year!!
    It's Sunday and we are stepping out to a brand new year! I hope everyone who celebrated was safe and enjoyed their night.
    Today I'm setting my baselines and starting to explore my current abilities. From there I'm going to work on improvements.
    I'm also going to take updated progress pictures and add them to my files!
    I'm so excited to see where this year is going to take me.

Have a great day out there!!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year, everyone! I hope 2017 is good to all of you. :smile:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. The feasting season is now done. Time to get back to what works. I actually stayed up for midnight in my time zone.

Hope everyone remembers their long green and change for prosperity in the New Year. I'm doing kale for the long green (a lot of that) and black eyes peas (small amount) for the change. The Southerners will know what I am talking about o:)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm in charge of collards and another will bring the black eye peas. My crowd is primarily a bunch of Yankees (includes me) transplanted to the South so there will be pork and kraut also.

Hope all create a great new year supplemented with as much good luck as needed.