LCD Chat...

Options

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    RebekahR84 wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's appropriate to create a new post for a request like this: could anyone look at my food diary and tell me if my fat content is too high? I'm a nursing mother, so I try to get a decent amount for more nutritional milk for my baby. But I think I might be overdoing it.

Your fat seems reasonable.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Remember nursing mothers need @500 calories per day for the baby.
    You might find this info helpful: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/get-started/prepare/breastfeeding
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure it's appropriate to create a new post for a request like this: could anyone look at my food diary and tell me if my fat content is too high? I'm a nursing mother, so I try to get a decent amount for more nutritional milk for my baby. But I think I might be overdoing it.

From what I've read, it doesn't really matter technically. The mother's macro percentages are irrelevant. Your body will take from you what it takes to make the milk. Every ounce. The percentage of particular fats will differ slightly, based on your kind of diet (healthy fats vs. unhealthy fats), but your body will produce perfect milk. With too little calorie intake of the mother, supply might be in jeopardy though, in addition to the mother's health if her diet is poor and/or she is nutrient deficient. But as long as your electrolytes are in balance, you are properly hydrated, and you are eating enough calories, the milk will be fine regardless of whether you are eating low or high fat. They've done studies in 3rd world countries in which nutrition for the mother is sketchy at best, and they show that milk composition is still fine. Nature is smart.

I'm not sure how old your baby is right now so feel free to disregard this: Breastfeeding during the first 6 months is not the time to actively try to lose weight. You may still lose weight but eat at maintenance. After that a small deficit might be okay, as your supply will be fully established.

But as retirehappy said, your maintenance level will be a little higher. I never found mine to be that high though. 250 cals maybe. I just gained weight at 500. It will be a YMMV. I'm pretty sure that my carbs were around 50g. I wasn't really tracking that diligently, so I have no idea what my fat looked like. I never had a supply dip, not even when I was sick. Not even when I was losing weight. I nursed him until he was 21 mo when he decided he was done. He is now a brilliant evil genius who will turn 6 next month.
    HTH. Good luck.

Edit: I suggest you read around on this site. She's got comprehensive EVERYTHING regarding breastfeeding.http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

From what I've read, it doesn't really matter technically. The mother's macro percentages are irrelevant. Your body will take from you what it takes to make the milk. Every ounce. The percentage of particular fats will differ slightly, based on your kind of diet (healthy fats vs. unhealthy fats), but your body will produce perfect milk. With too little calorie intake of the mother, supply might be in jeopardy though, in addition to the mother's health if her diet is poor and/or she is nutrient deficient. But as long as your electrolytes are in balance, you are properly hydrated, and you are eating enough calories, the milk will be fine regardless of whether you are eating low or high fat. They've done studies in 3rd world countries in which nutrition for the mother is sketchy at best, and they show that milk composition is still fine. Nature is smart.

I'm not sure how old your baby is right now so feel free to disregard this: Breastfeeding during the first 6 months is not the time to actively try to lose weight. You may still lose weight but eat at maintenance. After that a small deficit might be okay, as your supply will be fully established.

But as retirehappy said, your maintenance level will be a little higher. I never found mine to be that high though. 250 cals maybe. I just gained weight at 500. It will be a YMMV. I'm pretty sure that my carbs were around 50g. I wasn't really tracking that diligently, so I have no idea what my fat looked like. I never had a supply dip, not even when I was sick. Not even when I was losing weight. I nursed him until he was 21 mo when he decided he was done. He is now a brilliant evil genius who will turn 6 next month.
    HTH. Good luck.

Edit: I suggest you read around on this site. She's got comprehensive EVERYTHING regarding breastfeeding.http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-diet/

I agree with all of this and hydration (IMO) vastly effects supply more than diet.

I did end up losing weight while BFing both times (14 months and 30 months), but wasn't actively trying. I was logging here to make sure I was eating enough and adding in the 500 BF cals and still lost. It's a complete YMMV issue. Best of luck!!
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!
    So glad it's here! It's been a long week.
    Stay warm, stay busy!
    It's the weekend I just a few more hours!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday - last day before a 3 day weekend (for at least some of us here in the USA)!

Gonna be an interesting weekend since the Texas weather is at it again - teens and 20's last week, 80 degrees on Wednesday, 40's this morning and rain/thunderstorms this weekend :o - freakin' weather is bipolar!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses regarding my breastfeeding questions. They were very informative, and I was provided a helpful link!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Happy Friday!! I work 4 tens so I have fridays off. My husband got the kids up and out of the house this morning (he's a stay at home dad and we homeschool) so I could sleep in. I slept until 8:30!!!

Love that man :love:

Ok, but now I'm ready for them to all come home.
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Happy Saturday!!
    Love the hat @canadjineh I'll take one with ear flaps though, my ears get super cold (too many earrings)!

With two out of three of us sick it looks like a stay home weekend. I really wanted to go hiking this weekend but feeling like I have Mac-Truck-itis we are staying put.

I'm also attempting my very first ever Zorn Fast! (If you are part of the 2KetoDudes podcast or forum you would know about this). Stopped eating last night at 8pm. Not sure how this will go being sick but I figure it's worth the attempt!
    Starting weight 200.8
    Fasting glucose 109
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    AWESOME hat. Glad you had a good time at the social hour.
  • hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am looking for others eating keto. Please feel free to add me.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @ProCoffeenator... ear flaps were tied up since the hat comes down far enough to cover everything but the tips of my earlobes anyhow. It would have to be -40 before the flaps come down, heh heh. I take all metal out of my ears below -15C I know how conducting severe cold through freezing bits of metal into your flesh feels :o

You are added @hoping32, sorry, but I am pretty bad about filling in my food diary, so I hope it's not just about that...
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Happy Sunday!!
    So I ended up breaking my Fast last night after learning I had the wrong dates! Oops! I was going to keep going but decided that with me not well and nobody to do it with I'd wait for the official start.

I'm not sure what the plans will be for today. It's all going to depend on weather and how I'm feeling as the day goes on. Most likely whatever I do it's going be more along the lines of cleaning or organizing... lol.

Have a great day all!
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    Monday is back again!
    I've got a long list of to dos for today. Including work and the dentist. *sigh*
    I think I need permanent long weekends. Who's in for protesting Mondays?!

Have a great day and be safe out there with all the crazy weather!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Dentist AND Monday?! Two strikes, yuk! Hope things go well today, ProCoffeenator. I am just about to head off to bed after end-of-shift paperwork. Hoping to sleep till 1PM *crossing fingers* I have to remember to put in my earplugs or I'm sure the phone will ring 5 or 6 times this morning, just my luck, lol.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Monday it is indeed. And I seem to have caught that MackTruckitis that has been going around...I'm down for the count. I haven't been around here much for the past few months as I was trying another WOE out that I couldn't get to work for me at all. Trying to get back on the LCHF wagon again, but I keep getting derailed by the wine and the husband's big ideas! I know, I make my own decisions, I'm a grown up, but my willpower has not been great these days and I know it.

Ah well, anyway I'm back and glad to see you all again! :)
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Waaah :'(@Zenwenner, I do feel for you... it's so disappointing when we try something that we think will work and then, well.... just glad you are back. Drink lots of broth, steer clear of crackers and toast, lol, take your vitamins, hope you are feeling better soon. Lots of my MFP friends are sick right now, you aren't alone.
  • ProCoffeenator
    Options
    I'm tiptoeing into Tuesday.
    I'm on the fence about just calling into work right now. I'm still not feeling well and just want to sleep, I also know my kids won't let me if I were to stay home. I also know that it's crazy at work and I will catch a load of crap if I called in.
    I'll drink my coffee and see how I feel.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @ProCoffeenator you could always phone in and remind them that you are contagious but if they are in desperate need you can come in to work.... Works like a charm, they'll say NO stay home we'll manage.