LCD Chat...

Options

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    How did Monday get here so fast again? I hope everyone is doing well this week!

@canadjineh how are the readings going?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Newbie here with newbie question. I'll tell you a little about myself so that if you are able to help me you'll have some background information. I am 5'5" and weigh around 139. GW 120. I have been in ketosis since February 5. I have lost an average of 2 pounds per week until last Monday when I have been just fluctuating up-and-down. I weigh my food, and I eat an average of 1250 cal per day. My question is some days I am full after eating only 750 cal but I force myself to eat the full 1250. My macros are usually really close to 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs. Does the fat really satiate a person enough that they do not need to eat as much? I feel that if I would have listened to my body and not eaten after I was full that I would have lost the normal two that I had been losing. I do not want to not eat as much as my body should have though. Any advice or information would be helpful! And very much appreciated!

Mary
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary, welcome aboard!

Personally I'd say just eat till you're full, try not to force more in. I don't think eating when you aren't hungry, is a good habit to get into. There will come days when your body does want more, but it's not uncommon on LCHF to have days or stretches of days where you're quite satisfied with less than the recommended amount.

Having said that, 750 might be a bit on the low side, but that too might depend on your level of activity.

I'm sure some of the more experienced folk will chime in as well with more / better advice. :smile:
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! For the most part I am a couch potato that forces myself to get up and move around. I do weightlifting strong lifts 5X5 every other day and do a kettle bell workout every day twice on non weigh lifting days. I try to take two 2 mile walks per day since it has been nice only for about a week now. Otherwise, I had to set my alarm every hour to make sure I get off of the couch. I am recently retired and workout at home. I have Lymes disease and that is part of the reason why I am a couch potato.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Mary, there will be days when you will want all the foods. So if you are not hungry, don't force yourself to eat. If MFP balks at the lower number, just quick add the necessary calories with a note to yourself you were not hungry that day. My guess is there won't be that many of them, since you are already within your height's normal weight range. You are not really a couch potato if you are walking 2 x 2 miles per day and strength training.

Congrats on being retired, I sure love being retired hope you are enjoying yours, too.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    How did Monday get here so fast again? I hope everyone is doing well this week!

@canadjineh how are the readings going?

Well... fasting blood glucose was at 5.5 yesterday with a 2 hr post-prandial of 5.8 so I don't know....
    but I did ask at the drug store for the price of the test strips and they are freakin' expensive - $89.00 for 100!! I might hunt around and see if I can find some on the internet because I only have about 13 or so from my combo pack that came with the free meter. Part of me is saying "OK, well, chuck the idea of testing out the window and FORGET spending money on the keto blood strips" (their cost is even worse.)
    Maybe I'll check again tomorrow. Glad I'm not actually diabetic or I would probably die due to intermittent random self-testing :s
  • anglyn1
    Options
    @canadjineh wow that is pricey!!!

Has anyone heard from @ProCoffeenator? She usually checks in daily.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Not sure what meter you're using, @canadjineh, but I found PrecisionXL ketone strips from a seller on Ebay for ~$1.75 per. I'd think you can find glucose strips much more cheaply, but unless I find out next week that I'm still having blood sugar issues I'm really only interested in ketone monitoring, so I didn't look at prices on glucose strips.

So, thanks to one of the threads around here that linked to a low carb doctors blog I have an appointment next week with the dude who may be my new PCP. His office tried to tell me he wasn't accepting patients, but I hit him up on twitter and he took care of me. Good call by him, since I've given all of my business to one doctor since 1997. He may have a lifelong patient if he's awesome. I'm pretty stoked.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Just_Eric... I'm 'practicing' with the glucose strips because I don't want to waste ANY ketone strips when I decide to buy them. I hate to buy a whole box of 100 though, just for practice. Maybe I'll see what I can find on eBay.

@ProCoffeenator We miss you, come baaaaack! <3
  • coolchange58
    coolchange58 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Deb and I am a LC WOE person. Is this thread still active? If so, I will post and answer all the questions above. Thanks.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Welcome Deb, yeah, this is an active thread.
  • anglyn1
    Options
    Welcome Deb
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Good morning everyone.
    I was looking for a 'new member intro' thread, but have yet to discover the most effective method of finding my way round the forum. So I'll start here. (If there is a more general thread for newbies I should go to, maybe someone could let me know...? :) )

60 this year, I am a halfie (Italian/English) with a healthy portion of French, as I lived there for nearly a decade. So I'm certainly bi-lingual, and almost tri-.
    When I say 'healthy portion', I'm not talking about their cuisine, which rurally and in the less touristy and well-known parts, can be anything but!
    In any case: I grew up in kitchens. First of all, I used to go on summer holidays from school, and spend them with my Italian grandparents and numerous cousins, and we all spent a lot of time in the kitchen with our Nonna, leaning the basic ropes, because 50 years ago, ready meals were a total anathema, and the only things that came in jars were her own sauces, 'sott'olio' vegetables and pickles. My Granddad even brewed his own wine from his own vines...Olive oil came from relatives, and so did milk, butter and eggs.

Then, my own parents, who were gourmet cooks and both cooked and taught semi-professionally, taught me the further rudiments of cooking, where nuggets and chips were the stuff of dreams. or nightmares.
    I have since worked in the culinary industry for a long time, and am an avid 'home-made' aficionado of kimchi, sauerkraut, lacto-fermented foodstuffs, kombucha, ACV and grape vinegar.

I always make my own mayonnaise, and cook mainly from scratch. I make my own tomato sauces, and am totally capable of gutting fish, chicken and small children animals, such as rabbit, which I am stunned is so hard to get hold of...
    Such butchery is now mercifully done for us, but I do so miss chicken giblets!
    I love offal and will think nothing of braising heart, cooking liver, devilled kidneys, and even pig's trotters and tripe.
    I adore raw fish (as in sushi and sashimi) and eat it at least twice a week.

I was brought up to have totally eclectic tastes, as you can see!

I have 2 daughters both of whom have inherited my adoration of gastronomy. My grandson calls Salmon sashimi salmon-in-a-pot, because my daughter slices salmon finely while it's still semi-frozen, puts it in his little eating pot with the dressing, and he will avidly devour it and want more! And so the new generation inherits!
    We love food. In fact, we eat precious little else!

Since beginning a new chapter of eating, in my life, by cutting carbs (as far as is physically possible!) I have felt so much better, but I am advised by my Doctor (who is also qualified in nutrition) that shifting fat/weight during menopause is both extremely difficult and not wholly advisable, although of course, maintaining health and not letting yourself go, are also important.
    I've been following a new regime of eating for around 3 weeks, in a focused and deliberate way, and have fluctuated between 9st. 3 and 1/4 lbs (top weight) to 9st 1 and \frac 1/2lbs, but I'm finding it hard to find my way down to below 9st. which would be best for me, as I'm quite petite (4'11").

My H., who is a type II diabetic, has also benefited from this new way of eating, and although he still yearns for the sweet stuff that is so lethal to him (doughnuts, chocolate, cakes, buns, that kind of yum...!) is thrilled to have lost round 5 - 6 lbs in the same period of time. Which makes me very envious!
    For a man who has an aversion to vegetables, and has always been a meat 'n' potatoes guy, this is actually quite startling, but positively so.

Look forward to talking with you all!
  • susanrobison32
    susanrobison32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome Alexandra Carlyle!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Thank you, nice to meet you Susan... I was referred to this forum by @RalfLott, as discussion on the main forum was not specific, and a little warm for my comfort. Glad to be here!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I'm going to do my first carb refeed tomorrow. I read a lot of data and chose to do a dirty refeed. Supposedly the sugar in candy and sweets is broken down better for replenishing the glycogen stores. Fructose is bad no fruit! I need to do this because I have almost no energy. Any advice is appreciated!
    <3
    Mary
  • anglyn1
    Options
    Energy issues usually have more to do with electrolytes. I never have a carb refeed and my energy is fine through my workouts.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Energy issues usually have more to do with electrolytes. I never have a carb refeed and my energy is fine through my workouts.

I lift weights and swing heavy Kettlebells. I also have Lymes disease. I'll let you know if it works.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Thank you, nice to meet you Susan... I was referred to this forum by @RalfLott, as discussion on the main forum was not specific, and a little warm for my comfort. Glad to be here!

Benvenuto, Alessandra! Non fa mai troppo caldo qui. B)