LCD Chat...

Options

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hah! @LowCarb4Me2016, as you've noticed, traditional nutritionists/dietitians feed you *kitten* information:
    from diabetesselfmanagement.com
    "Many diabetes experts recommend somewhat lower carb intakes than ADA does. On our site, dietitian Jacquie Craig wrote, “Most people need (??!!) between 30–75 grams of carbohydrate per meal and 15–30 grams for snacks.” So that sounds like between 120 and 300 grams a day."
    Glad you are getting healthier, and it doesn't hurt to cook lower carb for your family either ;) even though they may not 'need' it... yet.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hah! @LowCarb4Me2016, as you've noticed, traditional nutritionists/dietitians feed you *kitten* information:
    from diabetesselfmanagement.com
    "Many diabetes experts recommend somewhat lower carb intakes than ADA does. On our site, dietitian Jacquie Craig wrote, “Most people need (??!!) between 30–75 grams of carbohydrate per meal and 15–30 grams for snacks.” So that sounds like between 120 and 300 grams a day."
    Glad you are getting healthier, and it doesn't hurt to cook lower carb for your family either ;) even though they may not 'need' it... yet.

Took me awhile to catch on, lol. Its gotten the family to try different veggies, so that's a good thing.
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1. Go to exercise: CrossFit
    2. Friends: I'm an introverted extrovert... I make friends quickly but I'm good at pushing them away or keeping a distance. Sadly.
    3. Animal: Dogs
    5. Motivation: I want to have a photo of myself and feel attractive again
    6. Country/City: City
    7. Go back: To high school to take it more seriously
    8. Move: I live in Michigan and couldn't imagine moving
    9. Fave LCHF Veggies: Mushrooms
    10. Fave book: Too many to list... Perhaps 1984
  • canadjineh
    Options
    uuuuww.... 1984 and mushrooms... shall we be intro/extrovert friends? :D
    Welcome!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    1. Go to exercise: CrossFit
    2. Friends: I'm an introverted extrovert... I make friends quickly but I'm good at pushing them away or keeping a distance. Sadly.
    3. Animal: Dogs
    5. Motivation: I want to have a photo of myself and feel attractive again
    6. Country/City: City
    7. Go back: To high school to take it more seriously
    8. Move: I live in Michigan and couldn't imagine moving
    9. Fave LCHF Veggies: Mushrooms
    10. Fave book: Too many to list... Perhaps 1984

Welcome, always nice to meet another George Orwell fan. 1984 and Animal Farm are both AWESOME. Kinda scary how we are living through so much of what he foresaw in the '30s.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to read 1984 again. It'll probably give me even more of the heebie jeebies now than it did when I read it as a kid.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a 53 year old who is morbidly obese (145 lbs) and type 2 diabetes. I have two wonderful sons in their thirties. I enjoy video games, reading, and the odd Netflix binge watch. I quit smoking 11 months ago by vaping. I never thought I could quit having tried and failed so many different things and times. I don't make my own vape juice but I'd love to learn how.

I got myself a cat last year and I love him so much. He's like my baby. I love animals and if I could I'd have many of them.

Big time newbie to LCHF and low carb entirely. but so far I'm surprised how much I like it! To whomever linked to the fellow named Butter Bob, THANK YOU! I can't say how easy he's made it for me to understand. I've only been really kinda knowing what I'm doing in the past couple of days and a whole lot to learn. Luckily, I'm a reader and when I'm interested in a subject I just go great guns until I'm at least up to speed.

I am so excited by this new diet, still going thru cupboards and fridge throwing crap out. Having diabetes scares me a great deal, I really want to get it under control. The ADA might be happy with the 90% fail rate of blood sugar stability in diabetics but I am not. I failed on their diet. I kept hearing LCHF was the way to go but I just had to quit fighting it and move forward. It hasn't been long enough to say much of anything, but I already feel this is for me even tho I don't have much in the way or results.

Favourite book? hmmm there really are so many. I'll go with "In Search of the Miraculous" P.D. Ouspenski.

I look forward to getting to know people on here.

Lori

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Getting ready to read 1984 again. It'll probably give me even more of the heebie jeebies now than it did when I read it as a kid.

Kindle Prime members can get it free with the Kindle Reads free feature in Prime.

I feel like I live on Animal Farm every time the news comes on these days.

I happen to own a first edition of 1984, one of my prized possessions. No cover but still in great shape except for that. My dearest friend gave it to me for my 21st birthday. Anyone else remember when you could find jewels like that in the used bookstores?
  • canadjineh
    Options

"Ministy of Truth" and "Newspeak".... https://bustle.com/p/13-quotes-from-1984-that-are-horrifyingly-relevant-in-2017-33324
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Welcome @loriafriesen - have you taken a stroll through the Stickies on the first page of the Low Carber Daily forum? Tons of answers to almost every question there is about Keto, LCHF, Slow Carb, etc. There's also one especially for diabetes related info.

As for books... I love anything by neurologist Oliver Sacks. The mind is an absolutely amazing thing.
  • Alaplum
    Options
    Canadahjineh, I have only peeded not dived in, but I most certainly will.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    ..."Peeded"....? :/

:)
  • canadjineh
    Options
    No Autocorrect lol.
  • Alaplum
    Options
    Thank you, I have been going thru the stickies today. Picking and choosing though eventually I'll read them all. What a great place! I haven't been here long but i love it here.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I gave up my "no plants (except coffee, small amounts of sauces, seasonings, etc.)" plan for this past weekend. I had started that Mar. 1; then had some testing (Dexa, RMR, VO2 Max) that I had to fast for on Fri. Plan was to then eat some low carb plants after that... had nuts - lots of nuts. Also, salad. Had nearly 7K calories on Fri., more than 5K on Sat., and just under 5K on Sun. Even though low carb, a high volume of nuts really creates carb creep.

Over the weekend, with the carb creep, I started having some severe cramps in my left calf. They have continued to as recently as this morning when I woke up early AM with terrible cramps and returned to the kitchen several times to drink probably a quart of pickle juice in total before they subsided.

In addition to the carb creep, I've cut back on Mg from 825mg daily to 400mg over the past 2 weeks because I thought I was taking too much. Maybe I should add some back.

All of this plus a runner's knee issue that hasn't shown much improvement for several weeks (I'm biting the bullet and seeing a physician this afternoon) is really bumming me out. I have my next race - half marathon - in less than 10 weeks and I plan to go on a hiking trip immediately afterwards (6 days, 68.2 miles, 11K+ ft. elevation gain/loss), so I can't have my leg muscles getting damaged by cramps, I need to get this knee issue resolved quickly, and I can't be away from cardiovascular activity for too long. *sigh*

I guess you could say I'm somewhat bummed out right now and scrambling for solutions.

What I have now is:
    -Increase daily Mg intake back to at least 600mg and see how it goes
    -See dr. about knee, possibly do some physical therapy
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Hope you get it all sorted out @midwesterner85. I don't have any suggestions. I had a problem with "bone bruising" on my left knee after I started walking. Who'd a thunk-walking? Cause is constant/repetitious pounding on hard surfaces. It sounds like a simple little ailment but it takes weeks to heal. It is common. Diagnosed correctly by an orthopedic sports guy. Hope it is something else that will heal quickly. I had one little spot on the side of my kneecap that was painful when pressed or in use.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Hope you get it all sorted out @midwesterner85. I don't have any suggestions. I had a problem with "bone bruising" on my left knee after I started walking. Who'd a thunk-walking? Cause is constant/repetitious pounding on hard surfaces. It sounds like a simple little ailment but it takes weeks to heal. It is common. Diagnosed correctly by an orthopedic sports guy. Hope it is something else that will heal quickly. I had one little spot on the side of my kneecap that was painful when pressed or in use.

Wow, that is surprising. I'm pretty sure it is simple "runner's knee" (Patellofemoral pain syndrome - PFPS for short). It's a problem with hills and probably need some stability improvement around the knee.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I hope the doctor can help! I'm sure it's super frustrating and a let down with a race and hiking trip coming up. :( This is one reason I have never signed up for a race...with RA I never can be certain when a flare will hit and knowing my luck it would surely coincide with whatever I was training for.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Have you been doing the 'no plants' thing? How did you find it? It's very appealing to me on many levels, although I don't know that I could go full raw meat like some do.

I'm back after 6 months off the wagon, sorry if I've missed a lot of this conversation.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Have you been doing the 'no plants' thing? How did you find it? It's very appealing to me on many levels, although I don't know that I could go full raw meat like some do.

I'm back after 6 months off the wagon, sorry if I've missed a lot of this conversation.

I started the 'no plants' plan Mar. 1. The long story is that I started with the low carb WOE Mar. 2016 at 150g (not very low, but less than what I was used to). Prior to that, my weight loss never matched what it should based on calories and I was always frustrated about such slow losses. I had tried just about everything else, so I didn't expect this to help with weight loss. It was more about BG fluctuations than weight loss.

The results in Mar. 2016 at 150g daily net carbs was that I started to finally lose weight as I always should have based on calories (but didn't). I didn't expect it, but was happy CICO finally worked with lower carb. As time went on, I had to continue to cut carbs in order to continue seeing those results. Around Nov. 2016, I started to stall out. At this point, I was down to 20g-30g per day from low carb veggies (a lot of salads), nuts, peanuts and peanut butter, and dairy / cheese.

After stalling for several months both in weight loss and in carbs (stuck at 20g-30g daily), I decided to try eliminating veggies in order to cut the last few net carbs per day. I started that Mar. 1. I refused to give up coffee, though.

March provided some weight loss again with the lower carbs, but I have been stalling in early Apr. as calories and activity have suffered. I'm finding I need both low carb and low calorie levels in order to lose.