LCD Chat...

Options

Replies

• Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Thanks for the explanation! I'm going to experiment a bit and see how my body responds.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Went on a fast today. When I had completed the day's diary, I of course got the usual message of how I hadn't taken in enough calories and that such a low count was inadvisable, not to say critical/dangerous... Good grief, shouldn't MFP 'get with the programme'...?!
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Went on a fast today. When I had completed the day's diary, I of course got the usual message of how I hadn't taken in enough calories and that such a low count was inadvisable, not to say critical/dangerous... Good grief, shouldn't MFP 'get with the programme'...?!

I've been fasting every saturday this month. I wish they had a button you could click to tell it "yeah I'm fasting skip the lecture", or words to that effect.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I haven't "completed" my diary for a few years. It's open to friends to view if they want but I have no need for it to announce on my newsfeed or see the 5 week projection. Actually I have it unchecked in my settings so it wouldn't announce on my newsfeed even if I did "complete". I'm posting this only to let new folks know there is an option other than the MFP lectures/reminders. No data is lost if you don't "complete".
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Have you been doing the 'no plants' thing? How did you find it? It's very appealing to me on many levels, although I don't know that I could go full raw meat like some do.

I'm back after 6 months off the wagon, sorry if I've missed a lot of this conversation.

I started the 'no plants' plan Mar. 1. The long story is that I started with the low carb WOE Mar. 2016 at 150g (not very low, but less than what I was used to). Prior to that, my weight loss never matched what it should based on calories and I was always frustrated about such slow losses. I had tried just about everything else, so I didn't expect this to help with weight loss. It was more about BG fluctuations than weight loss.

The results in Mar. 2016 at 150g daily net carbs was that I started to finally lose weight as I always should have based on calories (but didn't). I didn't expect it, but was happy CICO finally worked with lower carb. As time went on, I had to continue to cut carbs in order to continue seeing those results. Around Nov. 2016, I started to stall out. At this point, I was down to 20g-30g per day from low carb veggies (a lot of salads), nuts, peanuts and peanut butter, and dairy / cheese.

After stalling for several months both in weight loss and in carbs (stuck at 20g-30g daily), I decided to try eliminating veggies in order to cut the last few net carbs per day. I started that Mar. 1. I refused to give up coffee, though.

March provided some weight loss again with the lower carbs, but I have been stalling in early Apr. as calories and activity have suffered. I'm finding I need both low carb and low calorie levels in order to lose.

So its been your experince that weight loss stalled until you cut carbs further and each time its stalled again? Did I get that correct? How jas your blood sugar and diabetes been, better and easier to manage?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 Have you been doing the 'no plants' thing? How did you find it? It's very appealing to me on many levels, although I don't know that I could go full raw meat like some do.

I'm back after 6 months off the wagon, sorry if I've missed a lot of this conversation.

I started the 'no plants' plan Mar. 1. The long story is that I started with the low carb WOE Mar. 2016 at 150g (not very low, but less than what I was used to). Prior to that, my weight loss never matched what it should based on calories and I was always frustrated about such slow losses. I had tried just about everything else, so I didn't expect this to help with weight loss. It was more about BG fluctuations than weight loss.

The results in Mar. 2016 at 150g daily net carbs was that I started to finally lose weight as I always should have based on calories (but didn't). I didn't expect it, but was happy CICO finally worked with lower carb. As time went on, I had to continue to cut carbs in order to continue seeing those results. Around Nov. 2016, I started to stall out. At this point, I was down to 20g-30g per day from low carb veggies (a lot of salads), nuts, peanuts and peanut butter, and dairy / cheese.

After stalling for several months both in weight loss and in carbs (stuck at 20g-30g daily), I decided to try eliminating veggies in order to cut the last few net carbs per day. I started that Mar. 1. I refused to give up coffee, though.

March provided some weight loss again with the lower carbs, but I have been stalling in early Apr. as calories and activity have suffered. I'm finding I need both low carb and low calorie levels in order to lose.

So its been your experince that weight loss stalled until you cut carbs further and each time its stalled again? Did I get that correct? How jas your blood sugar and diabetes been, better and easier to manage?

Yes. BG's are much more stable with lower carbs. Timing is important as well... some people will say their carb limit is 20g per day and then eat 20g all at once with 0g other times of day. As I am fat adapted, I'm also much more carb sensitive. If I eat 20g all at once, my BG will rise high and fast.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just for fun....
    I was in the mall the other day and Keto-Jammies were on sale. Fried eggs and avocados.
    jf1ag89bd2mk.jpg
    pul13f0stzeb.jpg
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    OK I need those jammies, where did you find them?
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Okay this is a self serving post and I just need someone to kick me in the hind end and tell me to quit being so damned paranoid.

I’m averaging 35/10% net carbs (with a couple spikes a month of 65…hello halotop). I’m generally small on the keto strips. I’ve lost almost 40lbs. The afternoons are amazing anymore compared to where I was before starting this WOE. I still like my naps but that’s more of an emotional/anxiety thing vs a physical thing. Over all I don’t feel like I’m dragging my body around. My blood work is outstanding, sugars down et al. I’m enjoying the hell out of my fats and the fact that I’m not getting that freak out hunger (only the mental stuff which I’m working on). The weight dumps amuse the heck out of me and I’m fighting the weird breath with tons and tons of water. From what I’ve read, everything points to me being adapted.

And I know, I should ignore the hell out of Facebook people. But when they all keep telling you there’s no way you’re adapted because I’m over 20 carbs or because I enjoy natural peanut butter or that I eat cheese? It starts to wear on you. If all the signs point to being on the right path, I should just STFU and keep on that path right??
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Okay this is a self serving post and I just need someone to kick me in the hind end and tell me to quit being so damned paranoid.

I’m averaging 35/10% net carbs (with a couple spikes a month of 65…hello halotop). I’m generally small on the keto strips. I’ve lost almost 40lbs. The afternoons are amazing anymore compared to where I was before starting this WOE. I still like my naps but that’s more of an emotional/anxiety thing vs a physical thing. Over all I don’t feel like I’m dragging my body around. My blood work is outstanding, sugars down et al. I’m enjoying the hell out of my fats and the fact that I’m not getting that freak out hunger (only the mental stuff which I’m working on). The weight dumps amuse the heck out of me and I’m fighting the weird breath with tons and tons of water. From what I’ve read, everything points to me being adapted.

And I know, I should ignore the hell out of Facebook people. But when they all keep telling you there’s no way you’re adapted because I’m over 20 carbs or because I enjoy natural peanut butter or that I eat cheese? It starts to wear on you. If all the signs point to being on the right path, I should just STFU and keep on that path right??

Yes... don't fix what isn't broken.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Ignore the masses and keep on with what you are doing since it is obviously working.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    @sisterlilbunny ignore them. Everyone is different and being fat adapted can happen at different levels. I have been at this a year and half. I eat Halo Top almost every night. I often mix a spoonful of peanut butter INTO my Halo Top! The other day I ate quite a few Five Guys fries. Never left ketosis according to my strips. In fact I only use those strips out of curiosity because it seems even if I eat off plan for a meal I feel no big difference. I assume it's because I've been fat adapted for over a year and that I go right back on plan asap. IDK but it works for me and that's all that matters.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, thank you guys so much. It's really appreciated!!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with all that I've read.
  • canadjineh
    Options
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    Not sure what meter you're using, @canadjineh, but I found PrecisionXL ketone strips from a seller on Ebay for ~$1.75 per. I'd think you can find glucose strips much more cheaply, but unless I find out next week that I'm still having blood sugar issues I'm really only interested in ketone monitoring, so I didn't look at prices on glucose strips.

So, thanks to one of the threads around here that linked to a low carb doctors blog I have an appointment next week with the dude who may be my new PCP. His office tried to tell me he wasn't accepting patients, but I hit him up on twitter and he took care of me. Good call by him, since I've given all of my business to one doctor since 1997. He may have a lifelong patient if he's awesome. I'm pretty stoked.

Sorry if I missed the follow-up... How did it go?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hah! @LowCarb4Me2016, as you've noticed, traditional nutritionists/dietitians feed you *kitten* information:
    from diabetesselfmanagement.com
    "Many diabetes experts recommend somewhat lower carb intakes than ADA does. On our site, dietitian Jacquie Craig wrote, “Most people need (??!!) between 30–75 grams of carbohydrate per meal and 15–30 grams for snacks.” So that sounds like between 120 and 300 grams a day."
    Glad you are getting healthier, and it doesn't hurt to cook lower carb for your family either ;) even though they may not 'need' it... yet.

Typical ADA robot-speak. :s You've got it down and you're not even in ADA territory!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I know she hasn't been active this year, but does anybody have a way to contact @RowdysLady ? She lives around Canton, Tx and that area got slammed by 4 tornadoes this weekend, so I'm hoping she wasn't caught up in that mess...
  • canadjineh
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I know she hasn't been active this year, but does anybody have a way to contact @RowdysLady ? She lives around Canton, Tx and that area got slammed by 4 tornadoes this weekend, so I'm hoping she wasn't caught up in that mess...

I was wondering how she is doing too. I hope she and her family are safe.