TEAM FIVE

Options

Replies

• MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Well, as they say, you can't out-exercise a bad diet & as @rusgolden told us, we can't out-exercise a team getting all its challenge points! Oh well . . . We still have a lot to be thankful for!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Welcome back @CaptainBoing! Glad you had a wonderful holiday. It's always interesting to me to hear the different ways people use the same words in different countries. We Yanks call time away from home or off work "vacation" and "holiday" is reserved for the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. Other ones I've noticed are chips vs crisps and cookies vs biscuits, and there's many more I'm sure. This challenge has opened up our lives to other worlds and it's so fun!

We also use jelly differently (that is jam to us) and a traffic light is a robot, car trunk is a boot, sneakers are takkies. That is all I can think of right now.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    OK team so it seems that in order to be #1 this week, we need to amp up our exercise minutes. Because - I'm assuming most everyone will get their challenge points in this week, which results in leveling the field. Therefore, am I right in thinking that to come out on top we need more minutes? That's the one thing that would be difficult for another team to catch up with us at the last minute. Am I right? Or am I missing something?

I have a hundred excuses why this week will be tough to put in many minutes but I am NOT going to let that get in my way. Determined to claim back #1. (Boy is my competitive spirit coming out or what?????)
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    OK team so it seems that in order to be #1 this week, we need to amp up our exercise minutes. Because - I'm assuming most everyone will get their challenge points in this week, which results in leveling the field. Therefore, am I right in thinking that to come out on top we need more minutes? That's the one thing that would be difficult for another team to catch up with us at the last minute. Am I right? Or am I missing something?

I have a hundred excuses why this week will be tough to put in many minutes but I am NOT going to let that get in my way. Determined to claim back #1. (Boy is my competitive spirit coming out or what?????)

We tend to always have more minutes than other teams, where we lack is challenge points.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

As @MiamiSeoul said, we've lacked in everyone getting their challenge points in and that is something that Team 1 does consistently.

However, getting more minutes in can help IF we also get all the challenge points. The only week that we won was on the shortest leg of the journey so that all those minutes really helped propel us to the top. Once we reach the destination, we get 10 points for every 10% over, so in this case, we are looking at 10 points for about 500 minutes of exercise. Over the past 5 weeks, we have averaged 12,689 exercise minutes per week, which averages out to about 635 minutes per person per week.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and I'm not trying to squash that... because, like you said, the extra minutes can equate into extra points and be the difference maker, but we have yet to go a week with 100% of the challenge points as a team. So Fab Fives... is everyone up for the challenge to make this the week that we have all of our 10's and 5's filled in???

Keep up the good work everyone!!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,149 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ^^ What Rus said!! LOL...I was just typing a similar note... :) I'll post separately the weekly break out since I'm building that now, but he's so right, we need the challenge points. IF we get all the challenge points, we then need the minutes, but we've been consistently able to kick Team 1's butt every week in minutes...so we just need to keep doing what we're doing unless they come alive and get their rusty butts in gear this week. ;)

Hey team, sorry I was sick all week and didn't get many minutes, but I appreciate that the team really did pull together and cover for me. I plan to get out and put in my "normal" race minutes again no matter how I'm feeling this week. I'm just over it (being sick) at this point (still sniffling, but tired of being inactive).

@MzManiak - wow, beautiful family!! Love the picture!

One of my friends is doing the Turkey Trot in town, but to be honest, my finances are pretty tight and already accounted for, so it's not something I'd do, especially since I can't really run due to bad knees. However, I know on Thanksgiving some of my friends invited me to go to the "DFac" (Dining Facility) on base (which is their tradition), and she mentioned that afterwards they wanted to do a post dinner walk along Bayshore (our scenic road that runs along the bay). I'll see if we can get in a full 5K (already have the route mapped out). If not (since I know we'll be leaving their parents at the car), I'll do a makeup 5K walk on Friday or Saturday.

May try to get in the Rockettes exercises today. Wish we weren't asked to split them up since I like to knock that stuff out at once. Maybe I'll do them today, and again on Thursday since I'm anticipating low exercise that day other than a walk after dinner. We'll see if I can get a third day of them in. Of course, I've not looked at the video yet, so I might want three days instead of trying to do it all at once...lol...we'll see.

I'll post separately about what I'm thankful for...but one thing that quickly comes to mind is this challenge and the awesome Fab Fives are both things I'm very thankful for! Y'all are the best!! (((Group Hug))) ^5-High Fives all Around-^5
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    For Challenge #2 - Train like a Rockette

Did I miss how many of these we're supposed to do? Across the room was all I saw and that is like 3 for me. LOL I live in an old house and all my rooms are small. I didn't want to post this on the main Q & A thread because I don't want to look like an idiot. I don't mind looking like an idiot in our Fab 5 group! :p
  • b3achy
    Options
    Here's the weekly numbers:

Week 1: (5621 miles; 525 possible challenge points)
    Team 1: 11614 minutes; 510 challenge points = 1260 Total Points **Team 1 Wins By 25 Points
    Team 5: 11868 minutes; 475 challenge points = 1235 Total Points :(
    Team 1: 35 more challenge points; Team 5: 254 more minutes

Week 2: (2081 miles; 525 possible challenge points) - Shortest Race
    Team 1: 13606 minutes; 520 challenge points = 1720 Total Points
    Team 5: 13986 minutes; 510 challenge points = 1730 Total Points **Team 5 Wins By 10 Points :smiley:
    Team 1: 10 more challenge points; Team 5: 380 more minutes

Week 3: (5400 miles; 525 possible challenge points)
    Team 1: 12210 minutes; 520 challenge points = 1290 Total Points **Team 1 Wins by 20 Points
    Team 5: 13228 minutes; 480 challenge points = 1270 Total Points :(
    Team 1: 40 more challenge points; Team 5: 1018 more minutes

Week 4: (3645 miles; 525 possible challenge points)
    Team 1: 11332 minutes; 510 challenge points = 1370 Total Points **Team 1 Wins by 5 Points
    Team 5: 12684 minutes; 475 challenge points = 1365 Total Points :'((so close)
    Team 1: 35 more challenge points; Team 5: 1352 more minutes

Week 5: (4580 miles; 500 possible challenge points)
    Team 1: 10781 minutes; 470 challenge points = 1250 Total Points **Team 1 Wins by 10 Points
    Team 5: 11679 minutes; 440 challenge points = 1240 Total Points :s
    Team 1: 30 more challenge points; Team 5: 898 more minutes

Trends:
    Thus far, Team 1 always has more challenge points; Team 5 always has more minutes. Weeks 1-4, Team 1 only left 5-15 challenge points undone. They faltered last week with 30 challenge points left, but we weren't able to capitalize on it. The week Team 5 won, we were within 10 challenge points of Team 1 (and only left 15 on the table), but as it was a shorter race, our minutes (though only 380 more) allowed us to win the race.

This week is a 5000+ mile plus race with a possible 500 challenge points (20 players x 25 each). If we can get all our challenge points, we will blow Team 1 out of the water with our usual minutes of exercise (on average, based on our last three weeks, it would take every player on Team 1 doing an extra hour of exercise during the week to beat our minutes.)
  • b3achy
    edited November 2016
    Options

Did I miss how many of these we're supposed to do? Across the room was all I saw and that is like 3 for me. LOL I live in an old house and all my rooms are small. I didn't want to post this on the main Q & A thread because I don't want to look like an idiot. I don't mind looking like an idiot in our Fab 5 group! :p

From the post:
    EACH OF THE SIX NEED TO BE DONE AT LEAST THREE (3) TIMES
    THAT IS 3 X 6 = 18.

WE PREFER YOU SPREAD THEM OUT OVER AT LEAST THREE DAYS
    BUT HEY, THIS WEEK IS ABOUT CHOICES!

The details of times per exercise are buried in the write up about the exercises...but you are right, it doesn't mention how big the room is supposed to be...
  • RaeBeeBaby
    edited November 2016
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »

From the post:
    THAT IS 3 X 6 = 18.

I was meaning per set. How many of each one are we supposed to do per set. Does that make sense?
  • b3achy
    Options

From the post:
    THAT IS 3 X 6 = 18.

I was meaning per set. How many of each one are we supposed to do per set. Does that make sense?

Yea, it looks like most of them are 2 sets total per exercise, but again, since it doesn't say how big the room is, it's hard to tell how many total in each set you need to do. It would be a good question to post to the Q&A thread, since it isn't very clear.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options

From the post:
    THAT IS 3 X 6 = 18.

The details of times per exercise are buried in the write up about the exercises...but you are right, it doesn't mention how big the room is supposed to be...

OK, so I didn't actually miss something. It's just sort of nebulous. I can stretch it out over two rooms to make it an actual workout. LOL
  • b3achy
    Options

From the post:
    THAT IS 3 X 6 = 18.

OK, so I didn't actually miss something. It's just sort of nebulous. I can stretch it out over two rooms to make it an actual workout. LOL

Yea, it looks like most of them are 2 sets total per exercise, but again, since it doesn't say how big the room is, it's hard to tell how many total in each set you need to do. It would be a good question to post to the Q&A thread, since it isn't very clear.

Yea, I'm now curious, so I posted it (so I can look stupid...or just a PiTA). Though I hate to post questions to answers I don't want to hear...I could just do them in my bathroom where I'd barely be able to get one done per 'across the room'...but I suspect that's not in the spirit of the challenge. ;) I'll likely do them in my hallway, unless they give us a specific number to do per set.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    Thanks @b3achy for being a PiTA for me! A loveable one, for sure! LOL

x02ddzm158m7.png
  • b3achy
    Options
    ^^^ Yep, that's me! :smiley:

I'm painfully detail oriented...which is good for the job (as an analyst/data scientist), but quite annoying to others. I'm thinking after all my questions for the color food challenge poor hawkins is rolling her eyes when I post...but since I have an established "reputation", I don't mind posting so you don't soil yours ;) LOL
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    No reputation to be soiled anymore! Thank you retirement! I spent the last 10 years of my work life as a project manager, so I'm also very detail oriented. Everything is about the WBS (work breakdown structure), so I have to organize my life (including workouts) accordingly. I know it drives some people crazy, but it keeps me sane.
  • b3achy
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @RaeBeeBaby & @MzManiak - hawkins posted a reply to how much to do (in a nutshell about 20 of each (so 10 each way, I think), but up to your own discretion per your fitness level; however, using your bathroom as your 'room' is frowned upon, well unless you live in a mansion where your bathroom is probably bigger than my house).

Way to go @rusgolden !! Way to get it knocked out, and great time / awesome pace!!

Challenge 3: What am I Thankful For?

1. My health - spiritual: my salvation & my church family; physical: ability to SUP race, losing weight & gym membership; mental: my analytical mind
    2. My nation, the Constitution, and my freedoms
    3. My fur babies (3 cats), my friends and my family
    4. My MFP encouragers, Fab Five teammies and various challenge groups
    5. My home, my car, my work ~ food on the table, clothes in the closet, running water...
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Challenge 1: Turkey trot/5k
    I signed up for the 5k run

Challenge 2:~~I did this after my afternoon walk/run
    Train like a Rockette x 3

1. Heel Flick Walks
    2. Butt Kicks
    3. Power-Up (Lunge Knee-Up and Step)
    4. Kick Start (Hamstring Scoop):
    5. Back Pedal
    6. Soldier Walks (Monster Walks)

Challenge 3
    I am thankfully for my husband,daughter,my puppy Lilly and all the wonderful friends i have in my life.
    I am so lucky to have so many people who love and care about me..i feel blessed....