QUESTIONS & ANSWERS!

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    For the food color wheel, are the foods only fruits, vegetables and grains? Or can we count meat and packaged foods (I have a lovely lemon sorbet that would be beautiful in the color palette)?

For foods not on the color chart, do we bin the food by the outer appearance of the food or the inner? They have stuff like watermelon which would have a green rind, but a red portion you eat, but then they say plums are blue (?! -never in my life have I seen a blue plum...red or red-purple skins, sure), but the inside of a plum is typically more of a light yellow/tan. So one gets categorized by the inner flesh, the other is categorized, I'm assuming by the outer skin. A bit confusing to me. And I'm still scratching my head over an orange not being in the orange category. :astonished:

And are those the only color categories? It has three types of green, but no yellow (only a yellow orange) - I mean, where would I put corn with no yellow or yellow-white category? I'm more of a ROY G BIV girl, and I'm okay with extra colors being between the 7 basic colors of the artist color wheel...but adding variations of white and only for green is a rather unique approach although not very consistent.

Thanks for the help!! :)
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 8,001 Member
    Options
    @b3achy, I don't know what @hawkins410 will say, but I went on-line to find out what colour my bosc pear was. I forget exactly what I searched, something like "fruits and vegetables colour wheel". My pear is brownish-gold outside, but considered a white fruit.
  • b3achy
    edited November 2016
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    @b3achy, I don't know what @hawkins410 will say, but I went on-line to find out what colour my bosc pear was. I forget exactly what I searched, something like "fruits and vegetables colour wheel". My pear is brownish-gold outside, but considered a white fruit.

Lol...and that hurts my brain too...I mean white isn't technically a color per se...*bangs head on table*. In physics, white is all the colors, and black is the absence of color. In art, it's reversed, white is the absence of color and black is all the colors. In art, you use white and black to make hues from the seven basic colors. Lol, clearly whoever is coming up with these food 'color wheels' haven't applied their art or their physics training to developing them. *shakes head*; *heavy sigh*
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @b3achy ... this didn't match the provided color wheel exactly, but should be fairly easy to determine disabled-world.com/artman/publish/fruits-vegetables.shtml -- I think it goes more by what nutrients they have vs the physical color, but I'm not a nutritional or biology expert, so who knows... maybe @hawkins410 knows... :wink:
  • b3achy
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks @hawkins410 - it's why I asked...originally you just posted FOOD color, and didn't specify that it was fruit, veggies and grains only. Thanks for the clarification, since I typically eat meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, and other colorful foods that aren't just fruits, veggies or grains.

And yes, @rusgolden, that helps, though some are binned differently than the original chart @hawkins410 published, but I'll just take them both as "guidelines". Poor @MissionEnforcer having to decipher the variety.

FWIW, I'll probably go with the 6 of 7 basic colors and add in white and the combo of complementary colors brown for 8 options total...Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, (Indigo), Violet/Purple, and combo of complementary colors Brown (red + green, orange + blue, yellow + purple), and absence of color White for my "colors", as a very loose definition of "color". YMMV.

And I'll behave and not log my glass of Merlot as a purple, even if it is the juice of grapes, nor my Hard Golden Apple Cider as a Yellow/Gold. ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    So is edamame brown (because it's a fibrous legume) or is it green (because, well, it's green)? Or is it both?
  • hawkins410
    hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    So is edamame brown (because it's a fibrous legume) or is it green (because, well, it's green)? Or is it both?
    Green, because of the presence of chlorophyll. Contains phytochemicals such as luteins and indoles. Excellent food choice @jenilla1! :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    hawkins410 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Green, because of the presence of chlorophyll. Contains phytochemicals such as luteins and indoles. Excellent food choice @jenilla1! :)

Thanks! It's one of my favorite snacks - especially when I'm low on protein! B)
  • lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    Options
    Does oatmeal count for the brown category?
  • hawkins410
    edited November 2016
    Options
    According to this link, it is considered a tan food, which you may count separately than a brown food.
    http://www.foodinsight.org/Eat_a_Rainbow_Functional_Foods_and_Their_Colorful_Components
    Sounds yummy right about now! :)
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    hawkins410 wrote: »
    According to this link, it is considered a tan food, which you may count separately than a brown food.
    http://www.foodinsight.org/Eat_a_Rainbow_Functional_Foods_and_Their_Colorful_Components
    Sounds yummy right about now! :)

Yes, I eat oatmeal for breakfast every weekday and will either add my raisins or some blueberries and have my two colors knocked out for the day!! Sounds very yummy right about now...but will have to wait for about another 4-5 hours...boy that sounds forever away right now!! Lol
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Question regarding the arm workouts: I am currently doing a strength training program called "Shock Training System" and all the arm exercises in the fall fun challenge videos are in the STS workout. There are two 55 minute dvds that are arms/upper body and I do both dvds this week. May I count these for the suggested arm workout videos for this challenge?

Please note that I fully understand if it is a "no"; I just thought I'd ask. As always....thanks for your time. I hope you are having a great day.
  • hawkins410
    Options

Question regarding the arm workouts: I am currently doing a strength training program called "Shock Training System" and all the arm exercises in the fall fun challenge videos are in the STS workout. There are two 55 minute dvds that are arms/upper body and I do both dvds this week. May I count these for the suggested arm workout videos for this challenge?
    Please note that I fully understand if it is a "no"; I just thought I'd ask. As always....thanks for your time. I hope you are having a great day.
    Sounds good to me! Maybe add an extra 25 minutes, if possible without danger of injury. Then you will have covered all your bases and will get extra minutes too! :)
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks!
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    I had spring mix salad at lunch...I think it has spinach and other greens but also had radicchio for red. Just wanted to make sure I'd be able to count that for green and red today. Otherwise I have to eat some other color still tonight and my options are slim pickings!! Lol
  • MissionEnforcer
    MissionEnforcer Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Do red lentils fall under red or brown? What about things like butter/lima beans? Is dairy included in the challenge?
  • hawkins410
    edited November 2016
    Options
    scarletspy wrote: »
    Do red lentils fall under red or brown? What about things like butter/lima beans? Is dairy included in the challenge?
    Red lentils: Red
    Butter beans: Tan/brown
    Green lima bean: Green
    Dairy: No. It's not part of this challenge.
    I hope this helps! :)