2017--This Year is Our Year!!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,644 Member
    Pam - wow, that's a LOT of time in rehab. Worth it if he gets to go home eventually.

I took Jessicat to the oncologist this morning. He's pleased with her progress and is moving her to 8-weeks between appointments. He told me what my options are with respect to rabies vaccinations for her. My mind was all wrapped up in that as I was driving home and I completely forgot I meant to swing by the regular vet to pick up the mailing. Drat! I'll have to make a special trip tomorrow or Friday.

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,826 Member
    The rehab DH went to after his heart surgery was a similar type place. The work they can do is amazing. He was only there 2 weeks because they did the surgery before he had a second heart attack. One probably would have happened down the road isf his cardiologist hadn't realized somethig from his tests wasn't normal. My sister and her BF head for home tomorrow. My FL sister arrived yesterday and is going to stay a week. It was beginning to look like they wouldn't see was other Because FL sister got a virus over the weekend. So it's a short visit for them but at least they got to see each other.
  • mdubbs1
    Indy is cautiously investigating a little. While we were eating dinner she came around the corner from the top of the basement stairs, spotted the TV, and sat down and watched intently. I wonder what she was thinking????
  • Helene610
    If cats could speak! we've been watching a series on PBS Nature lately. The show put cameras inside realistic animals to spy on the pack behavior of animals. The animals mostly accepted the spybot as a real member of the pack so you see family dynamics in play that you normally wouldn't see. We love it. Glad to hear Indy is making progress. It must be very rewarding for you after all the effort you've put in to making her healthy.
  • mdubbs1
    edited March 2017
    I've seen some short videos of those spybot animals. Too funny!

• mdubbs1
    Indy is now very comfortable coming up the basement stairs. If she goes left, she's in the kitchen, which she's done. Also to the left are the stairs up to the flap leading to the cat porch. She is VERY interested in that, having seen cats go in and out.

If she goes right, she goes into the dining room and from there the rest of the house. She has only gone a few feet that direction. She seems a little dubious about the carpet.
  • mdubbs1
    When Rex Tillerson and Ivanka Trump are the voice of reason we're doomed: http://theslot.jezebel.com/white-house-split-on-whether-to-irrevocably-*kitten*-the-pl-1792944885
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Greetings. I know that I've been MIA but I just competed two weeks of five days of work each. The paycheck will be nice but I have to admit it is now beginning to get tiresome. As of now, I just have two days of work scheduled for next week.

I've gotten hooked on those Vitalicious Vitatops for an evening snack, so I just received an order with free shipping. I've not been able to find them or the Halo ice cream in the city.
  • mdubbs1
    Hi, Jean! Two weeks of teaching full-time would wear me out!

The Halo ice cream section of the Safeway doesn't seem to get restocked. I'm so so on what I've tried. Definitely better than Arctic Zero but I think they need to work on the flavorings. How many calories are in flavorings? I bought a pint of Enlightened Triple Chocolate today. They were on sale 3/$10 in an endcap display at the Giant. More calories than Halo but nothing like ice cream. But Michele on the NS board likes Halo better so I'll reserve judgment until I try it.

One more weekend before the spring cat show. It's not a big one so hopefully I can resist making too big a deal. When we pack up I have to keep the May craft show in mind and pack appropriately. We actually talked our way into a juried craft show. Same place we do the flea market and same people so they know us. I don't think they're being too picky. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    Big article on the front page of the Baltimore paper today. Principals in Baltimore City Schools told to submit a budget for next year at 80% of this year (apparently they were given control over their own budgets 12 years ago). As if city schools didn't have enough problems. I wonder if any of them started by reducing their own pay? The article talks about after school music, tutoring and sports being cut.
  • mdubbs1
    It's a challenge keeping the calorie count down on weekends when I have two fairly "normal" meals at dinner time.

The coming two weeks will also be a challenge. Next weekend is the cat show. I buy "lunchables" and packets of carrots and apples to take along to that so that I don't buy show food. It's definitely an improvement over what I used to do. This show is at an inside arena (yeah, weird place for a show) and their concession stand is open all weekend. http://freestatesports.com/

About a week later is my birthday. I'm hoping to "compromise" between sticking to the diet and going completely off the rails.

• KonaKat
    I went to the city again today and got my nails done followed by grocery shopping at WalMart. I was very focused and shopped the appropriate aisles. I didn't see any Halo ice cream but there was a Bonny Bell or something like that which had similar calories. I didn't indulge.

Maryanne--you will meet the upcoming challenges. You have already started planning what to take to eat to avoid the stuff sold at the shows.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - that's a new one to me!

I lost a pound last week. Here's hoping I can keep heading in the right direction!
  • Helene610
    Maryanne, maybe you could designate a couple of meals during these two weeks as eat what you want in moderation. Outside of those meals, stick to what you're doing. During one of my WW stretches, I remember the group leader saying one bad meal out of a week wouldn't totally undo your progress. She pointed out there are 21 meals in a week so doing 20 good meals would off set a bad one without derailing your whole progress as long as you don't give up and go totally off the track because of a bad meal. Even a bad meal isn't that bad if you do portion control.
  • mdubbs1
    Kentucky wants to re-segregate its schools and the law is apparently likely to pass: http://theslot.jezebel.com/the-gop-controlled-kentucky-legislature-takes-on-desegr-1793006993
  • Helene610
    I'm trying something new today. I bought a set of perfect portion cups at a store like Big Lots. It's nesting cups with the type of food written on the outside. I just had carb serving of leftover pasta, with a drizzle of olive oil and a teaspoon of pesto. For dessert, I'm having the fruit cup filled with fresh strawberries. I'm having a half portion of Greek yogurt on the strawberries. And the beverage of choice is a glass of water. I'd seen the cups on an informercial. It was part of an exercise program with a celebrity trainer and a DVD. I guess they had excess cups so those ended up in my store. I'll see how accurately measure portions for a while does versus eyeballing them.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Maryanne, maybe you could designate a couple of meals during these two weeks as eat what you want in moderation. Outside of those meals, stick to what you're doing. During one of my WW stretches, I remember the group leader saying one bad meal out of a week wouldn't totally undo your progress. She pointed out there are 21 meals in a week so doing 20 good meals would off set a bad one without derailing your whole progress as long as you don't give up and go totally off the track because of a bad meal. Even a bad meal isn't that bad if you do portion control.

I think I'll print this out and make it my goal! I think if I could get to the point I could do this it would be a huge step!
  • KonaKat
    Sleep pods in high school? Apparently, teens are so deprived of sleep that these sleep pods give them a 20 minute opportunity to nap. It has been my experience that teens don't need a sleep pod to nap in class.

Helene--You'll have to update us on how well the system works. It sounds a little bit like the measuring system that comes with the 21 Day Fix program. We had a teacher no longer with us who lost a huge amount of weight on that program and is now a consultant for Beach Body to promote the program. She is now at another school.

Maryanne--Congrats upon the pound lost. Keep up the good work.

I maintained this past week. I guess that is better than gaining.