Is snow Keto?
    Cause we got it in Houston. Lol

• Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Is snow Keto?

Snow is absolutely Keto Approved! LOL! (Just don't eat the yellow snow!)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Is snow Keto?

LOL. I received a pic from my my brother in Laredo showing a snowing field. Snow in Texas IS news!
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Ooooh! Pickle juice snowcones!! Yeah baby!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Okay, feeling good for now. Ate some unplanned greens due to hunger, and still came out okay for today carbwise. One can of green beans with butter. Might be another early bird day since l know that if I eat too early, I don't stop.
    I'm in a usual holiday slump, but so far it's manageble.
    Going to my son's house in 12 days! I can make it til then. Can't wait.

Hope to accomplish a couple things during this time, but keeping my expectations low so I don't feel pressured or anxious.
    Just going with the flow.

Visualizing being all in one peaceful-minded, slimmed-down piece on Jan 3.... ready to chase down my new resolutions. (which I haven't come up with yet.) I often really do manage to follow through with my resolutions, which are written down and kept in a box under my bed all year long. Maybe even 80% of the time, I succeed. So there is all that newness to look forward to in 2018.

I am a big fan of clean slates, and starting over as needed.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @elize7 - you GO! The peaceful-minded visualization is AMAZING. :)
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    @elize7 - I am in awe of people who keep up with resolutions. I tend to forget them a week after I make them! That's amazing that you keep them and really work on them. Definitely inspiration for me! I love clean slates too, unfortunately clean plates too. ;)

All good here, no soreness at all from the marathon. Had a bit of a scare with possible start into ketoacidosis, I guess I restricted carbs way more than I needed to with all the exercise but a few cookies, sugar and orange juice set that right. :) No problems.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7 - I am in awe of people who keep up with resolutions. I tend to forget them a week after I make them! That's amazing that you keep them and really work on them. Definitely inspiration for me! I love clean slates too, unfortunately clean plates too. ;)

All good here, no soreness at all from the marathon. Had a bit of a scare with possible start into ketoacidosis, I guess I restricted carbs way more than I needed to with all the exercise but a few cookies, sugar and orange juice set that right. :) No problems.

@Marcelynh - Ketoacidosis is pretty much impossible if your pancreas is producing insulin... Its the state of high blood sugar and high ketones in the absence of insulin. @Sunny_Bunny_ can explain better - her daughter is a Type 1 Diabetic, so she's done MASSIVE amounts of research on the topic...
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@Marcelynh - Ketoacidosis is pretty much impossible if your pancreas is producing insulin... Its the state of high blood sugar and high ketones in the absence of insulin. @Sunny_Bunny_ can explain better - her daughter is a Type 1 Diabetic, so she's done MASSIVE amounts of research on the topic...

I stand corrected. I only know what my body was doing.

I am fine and the addition of some sugar/carbs righted the situation. From MY research on the situation afterwards at The Diet Doctor and Dr. Volek's site I was not imagining the symptoms and while it may not have been diabetic ketoacidosis it was real and needed attention, which I did properly.

• Marcelynh
    Options
    blzoir9rav83.jpeg
    The weather was beautiful for the race. Started at 30 degrees and got up to about 50.

7zzcyrf5bgz3.jpeg
    Only saw two gators on the run. Was probably too cold for them to be out. They like sunshine. This little guy was about six feet long.

7cxgl3vlk1ma.jpeg
    Proof. My first "medal" made of wood. lol Trail runs are awesome. The atmosphere is totally different, a different crowd than street runners for sure.

l9co1yqpfdrk.jpeg
    Ran into my son twice on the course. This was at mile 22 for me and mile 40 for him. (He did the 100 mile run)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I am fine and the addition of some sugar/carbs righted the situation. From MY research on the situation afterwards at The Diet Doctor and Dr. Volek's site I was not imagining the symptoms and while it may not have been diabetic ketoacidosis it was real and needed attention, which I did properly.

I didn't mean to imply that the situation was not real or was imagined - I'm so sorry if it came across that way at all. I'm just saying that it was unlikely to be that exact issue. Many symptoms overlap, and so it's really difficult to determine what something is. Correlation is not causation is something I have to remember myself - just because something I did happened around the same time and issue resolved doesn't mean that it was the cure - and it doesn't mean that it is NOT the cure!

I'm so glad that you were able to resolve that scary issue. I'm glad that you and your husband could figure it out so quickly. Anything blood sugar related, anything dizzy/weakness/nausea or anything like that which doesn't resolve as expected scares the fire out of me! Especially since this was your first significant race while on keto...

As you said in your other post, continuing to experiment with what you do pre-, post-, and during your races will hopefully resolve this scare for you, and keep it from getting to this point again! I would hate for something helping you gain health strides to make your racing harder on you and your body... Every one is so different... I think someone mentioned it, but we used to have an active member here who maintained a level of ketosis at nearly 200 grams of carbs on his heaviest activity days - he used to do 20-30 mile bike rides - and have a snickers candy bar at some point - so his metabolism obviously was completely different than others who would have had bad sugar crashes after that...

I hope that you continued journey, @Marcelynh towards finding your best you is far less scary than this time was!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pics @Marcelynh! About that gator...I had a rule when I was an avid golfer...no gators! It was limiting but those things scare the bejeepers out of me.

I've been wondering where the marathon was. Benzo Bend State Park, Texas? I also noted the banner advertising pickle juice in one of your other photos. I guess it is not for keto folks only. :)
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've been wondering where the marathon was. Benzo Bend State Park, Texas? I also noted the banner advertising pickle juice in one of your other photos. I guess it is not for keto folks only. :)

Pickle juice is HUGE at trail runs. They sell it and it is at all the aid stations, plus pickles. Which I took advantage of.

Yes, the run was at Brazos Bend State Park, known for their alligators, kind of an alligator refuge. I expected to see more so two was a bit of a disappointment. This race is known as the fastest trail course in the US. It is totally flat with the exception of one tiny hill (they say 10 foot elevation). My Garmin showed my lowest elevation was 33 ft. and highest was 66 feet so it's pretty darned flat. The amazing thing is the winner of the 100 mile did it in 14 hours (may have already mentioned that). That's an 8:20 mile for 100 miles! Wow.... I just can't get over that. My son took 29 hours to do his 100 miles and he's beat today. Don't know what would be harder, 29 hours of moving or only 14 at a faster pace. I know I did one half-marathon in 2.5 hrs and then later did another with a friend that just walked (slowwwwwly) and it took 5 hours with her. The 2.5 took less of a toll on me than the 5 hrs did.

I liked the trail running so much better than street races so I might just start doing them. The people are friendlier too. Sorry to say that but it's true, it's a different type of folks running trails. You have to be willing to put on a headlamp and go out at 4 am dodging tree roots and all. And it does take a different type of running style. Your ankles take more on with the uneven terrain but the scenery sure is nicer than streets and buildings. :)

@KnitOrMiss - thanks

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Pickle juice is HUGE at trail runs. They sell it and it is at all the aid stations, plus pickles. Which I took advantage of.

Yes, the run was at Brazos Bend State Park, known for their alligators, kind of an alligator refuge. I expected to see more so two was a bit of a disappointment. This race is known as the fastest trail course in the US. It is totally flat with the exception of one tiny hill (they say 10 foot elevation). My Garmin showed my lowest elevation was 33 ft. and highest was 66 feet so it's pretty darned flat. The amazing thing is the winner of the 100 mile did it in 14 hours (may have already mentioned that). That's an 8:20 mile for 100 miles! Wow.... I just can't get over that. My son took 29 hours to do his 100 miles and he's beat today. Don't know what would be harder, 29 hours of moving or only 14 at a faster pace. I know I did one half-marathon in 2.5 hrs and then later did another with a friend that just walked (slowwwwwly) and it took 5 hours with her. The 2.5 took less of a toll on me than the 5 hrs did.

I liked the trail running so much better than street races so I might just start doing them. The people are friendlier too. Sorry to say that but it's true, it's a different type of folks running trails. You have to be willing to put on a headlamp and go out at 4 am dodging tree roots and all. And it does take a different type of running style. Your ankles take more on with the uneven terrain but the scenery sure is nicer than streets and buildings. :)

@KnitOrMiss - thanks

I find it utterly fascinating that the sheer act of being in motion longer, rather than more intense exertion for less time, is more exhausting. The human body is such a mystery, isn't it?
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Nuts! They got me again. Worse than potato chips for me. I love them. Just can't find a strategy to make them work for me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Nuts! They got me again. Worse than potato chips for me. I love them. Just can't find a strategy to make them work for me.

@elize7 - the only thing I've seen recommended is to get them raw, not roasted and salted, and soak them overnight... Or at least not salted... It's the salt that adds to their magic... And then to buy only individual packs (or make them, if you can do that successfully), brush your teeth after a single serving, etc. I did macadamia nuts when I was first keto, and I could force myself to stop after a few servings, but that was because I beat myself up over the cost of them. More than once did I eat a whole can (5 servings, I think)...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I’m glad you’ve found your proper balance.
    Knit is right. Ketoacidosis is impossible in any person who’s body produces insulin. It can ONLY happen when blood sugar is very high AND ketones are above 15 mmol/dl. It’s not even the ketones themselves that actually cause it though. It’s the very severe dehydration from the frequent urination due to the body trying to get rid of the excess glucose and ketones, and possibly from vomiting as well.
    First a person MUST have high blood sugar. We’re talking 250+ and usually it’s over 400 and often so high it’s actually unable to be measured on most readers. This must persist for long enough time that the body begins making ketones. The purpose of the ketones is life saving. They are literally preventing the person from dying so the person may have more time to get insulin to get energy into the cells. The ketones are actually a good thing.
    When blood sugar is high, long before any ketones are present, there is a dramatic increase in thirst because your body needs to make urine. A lot of it! So that it can flush as much glucose out that way as possible. Unfortunately, the person begins losing electrolytes with all this water as well and there’s no way they can replace them as fast as they are losing them and dehydration becomes a huge problem. Which seems strange when it’s not surprising to see them drink a gallon of water every 30 minutes and pee every 5-10 minutes. The acidosis occurs because of the extreme loss of sodium and potassium. The body cannot maintain its ph and the blood becomes acidic. Well before this happens you have a person with physical symptoms that resemble being drunk. They are wobbly when they walk. Furiously guzzling water with an urgency like their life depends on it. Because it does. Breathing is very short, like panting. They are drowsy and can fall asleep very easily. In a fairly short time, there is pain in various organs that the person, in my experience my daughter, is unable to even describe. Either because the brain itself is barely functioning enough to still communicate or because it’s simply indescribable.
    This isn’t uncomfortable. It isn’t a feeling like something just isn’t right. It isn’t simple pain. It isn’t like being sick or even a bad flu. It feels like you are dying, because with ketoacidosis you are, unless insulin can be delivered and IV fluids are started to replace the lost electrolytes ASAP. Even once insulin is given and blood sugar returns to normal the electrolytes typically take 2 full days to get close enough to normal to correct the blood ph.

With all that said, it’s obvious your symptoms were not ketoacidosis. However, they very likely were low sodium and potassium. This doesn’t make you acidotic though unless you mimick the dehydrating behaviors in the above scenario long enough to create a tiny change in blood ph. Which is possible. Even then, it takes days and days of dehydrating behaviors, which can include drinking a lot of water, to begin getting a teeny tiny fraction of the symptoms I described above. These symptoms people often call “keto flu”. They are 100% avoidable. Just to be clear, im not saying “keto flu” is any form of acidosis. Im saying it’s possible for sodium and potassium levels to get so low a person can become acidotic. A person just needs to understand that water isn’t the key to hydration, sodium is, and that when you go low carb you will first lose a bunch of water weight from using up a good deal of your stored glycogen then from increased urination, however nothing like in ketoacidosis, and merely drinking water is only going to cause more sodium and potassium loss and worsen the “keto flu” symptoms. Which are very commonly, light headedness, brain fog, headache, nausea, muscle cramps, fatigue, thirst, cravings, hunger when you should be hungry, constipation and heart flutters just to name a few.

Sodium is the key to having no “keto flu”. Or more carbs as you discovered. With more carbs, you don’t excrete sodium the same way and it doesn’t get low as easily. It still can happen very easily with anyone limiting carbs, but the symptoms aren’t perceived the same way and it won’t happen as quickly.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ - Thank you for the sadly excellent description of diabetic ketoacidosis. As well as the comparison to the so-called keto flu. I still feel completely heartbroken every time I think of all the horrible things your daughter has gone through...and I'd definitely wish that on no one...

I don't know if you missed to context to her extreme dehydration, but she ran a marathon (extended one, like 28 or 29 miles), and kept up her hydration/electrolytes (from how it seemed) fairly well during the race, but afterwards, I think she encountered some kind of crazy delayed effect or a weird rebound electrolyte shift... I'm not sure, and I haven't done the science, but I think that she depleted most of her electrolytes, and the body was robbing Peter to pay Paul, so to speak, and that next day, she hit a wall with being depleted, and her body no longer had enough stores to balance it...

I'm glad that @Marcelynh was finally able to get level - and relatively so quickly! I am wondering if there any keto-friendly post-race electrolyte replenishers available - I'm sure she can make some...like an after race drink to chug down, etc., perhaps even every 4-6 waking hours for the next day or something. She was truly well prepared, it just was her first race since going keto, and so whatever delayed or rebound effect she had was unexpected after feeling so strong AFTER the race... I'm excited to see what she learns as she continues to train and race!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ - Thank you for the sadly excellent description of diabetic ketoacidosis. As well as the comparison to the so-called keto flu. I still feel completely heartbroken every time I think of all the horrible things your daughter has gone through...and I'd definitely wish that on no one...

I don't know if you missed to context to her extreme dehydration, but she ran a marathon (extended one, like 28 or 29 miles), and kept up her hydration/electrolytes (from how it seemed) fairly well during the race, but afterwards, I think she encountered some kind of crazy delayed effect or a weird rebound electrolyte shift... I'm not sure, and I haven't done the science, but I think that she depleted most of her electrolytes, and the body was robbing Peter to pay Paul, so to speak, and that next day, she hit a wall with being depleted, and her body no longer had enough stores to balance it...

I'm glad that @Marcelynh was finally able to get level - and relatively so quickly! I am wondering if there any keto-friendly post-race electrolyte replenishers available - I'm sure she can make some...like an after race drink to chug down, etc., perhaps even every 4-6 waking hours for the next day or something. She was truly well prepared, it just was her first race since going keto, and so whatever delayed or rebound effect she had was unexpected after feeling so strong AFTER the race... I'm excited to see what she learns as she continues to train and race!

Oh. I did miss all that back story.
    I still suspect sodium and potassium were very low. The delayed reaction still makes sense. If you read The Salt Fix, he talks about how our tissues store sodium and can mobilize it into the blood of needed but then the tissues become depleted. Since they’re mostly storage it’s not such a big deal but there’s a protective effect of the sodium in tissues too. Anyway, if sodium and probably potassium too wasn’t still being replenished even after the race while still being keto, severe depletion would be likely. The daily need is high and it’s even higher for activity like a race like that. If someone is dosing Salt during hard activity but then mostly just stops the next day because they figure they don’t really need to do it anymore, the daily need isn’t being met. The day before doesn’t much matter. I mean, someone can go from zero symptoms to having symptoms in just a few hours in the right circumstances.