Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Currently in the start up keto phase. Eating more fat cals than work for loss, but letting go of carbs is hard. So I do more fat for about two weeks, then zero in on weightloss macro targets.
    Really trying to return to basics and the re-establishing of good, tried and true keto habits from about 18 months ago.
    It's important to me to get this going at this time. I've carved out time to focus on a few of my own goals and settling into a stable food plan would enhance this greatly.
    Not to mention that keto energy and mood boost would be sooooo wecolme.
    Feeling like this could turn out to be a good holiday season for me, myself and I.
    My "artists way" course is going so well. It's really sparking up my interest in my own life. So glad I'm sticking with it and doing the work involved with it. Shifting the focus from seeking approval from others to being my own damn self and seeing who likes it.
  • Rosie040522
    Rosie040522 Posts: 14 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My husband and I started keto approx. 5 weeks ago. My husband has lost about 19 lbs so far and I have lost 13 lbs as of this morning. Anyone have any successful fat bomb recipes? I tried one and it was horrible. Also, please add me as a friend, could always use more support from my keto community.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Ortiz1226 wrote: »
    My husband and I started keto approx. 5 weeks ago. My husband has lost about 19 lbs so far and I have lost 13 lbs as of this morning. Anyone have any successful fat bomb recipes? I tried one and it was horrible. Also, please add me as a friend, could always use more support from my keto community.

I use macadamia nuts as fat bombs or Parmesan cheese Whisps. Find some food that fits the macro and use that as your fat bomb. The only way that I could stomach the cream cheese fat bombs was by adding peppermint or covered them with the dark chocolate.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

This is one is my go to... https://ketosummit.com/chocolate-almond-fat-bomb-recipe-paleo-keto-lowcarb

Edited to add that since I’ve been doing this for awhile, I don’t use fat bombs as part of my regular diet anymore but I put them in ice cube trays for smaller portion sizes to keep in the freezer and eat as a treat. I ate those instead of my kids Halloween candy... it worked like a charm :) .
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I always liked an Almond Joy fat bombs. Melt some coconut oil and mix in 100% cocoa. Add coconut, stevia and sliced or slivered almonds. I don't have specific measurements but you'll find them on line.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Almonds, coconut and cacao powder are what’s in the recipe for the link I attached above. I’m not sure how the measurements or preparation compare but I imagine the taste wouldn’t be much different from your Almond Joy fat bombs.
  • elize7
    Options
    Hello all. Just checking in. Been getting on with things pretty well, and inching my way back to a good solid keto food plan. Almost back down to 20 carbs daily again where I seem to do well overall. Not quite there.
    Working steady on my art course.
    Gearing up for upcoming holiday season. Not going out much, but will plan some happy things to do.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Awesome dedication @elize7!
  • pitbull603
    pitbull603 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone....
    I'm checking in.
    My keto adventure has allowed me to lose over 100lbs. I told my family that i wouldn't worry about it to much throughout the holidays...lol
    So yams are a beautiful thing...until the diarrhea set in...so...has anyone else experienced this after breaking the carb rule?
    PS...it might have been the sweet potato pie!...lol
    Back to keto!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    pitbull603: Oh yes, If I go wild with carbs I definitely need to stay near a bathroom. More common for me though is lethargy and headaches. And bloated... oh my carbs definitely bloat me up.

On vacation and working hard to find low-carb alternatives. I found some jicama "tortillas" that are only 1.5 g of carbs each. Going to try them for tacos tonight.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    pitbull603 wrote: »
    Hey everyone....
    I'm checking in.
    My keto adventure has allowed me to lose over 100lbs. I told my family that i wouldn't worry about it to much throughout the holidays...lol
    So yams are a beautiful thing...until the diarrhea set in...so...has anyone else experienced this after breaking the carb rule?
    PS...it might have been the sweet potato pie!...lol
    Back to keto!

Your body is smart and knows to dump out excess blood glucose through your urine and stool, as necessary. That's one of the reason Metformin can trigger diarrhea in some. Metformin is a insulin/glucose management medication that is used mainly by diabetics or others with impaired glucose management. It pushes that bodily reaction. It very much stands to reason, @pitbull603 , that your body would do this naturally with a healthy metabolism, especially as sugar is viewed as a poison by a detoxed or healthy body....

For me, it's more about joint inflammation and pain...but I'm also still the owner of an impaired metabolism...
  • elize7
    Options
    Half way through this holiday season and I'm calling it more low carb than my beloved keto...but I'm grateful to still be in the ballpark. I'm doing the best I can, and that is the best I can do. Still working and struggling to keep the food part real for the next 33 days. Low carb is good. It could be way worse.
    Had a less than awesome week. Still kicking, though.
    Trying to get plans made early with my son for Xmas... a possible trip to the Cape for a few days,...so I have something to look forward to. That would be ideal! Then he thinks he'll visit here for a couple weeks in January. This would really be good for me. I can use a break from the empty nest stillness.

Thinking of the Rolling Stones song,
    "You can't always get what you want,
    But if you try sometimes...
    You get what you need"

Happy Holidays to all my fitness pals!
    Could not have gotten where I am without you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @elize7 so glad the hear all the positivity there!
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    Okay, report on the jicama tortillas. Awesome. 2g carbs, 1 g fiber make them a go-to for mexican food. We ate them raw and just warmed up a little bit then filled like a normal taco. My husband loved the crunch that they gave. Better than the cheese flats we usually make (that are greasy and wonderful but not crunchy).

Hiked today and then ran sprints on the treadmill. Might be ready for that marathon yet! Only 11 days to go.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Okay, report on the jicama tortillas. Awesome. 2g carbs, 1 g fiber make them a go-to for mexican food. We ate them raw and just warmed up a little bit then filled like a normal taco. My husband loved the crunch that they gave. Better than the cheese flats we usually make (that are greasy and wonderful but not crunchy).

Hiked today and then ran sprints on the treadmill. Might be ready for that marathon yet! Only 11 days to go.

I'm interested in the tortilla. What brand are they and what are they made out of? Where did you find them? Let me know I would really like to have an alternative to lettuce leaves.
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    I got them at my local grocery, H.E.B. but you can make them. Just take a jicama, peel it and then slice it as thin as you like. These were almost paper thin. That's all there is to it. There are some recipes out there that add in some other ingredients, I found a couple googling jicama tortillas but we found the plain raw jicama lovely.
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    December Goals:

Maintain ketosis through the month of December and avoid Christmas sweets (think nuts!)
    Add 20 new recipes to my personal keto recipe book (I only add them if they are a hit)
    Enjoy every last minute of the last of 2017
    Run and finish my first full marathon (December 9th)

Won't put exercise or food goals on here for December. I'm exercising plenty and eating... well I eat plenty too but I'm not gaining an ounce and still slowly losing or at least maintaining so I'm not going to stress about that this month.
  • omerfkhan
    omerfkhan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

This is one is my go to... https://ketosummit.com/chocolate-almond-fat-bomb-recipe-paleo-keto-lowcarb

Edited to add that since I’ve been doing this for awhile, I don’t use fat bombs as part of my regular diet anymore but I put them in ice cube trays for smaller portion sizes to keep in the freezer and eat as a treat. I ate those instead of my kids Halloween candy... it worked like a charm :) .

hi

i checked this site for choclate almond fat bomb it says per serving have 6 g of carbs if i have to stay below 20 g per day how can i eat it? if i eat 3 servings that will be 18 g.

i am confused how you people use these fat bombs and stay below 20 g of carbs per day?