Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options
1424344454648»

Replies

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I had a regularly scheduled Dr.'s appointment and we talked through what happened after the race. Knowing my personal medical history he and I were able to piece together a good picture of what happened. I was not low on electrolytes. My sodium and potassium and magnesium were just fine as I made super sure of that. I even thought I might have been overdoing it during the race but felt good so I didn't worry. After reading the book on Low-Carb performance I was well prepared for the electrolyte issues. While there were some other issues which I'd rather not disclose the main ones were that 1) I had hydrated well during the race but afterwards went quite some time without doing so and that contributed to dehydration. And 2) I have extremely low blood pressure and that was a contributing factor. Those two main things contributed to the issues I had. I also need to learn how many carbs I can consume when racing. That is something that can be totally different for each person and I just haven't found my level. Since it was my first marathon while doing Keto I was probably too conservative and needed some for blood sugar levels.

The good thing is my Dr. is just fine with my doing Keto. I read so many people who have their Dr. against keto.

And I felt great during the race. Never ran out of energy, super clarity, it was a good race.

Thanks for the explanations about ketoacidosis @Sunny_Bunny_ . I just jumped there out of ignorance and reading some basic symptoms. Thankfully the treatement I chose was the right one for my issue. I'm much more informed now.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hey keto friends! Since this is the daily check in thread for 2017, I figured with 2017 coming to an end, now would be an appropriate time to have a fresh new thread for the coming year. Feel free to jump in there anytime!

I will add the link here as soon as I figure out how!
  • choolou
    choolou Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just threw a successful Christmas party where I served both keto and classic holiday treats. I am happy to report I did not cave in and cheat, and actually I wasn’t fixating on the food like I thought I would be.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The not fixating on food is a huge benefit in my experience. It's just food. Kudos.

I've found that giving myself permission to eat "whatever" makes it less seductive therefore less desirable and the "want" goes away.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    By tomorrow the toffee nuts damage will be undone, I'm back in a good keto groove for a couple days now - with only keto foods in the kitchen, and still not a drop of alcohol for over a week....feeling good about things.
    In six days I'll be seeing my son and that doesn't seem so long.
    I think I'm going to take these remaining days of 2017, and try to feel grateful about what I do have in this life and forget about the losses for awhile.
    What doesn't make me happy now, can find its way into a New Years Resolution, or just fade away.
    So grateful for all my fitness pals!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

@4031isaiah - I pinned the post to the top of the page, too. Let me know if you'd rather have it in the lower section instead...
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hi how does diet Dr pepper fit in with low carbs?? Is it allowed?
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    12 weeks is a good amount of time to wait. I have my first headache, and it came right after that energy drink. I was trying to be proactive since we have 2 family birthdays this month and one in Aug and our anniversary. But I still have a fair amount if weight to loose. I am pretty good with the mentality, lets keep focused this year and i will enjoy those treats (Or keto like treats) much better next year with better health and more weight loss. Thanks KnitOrMiss

I'm trying to learn what are keto treats?
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Hi how does diet Dr pepper fit in with low carbs?? Is it allowed?

Supposedly Diet drinks do not affect your ketosis levels. But that can vary according to the individual in my experience. What I have discovered though is that diet drinks do raise my insulin levels, my body reacts to artificial sweeteners just like they are sugar. So keep track of what your body does when you consume it and go from there. I find that avoiding the artificial sweeteners keep me from having sugar cravings.
  • LadySlimMcFancyPants
    Options
    I've been eating like crap over the holidays and I feel crappy. I'm so happy to be back on keto!
  • diva7531
    diva7531 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Starting Keto on 1/2. Looking forward to it!
  • cnille619
    cnille619 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Christine. Starting KETO again. Been off for a year and time to get back to taking care of ME
  • cnille619
    Options
    UGH! MFP still cutting my posts in half. Anyways, lost 100 lbs last round need to lose 20 or so. Doing Keto
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cnille619 wrote: »
    UGH! MFP still cutting my posts in half. Anyways, lost 100 lbs last round need to lose 20 or so. Doing Keto
    If you add an emoji other than those in the MFP toolbar (above the box where you type text), MFP usually cuts off anything that follows the emoji.
  • cnille619
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    cnille619 wrote: »
    If you add an emoji other than those in the MFP toolbar (above the box where you type text), MFP usually cuts off anything that follows the emoji.

Thank you