Zero Carber-give me your meat!

1235789

Replies

  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    People only read what they write. And think too highly of their own comments. Good luck on your path.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    My experience with eating more carbs while having to eat a soft diet (to allow my body to heal after having a portion of my small, and large, intestine removed, as well as the bypassed portion of my stomach because of an ulcer that was diagnosed before I ever started LCHF) has been a return of the pain due to muscle spasm in my neck that had improved drastically while eating LCHF (which stands for LOW CARB HIGH FAT)! I'm also experiencing fibromyalgia pain that I had forgotten about!

    I've been part of this group for two years and I have never seen anyone insist that a certain carb level is best for everyone. This group is all about finding the level that works for YOU. Then supporting each other through the process! I trust the anecdotal (personal experiences) information here more than what I see through Google...
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    @Karlottap Thank you for chiming in with your experience. Im so sorry to hear about your surgery and that your pain has returned. What kind of soft foods do you have to eat? Meat can be made into a paste!

    @Sunny_Bunny_ Your words always ring so true!

    Today is day 23 of eating carnivore.

    Observations: the craving I have is for chocolatey desserts. I had made a chocolate whipped cream during my first week of zc and discovered that I drank the entire little carton and still wanted more, so I haven't bought anymore since. I feel like I would binge on the hwc.
    I have just about cut out all coffee, although if I really want one I will just have one. I have reduced the cheese I have been eating, and am eating about 80% beef, 20% chicken thighs last week.
    Over the weekend I ate a ribeye for dinner Friday, breakfast and dinner Saturday and breakfast Sunday. I found a great sale at a local store and bought quite a few. I was feeling quite sick with no energy Friday, and got better quickly with hours on the couch and netflix...and ribeyes? Who knows for sure. It did seem like a speedy recovery though.

    Feeling pretty good and my pants are feeling looser, but my sleep has gone back to normal, which is to say difficulty getting up in the morning but trouble falling asleep. Hoping that deep zc sleep finds me again soon.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Karlottap wrote: »
    ... has been a return of the pain due to muscle spasm in my neck that had improved drastically while eating LCHF...

    Thanks for responding @karlotta. I'm sorry to hear the spasming has returned but in that peculiar sort of way, it gives additional hope that I am on the right path. YOU (and your mention of your Dystonia improving) were the catalyst for me starting Keto. In the beginning, I had a bit of difficulty with carb bingeing and every. single. time the neck spasms associated with my Cervical Dystonia returned with vigor and I was once again "locked right". I recall we're both "right turners". This crap is miserable and embarrassing but at least we seem to have a solution. I KNOW you'll be glad to get back to carnivore. Right now I'm 70-80% fat overall (117 grams minimum) of which 42grams are MCT. Frankly, I'm attempting to keep vegetables in my diet but, hey, I'll give them up (reluctantly) to not be a "bobblehead".

    Appreciate your input.

  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    @Kirstie155 & @Karlottap

    Braunschweiger for the win?
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    I LOVE Braunschweiger! Was eating that last week with cream cheese...mmmm.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,287 Member
    edited January 2017
    Day 21 for me doing ZC. Weight has not changed a lot - only down 1/2 a lb since Friday (I know, there are peeps on here that would kill for that drop in 3 days :) ), but I know that inches are going down significantly. I am currently wearing a pair of jeans that only 2 weeks ago I could wear w/o a belt and this morning I had grab the belt again to keep them from sliding off my hips! Sleep is still going quite well - only sleep an average of 6 hours a night, but I feel more rested from that amount of sleep than I ever did before trying ZC (no afternoon sleep needs, more energy during the day, etc.). My workouts have not suffered any during this time either - I am not doing any more reps than I used to, but I am doing much more weight than before (which could also contribute to the lower than desired weight loss). I am also going to cut back on the amount of cheese that I have been eating and see if that helps push me in the right direction.

    All-in-all, I feel this is a positive move for me and I will continue to be a carnivore!

    eta - because spelling...
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Kirstie155 wrote: »

    I made my best pan fried steak today! I like a nice sear on the steak, and have been failing at getting the crust without overcooking the steak. Today I used a steak iron that I forgot I had, and that made all the difference at getting the maximum steak surface contact. Yum!!!

    Don't know what kind of oven you have, but I have found that cooking steaks in the broiler is second best to actually being able to grill them!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    swezeytba wrote: »

    Don't know what kind of oven you have, but I have found that cooking steaks in the broiler is second best to actually being able to grill them!

    My broiler isnt the best, not sure how old the oven is but it was in the house 2 years ago when we bought it. It can melt cheese, but I'm not sure I would trust it with a steak...:p It's funny because our grill is really on its last leg too and we are dragging our feet to buy a new one. This one came with the house and technically works, but it is quirky and sometimes all the burners dont light until you fiddle with it for awhile. We said we would buy a new one next summer last year, and still holding on! What a difference a good grill and broiler would make!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    My broiler isnt the best, not sure how old the oven is but it was in the house 2 years ago when we bought it. It can melt cheese, but I'm not sure I would trust it with a steak...:p It's funny because our grill is really on its last leg too and we are dragging our feet to buy a new one. This one came with the house and technically works, but it is quirky and sometimes all the burners dont light until you fiddle with it for awhile. We said we would buy a new one next summer last year, and still holding on! What a difference a good grill and broiler would make!

    Sounds like with this WOE you might want to break down and invest in one or the other at least to start with...lol :)
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    swezeytba wrote: »

    Sounds like with this WOE you might want to break down and invest in one or the other at least to start with...lol :)

    Eventually, for sure! For now we just limp along. Last night I made 2 bacon cheddar meatloafs, inspired by @Sunny_Bunny_ s post. I didnt follow a recipe or take a picture, just eggs, GB, lots of cheddar, bacon on top :) they were both super moist, and leaked some yummy goo out of the sides...loaf butter? I ate it with a spoon, omg so good! My mom used to always throw that out, so I did too! Not anymore!! I am thinking they were so juicy due to the lack of breadcrumbs soaking up all that gooeyness. MMM. I found 80/20 ground beef on sale for $1.98 (usually around $3 +, even on sale) and bought about 10#, today I am going back for more!

    Day 24, I had some homemade roast beef and a chicken thigh for lunch, energy is good after my lifting session last night and I slept better too. I think I might actually be done with my bathroom troubles? I stopped adding extra fat to my meat, which is what I think was causing the issues. Now what do I do with the jar of hamburger grease I have? :/
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    Now what do I do with the jar of hamburger grease I have? :/

    If there is a sale on meat that is super lean (i.e. skinless chicken breast), you may need to add some fat when cooking it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,614 Member
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    @Karlottap Thank you for chiming in with your experience. Im so sorry to hear about your surgery and that your pain has returned. What kind of soft foods do you have to eat? Meat can be made into a paste!

    @Sunny_Bunny_ Your words always ring so true!

    Today is day 23 of eating carnivore.

    Observations: the craving I have is for chocolatey desserts. I had made a chocolate whipped cream during my first week of zc and discovered that I drank the entire little carton and still wanted more, so I haven't bought anymore since. I feel like I would binge on the hwc.
    I have just about cut out all coffee, although if I really want one I will just have one. I have reduced the cheese I have been eating, and am eating about 80% beef, 20% chicken thighs last week.
    Over the weekend I ate a ribeye for dinner Friday, breakfast and dinner Saturday and breakfast Sunday. I found a great sale at a local store and bought quite a few. I was feeling quite sick with no energy Friday, and got better quickly with hours on the couch and netflix...and ribeyes? Who knows for sure. It did seem like a speedy recovery though.

    Feeling pretty good and my pants are feeling looser, but my sleep has gone back to normal, which is to say difficulty getting up in the morning but trouble falling asleep. Hoping that deep zc sleep finds me again soon.

    Is it the chocolate, itself? If so, it might be worth trying some magnesium or a little selenium. While it will likely level out over time, it might be useful to bump it up a bit more to account for pre-existing deficiencies.

    If you want to do it through food, oysters and fresh tuna are good sources of selenium, while yogurt and mackerel are good sources of magnesium. (Alternatively, on the magnesium front, you can always take a good bath in a bunch of epsom salt.)
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    @Dragonwolf funny you should mention magnesium...I probably average 3 epsom salts baths a month! I take one after a workout every week or 10 days. Haha.

    I think I am craving chocolate because old habits die hard, but proud to say I haven't strayed once into the arms of a candy bar. I made a whipped cream with unsweetened cocoa powder early on, scarfed the whole thing and was left wanting more! and realized that was out of control eating. None since, but that chocolate...she calls to me.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    Now what do I do with the jar of hamburger grease I have? :/

    If there is a sale on meat that is super lean (i.e. skinless chicken breast), you may need to add some fat when cooking it.

    I like the fatty thighs with skin :p no white meat for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Thanks @Kirstie155 for the meat "paste" suggestion. I tried that, but couldn't get past how it looked to enjoy it, plus, I was concerned it would leave me hating meat, lol! Also, too big of a mess! I went for convenience too!

    Thanks, all, for the well wishes! Today is my first day back, and I'm ready for a Ribeye steak! Woo Hoo!! Yay to meat, and stopping the pain (and awful neck spasm too!!)! Bring on the bacon, sausage, chicken thighs, pork tenderloin....geez, I'm hungry thinking about it (anyone else too?), lol! No more of that gas either!!

    Hugs!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    @karlottap glad to hear you are back to meats today, enjoy!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    I ate a lot today. Day...25? Had leftover meatloaf for breakfast, some roast beef and my last bear chicken thigh, did my strong lifts workout and had a bowl of ground beef with hot sauce and some sour cream. That was delicious! Ate more than I needed to today though, and more out of routine and enjoying my food then real hunger. Pizza at work tomorrow, so going to skip that and just not eat. I should probably stop eating breakfast, since I don't wake up hungry and I eat more on those days.