Erin's OMAD Diary

Replies

• minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited August 2017
    1.1 kg is super awesome!

Perfection is the enemy of good... :-)

I did 18/6 for probably 12-18 months back in 2011/2012 and lost weight then maintained. (Still can't remember why I stopped! Doh!)

I'd say keep on doing that while it works (and it may work long term - it does for many many people).
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Happy birthday to your son Erin!!!! and congratulations for that nice drop! well done!!!
  • EVP_NZ
    EVP_NZ Posts: 117 Member
    Upped my Fitbit goal to 14,000 steps a day. Got most of those in a 90-minute walk on the paved path by the river. The sun has shown for two days in a row. Bless.

Adjusting again to dairy-free life. Now I just wish I could find affordable ethical cashews so I could make some of those dairy substitutes so popular with the Paleo and vegan crowd.
  • minigrrll
    Yay for the sun! I wish I could drop the dairy, but I can't imagine a life without cheese...
  • EVP_NZ
    minigrrll wrote: »
    I wish I could drop the dairy, but I can't imagine a life without cheese...

It's funny. Cheese is okay, but not really the thing I miss, except on pizza. My favourite low carb pizza crust is made of cheese. And honestly, I'd rather have a salad than a pizza without cheese.

The thing I miss is milk and cream. We even, honest-to-goodness, have local raw organic milk, straight from the farmer, A2 cows. If I think too much about that I want to cry.

So I've been reading a lot of vegan stuff, and it helps me get by. Don't tell NZ, but dairy isn't great for the environment. Did you know we produce 30% of the world's dairy? Mind-boggling for a country of 4 million in the South Pacific.
  • minigrrll
    We switched to soy milk about a year ago. I only ever have milk in coffee anyway (and not even the soy milk now that I'm fasting "clean" and drinking my coffe black). The whole meat/dairy industry isn't so great for the environment! Cream, I have about once or twice a year... But - Pavlova...

The think that pushed me over the edge with the dairy was, selfishly, not the environment, but reading How Not to Die by Michael Greger. I've been a vegetarian for 20 years though.

I actually did quit the cheese (and all dairy) for about 9 months but it's slowly crept back in. It doesn't help that we are now getting Hello Fresh delivered and a fair few of the meals have cheese.

And here I was thinking that NZ was just full of sheep. Clearly the cows are giving the sheep a run for their money!!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    EVP_NZ wrote: »
    We even, honest-to-goodness, have local raw organic milk, straight from the farmer, A2 cows. If I think too much about that I want to cry.

So I've been reading a lot of vegan stuff, and it helps me get by. Don't tell NZ, but dairy isn't great for the environment. Did you know we produce 30% of the world's dairy? Mind-boggling for a country of 4 million in the South Pacific.

Are all your cows A2? I just learned the difference between A1 and A2 cows two days ago. Does A2 sell? Do people know about it? The fact that NZ produces 30% of the world's dairy is mind-blowing. Especially to this Wisconsin girl. We used to think we were America's dairyland at least, but no, that is not even true anymore.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Lost 1.1 kg last week, so something is going right. I read somewhere recently that people often skip the thing that they will do for some "more perfect" thing that they'll quit. I guess right now for me it's 17/7 or 18/6. I'm still aiming for OMAD but I'm okay with this right now.

I like your attitude. OMAD, in my mind is a goal and will work, what your doing could work also. You will have to give it a try and see. If it doesn't work, you may need to shorten the window. Some is always better than nothing!
  • EVP_NZ
    First day OMAD again. What a relief.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Welcome back to OMAD :)
  • EVP_NZ
    I waited until I had done a successful day before posting.

It’s all mental. We’re not used to tolerating the slightest discomfort anymore. It was uncomfortable watching my son chow down at lunch, but ain’t nobody (weighing 84 kg) died from not eating until dinner time.
  • minigrrll
    Welcome back!

I agree about the discomfort. My partner keeps getting mad at me for talking about OMAD to other people (I.e. people who want to lose weight). He says people can’t handle it and I need to sugar coat it and say I just fast for 16 hours to ease people in (what I call “lying”!). Funny how we are all so afraid of being hungry. Though I’m sure it’s a good fear based on our evolutionary past - just not so helpful now in our lands of plenty too much.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member

It’s all mental. We’re not used to tolerating the slightest discomfort anymore. It was uncomfortable watching my son chow down at lunch, but ain’t nobody (weighing 84 kg) died from not eating until dinner time.

You got this!
  • amflautist
    Welcome back. I fully know how it feels to watch. I just go deep inside myself and think about what good things I'm doing to my body. Seems to work.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Welcome back!

I agree about the discomfort. My partner keeps getting mad at me for talking about OMAD to other people (I.e. people who want to lose weight). He says people can’t handle it and I need to sugar coat it and say I just fast for 16 hours to ease people in (what I call “lying”!). Funny how we are all so afraid of being hungry. Though I’m sure it’s a good fear based on our evolutionary past - just not so helpful now in our lands of plenty too much.

I hear where the partner is coming from. And it's true--people don't want truth. They just don't. Sometimes it's easier to just give a general answer like, "Oh, I IF."
  • amflautist
    Welcome back!

I hear where the partner is coming from. And it's true--people don't want truth. They just don't. Sometimes it's easier to just give a general answer like, "Oh, I IF."

I avoid the talk altogether. When I sit with friends, not eating, I just say "I'm not hungry right now." I didn't tell my partner for at least a month that I was fasting for days at a time. It's just easier for me to avoid the appearance of giving advice, and to avoid getting unwanted advice.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member

Your right it is mostly mental. I figure we have to pay some kind of price to get the fat off and a little discomfort is probably what it is going to take. I know each day it is a little struggle for me but I need to do it to get where I want to be. You will get there, just keep at it and don't get discouraged if you have a bad day!
  • EVP_NZ
    I can’t wait until I get into the OMAD habit. Each day is a choice and a bit of a struggle. I know I can do it, but it’s all willpower at this point. I look forward to the weight of inertia (habit) doing the heavy lifting.
  • minigrrll
    I'm definitely at that point where it's just what I do rather than having to rely on willpower to make it through the day. Sometimes the last hour or so before I eat is a bit hard, but no more difficult than waiting to eat when there is a dinner reservation at a certain time. You'll get there!
  • EVP_NZ
    Used Chronometer to track nutrients and calories and I can eat 1500 calories in one meal. Woah.