Thoughts and Feelings

Options
123457»

Replies

• kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I knew this was coming - I start strong, stay vigilant, strongly stand against myself and say no, but over time, that strength ebbs away, and the part of me that wants the sugar, that wants the extra helping, that is just plain hungry, even after I've eaten my calorie limit, chips away at that strength, slowly but surely, and the next thing I know, I'm giving in. Some folks will say "oh, it doesn't hurt to fudge a little; one piece won't hurt you; you can treat yourself once in a while". What they don't understand is I have very little will power, and if I give just a little, that other part of me takes a mile and that little turns into a daily thing and the next thing I know, I'm over my limit by 200 or 300 or more calories, or slipping and intaking more and more added sugar and carbs.

I've got to get back to the mindset I was in back in January when I started all this, but figuring out how to get back up that rocky slope is a challenge!

I'm with you with the lack of will power. I say to myself - go ahead have a little piece of ""whatever", but then, an hour later, I've finished the entire thing and the next day my thought is oh well, you're screwed for this week - wait till next!! I'm trying to get back to that January mindset too cause right now - it's not there!! I think I need to change up my routine and add in something totally new so I bought some vegetable plants over the weekend and planted them on Sunday. I am going to try to go out every morning before work and make sure the weeds haven't overtaken the garden. With that, I'm going to start finding healthy recipes for them. If I get my mind on that, maybe it will help to curb the naughty side of me that has been taking over.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    *sigh* my thoughts and feelings are still pretty bleak lately. Instead of focusing on what ground I have gained and how far I've come, I seem to only see the long road ahead, and the recent slow down in weight loss has me fearing that I'm going to stall and lose ground.

So what do you do when you start feeling down? I do like a lot of others do in the new digital war - I went and put most of my thoughts into a large blog post! lol

Hey, that's better than clogging this group's forum page like I usually do! :smiley:

And no matter how I feel, I still have some strength in me to keep slogging along, one foot forward at a time. As long as I'm move forward, I'm gaining ground, right? No matter how long it takes!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I responded in the blog post with the two things I do to try to counteract those feelings, though it's hardly anything new or groundbreaking.

I do think it's important to remember that the closer one is to their goal weight, the slower and/or more difficult the weight loss goes. So a slowdown is probable, but it is also a sign of progress.

For me, the weight loss started strong, easy, and quick. It has started to slow down now that I'm over 50 pounds in, and that is to be expected. I'm not putting more effort in, so it's slowing down. In order to maintain the loss rate I was at, I would have to work harder. The trick is to choose. Do I want to work even harder at losing weight, or am I okay with it slowing some?

The real truth is neither, but I'll probably end up somewhere between the two. As usual, moderation and compromise are likely the solution.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    After losing ~45 lbs in 20 weeks, I fell off the wagon for 6 wks. It will be interesting to see how well I get back on track after losing that initial momentum which bordered on fanaticism.

Putting a positive spin on it, I was pleased I naturally didn't gain any weight when I stopped logging my food or using the scale.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I responded in the blog post with the two things I do to try to counteract those feelings, though it's hardly anything new or groundbreaking.

I do think it's important to remember that the closer one is to their goal weight, the slower and/or more difficult the weight loss goes. So a slowdown is probable, but it is also a sign of progress.

For me, the weight loss started strong, easy, and quick. It has started to slow down now that I'm over 50 pounds in, and that is to be expected. I'm not putting more effort in, so it's slowing down. In order to maintain the loss rate I was at, I would have to work harder. The trick is to choose. Do I want to work even harder at losing weight, or am I okay with it slowing some?

The real truth is neither, but I'll probably end up somewhere between the two. As usual, moderation and compromise are likely the solution.

Thank you very much, Wind! I know a slow-down was inevitable; I just was hoping it wouldn't be quite so soon and that I'd at least get back below 300 lbs again before it happened. *sigh* but I am older than I was before, so I suppose I was expecting too much. I'm not giving up, though!

Theo166 wrote: »
    After losing ~45 lbs in 20 weeks, I fell off the wagon for 6 wks. It will be interesting to see how well I get back on track after losing that initial momentum which bordered on fanaticism.

Putting a positive spin on it, I was pleased I naturally didn't gain any weight when I stopped logging my food or using the scale.

Hey, not gaining after being off 6 weeks is a victory by itself! Best of luck getting back in that wagon seat!
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I will be away from MFP for a while. I am bringing my 93 yr old mother home from the hospital tomorrow. She is now in God's hands and will be under Hospice care. If you are so inclined, your prayers for a peaceful passing would be appreciated. All bets are off during this time as far as my diet is concerned - I am definitely a stress eater!!! I will check back in August. Keep up the good work everyone.
  • Nerdbear88
    Nerdbear88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound bass ackwards but my husband is a chubby chaser. When we met I was about 310 lbs. And that was small for him but I won him over with my personality. Over the years I got up over 400 lbs. Now that I'm 220 lbs the love is still there but the attraction is completely gone for him. In fact people that know him and see me know are like "this is your husband?" LOL
  • Tatyanakuster
    Tatyanakuster Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My hubby had surgery and we have to drive to LA once a week which ends up being a 2 to 3 day trip because it is far away. Ive been lazy about cooking and logging. I want to get back on the motivated train! These trips aren't going to stop anytime soon so I gotta get over it and get back to good choices ALL THE TIME!
  • Nerdbear88
    Nerdbear88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It was two years ago today that I had my second bout of cellulitis and was admitted again to the hospital. It was after this that I decided it was high time for me to make some changes and lead a healthier life. Soon after this I got an Apple Watch as an early Christmas and birthday gift and changed my diet. Now two years later I've lost 180 lbs, off of high blood pressure medication, lowered the pressure on my CPAP, ran a half marathon and have not had to visit the hospital again. Please don't let death or serious illness be the impetus for change. Make the change sooner rather than later. Your body, family, friends, and wallet will thank you!
  • bmeadows380
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've been in a better place the last week, which was much needed - I know you guys had to be tired of my constant depressing whining! lol

But looking back over my record, I realized that what I thought was a plateau and a slow down isn't that really at all - it's my body catching up on itself. I've been logging in here at MFP for 193 days. That is 27 1/2 weeks. In that time, I've lost 71.6 lbs. Divide 71.6 by 27.5, and I realize I've actually been losing at a rate of 2 1/2 lbs a week!

In other words, I need to quit focusing on the tree in front of me and step back and look at the forest. In fact, I'd almost worry that I'm loosing a little too fast, but I think I'm just going to leave things where they are because I know that my body will catch up with itself - indeed, that's probably why I've been seeing things slowing down. I was morbidly obese at 375 lbs to start with, and since my doctor hasn't shown any worries about the rate I'm at, I'm not going to worry about it either - I just need to accept that it's unreasonable to expect myself to maintain that rate as I go along.

so I'm going to keep my calorie limit where it's at, and I'm going to quit stressing when I go over the limit because I've obviously got a very good cushion there lol