Post your Keto dinner pics!

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    I don't tend to eat much in the way of dinner, but here is a lunch pic: ppkfdbc5d83r.jpg
    Chia pudding with raspberries and walnuts

This is my lunch today, but with blackberries.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Y'all need to start posting interior photos if you're gonna post a steak.

I was going for medium and ended up between medium and medium well. I tried something new by just searing the outside on the stove and then putting it in the oven for the rest. It worked well. I just need a little more practice to get the timing right. I will try to post an interior pic next time, but no promises. Usually, by the time I start cutting, I am eating it. Pausing to take a pic is not easy when it tastes that good!
    Do it in the opposite order. If you bring the steak up to temperature slowly in the oven it will dry the exterior a bit and you'll get a better sear when you finish on the stove. Just be sure to rest for several minutes in between oven and pan so that you don't get that over-cooked grey band.

A digital instant read thermometer, Thermopop (about $25) for instance, goes a long way toward nailing your desired doneness, but even a simple $10 version that you can pick up at the grocery store will help a ton, even if it's off a couple of degrees. For the small investment of roughly the price of a couple of choice steaks or one prime steak you can ensure your ability to cook amazing steaks from then on. Well worth it, imo.

Interesting. I have never heard of it being done in that order. I know several people who have worked in steak houses that have suggested finishing in the oven. I may give this a try. I like to experiment.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member

I was going for medium and ended up between medium and medium well. I tried something new by just searing the outside on the stove and then putting it in the oven for the rest. It worked well. I just need a little more practice to get the timing right. I will try to post an interior pic next time, but no promises. Usually, by the time I start cutting, I am eating it. Pausing to take a pic is not easy when it tastes that good!
    Do it in the opposite order. If you bring the steak up to temperature slowly in the oven it will dry the exterior a bit and you'll get a better sear when you finish on the stove. Just be sure to rest for several minutes in between oven and pan so that you don't get that over-cooked grey band.

A digital instant read thermometer, Thermopop (about $25) for instance, goes a long way toward nailing your desired doneness, but even a simple $10 version that you can pick up at the grocery store will help a ton, even if it's off a couple of degrees. For the small investment of roughly the price of a couple of choice steaks or one prime steak you can ensure your ability to cook amazing steaks from then on. Well worth it, imo.

Interesting. I have never heard of it being done in that order. I know several people who have worked in steak houses that have suggested finishing in the oven. I may give this a try. I like to experiment.

I have actually also been having great luck broiling in the oven if you have an oven that has the broil feature. You turn it on High Broil, turn the steaks a couple of times. They cook pretty quickly and are the closest thing to grilled that I have found!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member

I have cooked them both ways. If you sear first on top of the stove, then put in the oven at 250F to finish, that is my fav way to do a good steak, worth the extra wait time. The warmer oven, over 300F cooking temp, then searing on stovetop, is also a good way to do a good steak. Did we mention for either method, get that steak as dry as possible before starting.

And I also say use a Thermopop. Can't believe I lived and cooked so long without one. You deserve it so just get one. You will not regret it.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    carlsoda wrote: »
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    Ack! I goofed on my last post. I added 1/2 cup of COCONUT FLOUR!!! And you let the crust COOL completely...

Awesome I will try this! I was reading the reviews, did you cut back on the butter. Comments were it was too oily. Did you see the suggestion to sub the sugar sub with a packet of sugar free jello? Sounds fun!

Adding 1/2 cup of coconut flour fixed that. I used the 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup each of coconut and almond flour, and 1 tsp almond extract. For the cheesecake filling, I used 1/2 of Swerve and I kid you not it tastes just like sugar was used! Go buy some Swerve, it will change your baking life!!!
  • cacolorado
    cacolorado Posts: 8 Member
    The chia pudding is good for Omega 3s
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    @laurenj915 there's great recipe links in the stickies at the top of the Low Carber Daily Forum page 1 ;)
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    ousnxyln6yvn.jpg

Not my lowest carb (hard to feed the family when I'm the only real low-carber) but only 12 grams total (8 net), so not terrible.

Greek chicken; avocado salad with tomato, onion and olive oil dressing; cucumber salad with sour cream/Greek yogurt dressing; mixed veggies in marinara.
  • laurenj915
    laurenj915 Posts: 38 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @laurenj915 there's great recipe links in the stickies at the top of the Low Carber Daily Forum page 1 ;)

Thank you! I have so many ideas for the week now! :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    That cucumber salad looks tasty. I think I upped my carbs just in time for summer vegetables. :)
  • EryOaker
    laurenj915 wrote: »
    Omg! You guy posted all these amazing pictures and no recipes. I am on my first week of keto and i am eating bunless bugers and a ton of eggs. Please link recipes

Girl, all you have to do is ask!!! Quote the pics you like and ask for recipes!!!
  • laurenj915
    laurenj915 Posts: 38 Member
    sknjate9ya13.jpg

Pulled pork & ranch cole slaw, in red cabbage leaves. With cucumber and pickles (not pictured).

Does the pulled pork have spices on it? Do you have a recipe for the slaw or is it cabbage and ranch dressing? It looks so good!
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    That cucumber salad looks tasty. I think I upped my carbs just in time for summer vegetables. :)

It's one of my summer favorites, and I can make it in the AM, throw it in the fridge and it's perfect for lunch or dinner :)

• EryOaker
    laurenj915 wrote: »
    sknjate9ya13.jpg

Pulled pork & ranch cole slaw, in red cabbage leaves. With cucumber and pickles (not pictured).

Does the pulled pork have spices on it? Do you have a recipe for the slaw or is it cabbage and ranch dressing? It looks so good!

Yes. My DH has the recipe, I'll post it later when I get home. He smokes it on his big green egg but I'm sure you could do it in a crockpot and add some liquid smoke or just used smoked paprika instead of normal paprika. For the slaw I just sliced up some cabbage and red onion and mixed in some ranch dressing!
    I will try to post the recipe before the weekend is over.
  • smithette38
    smithette38 Posts: 1 Member
    Just an FYI, Philadelphia brand makes a cheesecake filling sold in tubs. I just bought one at Walmart. Just scoop out what you need...no cooking or preparing anymore lol.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited April 2017
    My lunch wasn't fancy today, but it was pretty and I haven't posted anything, so...

Just a chicken salad with bacon and that Chosen Foods Avocado Mayo (this mayo is about the most delicious *kitten* I've ever put into my face-hole) .....

You haven't tasted mine yet.... I caught my H grabbing a tablespoon of mine straight from the jar... He felt guilty, until I told him there was no problem. So he took another spoonful.... :D

ETA (With a clean spoon, I might add...! The quickest death sentence for any food-in-a-jar is to 'double-dip'...!)