Post your Keto dinner pics!

Options

Replies

• Phanny24
    Phanny24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I didn't take a pic but I made these porkchops in the slow cooker the other night and it was AMAZING

http://ketosizeme.com/keto-lime-pork-chops/
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    kmca1803 wrote: »
    I'm learning how to prepare my own sashimi as I love it so much. My agedashi tofu in dashi broth is also pretty good!

h3ahnpz70zlj.jpg

Recipe please? I am a sushi addict and would love to try this!!! Thanks!

I'm glad you liked my efforts!

I'm fortunate enough to have access to very fresh salmon and tuna, which I learned to slice correctly from a Japanese cooking web site. I had to get my knives sharpened first though! I just used commercial pickled ginger that had no sweetener, a dab of wasabi and the sauce is just gluten-free soy (I'm coeliac so that works well for me.) Delicious fresh uncomplicated ingredients, with firm fresh fish that is not too dry gives me the most satisfaction when eating Japanese food!

The agadashi tofu is a block that has been cut in 8 bits, drained in a colander with some paper towels and a weight (like a plate) on it to try to get as much fluid out as possible. This is so the Tbsp or so of potato starch that I then use to coat the little cubes sticks. Fry in an inch of oil (whatever you've got - I've used peanut, or even tallow once) for a few minutes turning once very carefully (they stick together). The coating sorts of bubbles and puffs up a little, but doesn't really brown. You are just really frying the coating and creating a shell for the tofu, not frying the tofu itself. Drain to get rid of the residual oil. The broth is 2 cups water, a sachet of Shimaya brand Dashino-Moto which is a bonito seasoning, 2Tbsp of soy and an optional Tbsp of mirin (my mirin has a lot of glucose in it so I tend to leave it out as I like the taste without) mixed together with a little minced ginger in a saucepan till hot. Assemble as pictured and enjoy!

This recipe is not as low carb as I usually do because of the potato starch and the dashi broth, but the carbs are really still quite neglible. Take the agedashi tofu recipe away from the meal and I can't think of a more keto level WOE than just fresh sashimi! I eat this once or twice a week, and its become really quick and easy to prepare with a bit of practice. Still losing weight (which is my goal) and really enjoying the food!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post, @kmca1803, great to meet a fellow Japanese Cuisine enthusiast!
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm interested in learning to make my own miso as you mentioned that you do, but just haven't been able to make the time to do it yet. Do you have a recipe or website that you learned from?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kmca1803 wrote: »
    Thank you! I'm interested in learning to make my own miso as you mentioned that you do, but just haven't been able to make the time to do it yet. Do you have a recipe or website that you learned from?

Absolutely, and to my surprise, finding the right ingredients proved a lot easier than I thought!
    However, the greatest skill you'll need - is patience! My Miso took about a year to mature properly, but please believe me - it was worth the wait!

This is the video I used, and I merely halved he ingredients. 2kg was a bit much, even for me. It's a bit labour-intensive, but a lot of fun. I used a pressure cooker, and cooked my soy beans in 3 batches... And I followed this video's method to the letter, including the bit when he throws the miso into the maturing pot.

I also found this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTq5QbOGFME

However, I do prefer doing my Miso the traditional way: By hand. And I used rock salt on the surface.
    It's really important to make sure the miso is pressed down really well, to eliminate ANY air pockets, and that the whole outer rim is well covered in salt, all the way round. This prevents any harmful bacteria seeping/creeping in at the edge, and growing white mould. Even if this happens, you can 'rescue' the miso, but prevention is better than cure. (Don't be concerned that the 'extra salt' will be a problem. Trust me, it really isn't.)
    Scrupulously clean container, utensil and hands, does much to stop mould growing - that, and judicious sprinkling of salt, and covering with clingfilm really well to keep the air out.

Don't be afraid to check your Miso, but try to not touch or disturb the surface, unless absolutely necessary.

Here's the added bonus:
    What neither video mentions, is the juice that develops. That's 'Tamari'. And once you see it developing on the top of your Miso paste, you know you're well on the way to something wonderful. The Tamari can be drained off gradually, and used as a seasoning (it's thick, rich, dark and really good!) or mixed back into your Miso, depending on how much develops.

The longer you leave it, the darker and richer it gets.

I want to post the pictures I took during my process, but they're on my phone, and it's packing up, so I'm not sure I can rescue them.... :(
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    **UPDATE** I found my pics!! Will open a new thread so as not to veer this one off-topic, @kmca1803!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    This is on the higher end of net carbs... 16.... but it was dammmmmn good! n72zsbmaqj8l.jpg

Is that chicken parmigiana? How'd you make it?
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    This is on the higher end of net carbs... 16.... but it was dammmmmn good! n72zsbmaqj8l.jpg

Is that chicken parmigiana? How'd you make it?

You use almond flour instead of bread crumbs! I used eggs and a splash of cream scrambled up to coat the chicken then dreadged it in almond flour season with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, oregano, and paprika. I do this twice to each cutlet to make of a thick coating. Then I fried it up. Put it in the over with a coating of cheese under the broiler for that restaurant look/feel. Serve with zoodles or spaghetti squash and some spinach salad. Yum!
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I can't post pictures from the app but...

I had chicken in a balsamic vinaigrette, garlic, and basil sauce with provolone melted on top. My oh my...it's so good! Took less than 10 minutes to make too
  • EryOaker
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/239793/keto-cheesecake-cupcakes/

Here is the recipe i found. I added 1/2 cup almond flour and 1 tsp almond extract to the crust as suggested in the comments. I also used 1/2 cup Swerve sweetener (doesn't taste like chemical mess) instead of the 3/4 cup stevia granulated sweetener.

Make sure you bake the crust for 5-6 min at 350, let it cook completely before adding the cheesecake mixture on top.

Here is the recipe you asked for @MariahMichaels
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Here is the recipe i found. I added 1/2 cup almond flour and 1 tsp almond extract to the crust as suggested in the comments. I also used 1/2 cup Swerve sweetener (doesn't taste like chemical mess) instead of the 3/4 cup stevia granulated sweetener.

Make sure you bake the crust for 5-6 min at 350, let it cook completely before adding the cheesecake mixture on top.

So it's 1 cup of almond flour instead of 1/2 cup of almond meal?

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    sj3gnnvet4pi.jpg
    Steak topped with duck liver mousse and keto cole slaw
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    OMG!! ^^THAT^^ looks sooooooo good!!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OMG!! ^^THAT^^ looks sooooooo good!!!

It sure was. Going to add it to our foods rotation.
  • EryOaker
    Options

So it's 1 cup of almond flour instead of 1/2 cup of almond meal?

Sorry! I just realized my mistake! I make my crust with almond flour (or meal, it's your choice) but then I add coconut flour too! I also add coconut flour when using almond flour in sweets. My rule is "half the amount of almond".. so if you use half cup of almond flour, add 1/4 cup of coconut flour. I also add flavor to my crust, like almond or vanilla extract.
  • physio52
    physio52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No photo as I don't like to do that in a restaurant. Lunch out with daughter and daughter in law and friends who had done a 10 k in Wimbledon.
    Hake, brocolli, samphire and salsify with side salad . Followed by shared cheese board with my OH, he had the crackers and cheese I had cheese and half a dozen grapes!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    physio52 wrote: »
    No photo as I don't like to do that in a restaurant.

I'm very glad to hear it! Thank you for your consideration - I used to work in a Bistro/Deli (In the UK) as Manager;

THIS - was a truly modern nightmare.

Others, please take note!