New members

Options

Replies

• Linnell63
    Linnell63 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm back on MFP after a bit of an absence. My partner of 30 years died in July and I am starting to make some changes to life on my own. MFP is part of those changes. I also have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type III which is a genetic connective tissue disorder that causes chronic pain, joint laxity and skeletal instability so good lifestyle choices are key. My new doctor has suggested that I make some small changes which over time can lead to a healthier lifestyle. One of these changes is to eat an more anti-inflammatory diet like the Mediterranean Diet. Does anyone have any experience with that??? Looking forward to getting to know you and the group. Hoping that it is an active one.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here's Dr. Weil's version of an ant-inflammatory diet.https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/anti-inflammatory-diet-pyramid/dr-weils-anti-inflammatory-food-pyramid/
    A shorter version of thinking about eating an anti-dietary diet is to plan to cook more at home.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Linnell63 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm back on MFP after a bit of an absence. My partner of 30 years died in July and I am starting to make some changes to life on my own. MFP is part of those changes. I also have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome type III which is a genetic connective tissue disorder that causes chronic pain, joint laxity and skeletal instability so good lifestyle choices are key. My new doctor has suggested that I make some small changes which over time can lead to a healthier lifestyle. One of these changes is to eat an more anti-inflammatory diet like the Mediterranean Diet. Does anyone have any experience with that??? Looking forward to getting to know you and the group. Hoping that it is an active one.

Welcome to our group. Very sorry to hear you lost your partner, I do pleaed you found our group, you will find that we have a wonderful group of people who genuinely care about each other. I can see the lovely Rodarose has sent a link about anti inflammatory diet. We look forward to getting to know you too.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    pampeddy wrote: »
    I am a 57 yr old woman who is ready to get healthy. My highest weight was just over 300 and I have lost about 40 pounds. Just looking for encouragement and people who have been there.

Welcome aboard
    Congratulations on your 40 pound weight loss 👏 super result
    You have encouraged us for sure
    We look forward to watching your progress & learning from you x
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,293 Member
    Options
    Hi Rene,

So glad you could join us. Let's get rid of those last five pounds together!
  • Just_Juju
    Just_Juju Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm Juju and 53. I need to lose 45-50 pounds says my doctor. I introduced myself in a couple other Newbie to MFP threads so I'll keep this brief here. I'm from Chicago suburbs, married and three kids, youngest a junior in high school, middle one in college, and oldest dropped out of college in 2016 after freshman year and has been estranged from us ever since . Very heartbreaking as it's my baby girl and I miss her so much. It was a partial caused of my weight gain. But it's been three years now and becomes less painful each year. Now that I am finally out of the "depression" woods and able to take care of myself once again, I can focus on my health.

Been using MFP almost two weeks now. Primarily iPhone app and synced with my Fitbit. First week took long hours every day to log food as tediously as I have to, so after reading a post above I'm glad I'm not the only one and this is what it takes at first. This week is going a bit faster but I still need to google some foods first. Because it is critical that I be exact about each nutrient, I can't always just trust the database entries. I've even caught a few with green checks that had one or two inaccurate.

I'm having my first "official" fall off the wagon today. I've been really sick past two days with a virus and feel horrible. So my son went to Panera to buy some soup. Yum!! But that's gonna kill my numbers today. :p I'm not a chicken noodle kind of gal, but the Autumn Squash Soup sort. LOL

Ah well.

Just saw a link to this group in another 50's group so came right over. Nice to meet all of you!!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Just_Juju wrote: »
    Nice to meet all of you!!

Welcome aboard!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Rene and Juju! Great community here at MFP with lots of support and encouragement.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Welcome new people
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Welcome Rene & Juju
    Thanks for your introductions
    You definitely found the right group
    Feel free to post & contribute to our discussions.
    We look forward to getting to know you both better x
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Linnell63 wrote: »

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband.

To answer your question, my wife suffers from Fibro. She developed it around five years ago. Told me one day she just wanted to die with all the pain. At that time, the traditional docs recommended Opioids. I said no way in hell.

Long story, I do technical search for highly technical companies. I used my research abilities and sought out solutions. Like a trooper, she hung in there while suffering immensely. We made many changes and eventually locked onto more of a plant based, Mediterranean Diet.

That and going gluten free, dairy free made a huge difference for her. She's nearly back to 100%. Plus, I did the same with her for support. We both feel amazing.

• juanwilly
    juanwilly Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have I joined now? Nearly 8th decade here and going strong!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard, @haysrc1 and @juanwilly!!
  • NaughtyBratEdith
    NaughtyBratEdith Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    earth-water.jpg

This is sooo me!!! 😄
  • delaneysmom46
    delaneysmom46 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am 57 and want to get healthy. I want to lose about 30 pounds which to me seems nearly impossible. I was on WW a couple years ago and lost about 20 pounds but have gained 15 of it back. I have decided to try MFP and see if I can stay motivated. I am looking for support and guidance from those of you with similar situations to mine. I am the mom to a beautiful 16 year old daughter, a 3 year old chocolate lab and a 10 year old kitty. My daughter and her activities keeps me pretty busy but she will be getting her license soon and then I should have a little more "me" time. I have read so many success stories on MFP and hope to be one of those stores some day in the future.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,293 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our litle family @delaneysmom46! Thanks for joining us on our journeys.