New members

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hi y’all I’m Nora. I’m 56. I need to lose about 100. Current weight is 275. What motivated me to start is feeling knee pain when I walk. Im graduating from college next year and I want to look good in my pictures and when I interview for a job. I’m taking high blood pressure meds and am pre diabetic. I hope to get support and some good healthy eating tips.

Welcome, Nora! Weight loss has made a huge reduction in knee pain for me, and reduced my blood pressure from borderline/high down to normal/low normal. I think you're onto a good thing here - best wishes!

WeIcome, Nora. Lots of help and encouragement here for you. I started this weight loss journey because I wasn't able to continue blood donations due to high blood pressure. The doctor prescribed some meds, but to his credit, he also told me, "You won't need these pills if you lose some weight." Just like @AnnPT77, I have reduced my blood pressure and no longer need the meds. Back to donating platelets on a regular schedule, too.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hi y’all I’m Nora. I’m 56. I need to lose about 100. Current weight is 275. What motivated me to start is feeling knee pain when I walk. Im graduating from college next year and I want to look good in my pictures and when I interview for a job. I’m taking high blood pressure meds and am pre diabetic. I hope to get support and some good healthy eating tips.

Welcome, Nora! Weight loss has made a huge reduction in knee pain for me, and reduced my blood pressure from borderline/high down to normal/low normal. I think you're onto a good thing here - best wishes!

WeIcome, Nora. Lots of help and encouragement here for you. I started this weight loss journey because I wasn't able to continue blood donations due to high blood pressure. The doctor prescribed some meds, but to his credit, he also told me, "You won't need these pills if you lose some weight." Just like @AnnPT77, I have reduced my blood pressure and no longer need the meds. Back to donating platelets on a regular schedule, too.

I miss donating. I had over 100 whole blood donations, then you have one little heart attack and they kick you out. Ingrates.
  • norasuntich
    norasuntich Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all. I think losing weight is hard when you are used to overeating and living to eat. But I know it’s what I want to do. Getting off the meds would be a huge win. Kudos for donating blood!
  • pattiekac45
    pattiekac45 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hello what kind of diet plan do ya'll follow. knowing what to eat and how much and how often is a struggle for me. also having enough energy / time to exercise. need some advice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    hello what kind of diet plan do ya'll follow. knowing what to eat and how much and how often is a struggle for me. also having enough energy / time to exercise. need some advice.

You may be looking for something more structured, but on the eating front, this is pretty much what worked for me, with some mistakes and false starts left out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Exercise-wise, I think the magic is in finding some thing(s) you truly enjoy doing that involve moving more - things that are so much fun you'd do them even if they weren't good for you ;) . It doesn't have to be formal, official exercise, just more movement.

When I first started becoming more active, I tried out lots of different things, and increased frequency/intensity gradually. As I found things I enjoyed, I became more motivated to do other things to make me stronger and fitter for pursuing those enjoyable things . . . sort of a virtuous cycle of increasing activity.

Best wishes!
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options

Had many of the same issues.

When I retired after 31 years working in a drinking water quality laboratory, I took a manual labor job in lawn maintenance with my best friend. That solved the exercise issue.

As fas as how much, I wear an activity tracker linked to MFP. This gives me an idea of how much I can eat. I also weigh every day and track a trend of the weight. Once a month I compare actual weight loss with my expected weight loss based on calorie deficit. I then make small adjustments in my daily calorie budget. It's not perfect (and sounds more complicated than it is in practice), but it seems to be working for me now.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hmm, this week I'm trying to exercise everyday. Already done Sunday and Monday on the treadmill.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm over 50 (will be 54 this year). I'm newer to MFP but not to losing, tracking calories. I was 250, roughly, at my biggest and 170 after losing weight in a little over a year. That was around 6 years ago. I've maintained since, more or less. I like the community part of weight loss. I like to try to help others that went through it and let them know that they can do it too.

I'm likely in the best shape of my life. I'm always interested in learning new things and I'm also very open minded to change and saying I'm wrong (I've been that a lot). I take a very active interest in Chronic pain conditions (my wife has recovered from Fibromyalgia by a total change in diet, lifestyle and supplements only, no meds). I'm also very interested in the Human Microbiome Project. I find it fascinating. So much so that I'm a technical recruiter that consults with start-up companies that are disruptive, technical based companies and I'm working to establish a new desk specialty working with microbiome therapeutics start-ups -- there is a ton of established big pharma money being poured into it! Even the pharmaceutical companies have realized that old treatments need new ideas. While genetic engineering and drug advances (along with AI/Machine learning) have helped advancements rapidly, they are also finding by changing/modulating your microbiome, those traditional treatments work much more effectively.

Currently, not tracking calories. I workout 6 to 7 hours a week and tracked calories for nearly five years. My relationship with food has changed so dramatically that I hover around 188 all the time (and around 18% body fat down from over 40% body fat years ago). I could probably stand to lose 4 or 5 pounds but I'm not that concerned with it. I have a "red line" that if I cross, I start tracking again. Haven't had to do that in four years.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited August 2018
    Options

Everyone is different but my wife (who is 57) overcame Fibromyalgia and a very, very tough menopause. Changed her diet, eliminated certain things in both environment and stress and added in yoga and Tai Chi. She lost 25 pounds and now is doing some harder videos and an "Assault Bike" 2/3 times a week. She went from nearly bed bound to very active and she's back to work too. That's her in the picture with me from last year. She also looks amazingly healthy.

Changes happen gradually (sometimes very gradually) with gradual steps toward better eating and just moving more.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    joyoakey wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a master's track and field athlete, recently injured for a second time (piriformis and hamstring). I'm 69 yo woman. I don't have weight issues, but looking for recommended nutrition (nothing off the wall) and getting back to pre-injury conditioning without re-injuring a chronic issue with piriformis. After a month of phys tx, I can jog 2 miles and do some hamstring and piriformis stretches and can ride bike. I tend to run slow and steady, but can ride the stationary bike doing intervals without straining my hamstring. Appreciate other suggestions.

My wife had that really bad for a couple of years too. Lateral movement helps a lot with that - like a slideboard. We ended up getting surgery for her reluctantly. That can be painful. There's a guy in Belgium that is wonderful for that (and much more experienced and cheaper than anyone in that US if it's Piriformis Syndrome).
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike. Our weight change numbers and exercise commitment are close to identical. I went from 240 to 168, and workout a couple hours a day, walking or a run usually. Being 62 and semi-retired helps. Your work focus is very interesting. New approaches to health and disease interest me a lot. I’m in the best shape of my life after having someone else’s heart attack 4.5 years ago.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Hi Farback! Well, that work focus (right now) is just that, a focus. Takes a while to establish a presence in an area that you've not worked before as a recruiter. I dominate one industry space in high-rise commercial construction but the microbiome therapeutics interests me way more. My "bread and butter" is working with companies that put facades on high-rises. I'm currently working with the guys that did the Apple facade and the new World Trade Center.

I've switched desk specialties a few times before so I know it can be done, I just have to be patient and consistent, a lot like getting healthier!

Good for you on your changes! I'll likely be working another 15 years! I switched careers midlife. Being in the best shape of your life after a heart attack is an amazing accomplishment. That's awesome.
  • FatCrankyGoat
    FatCrankyGoat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    51 y/o mountain hiker and outdoor adventurer; gained weight over past ten years and now my knees are feeling it - time to lose the weight and focus on fitness. Feel free to add me, looking for serious motivation... I’m into intermittent fasting; Sworkit; mountain hiking and ConceptII rowing; Starting on a whole foods focused diet.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    51 y/o mountain hiker and outdoor adventurer; gained weight over past ten years and now my knees are feeling it - time to lose the weight and focus on fitness. Feel free to add me, looking for serious motivation... I’m into intermittent fasting; Sworkit; mountain hiking and ConceptII rowing; Starting on a whole foods focused diet.

Welcome to the group. Not sure how much motivation I would be, but you seem to be quite the active sort.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options

I love the C2. I've been rowing now for going on five years. I'm very active over on the C2 forums and the "Pete Plan" thread over there as well. I struggled learning to row and now help other beginners and enjoy doing it. Not familiar with Sworkit though.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hey there! I have been missing the camaraderie of the groups (I left one I really liked because folks just couldnt help being political when it was part of the policy NOT to post anything political) :/ and happened to browse to this one, only to find I apparently already joined months ago! I know i have a poor memory, but geeez. Either i forgot I joined or it adds you automatically when you check it out! lol

I scrolled thru all 8 pages of this welcome thread to see if I also posted and forgot :# but apparently I didn't.

Im at a maintenance place now, debating whether or not Ill continue to lose, and if so, how to keep up the muscle.

Real quickly, (edit: or not ha! lost cause) I was at about 220 (who used scales when you knew you were way over what you wanted to be?!) before MFP (2016) and something sort of clicked in me when I had had enough. I got on mfp at 198 and been here ever since, Im at about 138 pounds these days. (5'3", 54 yrs)
    So Im just within normal bmi, but still have some flab and belly from my pregnancies (my oldest is 29!! that belly just never left!) so I could stand to drop that, but not sure if I ever will, since I got down to a reasonably healthy size, even if its not a perfect bikini body. Got to have motivation for that, and my main motivation was getting down to wear reasonable sized cute clothes and not ugly tent-clothes!
    (Dont judge, its not the best motivation, but it worked!)

Learned a lot about losing weight and what's actually required vs what people THINK is required from being here, and learned the stuff I once followed (not this go-round, about 10 years ago) basically being some sort of food nazi, is all a bunch of baloney or as MFP taught me to call it "woo" lol. Now I eat what I like, responsibly of course, and lose weight. :) Im not a macro person and I do tend to eat a lot of goodies (what got me there in the first place) but most of the time I "adult" fairly well and dont try to live on potato chips :smiley:

I can talk a LOT (it shows huh) when I have the time but I often just dont have it, or if I do, everything else I meant to do suffers, even though I stay at home. So its all about balance you know? Not enough hours in the day for everything one wants to do and I like to spend time with social media and playing computer games but have a hubby to cook and clean for and dog who wants to be walked like five times a day and a (large) yard that needs mowing like every 3-4 days when its rainy, and its rainy quite often here in Florida!

So Ive got to run and cook that supper now, but will try to remember(!) to get back and add to some conversations and get to know the regulars and then get under your skin just a bit :D cause that's how I roll! :p

Will be happy to expound on whatever Ive brought up if some inquiring minds want to know, but I know people hate tl;dr's (too late!) :D
  • JustMeandZ
    JustMeandZ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Welcome all new group members
    Feel free to tell us a little about yourselves. Your goals, ambitions, achievements, family etc
    We are all here to support one another

I'm new to this 'group' thing, but hopefully I'll be able to figure it all out, lol
    I'm 54, and did MFP about 6 years ago & lost 70 pounds. Now I'm back, to lose it all 'again' (for good this time!) ....so far I'm down about 6 lbs.
    Its late and I need to get to get some sleep, but I'll check tomorrow and see if this posts comes out someplace, (LOL) & hopefully we can get this group 'busy' :smiley:
    Have a great weekend!
  • JustMeandZ
    Options
    Oh look, my post showed up! LOL Tomorrow I'll read all the others and try to 'catch up' on things! Goodnight!
  • JustMeandZ
    Options
    I read the other posts, and you all seem nice & with a good sense of humor, lol I'd like to stick around, ....just wish we could get this group more 'active' (I like to 'talk') lol
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    JustMeandZ wrote: »
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Welcome all new group members
    Feel free to tell us a little about yourselves. Your goals, ambitions, achievements, family etc
    We are all here to support one another

I'm new to this 'group' thing, but hopefully I'll be able to figure it all out, lol
    I'm 54, and did MFP about 6 years ago & lost 70 pounds. Now I'm back, to lose it all 'again' (for good this time!) ....so far I'm down about 6 lbs.
    Its late and I need to get to get some sleep, but I'll check tomorrow and see if this posts comes out someplace, (LOL) & hopefully we can get this group 'busy' :smiley:
    Have a great weekend!

Welcome to our group