Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard 👍
  • CO_BigNick
    CO_BigNick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Turn the big 50 in May and need to get out of my college football frame and something healthier. Dropped 10 lbs in Feb. Working on my next 10 for a trip to Moab in April, 20 lbs is my stretch goal.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Well done big nick 👍
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Welcome new folks. This is a great group.
  • marykay8675
    marykay8675 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Over 50 Club. I also just stumbled on this group. I'm Mary and just need a bit of support to reach my goal of losing 50 pounds. I live in the great state of Montana and I am trying to figure out what is the best diet to achieve my goal so the last 20 years will be my best.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,900 Member
    Options
    Hi Over 50 Club. I also just stumbled on this group. I'm Mary and just need a bit of support to reach my goal of losing 50 pounds. I live in the great state of Montana and I am trying to figure out what is the best diet to achieve my goal so the last 20 years will be my best.

Welcome aboard!!

Figuring out the best diet is such a personal struggle; each of us are unique. For myself, I sought the advice of a dietitian... I never regretted that choice.

One of their first pieces of advice was to start logging exercise and food. I joined MFP and started doing so.

The other thing that "worked" was weighing/measuring portions as it's way too easy to underestimate how much you're eating.

Finally, getting the balance of carbs, fats & proteins right. I bought into the low fat nonsense and couldn't lose weight. The dietitian recommended pushing more protein & healthy fats.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

At the risk of shameless self promotion, here's one approach to eating you could consider (though it may be less prescriptive or detailed than you'd prefer):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

It's pretty much how I lost around 50 pounds at age 59-60, and have stayed at a healthy weight since (now 63). But I agree with UncleMac that these choices are very individual!

Welcome and best wishes! :)
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Kinda long...

Welcome. I agree it’s finding what works for you.

For me it has always been calories in calories out. “Fad” diets have never worked. I don’t give up anything. I just make it fit in my daily allowance. With that being said I do start to make better choices most days to not be hungry, fuel my body, and feel better.

So, I agree that it really matters on the weighing and measuring everything. It’s amazing how many extra calories you can get here and there if you don’t.

Also I started with small goals to not feel overwhelmed. As long as I’m heading in the right direction I don’t dwell on my failures and move on. And I don’t let one slip turn into a whole day or a whole week or a whole month. You can redirect yourself at any time.

I was here 4-5 years ago and lost 50. It took this long to gain 20+ back. I started January 7th and I’ve lost 20 pounds. I couldn’t do it without MFP, the support of the members, and support from my family and friends. Just one day, one week, one pound at a time.

I set a goal of 30 though I want to lose more, but again I break it down to not get overwhelmed.

Again, welcome, and stick around. You’ll find several groups and friends that are very encouraging.

Good luck.
  • MrsBradyBunch
    MrsBradyBunch Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hello, fairly new here and hoping to make friends.

I'm 54 and married with two grown children. I've felt fat all my life, even long before I actually was overweight. When that happens to a girl, and she really does gain weight later in life, it's hard for her to notice because as far as she's concerned, that's what she looked like all along. I have serious body image problems. I know that I am medically overweight. I simply can't tell to what degree. Obviously I have quite a few challenges to overcome, but I'm setting them up and knocking them down, bit by bit.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone, reconnecting with MFP after putting a few pounds back on - friend me and lets do this!!
  • Farback
    Options
    Welcome to the new folks.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Welcome all newcomers 👏👏
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Its been along time since I posted, primarily due to being a caregiver for my elderly mother since late 2017 which took up 24/7 of my time and sheer exhaustion at the end of the day or middle of night never seemed to allow for enough time to write down what I was eating and unfortunately I've regained some of the weight I'd initially lost. That's depressing but can definitely be overcome.

Dealing with my mothers medical issues was overwhelming at times and as her condition deteriorated it became more depressing and I can admit when you are depressed, you don't necessarily eat healthy foods all the time.

Recently, my mother has been moved to a long term care center where she will remain.

I've regained some freedom to start refocusing on me again however my medical issues haven't gotten better over the past few years either and so everything seems much harder at the moment. My blood pressure and heart are having a real dance these days and they need to slow down.

Realizing I turned 60 last month, I need to put some time and effort back into getting off the regained pounds and then a few more for good measure.

So hopefully, I'll be back on track and working towards my goals.

Cheers!

• Farback
    Options
    Glad to see you back H2H. Sorry to hear of your difficulties.
  • heart2health
    Options
    Thanks. Appreciate that.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Nice to have you back. Xx
  • heart2health
    Options
    Good to be back. Thanks
  • marky1965
    marky1965 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Been here before & come back for a change. Looking to dump another 15 kg and have just completed the Camiño de Santiago in Spain. frances route. 35 days and 960km....it was a magical trek and I would do it all again tomorrow.
    Now looking to build on that and throw in some weight sessions with the cardio and continue doing the keto that I started before the Camiño ( too hard to go keto in Spain) food is tooo good 😳😳😳
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,900 Member
    Options
    marky1965 wrote: »
    Hi
    Been here before & come back for a change. Looking to dump another 15 kg and have just completed the Camiño de Santiago in Spain. frances route. 35 days and 960km....it was a magical trek and I would do it all again tomorrow.
    Now looking to build on that and throw in some weight sessions with the cardio and continue doing the keto that I started before the Camiño ( too hard to go keto in Spain) food is tooo good 😳😳😳

A friend of mine did the Camino a couple of years ago. She said it was amazing.
  • marky1965
    marky1965 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It certainly was 👍👍