New members

Options

Replies

• pannyj
    pannyj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just started back on MFP today. I'm 58 years old and in need of some food and exercise advice. Since 2010 I've had 2 major horse accidents, multiple pelvic fractures, fractured sacrum and 2 years ago broke 4 ribs, lacerated my liver and broke 5 vertebra resulting in a 3-level fusion. Needless to say all that inactivity caused me to gain about 40 lbs.

I'm only 5' tall (lost an inch with the broken back) so that's A LOT OF WEIGHT for me.

Having trouble getting back in the groove. I live on a cattle ranch so am not close to a gym. I used to LOVE to exercise, especial lifting weights. I have a fairly nice set up in my home.
    Mostly just need some food ideas. My husband eats 3 big meals a day and obviously beef is a mainstay. I do work outside the home, so also a problem is that I get home late and we eat late.

Any suggestions???
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    pannyj wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I just started back on MFP today. I'm 58 years old and in need of some food and exercise advice. Since 2010 I've had 2 major horse accidents, multiple pelvic fractures, fractured sacrum and 2 years ago broke 4 ribs, lacerated my liver and broke 5 vertebra resulting in a 3-level fusion. Needless to say all that inactivity caused me to gain about 40 lbs.

I'm only 5' tall (lost an inch with the broken back) so that's A LOT OF WEIGHT for me.

Having trouble getting back in the groove. I live on a cattle ranch so am not close to a gym. I used to LOVE to exercise, especial lifting weights. I have a fairly nice set up in my home.
    Mostly just need some food ideas. My husband eats 3 big meals a day and obviously beef is a mainstay. I do work outside the home, so also a problem is that I get home late and we eat late.

Any suggestions???

Hi Panny. Sorry to hear about your wrecks. That is awful. I think you might want to start a new subject for this as I am sure you will get all kinds of good advice. I would say that since we don't know what restrictions you have for exercise it would be hard to recommend. However, for me (short, 59) I lost about 32 pounds in 4 months. The critical thing was portion control and accurate calorie in logging. I stayed at around 1050 for the whole time without a lot of issues. Ate what I liked but just not a LOT of it. ;) Now I am maintaining at around 1850 cals. Everyone is different. If you want to go more slowly you probably would lose at 1500 too. Just pick your plan on what you are going to eat. Log it. Stick to it.

Best of luck and welcome. Im new here too.

• pannyj
    pannyj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I have no restrictions.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,904 Member
    Options
    @pannyj, weight loss starts and ends in the kitchen. Theoretically, it is possible to overcome diet with exercise but it takes as massive amount of exercise to do so... and when you work out that much, eventually you'll end up getting injured. For most of us, exercise serves to improve our quality of life. There are many exercises you can do at home with a minimum of equipment.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options

I used couch to 5k app to kick start my jogging again. It was a nice 8 week program. But honestly it's watching the cals in which makes the most difference. I feel better from the exercise but it doesnt generate a lot bigger deficit esp when you are small and don't have 100 pounds. The best advice is whatever you do. Don't get injured.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and I agree with Mac and Summerskier. It’s 80% diet control and 20% exercise. The exercise makes a huge difference in how you feel and choose to live your life. Portion control may be your best option with the beef rich diet, and maybe consider intermittent fasting. I’m no expert, but I look good on a firetruck.
  • argos14
    argos14 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Long time MFPer - just saw this group and thought I’d see how others are doing on their fitness journey!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our new members.
    We are so happy to have you.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'm Steve. 63 years young. Started a serious weight loss program in March at 250 lbs. Had lost 45 lbs. On a diet break right now. Am up about 10 lbs. We shall see how much of that is water weight when I go back to calorie restriction in a couple of days. Goal weight is 185-180.

I walk and hike for cardio activity. Lift some heavy things and work out with a group at the gym. Trying to be a good example for those "kids".

Still working and not planning to stop as long as I am physically able to climb ladders and walk on roofs.

I will be back checking in with y'all in this thread. Add me as a friend if you like. I'm on here most days and I like to share support and encouragement.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    We look forward to watching your weight loss journey Steve
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Hi new people! Welcome!
  • 927caryo
    927caryo Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    hi all -- I'm Susan. Been on MFP for quite a few years -- lost weight, gained it back -- you know the drill. Over the past year I have been doing a lot of soul searching to try to find out why I ultimately self sabotage -- what hunger am I trying to feed? Of course there are no clear answers but I have been really looking at some of the forces in my life - my job, my relationships, my self talk. I do need to: be aware of my trigger foods, eat more veggies and protein, drink more water and get some exercise. It's rocket science is it?? Anyway, just wanted to pop in to say hello.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,990 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi y'all!

@BettyM1017 - I'm across the bridge in Tampa. I do a lot of paddleboarding (just got in some miles yesterday at the Getaway before the freeze tonight). Wow, I'm surprised you can do all that you do on only 950...hope you're eating your exercise calories back! I bonked yesterday during my paddle, and I'm sure it was because I was a bit too low on my fuel.

@ScarletBegonias27 - I find for me, it's less about trigger foods and more about situations. I love to gnosh while sitting at the computer, and I sit at the computer a lot. I've tried to switch things over from chips and candy to veggies and light dip. Same habit, but a bit healthier. I like to have a glass of wine/mixed drink in the evening, so during dry Jan I have a cup of hot tea or a glass of zero calorie flavored seltzer water. Sometimes it helps to have substitutions to make it easier.
  • 927caryo
    927caryo Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks @b3achy - I LOVE seltzer too. Lucky you - my biggest barrier to exercise (besides laziness) is the COLD weather here in Connecticut. YUK. Have a great day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi, @BettyM1017, @ScarlettBegonia, @alteredstates175, @rgec58 @argos14
    Good to see you. Wishing you much wellness as well as lots of happy vibes. <3
  • BBee5064
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Hi, @BettyM1017, @ScarlettBegonia, @alteredstates175, @rgec58 @argos14
    Good to see you. Wishing you much wellness as well as lots of happy vibes. <3

I also share the same sentiments of RodaRose
    Welcome to our group x
  • BetterInTheFall
    BetterInTheFall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am Mike and I am 52. I am not new to weight loss nor MFP. I started in 2014, lost 60 pounds, kept it off for 2 years and have slowly gained 40 back. Honestly, I was easy the first time, but I’ve been trying to get my head back in the game for several months now and it is a real struggle. The mental side of weight loss is tough. I know at some point it will click again and until then I will do the best I can each day. I hope to be able to contribute at some point.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    Good morning everyone! I'm 51 and living in St. Pete, Florida. I think I'm around day 950 on MFP. I've lost over 40 pounds, which puts me at 5'6" and 144 lbs. I'd love to drop below the 140 mark, but I haven't seen that number since high school!

Workouts consist of mostly Beachbody programs, Camp Gladiator, running, kayaking, and rock climbing.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's fitness and nutrition ideas. The fresh input is so motivating!

Here's to an amazing 2018!
    b3achy wrote: »
    Hi y'all!

@BettyM1017 - I'm across the bridge in Tampa. I do a lot of paddleboarding (just got in some miles yesterday at the Getaway before the freeze tonight). Wow, I'm surprised you can do all that you do on only 950...hope you're eating your exercise calories back! I bonked yesterday during my paddle, and I'm sure it was because I was a bit too low on my fuel.

Hi Y'all - I'm in Lake Wales - a couple hours down Rt 60 - Eastcoast Jim