New members

Replies

• Gregunder
    Gregunder Posts: 1 Member
    Over 50 and just started my actual first ever diet plan.
    I was/am the guy that used lines like, " I eat the calories my wife doesn't want !"
    On the last trip to the Doc was told elevated blood levels, need to diet & exercise and also on blood pressure medication.
    Something has to change.... guess that would be me right ?
    We are planning a wedding in September and would like to be our better selves.
    My wife tried weight watchers and the fitbit but commitment is failing.
    This seemed like a better alternative...
    The motivation is the stories of like minded people and are inspirational.
    Actually put down everything I eat in a day on my first try and it really makes it clear why the weight gain.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,063 Member
    Welcome to the group. Many of us here learn the hard way we can’t pack it away like we used to. Slowed metabolisms take a lot of adjusting to.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Hi, @Gregunder
    Logging the food can be eye-opening indeed. :)
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Hi, @Gregunder
    Logging the food can be eye-opening indeed. :)

Amen, @RodaRose. I didn't get any sustained weight loss until I started logging my food everyday.

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Welcome to the group
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Hi all ~ my name is Tony and I would guess that I'm the middle aged over weight guy who is ready to take control of his health.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Welcome!
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Thank-you.
  • Ron_in_NC
    Ron_in_NC Posts: 368 Member
    Hey folks. I guess I'm new, but I've been in MFP coming up on a month. Been logging in every day, and started going to Planet Fitness. I'm 61, and tired of feeling the pinch in my jeans. When I started the gym as well as MFP, I was at 207 lbs, and have gotten down to 194.6. I'm a retired sailor, and enjoy my beers too much, which makes things hard at times! But hey, I'm giving it a shot. I think I found the age group that I belong in. Look forward to getting to know you all!
  • alteredsteve175
    Hi, Ron. Welcome to this group. I hear you about the beers. I homebrewed for years - made lots of good beer - drank lots of good beer. It's just not conducive to weight loss. Stopped homebrewing for that reason.

Still enjoy a pint now and then. Just gotta' work them into the calorie plan.

Steve
  • Ron_in_NC
    Hey Steve. Thanks for the welcome! I'll be so glad when this cold weather finally leaves, and Spring shows up, like it's suppose to! For me, when it's cold, I have absolutely no motivation to do much of anything. I can't seem to get warm, and just want to hibernate. Ok, now that I've got my whining out for the morning, good Monday morning everyone!! It's going to be a wonderful week.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,063 Member
    Welcome Ron. I’m 61 as well, and looking forward to spring. I’ve been getting out for daily walks, but somedays it’s not much fun.
  • Ron_in_NC
    Hi Farback. Daily walks are good. I joined Planet Fitness earlier this month, and have been going, or trying to go Monday - Friday, and step on the treadmill for about 60 minutes. I've been sticking with it. Some days I choose not to go though, if I have doctor's appointments or other commitments. I have a German Shepherd (5 years old), and I also try and get her out, and go for a walk, but that's more a leisurely walk, as I know that part of a dog's excitement in walking is to sniff everything in front of them. So, I get my workout in first.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,976 Member
    *waves* to all the new folks! Welcome!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    So nice to have so many new members
    Welcome everyone :smile:
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Hi. I'm a master's track and field athlete, recently injured for a second time (piriformis and hamstring). I'm 69 yo woman. I don't have weight issues, but looking for recommended nutrition (nothing off the wall) and getting back to pre-injury conditioning without re-injuring a chronic issue with piriformis. After a month of phys tx, I can jog 2 miles and do some hamstring and piriformis stretches and can ride bike. I tend to run slow and steady, but can ride the stationary bike doing intervals without straining my hamstring. Appreciate other suggestions.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,884 Member
    joyoakey wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a master's track and field athlete, recently injured for a second time (piriformis and hamstring). I'm 69 yo woman. I don't have weight issues, but looking for recommended nutrition (nothing off the wall) and getting back to pre-injury conditioning without re-injuring a chronic issue with piriformis. After a month of phys tx, I can jog 2 miles and do some hamstring and piriformis stretches and can ride bike. I tend to run slow and steady, but can ride the stationary bike doing intervals without straining my hamstring. Appreciate other suggestions.

What disciplines are you competing in? I was doing shot-put for a while.
  • alteredsteve175
    joyoakey wrote: »

Can you do any strength training? Deadlifts are good for building leg strength. Single leg deadlifts with a kettlebell give my hamstrings a good workout.
  • norasuntich
    norasuntich Posts: 23 Member
    Hi y’all I’m Nora. I’m 56. I need to lose about 100. Current weight is 275. What motivated me to start is feeling knee pain when I walk. Im graduating from college next year and I want to look good in my pictures and when I interview for a job. I’m taking high blood pressure meds and am pre diabetic. I hope to get support and some good healthy eating tips.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Hi y’all I’m Nora. I’m 56. I need to lose about 100. Current weight is 275. What motivated me to start is feeling knee pain when I walk. Im graduating from college next year and I want to look good in my pictures and when I interview for a job. I’m taking high blood pressure meds and am pre diabetic. I hope to get support and some good healthy eating tips.

Welcome, Nora! Weight loss has made a huge reduction in knee pain for me, and reduced my blood pressure from borderline/high down to normal/low normal. I think you're onto a good thing here - best wishes!