Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th

Options

Replies

• Acheymakey
    Acheymakey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Day 3 (Yesterday)

73% Fat 157g / 20% Protein 99g / 7% Carbs 32g

And 2 lb down yippee that's 3.75 lb in 3 days, this is crazy. I feel slightly nauseous so wondering if I'm going into ketosis.
    Loving the plan, I've not felt so hungry, not lost energy and I'm loosing weight.

Have a great day everyone.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @12weekstoday congratulations on your loss! Keep your salt intake and water intake up. They have Keto sticks that you can use to tell you if you have ketones in your urine.
  • Acheymakey
    Acheymakey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks @fanncy0626 I will give that a go, nausea has worn off after breakfast.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I had a feeling before I stepped on the scale I wasn't gonna like it...was down 4.2 lbs first 3 days but up a pound this morning :/ Really didn't do anything differently yesterday. Might have been slightly less active but not much. Ugh. This is what happened with Paleo. I lost the first week and then stalled quickly.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @mjj79 make sure you drink a lot of water.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    @fanncy0626 : yeah, that is something I struggle with, but I'm not sure that it was any different yesterday . Thanks for the reminder tho ;)
  • fanncy0626
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Day 5/28 hello everyone! It seems like people are communicating, and supporting each other! Fantastic! It is great when people get to know each other and can give each other motivation and support!

Suggestion for today is to continue to get to know the other people participating in this challenge and giving supportive advice and feedback!

Mary
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I forgot to check in yesterday, Whoopsie!

I had another fabulous day. Under twenty net carbs, within caloric limits, stayed moving.

So....on to today!!!
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Mary, thanks so much for starting this challenge. I had slacked off and hadn't worked out in a month. Today, was the 4th day in a row I have stuck to my workout plan, alternating strength training and run/walk. Today was a 35 minute run/walk with intervals of 3 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking.

Food has been on plan. I am hungrier today than normal. It may be due to the increase in physical activity.

Down another .5 lbs this morning. My weight will bounce up and down and after several days will hit a new low. I rarely have a loss 2 days in a row. The trend line steadily going down is what I pay attention to.

Good job everybody!

Cathy
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Brunch: Egg Salad - 3 Large Hardboiled Eggs/Black Olive 42g/Mayonnaise 26g/Onion 7g
    446kcal/4g net carbs/39g fat/19g protein/1g fiber

Exercise; Jazzercise 1 hour

Karen in Virginia
  • kroderick
    kroderick Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Checking in today. I am down another 2lbs. I am wondering if this is a fluke or what not! I know I should not be checking everyday and waiting a week - but I am always curious what is going on. I have not implemented any workouts yet. I am trying to get control of the food and then will start. I have a home gym, so I have no excuse. I am hoping that on Tuesday when I weigh in officially the weight will stay off. I have been drinking my water and watching my macros. So far, I had to add more fat to my diet to meet the macros. Other than fat bombs, does anyone have any suggestions?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Chena83 wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Chena83 wrote: »
    My word..... I GAINED 2 LBS. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? My macros are good... maybe I need to up my water? Hhhhhhh.....

@Chena83 - that is very likely water weight fluctuations. The scale actually shows what you did 2 weeks ago as far as true fat loss ... not yesterday.

Any huge changes day to day are due to things retaining water from not enough sodium (happens far too often for keto-ers), having had more carbs than intended (carbs hold in water to process themselves), or more activity/workouts (water is retained to repair muscles), or dozens of other things. Most of these regulate themselves readily.

The biggest component of success on a ketogenic diet is patience. Patient and reevaluating every 6-12 weeks. Any major changes will take 4-12 weeks to show true results - like if you flipped macros, added workouts, etc.

Thanks so much for the motivation and insight along with Ms. Fanncy0676 you two are Awesome Sauce.
    Sooooo..... I called myself upping my water and trying to get a little exercise in today, I walked 1-mile at mile pace, and then weighed myself. And guess what the scale went up an additional two pounds. I was angry. But it's okay now I understand it will be okay.

@Chena83 - Knowledge is power. They did a study where a guy did major workouts or a race in a day. In a single day, he had as much as 15 pounds difference in his weight form lowest to highest based on activity, dehydration, etc. It was CRAZY.

That's definitely a reminder to try to do our weigh ins first thing, after going to the bathroom, and nude, preferably at close to the same time each day. Consistent data is the only kind we can use! AM weigh in one day, PM another day, after lunch one day - that kind of chaos makes my barely existing OCD start creating a panic attack. LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    colosky17 wrote: »
    I'm just a beginner but one of the sites I'm on recommends the protein for women to be 45g at 5 feet, then add 2.8g for each inch to get your protein macro (mine is 56, I'm short). They claim going over this number of protein (unless adding strenuous activity) causes the body to convert the excess protein to Glucose through gluconeogenesis. So maybe check your protein #?

Thanks for the input. Right now I have my macros set for Carbs 6% / 20 g Protein 19%/62 grams and Fat 75%/110 grams. I'm a tad bit over 5'6". Some days I make it some days I don't but I always try to stay under 20 grams net carbs each day.

I'm beginning to think that my activity has something to do with it. I have always worked out a lot and have built quite a bit of muscle but due to shoulder surgery and family issues I haven't been able to do weights regularly or run. That should change soon though as I'm getting ready for a marathon. I've done half-marathons but no full marathons so I'm taking plenty of time to train, especially since I'll be dealing with summer swelter and 85% humidity on the runs. Maybe my lessened activity has something to do with the lack of weight loss.
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Could be what you are doing now with the extra protein. You will still have success because muscle is more dense than fat and if you take your measurements you will see a drop in inches!

Hopefully I'm maintaining my muscle and not losing it! And yes. Thanks for the reminder... measuring tape is a more accurate measure at this point. And yes, I have lost some inches. I'd just like to see that danged scale move!

As to my day today.....
    f4c5c4heq9x2.png

Under calorie, 73% fat and only 10 net carbs. I consider it a success.

Marcelyn itchy from poison sumac in Houston
    (tip: long pants when tearing out random vines in the yard is a safety measure!)

With having more muscles and training, you're probably going to need to massively increase that protein level, but I'm sure you remember that. Just keep in mind that Olympic body builders show up as Obese on BMI charts most of the time due to the weight of muscles. Make sure you keep actual body fat in mind...

Oh, and from what I understand, doing a marathon keto-adapted is amazing! @lodro is doing ultra-bike things - and it's amazing!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2017
    Options
    bolsen777 wrote: »
    Has anyone here experienced ocular migraines? I had never even heard of them until five weeks ago. I've had one a week since then. My first one hit about three weeks after I restricted my carbs. Could it be related to the keto diet?

@bolsen777 - I developed ocular migraines September of last year. I started Keto Jan/Feb of 2015.

All of my research shows that ocular migraines are more likely due to age, allergen triggers, and blood pressure. As far as my research, it seems that my main triggers were histamines (everyone's triggers can be different - I was consuming a lot of naturally fermented foods, leftovers, and low quality hot tea at this time, so I massively escalated my consumption). I dropped most of the trigger foods and increased my BP medicine (common treatment suggestion - I only take BP meds due to being on BCP at advanced age causing HPB as a side effect) and I had 1 after that.

I haven't had any more since making those changes. I am interested to experiment now, though, and give Kombucha and Sauerkraut another run, since I enjoyed them so much.

EDITED TO ADD: If you find this related to your dietary intake, it is FAR MORE LIKELY that it's due to foods you dropped or added, and not to the diet plan itself.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    kroderick wrote: »
    Checking in today. I am down another 2lbs. I am wondering if this is a fluke or what not! I know I should not be checking everyday and waiting a week - but I am always curious what is going on. I have not implemented any workouts yet. I am trying to get control of the food and then will start. I have a home gym, so I have no excuse. I am hoping that on Tuesday when I weigh in officially the weight will stay off. I have been drinking my water and watching my macros. So far, I had to add more fat to my diet to meet the macros. Other than fat bombs, does anyone have any suggestions?

Congratulations on your weight-loss! I cook with added butter or olive oil. I also eat macadamia nuts and cheese crisps, Whisps. Hopefully others will give you ideas!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Weight gain today but I kind of expected that due to the steroid I'm on. I hate steroids but this rash from the poison sumac has got to go! Only on it for two weeks at a tapering dosage. It's not making me hungry but does cause some water retention and hyperactivity (which I am putting to good use cleaning my house lol). Doing well on the carbs today even eating out. I'm learning how to tweak restaurant foods to fit. They look at you weird but I really don't care. Yes I do want my hamburger wrapped in lettuce with double cheese thank you very much.

Who posted about the Cali pizza crust they found in the grocery store? azsundancer??? Where did you find it? Is it frozen or fresh? I have looked everywhere here and can't find it. I'll hit the organic specialty stores next but it sure would be easier than making it myself! (yes I'm lazy)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    kroderick wrote: »

Congratulations on your weight-loss! I cook with added butter or olive oil. I also eat macadamia nuts and cheese crisps, Whisps. Hopefully others will give you ideas!

@kroderick - the best thing is, macros are intended to be like this:

Carbs are a limit. generally a hard limit.

Protein is a goal range based on a number of things, but mainly your age/gender/weight/activity levels.

Fats fill in the rest BUT ONLY TO SATIETY.

When you are no longer hungry, stop eating. Your existing body fat will complete your fat macro. I don't recommend you intentionally undereat to achieve this - as the body KNOWS. But eat until you are just satiated. That doesn't mean until stuffed and buttons popping, but just full enough until you feel like you could go 3-4 hours without eating more if you needed to. This takes a while for people like me who'd been disordered eaters for years up years to learn to hear that true hunger voice again...but it can and does happen for most folks...
  • shereeny2u
    shereeny2u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support @fanncy0626. I've been doing ok first couple of days. I can manage my macros carbs and protein but not hitting fat targets. What do you all eat to hit your targets? haven't started measuring ketone yet (will today as it will be 3rd day). I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Wondering what sausages would compliant here? As know many have fillers that take me out ketosis. Still navigating way around this WOE. ❤.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    KnitorMiss Sorry I don't know what name you want to be called...would you share your journey? Are you at goal weight? How long have you been following a keto WOE? You have great insights and advice.

Karen in Virginia
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Karen, @KetoneKaren ...

My name is Carly. :) I'm not currently in this challenge because I don't do well in challenges (binge/compulsive eater, among other issues). I'm one of the Group Leaders of this page, so I try to keep an eye on things/answer questions. I'm very lucky that I was blessed with the ability to remember data and present it in forms at later dates for ease of use for other folks. Anything I ever share, I strongly recommend people use only as a leaping off point for their own research and experimentation. Every single one of us is so unique!

Short version: Went low carb January 2015, Keto February 2016, did great for a few months. WL stopped in that April and kind of stay flat for 3-6 months. Slow gains started. Stayed on keto solid for 18 months. Had a number of problems along the way. Fighting to be able to stay on it, but I missed a lot of nutrients in the way I went about setting up my dietary plan, and aggravated my pre-existing hypothyroidism.

I'm finally (yes, 2 years later) getting my thyroid issues figured out. I also have no gallbladder, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes, medication triggered HPB, and a whole host of other issues going on. My endocrinologist and former PCP were the ones who set me off on Keto, and they're quite supportive of me keeping with it.

I've been struggling with cravings and physical and digestive issues for a long time now, and the miserable side effects get too much sometimes and I end up going off plan to manage. I think I've finally found a way to stay on plan and not be miserable (adjustment to digestive supplements). If so, I'm DYING to get back on Keto full on (off and on the last several months) because I feel so completely amazing with it... I'm been compliant this week, and I hit that keto clarity today with the supplement/medication changes.

Crossing my fingers that this time, it finally lasts!!! It's such a struggle when what helps one health issue aggravates another, especially when inadvertently cutting out foods cuts your only sources of certain nutrients and you don't know to add those things back in until it's already a major issue. Compromised digestion and absorption complicates this matter exponentially. So, in the last 7 years, I've been through the gamut of health things.

We have a great bunch of folks here and in our "cousin" group for all types of low carbing, lost of research folks, and even a few medical professionals in the mix - though no one with a formal low carb specialty.

Best of luck to you as you go on.