Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't personally. I've heard KetoGains is good, and Darth Luiggi is a great source on that. He's been bulking on keto for over 10 years, I think.
  • hillarymouse
    hillarymouse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping back into keto after having my gallbladder out! I was really successful from January through the beginning of April, then had to stop for a couple of weeks with the gallbladder drama. Now that I'm sure my body won't explode violently with high fat I'm super pumped to be getting back into keto!

I mean, I've got a bit of a headache and I want ice cream, but it's going well! I've managed to stay under 30g net carbs each day this week, and I'm hoping to do a bit of meal prep after work tonight so that I can get back under 20g net carbs.

I'm tracking: Carbs, Fiber, Net Carbs, Calories, daily weight (I know not ideal, but it helps my obsessive little brain)

Goals: Under 20g net carbs daily, 25g Fiber daily, lose 10 lbs by the end of the school year!
  • heidi4fox50
    heidi4fox50 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im jumping back into the keto I have always been successful in the past with it as long as when I hit my goal weight I can maintain ill be golden.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Im jumping back into the keto I have always been successful in the past with it as long as when I hit my goal weight I can maintain ill be golden.

Okay, so these last few posts brings up an interesting topic. What's the thinking on maintenance? I don't really want to try to keep carbs under 20 forever. I am thinking I will look into the links Carly provided. I did just fine a few years ago keeping net carbs under 60, and was able to maintain for 1.5 years. Then I got cocky and got careless with carbs, calories, and logging, and Voila! suddenly I was Rubenesque again.

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping back into keto after having my gallbladder out! I was really successful from January through the beginning of April, then had to stop for a couple of weeks with the gallbladder drama. Now that I'm sure my body won't explode violently with high fat I'm super pumped to be getting back into keto!

I mean, I've got a bit of a headache and I want ice cream, but it's going well! I've managed to stay under 30g net carbs each day this week, and I'm hoping to do a bit of meal prep after work tonight so that I can get back under 20g net carbs.

I'm tracking: Carbs, Fiber, Net Carbs, Calories, daily weight (I know not ideal, but it helps my obsessive little brain)

Goals: Under 20g net carbs daily, 25g Fiber daily, lose 10 lbs by the end of the school year!

Welcome to the challenge! Lots of support and information on here if you need it! Especially the recipes will help out with meal prep ideas. Great goals! Prepping for meals is a great idea. It makes for great success!

Welcome to our group! I am within 5 pounds of my goal weight and will be working on maintenance at that time. I'm thinking before the end of May. karen is right about A lot of people thinking about what to do when they hit maintenance. Carly did give us a few links that will help us out with this. A couple of posts above your last post and you will find these links.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I would say that it really depends on your reason for going keto in the first place. If you are insulin resistant or diabetic or managing say a seizure condition, your carb levels are going to be far less forgiving. Also, as @KetoneKaren discovered, carb creep is real, it is HUGE and hard to stop, and it will get you before you know it.

My personal theory is that I will likely be able to explore all of the natural veggies, but for me, traditional grains and soy will likely be permanently restricted. Fruits ... are iffy. I'm hoping to heal my conditions enough to go more of a low carb/paleo type situation to allow MORE foods, but only the good ones.

The main theory I really love that gets me is "lose as you shall maintain." Be cause if we get to that "whew, DONE!" mindset, we will always backslide. It may go slower for you to get there, but I believe that for every 5-10% of weight loss, we should work in 6 weeks plus of maintenance, to allow our bodies a reset, to prevent diet/metabolism fatigue, and to adjust calories, etc.

But it's hard, because we're all spoiled and we want all the things that are bad for us, or we'd not have ever ended up here. So for me, especially now with all my thyroid issues, I'm working to get back to losing as I plan to maintain, which makes me sad, but I'm FINALLY starting to see all the ... alternative possibilities as a long term reality.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Carly - great insight! Thanks for the response. I know the smaller you get the smaller amount of food you generally get to eat to maintain that size. I know that on keto you supposedly don't have to count calories. I don't know about that, but I do know that when I am really strict I continually drop weight. It will be nice to have support along the way.
  • bannierooster
    bannierooster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So I have packed the macadamia nuts and am encouraged by all your suggestions for traveling. Thank you everyone!!

Another question for all you pros: I lost 12.5 pounds from March 30 to April 23 but have only lost 1 more pound since then. My macros are on track every day and am doing yoga, zumba, and swimming 2x week. Is this normal? While I was recently diagnosed Diabetic, I am not on medication yet as my doctor agreed to let me try and get sugar numbers down by diet & exercise. Or could it be my age (65)? Thanks again.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    1,450kcal/28g net carbs/108g fat/97g protein/7g fiber

A little over in carbs and calories, but all in all good day. Still in ketosis.

Karen in Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    So I have packed the macadamia nuts and am encouraged by all your suggestions for traveling. Thank you everyone!!

Another question for all you pros: I lost 12.5 pounds from March 30 to April 23 but have only lost 1 more pound since then. My macros are on track every day and am doing yoga, zumba, and swimming 2x week. Is this normal? While I was recently diagnosed Diabetic, I am not on medication yet as my doctor agreed to let me try and get sugar numbers down by diet & exercise. Or could it be my age (65)? Thanks again.

Great job on the travel snacks! I will pass your questions on to others with more knowledge about that.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    1,450kcal/28g net carbs/108g fat/97g protein/7g fiber

A little over in carbs and calories, but all in all good day. Still in ketosis.

Karen in Virginia

You're doing fantastic!
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good evening. Today was a pretty good day I stayed within my macros. I'm feeling really good about this process. I just feel like my weight loss is being a little slower than what it has been previously. I'm not going to lose faith and I'm just going to keep on going forward.
  • bannierooster
    bannierooster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great attitude, Chena83!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Or could it be my age (65)? Thanks again.
    Oh MY Gosh! You look fantastic for 65! I wanna grow up and be like you. :smiley:

Power washed my house and cleaned out the flower bed, replanting it and digging out an old rose bush that just grew and grew and drove me crazy. I went over in calories (I always go over in calories boo...) but am only 2 net grams of carb over so I didn't do too badly. I'm betting I'm still in Ketosis but ran out of strips.

Dr. appt. tomorrow. Thyroid check. I'm hoping that maybe my thyroid has kicked into gear but I was only on a keto diet for 2 weeks when I had my blood drawn. The appointment really is for my poison sumac reaction... still itchy after 3 weeks.

My husband has decided he loves Lemon Cloud Fat Bombs. I just now need to make them in Key Lime. He'll love me forever if I do. lol

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Marcelyn - can you post the recipe? They sound delicious!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

@bannierooster - Your weight loss is completely on schedule. Remember, the first "whoosh" of weight is all the stored water your body no longer needs to process carbs. Then, generally, we have a small regain as the body levels out, figuring out how much water we really need to hold in. Then the fat burns start. For me, generally when the scale was moving, the measuring tape was not. When the measuring tape was moving, the scale was not.

So, be absolutely sure you're taking solid measurements, pictures, and using the scale. A good friend here found out when she thought she wasn't losing anything that she'd actually lost a couple inches AROUND HER RIB CAGE. I mean, who would have thought to measure there?! Remember, too, to step back and look at averages.

Despite the likely lack of hormone cycle that's obvious, most women tend to lose within that cycle. Many ladies "seem" to lose NOTHING, then have a whoosh after the last week of the cycle. The less weight you have to lose, the slower it goes. The longer you do it, the more chances to slow down.

Another reason many of us lose big at first is that we cut our calories drastically. So while our metabolism is still kicking as if the calories were higher, we burn more. Then, as our metabolism slows down to match our caloric intake, the weekly losses slow. So, please check your caloric intake - make sure it isn't too low. Consider calorie cycling, too - where you have 1-2 days a week where you intentionally increase your calories a bit (usually 500 or so, with 100 or so few on the "low" days or some similar shift) to keep mixing things up and keep that metabolism churning and guessing - because the body wants to get complacent and to a state of level. It's human nature. It just generally tries to push up to the heaviest weight, because it knows how to hold steady THERE...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Remember, everyone, the slower you lose your weight, the more likely it is that you'll keep it off for longer/life - AND the more chances your skin has to maintain it's elasticity and shrink with you!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Day 12/28 good morning everyone! Hope everyone is doing well with this challenge. Almost halfway there! The weekend is fast approaching. Hopefully you have mentally and physically equipped yourself to fight any temptation that might happening this weekend.

Suggestion for today is to mentally prepare yourself for what you would do at a special event you might be attending this weekend. Any treats or suggestions from people that have been at this for a while would be helpful! Mother's Day is coming up and lots of graduations. Usually all centered around food. Mentally I prepped by thinking about what food choices I will make and physically I bring snacks in my car with me or a keto type food to share.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Well I binged today. On fat, but still it was a binge. Totally stress driven. I am a moderator on a neighborhood site and it has gotten ugly. Everyone wants me to do something different and I'm being hit with screams of censorship (even though the posts do not adhere to the guidelines) and screams of "you don't care". And I'm the one that takes the heat because I'm the moderator. *sigh* THIS is why I left Facebook eight years ago and never looked back. Gonna go the same way with this site if it continues.

So.... macadamia nuts en masse..... and two chocolate almond fat bombs. I am stuffed. And want to eat more. I have to learn to handle stress better. I'm good at handling stress in my family and physical, and stuff that has to do with me but it's when others involve me. I'm just not good at it.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Well I binged today. On fat, but still it was a binge. Totally stress driven. I am a moderator on a neighborhood site and it has gotten ugly. Everyone wants me to do something different and I'm being hit with screams of censorship (even though the posts do not adhere to the guidelines) and screams of "you don't care". And I'm the one that takes the heat because I'm the moderator. *sigh* THIS is why I left Facebook eight years ago and never looked back. Gonna go the same way with this site if it continues.

So.... macadamia nuts en masse..... and two chocolate almond fat bombs. I am stuffed. And want to eat more. I have to learn to handle stress better. I'm good at handling stress in my family and physical, and stuff that has to do with me but it's when others involve me. I'm just not good at it.

Sorry you feel so stressed out! Drink more water! Brush your teeth. It will pass!