Options

Replies

• Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Chena83 wrote: »
    How did you all get into exercise?

I actually started walking with my husband. He walks and I have to jog to keep up with him. With a 37" inseam his legs are quite a bit longer than mine and I take two steps to his one. lol But after a while I wanted more than just walking and found a personal trainer.

I remember my first real workout with my trainer. It is rather hilarious to think of how it actually went. I had bought a Groupon that gave me 6 workouts with a professional trainer for $30. Seriously, $5 a session. I had lost a lot of weight (50 lbs.) and had only been walking so I thought okay, I'll give it a try. It was a drive downtown for me (Houston city traffic in early rush hour...). I remember thinking on the way down the first day that it had better be worth the drive. I got there and met my trainer. A big guy covered in tattoos, shaved head, braided goatee and a handlebar mustache. Not exactly what I was expecting. He did an evaluation of my condition that day which was really some basic exercises: planks, wall sitting with a ball, mountain climbers, free weights.... Man I sweat so much that day. 45 minutes of hard work. We finished the first session and set up the next one (in three days time) and I headed out the door to take one look at the long set of stairs from the second story where we were to the parking lot and wondered if I was going to make it. Seriously it took me several minutes to make it down the stairs because my legs just did not want to work. I sat in the car for 10 minute drinking more water and wondering just what I had done to myself. Because I'm a cheapskate I was unwilling to call it quits after that first day and trudged back to the next session. Again he put me through my paces, different exercises and started working with me on position of my body and how to keep from hurting myself when exercising. I was just as sore the second time but went back for all six sessions. I've been with him 5 years now. Due to some family situations and lack of time I am probably going to take a break from working out with him (I usually go twice a week but lately have been just once a week) but his teaching has been invaluable. I can easily set up a program myself and do weights properly without fear of hurting myself. I have seen too many people lift incorrectly and injure themselves so I'm careful about body positioning. Do it right or don't do it in my book.

The one thing I do now is use Daily Burn, an online exercise program, if I can't get out to run or walk. They have so many different levels that you can always get a workout. And it isn't the same trainer or video each day. I get really tired of videos. The link above is an invite link to it but you can check out the full site from it.

Now I'm starting my training for my full marathon in December. It's early to start but I go slow and steady. No 3 month prep times for me. :) Funny thing though, I don't like to run. But I do it because when you cross that finish line it's an AWESOME feeling. And I like the bling.
    0x8g741cg2kw.jpeg

Thanks soooo much.... I have to be honest... I think I am a little hesitant because of that sore issue and I so not have a tube to soak in so I am trying to figure out how do I deal. I know it is good for me because I am an Occupational Therapist and I make my clients exercise. I am going to start. I really want to.. PROCRASTINATION IS UGLY!!!

Food wise today lower on my protien than I should. I still have 2 eating hours, so I may be able to get it in. Has anyone's scale showes their muscle mass increased WITHOUT exercise? How could that be?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Oil Spray and Foam Rollers...
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I didn't know they had magnesium oil spray. Do you do foam roller before or after?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Carly I just looked up Magnesium Oil Spray. Very interesting. I had no idea! Might try it before Jazzercising...

Karen in Virginia
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Long day; but, food is on track for day 2. Going to bed early to avoid bingelike sabotage.
    Might weigh in tomorrow, if I feel up to it. Or Wednesday. Didnt have the water whoosh I was hoping for today.
    Received several of my planned rewards from Amazon today...totally psyched to earn one of them every few pounds!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Long day; but, food is on track for day 2. Going to bed early to avoid bingelike sabotage.
    Might weigh in tomorrow, if I feel up to it. Or Wednesday. Didnt have the water whoosh I was hoping for today.
    Received several of my planned rewards from Amazon today...totally psyched to earn one of them every few pounds!

Fantastic job! Yea on the rewards. Have a good night!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    1,303kcal/29g net carbs/95g fat/79g protein/8g fiber
  • ashliedeee
    ashliedeee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF the last week + but this morning, for some reason, I woke up with the urge to eat. Not out of hunger, just this insatiable urge to put food in my mouth. I made the quickest choice i could grab at of two sticks of cheese and some mayo but am pretty disappointed to break my fast for the day.
    This ever happen to anyone?

It was so easy for the first 2 weeks + ..I loved what I was able to dine on but I find I'm going through some withdrawal. I want all the things I shouldn't be having all at once.
    It doesn't help that I work in a bakery part time.

Help!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @ashliedeee I do IF 19:5 so I have a 5 hour window to eat. I sometimes feel like that. I usually drink water when that happens. Then more water. Usually that is really what my body wants it's my head that has the cravings. If after the water I'm still starving...then I will eat 1 serving of Macadamia nuts that are high in fat and that will usually stop the cravings.
  • ashliedeee
    ashliedeee Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @fanncy0626 Makes sense. I definitely need to drink more water and I guess just be stronger at deciphering my bodies signals.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Chena83 wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I didn't know they had magnesium oil spray. Do you do foam roller before or after?

@Chena83 - Foam rolling is for after workouts. It helps keep the muscles from holding too much lactic acid in one place, helps spread all the withheld fluids/byproducts of burned muscles around, presses out the muscles/knots, etc. It hurts, but it hurts far less than doing a workout and not stretching/relaxing/releasing the muscle tension properly. My understanding is that if it's not extremely uncomfortable to "roll," you're probably not doing it right, but I've been told it is one of those "hurts so good" things.

The best part about magnesium oil spray is that your skin won't over-absorb. It takes in what it needs, and excess is not absorbed, so no overdosing issues in the digestive sense unless you're also taking an oral form, etc.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Carly I just looked up Magnesium Oil Spray. Very interesting. I had no idea! Might try it before Jazzercising...

Karen in Virginia

@KetoneKaren , I'd probably do it both before and after...because DURING will burn some... Before would prevent any cramping from lack of mag, after will replenish utilized mag... As I said above - the body will only absorb what it needs transdermally (through the skin).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    ashliedeee wrote: »
    I've been doing IF the last week + but this morning, for some reason, I woke up with the urge to eat. Not out of hunger, just this insatiable urge to put food in my mouth. I made the quickest choice i could grab at of two sticks of cheese and some mayo but am pretty disappointed to break my fast for the day.
    This ever happen to anyone?

It was so easy for the first 2 weeks + ..I loved what I was able to dine on but I find I'm going through some withdrawal. I want all the things I shouldn't be having all at once.
    It doesn't help that I work in a bakery part time.

Help!

@ashliedeee - look into candida die-off. See if any of that applies. It sounds like it's possible you finally burned through the last of your main stores of glycogen...but that your muscle mitochondria aren't fully developed to use ketones full on yet. Either that, or some bad gut bacteria are dying - because they will literally mentally scream at you like you're doing to die to try to get the sugar they need to grow/live.

I found that when I did IF too many days in a row, I created a disproportionate hunger response, and that I could do fewer days each time. I had to let it occur naturally. Sound like perhaps it's time to have backup plans for your backup plans.

And sends hugs of strength. Considering how strong the smell/craving response is in most of us, kudos to you for working in a bakery and staying on plan!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling is EVIL.

Necessary but EVIL.

Foam rolling makes my IT band scream but afterwards it is soooooo good.

Okay, maybe not all the time but it works.
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just weighed in for week#2. -4.4 pounds for a total of -6.4 pounds for the challenge!! I told my DH that I didn't want to go out for Mother's Day. I'm finally taking off the Christmas goody bloat. Huzzah!!!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Day 11/28 We are just breezing along with this challenge. I was a little over on the amount of carbs I ate yesterday. I'm not too worried about that at this point since I feel that my body is now fat adapted and can easily transition between fat burning and carb burning. I am now my own science experiment. At the end of this challenge I am going to test my body to see how high my carbs can go and still remain in Ketosis. Right now I try to stay under 20g but occasionally go up to 30-35g.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    kendallvon wrote: »
    I just weighed in for week#2. -4.4 pounds for a total of -6.4 pounds for the challenge!! I told my DH that I didn't want to go out for Mother's Day. I'm finally taking off the Christmas goody bloat. Huzzah!!!

Congratulations on your loss! Even if you go out on Mother's Day I usually find a lot of food that I can eat. It is a good idea to check the menu out first and make a plan and stick to it. Make it a life change and learn how to still enjoy yourself. I actually would have my carbs as a desert!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Day 11/28 We are just breezing along with this challenge. I was a little over on the amount of carbs I ate yesterday. I'm not too worried about that at this point since I feel that my body is now fat adapted and can easily transition between fat burning and carb burning. I am now my own science experiment. At the end of this challenge I am going to test my body to see how high my carbs can go and still remain in Ketosis. Right now I try to stay under 20g but occasionally go up to 30-35g.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary

Mary, @fanncy0626 - there are actually established protocols for how to test this, as each carb type/food may cause different reactions. For example, I can have 5-10 times the number of carbs from broccoli and stay in ketosis as the number of grains I can tolerate and stay in ketosis. All carbs are definitely not created equally!

I cannot find the article I was seeking, but here are a few with different ideas. The one I was looking for talks about testing your response to foods by using a blood glucose meter and/or a blood ketone meter. It had to do with testing 30 minutes after a meal and such... Maybe someone else will remember the one I'm talking about...

Here are some other related suggestions.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/how-to-find-your-ideal-carb-intake/

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/11/21/How-Many-Carbs-per-Day-on-Low-Carb-Ketogenic-Diet

https://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-carbs-per-day-to-lose-weight/
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Carly thanks so much for the links. I will definitely check them out. I do not want to reinvent the wheel with all of the help from people on here that have already tested the waters. If you find that other article let me know. I have 5 lbs until I reach my GW then the experimentation begins. I am a weight lifter and was wondering if you know anything about how to eat keto when bulking for muscle development. That is my next goal after I reach my weight loss goal. Thanks again :)

Mary