Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th

Replies

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Macadamia nuts = carb creep
    At least for me it does. I just don't want to stop. SO.... I am proactive in controlling my portion when it comes to macadamia nuts. I prepackage 1 serving size and then grab one of those packages instead of a handful, which always ends up being 1 1/2 or 2 servings if I take time to measure it.

Good article.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Day 25/28 I can't believe we only have 4 days left! After this challenge we should be embedded in this way of eating. Plenty of eggs and bacon to go around! I myself cannot believe how eating this way melts the fat off of my body! I can actually see the difference from day to day. I am excited to take my measurements tomorrow.

Suggestion for today is to look to the finish line! Make this your sprint toward success! Is there anything you need to improve on, tighten up, get out of your house…

Make it a great day, only you can!

Mary
  • fanncy0626
    @kendallvon congratulations on Onderland! Your husband cooks the way I love to eat! Enjoy it! Stay cool!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited May 2017
    Ketones getting stronger after the weekend lapse. Trying to anticipate moments which will test me...Friday night will be hard...maybe a low budget trip to Walmart for retail therapy, we'll see.
    Sat morn is my new yoga thing, Sunday I have a replacement dance night. Then a light , but regular work week. Think it will be okay. Just have to try to be mindful of what is going on around me, how it makes me feel, and what if anything I can do about it. Thank you, yoga.
  • bannierooster
    bannierooster Posts: 37 Member
    For some reason I have been unusually hungry today (it may be that I increased the number of laps in the Olympic pool yesterday); but it is only 3 o'clock and I only have enough macros for a fatty cup of decaf tonight - yikes! Guess I will be going to bed early tonight (ha-ha).
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    MY WORD.... KETO MADE ME HAVE A PERIOD!!! I have been period free for years thanks to the Mirena (I am on my 3rd Mirena over 15 years). When I had my tubes tired in Oct., I had them insert a new Mirena to keep the periods away. I am honestly sad, however, if my BODY HAS to have a period to be healthy... I will do it. Thank goodness it is light. This is crazy because I feel weak, my breast burt, all that teenage period stuff... hhhhh... anyhow... I kept on macros today and did SL. I just want my happy back.
  • fanncy0626
    Chena83 wrote: »
    MY WORD.... KETO MADE ME HAVE A PERIOD!!! I have been period free for years thanks to the Mirena (I am on my 3rd Mirena over 15 years). When I had my tubes tired in Oct., I had them insert a new Mirena to keep the periods away. I am honestly sad, however, if my BODY HAS to have a period to be healthy... I will do it. Thank goodness it is light. This is crazy because I feel weak, my breast burt, all that teenage period stuff... hhhhh... anyhow... I kept on macros today and did SL. I just want my happy back.

Your body is probably producing HGH human growth hormone. It is the fountain of youth...
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Your body is probably producing HGH human growth hormone. It is the fountain of youth...

I didn't even think of that... I DO IF daily between 17:7-16:8.
  • fanncy0626
    Day 26/28 the challenge is coming to the end! I have seen a lot of success and struggles along the way. This he has been a growing period for all of us. Thank you for all of your support and your motivation!

Suggestion for today is to look back over the last four weeks and evaluate what worked well for you and what you still need to work on. Make the last couple days count!

Have a great day!

Mary
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    will we be continuing the challenge?
  • fanncy0626
    kendallvon wrote: »
    will we be continuing the challenge?

Thanks for asking that question. I'm sure other people are wondering the same thing. I will probably close down this thread at the end of next week. That way we can still talk about how we have done and what our goal for the next couple months are. I really like to use the challenge as a tool to bring in new people, stop the carb creep, and become recommitted to the LCHF Way Of Eating. Hopefully you will continue on with this WOE. I will probably start a new challenge in 2-3 months. Be watching for it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Yay!!!! Hit my protien today. Soooo happy. Completed SL 5X5 today. Am I supposed to feel my squats in the inner thigh?

@Chena83 - as your trainer to watch your form. You may be tightening or bracing an incorrect muscle set. Form is crucial to staying injury-free!
  • KnitOrMiss
    For some reason I have been unusually hungry today (it may be that I increased the number of laps in the Olympic pool yesterday); but it is only 3 o'clock and I only have enough macros for a fatty cup of decaf tonight - yikes! Guess I will be going to bed early tonight (ha-ha).

@bannierooster - Nutrition trumps carbs and calories every single time. Calorie deficits should be viewed on a 7-10 day average. It is literally impossible unless you're in a coma on life support maybe to have the exact same nutritional/caloric needs every single day. Maybe you slept more or less. Maybe you moved more or less. Maybe you forgot your multivitamin. Maybe you ate something different, had one more/less glass of water, etc. So many factors. It is NATURAL TO HAVE HUNGRIER and LESS HUNGRY DAYS. They should balance out, though, if you're eating to true hunger.

My personal theory is to NEVER go to bed hungry over the day's counts. Maybe I needed more protein that day to activity and my body is trying to tell me that. Especially since going to bed hungry can start the next day off on a bad foot.

If you are truly hungry, nourish your body with nutritious foods, no matter what macros you have left. Keep as reasonably low carb as you can to fit your plan, but don't skip a meal unless you're not hungry. Most of us ended up here through some form of disordered eating. Not eating when hungry is as disordered as eating when you aren't hungry... Just think on that.

Nutrition always wins over carbs or calories...ALWAYS.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Thankful for this group! Happy to say I've been back on track since Tuesday after a week and a half of lower carb, but not low enough. Lol. Worked out for the first time last night in months :) I have to be prepared with snacks...keto cheddar chips, fatbombs turkey pepperoni, etc..to keep me on track .
  • fanncy0626
    mjj79 wrote: »
    Thankful for this group! Happy to say I've been back on track since Tuesday after a week and a half of lower carb, but not low enough. Lol. Worked out for the first time last night in months :) I have to be prepared with snacks...keto cheddar chips, fatbombs turkey pepperoni, etc..to keep me on track .

Me too! I think we have an amazing group here! Fantastic job on your success and workout! Great job on preparing snacks in advance! That really helps me!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@bannierooster - Nutrition trumps carbs and calories every single time. Calorie deficits should be viewed on a 7-10 day average. It is literally impossible unless you're in a coma on life support maybe to have the exact same nutritional/caloric needs every single day. Maybe you slept more or less. Maybe you moved more or less. Maybe you forgot your multivitamin. Maybe you ate something different, had one more/less glass of water, etc. So many factors. It is NATURAL TO HAVE HUNGRIER and LESS HUNGRY DAYS. They should balance out, though, if you're eating to true hunger.

My personal theory is to NEVER go to bed hungry over the day's counts. Maybe I needed more protein that day to activity and my body is trying to tell me that. Especially since going to bed hungry can start the next day off on a bad foot.

If you are truly hungry, nourish your body with nutritious foods, no matter what macros you have left. Keep as reasonably low carb as you can to fit your plan, but don't skip a meal unless you're not hungry. Most of us ended up here through some form of disordered eating. Not eating when hungry is as disordered as eating when you aren't hungry... Just think on that.

Nutrition always wins over carbs or calories...ALWAYS.

I totally agree! Especially in the case where you know you had extra activity.
    If it were me, I'd have a piece of meat over a fatty drink any day! Regardless what macros some calculator says I should I eat.
    Protein will be used for many more important things rather than energy and provide nutrients that just a fatty drink cannot.
    Part of the journey is learning to listen to our bodies. You know you demanded more from it that day. Now it's asking for more in return. Don't forget when looking at the macros that protein is a minimum goal, not a limit. If activity brings about an increase in hunger, you can exceed that minimum.
  • KnitOrMiss
    And the other part of this is - if you are eating at a deficit, you should eat back at least a portion of your activity/workout calories. If you are eating at maintenance, and you are creating your calories through exercise, that is fine, but remember that anything over 30 minutes of intense exercise (you couldn't carry on a steady conversation while doing it) or mild to moderate exercise over 45-60 minutes - those BOTH tend to create a hunger over an above calories burned. More workout time is FABULOUS for the cardiovascular system, but it not always the best for the body nor for caloric restriction.

Essentially, don't double dip the deficit.

Yes, workout calories are questionable unless you are using a reliable HRM. BUT, creating too steep a deficit creates it's own issues. Create that deficit through caloric restriction OR exercise, but not both.

Too much exercise without not enough nourishing foods will create nutrient deficiencies, hair loss, sore muscles, longer recovery time, inability to build more muscle as your body will steal/convert from them for energy, binge tendencies, cravings, sleeping issues, bathroom drama, female (and male) hormone drama, and I could go on and on for days...

You *might* lose weight faster AT FIRST, but your metabolism LOVES to be at a steady level. It craves stasis. That's why it wants you to regain, because it knows how to stay THERE. It has to work, AND HARD, to stay level at smaller sized you when it knows those fat stores are still sitting there, waiting to be filled, etc. So when you lower your calories dramatically, you'll lose faster, AT FIRST, and then your metabolism will slow down, or drop below your current usage to "catch up." It's why many people keep feeling like the only way to lose is to keep lowering calories.

And that's simply not true. Many times along the way, we have to repair our metabolisms, boost them, or just give them a break from weight loss!!! Some experts say that for every 5-10% of body weight lost, you should purposefully stay active and maintain that weight loss for 6-12 weeks (some say 6 months, but I think that's for those of us who 10% is 40 pounds or whatever). You reset your "base body weight" each time you lose and maintain it for a good bit of time.

Other things to consider are that the slower you lose, the more chances your body can change with you. Those of us who've been heavy for years upon years will always have loose skin, but it can rebound some when we lose slowly and give it enough protein and building blocks to repair.

I know me, when I decide something, I just want it done. And NOW. But weight loss/health gains, they simply don't work like that. A friend told me recently to stop thinking that it's taking FOREVER to lose this weight. He told me to shift to thinking that I have FOREVER TO GET THIS RIGHT. It sounds so simple, but it's really not. This day and age, society is very NOWNOWNOW... Slowing down to do it right benefits US most... We're worth it, aren't we?
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    I just wish I knew how to tighten up my "bingo arms"...... you know the ones I mean... when you raise your arm and your loose skin goes flap flap flap like a flag waving when you get excited yelling BINGO! lol I never had really large arms and I think it is mostly age and gravity. I have tons of arm muscles, quite the bicept and tricept development but I still have that flapping flab. I hear it one of the most common cosmetic surgeries done. I can understand why.