Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th

Options

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    mznik114 wrote: »
    Week 2 for me and I feel great! Lost 8.2 lbs in the first week. Still can't believe Im not craving carbs yet....Well correction, for some reason I am craving sweets and I've never been a sweets eater (go figure). Loving Keto!!
    Good luck everyone

Congrats!!!

I eat sugar free jello with some hwc when I get that hankering for sweets. :)
  • mznik114
    mznik114 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Week 2 for me and I feel great! Lost 8.2 lbs in the first week. Still can't believe Im not craving carbs yet....Well correction, for some reason I am craving sweets and I've never been a sweets eater (go figure). Loving Keto!!
    Good luck everyone

Congrats!!!

I eat sugar free jello with some hwc when I get that hankering for sweets. :)

Thanks...I'll give it a try. I think anything will help at this point.
  • colosky17
    colosky17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is not being able to have my starbucks Carmel macchiato. I'm using hazelnut nutpods in my coffee and it's pretty good. The bullet proof coffee makes me nauseated so sometimes I just use some plain heavy cream.
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good luck everyone

There are many recipes out there on the net for fat bombs. I love these ones--

http://divascancook.com/chocolate-peanut-butter-fat-bombs-keto-diet-recipe/
  • kendallvon
    Options
    Tomorrow is my weigh-in day and I must admit to being a little nervous. I've been stalled for so long! But... my pants are already fitting better, so that's good, right?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @mznik114 - I would imagine the sweets cravings stem from the fact that your body is used to running off of carbs for fuel. Carbs (aside from non-soluble fiber and some sugar alcohols) are processed and broken down into glucose for the body to use and/or store it. So even though you've eaten potatoes or bread or cereal, etc., your body is running off glucose. Since you have cut off that source, even though you're providing it ketone energy sources by way of fat, it is still confused as to it's energy sources (it's building the pathways to properly use the new energy), but it's not adapted yet. So when it needs energy or thinks it does because it doesn't recognize the ketones fully yet, it will ask your body for fuel. Your body hears that as a need for glucose, hence sweets cravings... Salt and fat can mute the "gimme sweets" voice, as it isn't really needing what it's screaming for... Good luck. It does get easier.

If you do elect to make any sweets or fat bombs, sweeten only to the least sweet level that is tolerable so that sweet craving doesn't start raging out of control... That pretty much goes for anyone. We can reset our taste bud's preference levels... It just takes time.
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Day 3 is going well. Not so hungry today. Guess what.... after I started eating.... I was full. I didnt evem finish eating all my food. I was concerned about getting in all my protien...I was close enough. Everying is on track for hitting macors today.

My weigh in day is tomorrow....will keep you posted.
  • crystalsuepuppy
    crystalsuepuppy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm at the end of day 2. I'm using a plan that has all the meals laid out and how much to eat and the recipes, but I'm finding when I actually log them into MFP, they aren't coming out to be where they should. My actual protein consumed is way higher than my fat. I need to be around 127g fat and so far I'm only at 47. I'm maxed out on my protein. Help!
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I think today was better than yesterday. I still am still sluggish but managed to water my garden and do some grocery shopping. I drank a cup of beef bullion and a V8 to add sodium. Also picked up some blue cheese <3 to top our salads tonight.

One of my favorite egg dishes , 6 boiled eggs diced and slightly mashed, 6 sliced bread and butter pickles and a 1/4 cup of mayo. I split in half with my DH. Its yummy / creamy .. and super simple.

Can you tell I'm hungry?!?

Good Luck to those that are weighing in tomorrow!

• azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    kendallvon wrote: »
    Good luck everyone

Thank you!
  • kendallvon
    Options
    'welcome! Hope ya like 'em!
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How do you post pictures???? I just made this Keto Tuna salad from Pinterest for dinner.... and yall.... mmmmmm.... so good.

49 g protein
    37 g fat
    5 g carbs

This is sooo good.
  • bannierooster
    bannierooster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Day three is almost complete and macros are fine; plus I am down 12 1/2 pounds since March 30th. Nausea has been my theme, though. Will baking soda and water do the trick or do I need to run out to find an antacid? Y'all are so encouraging! THANKS!! Keep up the great work!!
    Ann
  • LillyRose_b
    LillyRose_b Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Being vegan, it's really challenging for me to stay under 20g/carbs. It's like I eat the same thing everyday!!!!!
  • mznik114
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @mznik114 - I would imagine the sweets cravings stem from the fact that your body is used to running off of carbs for fuel. Carbs (aside from non-soluble fiber and some sugar alcohols) are processed and broken down into glucose for the body to use and/or store it. So even though you've eaten potatoes or bread or cereal, etc., your body is running off glucose. Since you have cut off that source, even though you're providing it ketone energy sources by way of fat, it is still confused as to it's energy sources (it's building the pathways to properly use the new energy), but it's not adapted yet. So when it needs energy or thinks it does because it doesn't recognize the ketones fully yet, it will ask your body for fuel. Your body hears that as a need for glucose, hence sweets cravings... Salt and fat can mute the "gimme sweets" voice, as it isn't really needing what it's screaming for... Good luck. It does get easier.

If you do elect to make any sweets or fat bombs, sweeten only to the least sweet level that is tolerable so that sweet craving doesn't start raging out of control... That pretty much goes for anyone. We can reset our taste bud's preference levels... It just takes time.

Wow...This mkes so much sense to me. THANK YOU! So far I've been able to control.myself but today I did eat more than normal...No carbs still but have tried to keep full with protein and fat to keep the "gimmie sweets" voices away! Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day
  • mznik114
    Options
    kendallvon wrote: »
    Good luck everyone

Thanks so much!!! I love her recipes so I'll give this one a try
  • BrandieKC
    BrandieKC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Brandie. I'm new to this keto diet and am starting tomorrow. My goal is to lose 15 pounds by mid June. I feel that's a realistic goal. I've heard amazing things about this plan and I'm excited to start!

I guess my question would be... does it take you a little while to get the feel for how much of your day is 5% carbs. Like how many carb containing foods and amount of those foods you can take in? I'm assuming very little and I've set my fitness pal to macros to help. Just wondering how long it usually takes everyone to get the hang of it on their own?

Hope it's okay that I'm joining a few days late!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Day three is almost complete and macros are fine; plus I am down 12 1/2 pounds since March 30th. Nausea has been my theme, though. Will baking soda and water do the trick or do I need to run out to find an antacid? Y'all are so encouraging! THANKS!! Keep up the great work!!
    Ann

Hi, Bannie! I've found that nausea is a symptom of low sodium. I drink a half teaspoon of salt in water and it takes it right away. I have a higher need for sodium than allot of other keto people, around 6500/7000. I've always had lower blood pressure, on the lower end of normal, and I read somewhere that ties in somehow...IDK where, sorry.

Anyway, get more sodium in when you feel nauseated, it helps amazingly!