Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    mjj79 wrote: »
    Starting today. I have 110 lbs to lose. I've done low carb before, but never stuck with it long enough to see much success. Counting calories alone has not been working. I'm currently nursing a 9 month old (he also gets 3 meals a day of table food) ...does anyone know if I need to make adjustments bc of this?

There's a lot of information online that you can look at. What I have read so far has to do with not going under 50 g of carbs per day because you will need 30 g for milk production. They suggest to get these 30 g by eating fruit. Here's one of the articles that I found interesting.

https://ketogains.com/2016/12/keto-dangerous-pregnant-breastfeeding-children/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/when-breastfeeding

Hopefully there are other ladies on here that have had personal experiences and they can comment on this!

Mary
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    mjj79 wrote: »
    Starting today. I have 110 lbs to lose. I've done low carb before, but never stuck with it long enough to see much success. Counting calories alone has not been working. I'm currently nursing a 9 month old (he also gets 3 meals a day of table food) ...does anyone know if I need to make adjustments bc of this?

There's a lot of information online that you can look at. What I have read so far has to do with not going under 50 g of carbs per day because you will need 30 g for milk production. They suggest to get these 30 g by eating fruit. Here's one of the articles that I found interesting.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/when-breastfeeding

Mary

Thanks! I'll check that out. I remember hearing /reading a while back about a fear of toxins being excreted into the milk? I hope that's not true!

• fanncy0626
    Options
    @mjj79 I added a link to the previous post but you might not see it so I put it here for you.

• mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    @mjj79 I added a link to the previous post but you might not see it so I put it here for you.

Thanks! I did miss that one at first!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Success at the Mexican food restaurant today.... had a fajita beef salad.... ate it all with extra guacamole and cheese and left the crispy shell and the refried beans they use to "glue" it to the plate. Ended up with 6 carbs, 27 protein and 23 fat. Now to up the fat for the rest of the day..... of course the bacon this morning helped in that aspect... you can NEVER get enough bacon....
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Marcelyn great job on your success!
  • fanncy0626
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I know there is a difference of opinion on whether you should eat processed foods/sugar-free Jell-O but they do have some great options if you have a sweet tooth. I prefer to use Stevia but this recipe looks good to me!
    This is from page 2 of the recipe thread that I gave you a link to. Also on that page there are a couple people that tried a variety of different options with this recipe including making an almond flour piecrust similar to a graham cracker crust.

p9s1m8jmg47g.jpg
    This is my new fav. If you are aware of the Atkins fat fast, you know how useful cream cheese is for low carbing. The only issue is it uses processed food so if you're a purist you'd have to adapt. I go back and forth but I'm currently eating some processed food (like this).

1 pkt sugar free jello gelatin mix any flavor, but I like black cherry

1 cup boiling water

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese

Mix it at least a minute with a mixer until well blended. Pour into a large bowl and chill. It can later be sliced like a pie and served with berries. It's very yummy, pretty if you dress it up with whipped cream and berries, has a great mouth feel, high fat, low carb and keeps well for days.
    uvup4edk5y16.jpg
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I prepped meals for the week today. Boiled eggs and ground turkey with sausage seasoning for breakfast. Chicken salad made with homemade mayonnaise, Whisps and avocado for lunches. Macros: 20 C, 53 F and 73 P.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Cathy great job on your meal prep!
  • MadonnaEarwoodBradberry2015
    Options
    44yd4w8cwepf.png
    Hey I'm Madonna just join, my sister Ann & I are doing this together! Any advice on how to keep track of my carbs on here!
  • MadonnaEarwoodBradberry2015
    Options
    Sorry didn't mean to post the pic on here
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's a wonderful picture.
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When taking progress pictures, how do you all take them? Same time of day? Same clothes? How do you get the pictures to look the same?
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    @azsundancer glad you are here with us! You were so helpful in the last challenge with your support and information! We are so lucky to have you!

Shannon glad you are here! I hate the keto flu! But you know your body is transitioning at that point. You definitely will have support here!

@biancadallas82 I know that my skin is much improved in my hair is shinier from eating Keto. Greasy hair probably too much salmon sounds like a possibility mine would be too much bacon :D

@SuperCarLori I always love reading your posts because you have such a flair with words! Sounds like you have a great plan for success!

Mary

Thank you for having me .. I'm not sure how much help I was .. but I am excited to be back on track, today. This looks like a great group!!

My goals this week, Back to basics

-Log in my food, less than 100 carb grams to start, that is a major cut for me from what I have been eating lately.
    -Drink all my water
    -Strength training 2 times at least, I am lacking terribly in this.
    -Brush up on my macros homework
    -Take my measurements
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    colosky17 wrote: »
    rrggr5svdb7e.jpg
    For recipes, I'm not much of a cook. I do love these cauliflower pizza crusts I've ordered and plan on making a pizza of some sort with them this week. 0unt32erms1d.jpg

Thank you for sharing I will be looking for these!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    So far on target for day one, foodwise.
    Activity not so much targeted, but have been doing alot around the house and moving. I still have time to get more in.
    Already losing mega fluids.yay! Id love a 5-8lb woosh to start off with, but think it might be somewhat less, based on past history. Anything will be great. Always love getting started on keto. The instant gratification on the scale gives me a big mental boost!
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to everyone starting this WOE. A few points to avoid, or at least lessen keto-flu symptoms.
    1. If you've not done this before, remember, hydrate, hydrate, and then hydrate some more! If you're not peeing every 20 min, you're not drinking enough! :p
    2. Salt is your friend!
    3. Fat is not the enemy. Protein can be. Excess protein turns to glucose in your system through gluconeogenesis.
    4. Sorry, last tip was not to avoid keto flu, just a FYI. A lot of people like to drink bone broth or a bouillon- tea a couple times a day when energy levels start to flag. This can help!
    5. Those "Atkins" bars and "low carb" protein bars are just glorified expensive candy bars. I would recommend that, if you're just starting a Keto WOE, stick with just the basics for at least 2 weeks. Meat, fish, poultry, non-starchy veggies that grow above ground. (Corn is NOT a veggie!) After 2 weeks you might try adding a serving (weigh or otherwise measure these) of raspberries, blackberries, strawberries (low carb berries) with some home-made whipped cream! MMMMmmmmm!
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hey I'm Madonna just join, my sister Ann & I are doing this together! Any advice on how to keep track of my carbs on here!
    Fantastic picture!
    On your diary you can check the nutritional value of your food. You can also check out each individual item as you add it to your diary.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Chena83 wrote: »
    When taking progress pictures, how do you all take them? Same time of day? Same clothes? How do you get the pictures to look the same?

Great question! If you are just starting I really liked seeing same place, time, clothes. Although clothes eventually will fall off :D I never started taking pictures but would do it that way! I took measurements.