Tracey's OMAD Journey

Options

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    I have decided to forgo the extended fasts and just stick to OMAD. I started doing the extended fast basically because I was inpatient with the results I was getting and wanted speedy losses like others were posting. Focusing on OMAD and making healthy food choices will get me where I need to be without the added stress on my body from the extended fasts. For occasions when I am facing eating outside my window I will just eat one meal regardless of time and that will be my OMAD and i will just wait to eat again at my regularly scheduled meal time. This may cause me to have some extended fast days, but they should be rare.

- Tracey

That's a good plan! I only do the same extended fasts because I like having the days I do eat have a high calorie allowance lol.. Whatever works for your schedule and mindset is the best option imo
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Tracey, I only stick with OMAD and I've never fasted outside of my 23 hours because I don't see the need for it, nor do I see the need for super low carb--for me. My meals are all over the place but I do try to sticking with whole foods and minimally processed foods, and avoid fried, added sugars, etc., whether I'm eating like a carnivore, an herbivore, or an omnivore. And, I count my calories. Even when I do have gains throughout any given day during be week, they balance out by weigh in day.

You've got this lady! I know many people in this group are doing extended fasts, and that is their prerogative, but nowhere does Joe advocate the practice in the OMAD plan outside of your normal daily fast between meals, so don't feel like you're going off the plan or doing something wrong by not doing it, okay? Our fearless leader and OMAD role model didn't do weekly extended fasts when he lost all that weight in one year. Please correct me if I'm wrong @arguablysamson
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    OMAD is a great way of eating and I am going back to the basics. One meal, One Plate, One Beverage, One Hour.

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. We've got this!!

- Tracey
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    That's exactly the place I've got to over the last couple of days - I am going to stick to OMAD and not try to keep up to anyone weight loss wise - I know if I try some extended fasts it's going to get me in trouble!! Back to basics (not that I really tried anything else - I just kept thinking I should because it seemed like everyone else was doing it!! ) for sure! :)
  • tlblanksfit
    Options
    Here is tonight's meal.

av7znpose227.jpg

- Tracey
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Arghhhh, why, why did I check out your post?!! Are those Girl Scout mint cookies on the right? The entire meal looks fabulous!
  • tlblanksfit
    Options
    Yes they are, half a serving 2 cookies..
  • tlblanksfit
    Options
    Two days in a row with an uptick on the scales but I am sure it is water weight resulting from soreness from a strength training workout I did on Monday. I will be attempting to drink more water today with a goal of at least 75 ounces. Going to stick with the basic OMAD and not let the up in the scale cause me to change things. I can succeed and will succeed with OMAD. Sunday is my official weigh day so I am hoping for an overall loss come then.

- Tracey
  • tlblanksfit
    Options
    Hello all,

I am thinking of switching up my meal time to around noon. I think having more time to digest my food before going to bed will be better for me. So I am thinking I will do an extended fast today and begin my new mealtime tomorrow which is good because we are having an outdoor summer potluck at work tomorrow .

To make this work and save money, I will have to take the previous nights dinner, take my photos, and package it up to eat for lunch at work on the weekdays. I can't take pictures at work so if I want to keep sharing my meals I will need to plate it, take my picture, and then pack it in my containers to have for lunch the next day.

I also want to add in workouts in the evening. The YMCA has spin classes on Mondays and Saturdays and water fitness classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays that I am looking to take.

By eating at noon and doing these exercise classes will I need a protein drink after the workout or will I be alright without it?

The new meal time I think fits better into my schedule even on the weekends.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Water weight can be such a downer at times, but it does go away and I'm glad you know that.

Ohhh, if we lived closer, we could totally eat our meals together. I have mine anywhere from 10am-3pm :-) I hope it works for you.

I never eat or drink calories between my meals, and when I do feel like exercising, I just exercise in a fasted state and I'm fine. :-)

I have no doubt that if you stick to OMAD this week that you'll axe the water weight and have a loss on your weigh-in day.

• tlblanksfit
    Options
    Thanks Sandy, I have been doing light exercise daily at work on my portable elliptical strider. It is under my desk and I do a minimum of an hour on it during my 9 hour work day. I was just inquiring about the more strenuous work outs. I will try it without any meal supplementation and see how it goes. I don't want to do the protein drink, but I also want to provide what my body needs so I won't lose too much muscle.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    You're welcome. If you are getting in all or most of your protein during your meal, you should be fine in helping feed your muscles. Muscle loss will happen when losing weight, but it's minimal compared to fat loss.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight when I have DOMS after a weights' workout... Definitely water weight.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the protein shake. I think it will make it harder to lose weight. I've tried what you described but I almost always end up eating more in the evenings and so I've decided that I just need to put off the eating as long as I can. If it works for you and that fits your schedule go for it. I work out in the mornings now cause I will bonk if I try after a fast and its hot later in the afternoon. I dont' bonk in the morning since I've still got enough glycogen from the previous evening's meal in me to get me through it. I've found I can fast for the rest of the day after exercise and only get a little bit more hungry than normal. The exercise will decrease your appetite for a couple of hours. Good luck.
  • tlblanksfit
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. No meal tonight so no photo. I had an extended fast today as I am changing my eating window starting tomorrow to between noon and 4:00pm. I will see how I do on that schedule. With me eating my meal at work and then working out after work I think I should be OK hunger wise because right now I get the most hungry when I am at work.

I did my deep water fitness workout tonight. It will definitely take some getting used to. I am going to sleep now because I feel the hungries coming on. Have a blessed night everyone.

- Tracey
  • tlblanksfit
    Options
    Those extended fasts do their thing I tell you. I was down 2.5 pounds this morning, but I am sticking with my commitment to the basic OMAD protocol and forgoing scheduled extended fasts for now. Today will be my first day eating my OMAD at lunch time. We are having a potluck lunch today at work. I brought a salad to go along with what I eat from the potluck because from the signup list no one was bringing any vegetables. I will try to take a picture of my meal since the potluck will be outdoors and I can have my phone with me.

-Tracey
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    So happy for you! 2.5 pounds is an awesome loss. Hope you have a great time at the luncheon. :)
  • OMAD2017
    OMAD2017 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    2.5# is awesome! I understand why you want to stop the fasts, though. My OMAD is lunch. It just seems to work better because I'm hungrier earlier in the day and there seems to be a lot of food at work so that deals with any temptation there. I think I would sleep better if I ate a dinner, though, so I may change down the road. Good luck in your transition!
  • tlblanksfit
    Options
    Today potluck was a success. I think I may have eaten a bit more than I should but I was not overfully full. I was thinking I needed to make sure I eat enough to hold me through the day. I ate around 1:15 and it is 7:00 now and I am not hungry so I think this my be a good switch. My family had pizza tonight and I did not even want any. Here is the photo of my meal. A full plate indeed. I also had my grapefruit juice with two tbs of ACV and a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon.

arhog712j898.jpg

- Tracey
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    That's an incredible amount of delicious looking food! I'm glad the switch today worked for you and I hope it continues to do so. That's how I've been everyday with having late morning to early afternoon meals. Once in a great blue moon I will get hungry in the evening when my husband and/or our daughter is eating. Its happened maybe twice and only if I didn't have a filling meal.