Sarah's OMAD Journal

Options

Replies

• Jessica12877
    Jessica12877 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Colorado at this time of year can be tricky. My sister used to live in Boulder, and I noticed that during fall visits, I could wake up with snow on the ground, but that by afternoon is could be 75 degrees. Plan for both warm and cold :)
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    Sacrilege! LOL! As they say, may as well get a burger if you're gonna have well-done steak :)
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    bettisboy wrote: »
    Colorado at this time of year can be tricky. My sister used to live in Boulder, and I noticed that during fall visits, I could wake up with snow on the ground, but that by afternoon is could be 75 degrees. Plan for both warm and cold :)

Yikes! I hope no snow - I've had enough snow in my life to last several lifetimes!!!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Very happy to see a drop on the scale today! We had a yummy cauliflower and cashew biryani from the meal service last night. I also had tomatoes, apple and peanut butter, a carrot and a salad.

u811l7o7ukt8.png
  • minigrrll
    Options
    It might be pushing it, but I'd love to be at or under 170 by the time I leave for the US on Oct 13. That's close to 3 weeks away, so definitely doable.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Go for it, it is doable and I believe you can do it.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    YOU GOT THIS BABE! I'm shooting for 170 or under by Oct 21st and you're a solid 4-5 pounds ahead of me! <3 Nice loss btw ( PS biryani <3<3<3 )
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement guys - I can totally do it!!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You can do it!!!! Great drop!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    So I had an epiphany while I was walking the dogs just now.

I realised that, because of the way I do OMAD (no restriction other than one "meal" and eating until I'm satiated) I have no control over how fast or slow I lose weight. So even if I say I'd like to reach x weight by y date, there is nothing I can do to get there. Well I technically could restrict to make myself lose faster, but then this becomes like every other diet I've ever been on, and probably doomed to fail. This is likely not true for everybody, but the very thing that makes this sustainable for me, is the lack of restriction, deprivation etc.

So, I've decided that I need to NOT say that I want to reach x weight by y date and just see what happens. I guess it's all part of learning to let go and just trust the process.

Of course, all the above is me talking when I've not hit a plateau or really had anything go wrong with the process! Once I get closer to goal, it will be interesting to see what happens. But I'd really like NOT to ever have to think about anything other than WHEN I can eat, rather than WHAT and/or HOW MUCH I can eat. Of course I do think about WHAT because I like to eat healthy food as it makes me feel good - this is different than thinking about WHAT because I want to lose weight. So many thoughts!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Perfect Sarah, I like how your brain thinks. I was afraid to weigh myself because in the past it always worked against myself. If I lost weight...it made me feel like I could slack up...if I gained weight I beat myself up and thought I may as well eat because nothing works. As much as I would like to make better and better food choices, I just eat what I want because it's the beauty of OMAD...the reward for waiting and just eating once. I failed before because I watched too many videos on how to eat optimally in general and I adapted it to OMAD, and it made it too hard and unrewarding so I again told myself I was a failure. I did fail but this time I'm just doing plain ol' OMAD and it's pretty dang good. If it ain't broke...don't fix it.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I agree, I do not want to deal with restrictions. I do better with the not eating and eating. When I am fasting, I eat nothing and when I am eating, I eat what I want. My vegetarian days don't seem like a restriction because I know on those days I don't eat meat. I eat whatever I want except meat and I have no problems with that even when my sister cooks meaty things I love on my vegetarian days.

You have to do what is right for you and no one knows that better than you. You are progressing greatly and I see no need for you to change things or rush things. The process does work as long as you work it.

I personally am at the point where I want to move on from losing and get on with the rest of my life. If given the chance, I could drag this weigh loss out losing and gaining the same 3 or 4 pounds over and over and never reaching my goal since I am at a point where I am happy at my current weight but would like to see a particular number. If I get there by November 10th fine, if not, also fine because I have a life to live and don't want to be stuck in a weight loss circle that could never end because I feel it is OK to lose and gain the same pounds over and over.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all of that! I like that way of thinking :):):)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »

I realised that, because of the way I do OMAD (no restriction other than one "meal" and eating until I'm satiated) I have no control over how fast or slow I lose weight. So even if I say I'd like to reach x weight by y date, there is nothing I can do to get there. Well I technically could restrict to make myself lose faster, but then this becomes like every other diet I've ever been on, and probably doomed to fail. This is likely not true for everybody, but the very thing that makes this sustainable for me, is the lack of restriction, deprivation etc.

So, I've decided that I need to NOT say that I want to reach x weight by y date and just see what happens. I guess it's all part of learning to let go and just trust the process.

Of course, all the above is me talking when I've not hit a plateau or really had anything go wrong with the process! Once I get closer to goal, it will be interesting to see what happens. But I'd really like NOT to ever have to think about anything other than WHEN I can eat, rather than WHAT and/or HOW MUCH I can eat. Of course I do think about WHAT because I like to eat healthy food as it makes me feel good - this is different than thinking about WHAT because I want to lose weight. So many thoughts!

I've always eaten tell full and then grazed after that for the same reasons - sustainability. Fortunately for me it does result in a good loss rate if I'm consistent. I'm going on 4-weeks with no splurge days and I've noticed that my stomach is getting smaller. I can barely eat one plate of food now before I get full. I think that has contributed to me losing a lot this last 3-weeks. If your doing a splurge day, consider giving it up and see what happens. It's not that bad of a sacrifice if your eating ad libitum in the evenings. Also another thing you could try is to just shorten the eating window, start eating later and still eat as you please but for a shorter time, that should result in less calories. Good luck!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I think you are correct not to get too concerned about how fast you lose. You've got a new sustainable lifestyle now rather than being "on a diet". Of course if you ever feel that you've plateaued too much you could always make some minor tweaks to the what, when, and how much.

What sustains me about OMAD even during times when I'm not seeing big weight drops is that I don't consider what I'm doing to be any kind of burden, or something that I couldn't easily keep doing forever if need be. To me this means it is impossible that I will go off the rails and have a relapse. I know deep down that I'm not the same anymore and that I will sustain my weight in a healthy range come what may. Having that confidence means the world to me.
  • minigrrll
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    minigrrll wrote: »

I've always eaten tell full and then grazed after that for the same reasons - sustainability. Fortunately for me it does result in a good loss rate if I'm consistent. I'm going on 4-weeks with no splurge days and I've noticed that my stomach is getting smaller. I can barely eat one plate of food now before I get full. I think that has contributed to me losing a lot this last 3-weeks. If your doing a splurge day, consider giving it up and see what happens. It's not that bad of a sacrifice if your eating ad libitum in the evenings. Also another thing you could try is to just shorten the eating window, start eating later and still eat as you please but for a shorter time, that should result in less calories. Good luck!

I don't do splurge days - I don't think I could handle them. The most I do is extend my window on the weekends. I still consider it one meal, it just lasts longer and has more alcohol in it!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    jvcinv wrote: »
    I think you are correct not to get too concerned about how fast you lose. You've got a new sustainable lifestyle now rather than being "on a diet". Of course if you ever feel that you've plateaued too much you could always make some minor tweaks to the what, when, and how much.

What sustains me about OMAD even during times when I'm not seeing big weight drops is that I don't consider what I'm doing to be any kind of burden, or something that I couldn't easily keep doing forever if need be. To me this means it is impossible that I will go off the rails and have a relapse. I know deep down that I'm not the same anymore and that I will sustain my weight in a healthy range come what may. Having that confidence means the world to me.

That's exactly right! I'm not in a hurry - sure I'd like to be in skinny-town when I wake up tomorrow - but clearly that's not going to happen so I might as well enjoy the time it takes to get there!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Tiny tick down on the scale today. I can't even really remember what I had for dinner yesterday. I'm exhausted from work. I worked all weekend and probably did 12 hours on Monday and then yesterday I started at 4am (meetings) and worked through until after midnight. This morning I had a meeting at 5:30am. Ugh.

I definitely get more hungry when I'm tired and working to a deadline like that. Every time I'd get frustrated/annoyed with work, the first thing that would pop into my mind was "I'm hungry"! Clearly I wasn't hungry, I was just trying to find a distraction in food, or to soothe myself or something. Crazy. I managed to make it to 1 minute past 21 hours fasted (that's my minimum on the week days)... I did eat a fair bit, but I guess nothing crazy! Can't wait until Trendweight puts my goal back into 2018 rather than 2019 though.

86tcc98zmu8v.png

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you can get some good sleep soon because that does help with weight loss...By just extending your eating window is a smart way to splurge :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Long term is the goal so that is most important like you said.