Optimistic for an Outstanding October!

Options
12346»

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,947 Member
    Options
    Donna, eating out is always a challenge. I don’t go out a lot so I tend to just say oh well and eat whatever is vegan even if it has oil or something. If I ate out often it would be more of an issue. The salads sound really good though. Awesome job on the loss for the 6 weeks!!! And your husband too! Hope you enjoyed the art show.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you to find the perfect house Karrie! This is getting complicated I am also crossing my fingers for a friend who is up for a job she really wants… makes it hard to type. ;) I agree with Donna though, make a list of must-haves and don’t compromise or you’ll regret it later. Way to go on the treadmill.

Carla, glad to see you. :) I remember how hard it was for you to find the right house. If I recall you and Lia were looking for houses at the same time. I love what you have done with the chickens and orchard and everything. Your home sound pretty idyllic to me.

I will probably get the flu shot this year.

Made it to the grocery on the way home and got broccoli, collards, peppers, asparagus, potatoes and sweet potatoes, salad greens and tomatoes. Already have carrots, onions, celery. Will do some food prep tomorrow. I haven’t been feeling too well the past couple days, I think it’s the crazy weather fluctuations making my sinuses all wonky, my head is a weather barometer I swear, so I am going to bed early tonight. Will be working all weekend as usual. I have leftover soup for dinners the next couple nights.

Oh, and if I forgot to mention, I finished my purge of the freezers since today was garbage collection. The small chest freezer is now empty, unplugged it last night to defrost and moved all the good stuff to the fridge freezer. Still lots of frozen veggies and such to use up and I will be using them before I restock. I hate wasting food!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It just so happened when I had my meet and greet with new internal med Dr. the flu shot clinic was set up in the lobby at the SAMC (military hosp in San Antonio). I had my first of many referrals today, fasting blood draw and then dermatology. I was hangry this morning but it was a fun morning. A good friend just arrived in San Antonio, met us for coffee between appointments at Lackland AFB. Fun to catch up.

Bad news....I grew up in 60 and 70's...was one of those stupid teenagers who used baby oil to sun bathe. I am fair with blue eyes. I skied, rode horses and hiked usually without a hat or sunscreen. I have several precancerous lesions. I have to apply this "chemo" cream to my face...they said it would cause my face to redden and might "burn." I met another friend for lunch who is an internal med. dr. She laughed and said burn....it will blister your face. :o ..she recommends patients start it in January so xmas pics will not be of red face......with my fair skin I will likely blister...sounds lovely...I am going to start it next week but have to avoid being out in strong sun during the day. Can only walk dogs or play tennis early or at night. Starting med on Monday or Tuesday.

Lunch today was great overall. I did have some salmon on my salad, a side of roasted brussel sprouts... roasted in olive oil, hummus and pita bread. After skipping breakfast for lab draws and forgetting to take my protein shake I decided to just relax about it all and do the best I could. I was down a pound again this morning for a 3 lb weight loss this week. I did have two good walks and played tennis yesterday.

Milan - I added roasted vegetables to my salad last night and beans. I was fine. I think it was the raw cabbage that did me in.

Plan to bike ride tomorrow. Taking dogs to a corn maze on Sunday that allows dogs on leashes to go through! Have a great weekend everyone.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the lesions, Donna. My boss has the same thing. Glad you are getting them treated early. Lunch sound delicious. I could eat hummus and pita bread every day.

I feel a bit better this evening, didn't end up going to the office. I got up and had some toast and tea, then went back to bed for almost 7 hours! I don't feel so dizzy now and less stuffy. Going to do a little work this evening and back to bed early so I can get to the office tomorrow.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I hope the treatment isn't too uncomfortable, Donna! I have extremely fair skin but I've always burned so quickly that I avoid being out in the sun too much in the day and I have to wear sunscreen in the summer if I plan to be outside more than 10 minutes.

Sounds like you needed that rest Mihani. Have a nice herbal tea if that appeals before bed.

It's a beautiful sunny day here. Joe is mowing the lawn and I am going to get outside and see what I can get into. Tomorrow afternoon we're taking my parents to see The Simon & Garfunkel Story musical. It's supposed to be good and I know they'll recognize all or most of the songs.

More trees in our yard.
    fwsjfa7pf7lr.jpg
  • Mihani
    Options
    Wow, what a view Carla!! How was the S&G show? I love their music.

I felt pretty good today. Spent about 6 hours in the office. I don't feel like I got a lot done, but I cleared a couple piles of paper out. It's so never-ending! Brought home a couple things to work on and have a file to work for the guy I do freelance work for "in my spare time" ... it's not a big deal he almost never needs things done right away, but I've had this file for 3 weeks and starting to feel guilty for not looking at it lol. It probably won't take me more than a couple hours if I can just get started, my motivation is at a very low ebb right now though. That said, I'm off to work on it right now.
  • bisky
    Options
    Carla - I am enjoying autumn through your pictures. I miss the leaves changing. I do like this temperature in the 70's. We went on a 2 mile walk in the park this morning and then another bike ride this evening. How was the concert?

I have tried a lot of sunscreens including prescription sunscreens and I really like the Rodan Fields sun screen. I wear it daily...first thing I put on my face after washing it. Before using this, the top of my nose would break down and bleed in the summer when I was swimming and playing tennis.

Milan - I am sorry you have to work on the weekends. I love going back to bed to read or sleep...haven't done it in a long time but then I am not currently working.

I had hubby pick out a recipe from the ETL cookbook. He loves to cook and loves chickpeas so he is busy chopping up vegetables right now. He is making Persian Chickpea stew.
    I am going to try making hummus again. I bought some Tahini. I also picked up the B12 vitamins.

• Mihani
    Options
    Donna, I recall that Terri (she hasn't been around for a while but is an ETL star!) made the Persian Chickpea Stew a few times and recommended it. How did it turn out? I should revisit Dr. F's cookbook and try a few new things. I got kind of soured on his cookbook after several recipes didn't turn out very tasty, but that could just be my taste buds. I do remember liking the slow cooker eggplant breakfast recipe, should make that again.

I made it through 8 hours in the office but I'm whipped. Feel better but still a bit fatigued. I'm going to eat a light dinner, just salad with some beans and quinoa tossed in, and early to bed. Tomorrow I will be stuck late so I need to make sure I have energy reserves.

• bisky
    Options
    Milan - I thought the Persian Chickpea stew was okay...next time I would add more seasonings and butternut squash. I am going to make black bean sweet potato chili tonight. This is the recipe: https://cookieandkate.com/2011/sweet-potato-chili-recipe/. Skipping the sour cream garnish.

Brooks (my husband) is down 9lbs in 10 days on ETL. I know part of it is water weight but his beer belly shrunk 2.5". His PT test will be 3 weeks from now so he is very motivated...It is easier to do this with him on board.

B. berries & walnuts with almond milk
    L - Salad
    D- sweet potato chili

Happy Halloween!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    We really enjoyed the concert, and my parents did, too. I'm glad we bought the tickets and made ourselves get out of the house. After the concert Joe and I decided that we'd work on singing Sound of Silence together. Joe has a good voice and used to sing bass in the choir as a kid. I've never sung so I'm learning to sing on key haha! But we're both into it and enjoying it. We're just doing it for ourselves, but we'll probably play it for my parents at some point. Joe is going to play the guitar and I'm going to see if I can do a simple version on the keyboard.

I don't really care for Dr. F's recipes. All the ones that I have tried were bland. No question though, they are super healthy! My go-to's are the vegan richa and Molly Patrick's Clean food dirty girl recipes.
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I started to learn to play Sound of Silence on the guitar, but I haven't gotten very far with it yet. Definitely not recital worthy! :wink:

I agree that Dr F's recipes are bland. My go to is definitely OSG. I should branch out, though...

Swam 70 laps yesterday; had to cut it short because we went to look at 3 houses last night. 1 was a complete dump, we didn't even bother looking past the kitchen. It was a mess. The other 2 are very strong contenders. Both lovely. One is at the high end of our budget and maybe a little too big. Other one is more affordable but we'd have to finish the basement ourselves; it's not done yet. We would really love to just move in, but the bigger one doesn't leave me any money to buy furniture.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Donna, I wasn’t going to be negative about Dr. F’s cookbook since you are just starting out, but since Karrie and Carla have said it out loud, I’ll pile on and say that I don’t like the cookbook much lol. There are tons of great vegan recipes out there, and many are compliant if you just leave out the oil, so there it is. I am a big fan of Dr. F, but the recipes in the cookbook need so much tweaking to make them good that I don’t see the point. I feel guilty saying it though lol. Your husband is doing great! Impressive results so far!

Carla, glad you enjoyed the show. And how cool to work on a song together. You and Joe are so fun!

Karrie, 70 laps is awesome! Keeping good thoughts going your way for the house hunting.

Had a long day, secretary left early for some Halloween thing. I haven’t given out candy the past few years. I think I’m turning into a true curmudgeon, but also I don’t get a whole lot of kids and I got bored with it.

I am still struggling to keep myself on track not feeling well. I seem to be craving more starches for energy. I am feeling a lot better the past couple days though, so I think tomorrow I will put 100% effort into 100% ETL. Another early bedtime should help.

Oh, and my go-to websites for vegan recipes are ohsheglows.com/ and blog.fatfreevegan.com/. I also like Dreena Burton and Nava Atlas. Lately have been exploring Vegan Richa based on Carla's recommendation and the recipes look awesome. I just don't cook as much as I used to, so I stick to more simple prep and throwing together bowls.
  • bisky
    Options
    My husband and I like a lot of spice. Love Thai, Indian and Mexican food. The next day the Persian stew was not that great. Brooks gave it a thumb down even though he made it. I think using carrots for a soup base vs. Better than Boullion vegetarian was the problem. I made the vegetarian Sweet Potato Chili recipe tonight from a random web site and it was great!

Another fail at Trader Joe's from not reading the label. They had spiced pumpkin seeds and I thought it would be a savory taste...did not read the label...an impulse buy. Had them for a week and thought I would sprinkle a few on the salad I made to go with. Tried one, coated with sugar. :(

Bought Sour Patch candy for trick or treaters because I dislike them.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    As we're listing off all of these good websites, I'm realizing just how many great recipes we have available now! Donna, since you and your husband like a lot of spice and Indian food, definitely check out veganricha.com if you haven't yet.

70 laps is a short workout? Nice! I can't fathom (<-- :) ) that many laps. House hunting is fun yet stressful. We looked for so long that I really missed the planning and looking once we were finally done. That's how our realtor became a realtor. She loved the process and once she found her house she didn't want to stop looking! So now she looks on other people's behalf.

Mihani, that secretary is always taking off early or coming in late! Yeesh!
    When we lived in town, we turned off our lights on Halloween. We were in the right neighborhood for that I guess, because the whole street went dark, except for one lone house lit up like crazy. Now that we're here, there's not much chance of trick-or-treaters coming up our long driveway in the middle of nowhere. And if they did, they'd be sorely disappointed. I have Lara bars...they might not be too impressed with those, though!

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    ah shoot, and it's Nov 1. I didn't notice until I posted.