Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    @bannierooster flaxseed is a great fiber for a Keto diet. Also check out this link.

https://www.verywellfit.com/high-fiber-low-carb-food-list-2242216
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Please allow me to jump on this thread as I really need your encouragement. About 8 months ago I was introduced to Keto and enjoyed much success following posts from @KnitOrMiss and @fanncy0626; but I fell off the wagon getting ready for a Solo Art Exhibit and have gained all the weight back. Today is day One of trying it again.

Could you suggest Fiber options on this diet?
    Thanks!!

@bannierooster - Most of the time on Keto, you don't need fiber. Less food volume and slower digestion generally means that you go less often, so unless you are fully constipated for days and uncomfortable, etc. it is like that your body just needs to go less often. If you are eating any non-starchy veg, you're likely getting as much fiber as you need. Most folks find that fiber actually causes digestive upset. A few folks figure out that they can take it or leave it, and in my experience, even fewer find out they NEED fiber for digestion... But you need to experiment and see where you fall on this...
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    @fanncy0626. Yes, I have tried cooking keto for the family and ~ truth be told, my husband is a runner.

I thought that too, but I ran my marathon on keto and did just fine. I never hit the wall or "bonked" because the body can only store so much glycogen (what carbs turn into) and when you run out you are out. With a Keto diet the fat doesn't run out. It is not just stored in blood, it is stored in every cell and you don't run out of fuel. It was amazing. The best part was after the race I didn't have any inflammation. Keto has been proven to help with that too.

I highly suggest he read the book "The Art and Science of Low Carborhydrate Performance" by Drs Volek and Phinney. Or if he won't read it I suggest you read it or the first book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living." Both are excellent books and the performance book has real life athlete discussions and testimonies at the end. Very technical but tons of good information showing how it works.

But I know his mind-set. During my race people kept saying I'd be crawling across the finish line. Funny thing is some of the people that were telling me that finished well after me exhausted and I still had energy to keep going.

My biggest mistake my first race was not taking any carbs at all during the race, I kept my electrolytes up (the biggest common problem). I just didn't have any hunger for them and didn't need the energy. Energy was never a problem. I should have had at least a bite or two of those pumpkin pie snacks (okay, maybe that's just me craving the mini pies. lol) as After the race my blood-sugar got a bit low but a glass of orange juice set me straight and no problems. I was prepared for that the next race and had zero problems.

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    @fanncy0626. Yes, I have tried cooking keto for the family and ~ truth be told, my husband is a runner.

I thought that too, but I ran my marathon on keto and did just fine. I never hit the wall or "bonked" because the body can only store so much glycogen (what carbs turn into) and when you run out you are out. With a Keto diet the fat doesn't run out. It is not just stored in blood, it is stored in every cell and you don't run out of fuel. It was amazing. The best part was after the race I didn't have any inflammation. Keto has been proven to help with that too.

I highly suggest he read the book "The Art and Science of Low Carborhydrate Performance" by Drs Volek and Phinney. Or if he won't read it I suggest you read it or the first book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living." Both are excellent books and the performance book has real life athlete discussions and testimonies at the end. Very technical but tons of good information showing how it works.

But I know his mind-set. During my race people kept saying I'd be crawling across the finish line. Funny thing is some of the people that were telling me that finished well after me exhausted and I still had energy to keep going.

My biggest mistake my first race was not taking any carbs at all during the race, I kept my electrolytes up (the biggest common problem). I just didn't have any hunger for them and didn't need the energy. Energy was never a problem. I should have had at least a bite or two of those pumpkin pie snacks (okay, maybe that's just me craving the mini pies. lol) as After the race my blood-sugar got a bit low but a glass of orange juice set me straight and no problems. I was prepared for that the next race and had zero problems.

You’re preaching to the choir. I understand the benefits of keto which is why I continue to try to make it work for me. As for him, he has zero interest in giving up his beloved carbs. They don’t cause him trouble in terms of weight or performance and he likes them so there’s no incentive to give them up.

To be honest, this is not about him so I don’t try to convince him. Keto is a personal choice for me and I don’t want to force it on my husband and kids just because it’s what I want for myself.

That, and it’s not worth the $$ or effort it takes to prepare keto meals for a reluctant family.
  • Marcelynh
    edited February 2018
    Options
    They don’t cause him trouble in terms of weight or performance and he likes them so there’s no incentive to give them up.

To be honest, this is not about him so I don’t try to convince him. Keto is a personal choice for me and I don’t want to force it on my husband and kids just because it’s what I want for myself.

That, and it’s not worth the $$ or effort it takes to prepare keto meals for a reluctant family.

You are very smart in recognizing this and in not forcing him. Relationship is much more important. And I know how hard it is to convince children to eat something when one parent doesn't want to. We went years and years with not eating certain vegetables just because my husband would wrinkle his nose and say they were awful. Now that my kids are adults they've all tried them and are amazed at how delicious they are (uh, mom told you they were). lol But when they were growing up there was no convincing them.

I wish I had some answers for you, it might just be a case of reducing carbs and not being truly pure keto? In any case best wishes on your journey. And I truly do believe what I said, relationship is much more important than a way of eating in my book.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    They don’t cause him trouble in terms of weight or performance and he likes them so there’s no incentive to give them up.

You are very smart in recognizing this and in not forcing him. Relationship is much more important. And I know how hard it is to convince children to eat something when one parent doesn't want to. We went years and years with not eating certain vegetables just because my husband would wrinkle his nose and say they were awful. Now that my kids are adults they've all tried them and are amazed at how delicious they are (uh, mom told you they were). lol But when they were growing up there was no convincing them.

I wish I had some answers for you, it might just be a case of reducing carbs and not being truly pure keto? In any case best wishes on your journey. And I truly do believe what I said, relationship is much more important than a way of eating in my book.

Exactly! My husband actually gagged in front of the kids once when I served brussel sprouts years ago and he wouldn’t touch zucchini noodles so naturally now my kids think they hate them both.

He doesn’t stop me from doing it. He just doesn’t buy in and doesn’t pretend in front of the kids.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't have children at home but I haven't really changed how I cook for my husband and myself. I make a starch sidedish nearly every night and I just don't eat it. Tonight was homemade gravy and mashed potatoes. I eat the toppings only if we have pizza. I either put enchilada filling in a ramekin for me for baking or deconstruct the enchilada on my plate and eat the filling. With a stirfry, a portion goes on my plate and I dump the noodles in the rest. Tacos, I make a salad and skip the shells.

I don't know how low your trying to keep your carbs @4031isaiah but it really is pretty easy to fit real food into 50. Especially if you've been doing 20. At least that's been my experience. LCHF/keto to me really is about keeping hunger and cravings under control. I never had to be in ketosis to lose weight and ketosis does not directly cause weightloss. I really can't think of any food I have made differently. Well, maybe an occassional chicken and rice casserole where I cut the chicken in bigger chunks to make it easier for me to dig them out of the rice. ;)
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tracey and I've been on keto since July. I hit my goal weight of 130 last month and reversed my Type II diabetes after only three months on keto. I decided to go for another five pounds and so far, have gotten within 1.1 pounds of it before I had an epic cheat weekend and gained five pounds in three days. So I'm back on the wagon and I'm looking for keto friends on MFP. My only active MFP friend is my sister, and she doesn't do keto. I'd love to connect with others here, so please send me a friend request!

Welcome to the group Tracey. There is an awesome group of members here. I lurk for the most part; but I am active daily. My log is private only because most of my mfp friends are anti keto and anti intermittant fasting -- both of which I am trying to do. I wish you success with your goals and am glad you joined the group :)
  • Koso2006
    Koso2006 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Sorry I have not been around the past week. Getting over Influenza A (not Keto Flu) really has kept me down. I have basically gone to work and then come home and gone to bed. Food has just been whatever was convenient. I finally really have started to feel much better. I spent today doing food prep for the coming week so that I can get back on track. I thought I had done that last week, but it is just taking longer than I anticipated. Naps are a wonderful thing!!!!!
  • ElizabethAN2017
    Options
    Hi :) Can anyone recommend a good selection to eat at a Japanese Restaurant? I am either going tomorrow or sometime next week with my friend. The restaurant is called Sushi Sapporo in Riverview, NB. They have a facebook page and also have reviews online if anyone wants to look but I have no clue what would be considered keto on their menu. Suggestions would be appreciated :) I have lost 32.6 lbs so far (slow loss for me but still awesome) and want to keep things going in the right direction. Thanks so much :) They have a luncheon option with a Salmon steak but it comes on a tray with a big assortment of things which I am not sure are keto and I am new to sushi and Japanese food ... Lol. Thanks :)
  • ThreeLilBirdsFarm
    ThreeLilBirdsFarm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I started doing Keto almost 1 month ago. My family is mostly along for the ride.

I lack creativity with meal planning to begin with and am starting to feel bored (or completely overwhelmed when I visit Pinterest for ideas). I would love to have some Keto MFP friends to share with. Or, please share your favorite sites, blogs.
    Thanks!
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    Dinner tonight:
    Smoked pork baby back ribs (no sauce, just dry rub... they were awesome)
    sauteed asparagus with mashed avocado
    steamed riced cauliflower with butter
    tossed salad (mostly lettuce) with ranch dressing

It was a lovely dinner and I stayed under my 20g (net) of carbs!

I find I stay in keto if I plan. If I wait until the last minute to think of dinner I fail miserably.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    @Marcelynh your dinner sounds delicious! We had asparagus as well but with rotisserie chicken! My husband and I are easing our way back into Keto for the month of March. We generally eat Keto meals but have been enjoying the ripe fruits of our area so a little high in natural carbs. We do try to share a piece of fruit though!
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi :) Can anyone recommend a good selection to eat at a Japanese Restaurant? I am either going tomorrow or sometime next week with my friend. The restaurant is called Sushi Sapporo in Riverview, NB. They have a facebook page and also have reviews online if anyone wants to look but I have no clue what would be considered keto on their menu. Suggestions would be appreciated :) I have lost 32.6 lbs so far (slow loss for me but still awesome) and want to keep things going in the right direction. Thanks so much :) They have a luncheon option with a Salmon steak but it comes on a tray with a big assortment of things which I am not sure are keto and I am new to sushi and Japanese food ... Lol. Thanks :)

You have a few options like sashimi, which is just slices of raw fish, miso soup, seaweed salad and regular western salad. Avoid anything with "teriyaki" in the name as it is loaded with sugar. Also all rolls and sushi, unless labeled, are made with white rice and tempura with rice flour. Gyoza are dumplings made with a type of wonton wrapper. If in doubt of course just ask the server...hope this helps B)

• ElizabethAN2017
    Options
    pendennis wrote: »

You have a few options like sashimi, which is just slices of raw fish, miso soup, seaweed salad and regular western salad. Avoid anything with "teriyaki" in the name as it is loaded with sugar. Also all rolls and sushi, unless labeled, are made with white rice and tempura with rice flour. Gyoza are dumplings made with a type of wonton wrapper. If in doubt of course just ask the server...hope this helps B)

Thanks pendennis :) I really appreciate your help. We are going to hold off until next week due to a pending snowstorm today; and this really helps me so I can go over the menu. Again thanks :)
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Just a reminder to myself:
    even adding a few extra carbs on to my food plan with what are basically solid keto foods...leads to an instant overnight water retention of 2 lbs.

I need to remember this as I am so affected emotionally by these fluctuations.
    Even though I know it's not fat, it feels bad.

Carb creep is real! ...and so not worth it.
    Totally upping my logging game at the moment. Every bite counts!

Also, though I've been shooting for 6000 steps per day for a few weeks now...I'd say my average is about 5000 per day.
    This is still progress for me...but instead of upping it to 7000 for March as I'd planned, I'm sticking with and still shooting for a 6000 average before I up the tally.

I think key words of wisdom for me for 2018 are turning out to be:

Patience!
    Steady Eddy!
    Slow and steady wins the race.
    Be the turtle, not the hare.

Have a great day, pals.

Ugh! I hear ya on the carb creep. I had what might have been a minor lapse over the holidays for the average person but unfortunately for me, 2 months after the holidays and several attempts to get back on track, I am currently in the midst of a full on collapse that I just can’t seem to pull myself out of. Everyday begins as day one and ends with a promise to start again tomorrow... I just can’t seem to snap out of it.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, Christie! Just do one day at a time. It will happen. Winter is hard.
  • Koso2006
    Koso2006 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Oh My!!! I am having the same problem. I start the day out great, but by time evening comes, I am elbow deep in the junk and regretting it. I am determined to get back on track!!!
This discussion has been closed.