Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• MrAtlanta84
    MrAtlanta84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the keto lifestyle and am seeing results. My question is is it normal for your urine to smell strange? Is that a sign of ketosis?
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I would say yes.
  • sbryanthc
    sbryanthc Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey! I feel like I get on this keto kick then off it. But this time around I’ve had a heart to heart with myself and I need to just let go of sugar and snacks. It’s not even that I crave them it’s mostly because they’re convenient. But now I told myself my health is more important and letting those things go now will make me happy and possibly never crave them again if I remind myself how harmful they are to my body. Today is day two and because I ate way less than my goal calories yesterday I’m sure I can get in ketosis faster. Just need to up that water intake and stay below 20 carbs (which yesterday I only ate 10g of carbs and it was on 2 tbsp of ketchup!). Once I get in ketosis I want to eat healthy carbs like vegetables!! I’ll probably fill out the spreadsheet in December that way I’ll know that I stuck through it. I can’t be going back and forth anymore.
  • dottiedj
    dottiedj Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've done the low-carb/keto thing in spurts in the past when I wanted quick weight loss results but never stuck with it for any length of time. After reading the latest study about the impact of low-carb diets on metabolism, I've decided that maybe I need to get back on the bandwagon and stick with it. The truth is that I like the foods I get to eat on keto and I (almost) don't miss the other 'stuff'. So here I am back at it for the last 5 days and doing well. I do have one question for the group... should I limit carbs strictly to 20 grams per day or 20% of my total caloric intake? TIA
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    dottiedj wrote: »
    I've done the low-carb/keto thing in spurts in the past when I wanted quick weight loss results but never stuck with it for any length of time. After reading the latest study about the impact of low-carb diets on metabolism, I've decided that maybe I need to get back on the bandwagon and stick with it. The truth is that I like the foods I get to eat on keto and I (almost) don't miss the other 'stuff'. So here I am back at it for the last 5 days and doing well. I do have one question for the group... should I limit carbs strictly to 20 grams per day or 20% of my total caloric intake? TIA

Most people for keto use under 20 carbs or 5-10% of calories. Then there are people who just look at total carbs and others (like me) who use net carbs (which is total carbs minus the fiber.)
    People who are just low carb, not keto, often have higher carbs.
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving, my American friends! Today is only one day. Whether you choose to let loose or not, it's only one day and you'll be completely fine whichever way you decide to go. <3
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @sykin. same to you!
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    dottiedj wrote: »

Most people for keto use under 20 carbs or 5-10% of calories. Then there are people who just look at total carbs and others (like me) who use net carbs (which is total carbs minus the fiber.)
    People who are just low carb, not keto, often have higher carbs.

I find that if I make sure I am under 30 total via the app throughout the day, I usually am under or at my 20 net goal when I check with the script on my pc. Most days I’ll end at 20-25 total unless I add in something like a different protein shake, some string cheese post workout, a yogurt, or a low carb treat. 5% ended up being much easier than it seemed like in July.
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    4 months since my carpal tunnel had been an issue. Carb heavy days have wrecked that and brought back the numbness and weakness in my hands. This was the practical test I needed to find out if I could go back to a normal diet. A resounding “nope” is the answer. Now, I some muscle rub and naproxen.. as I am inflamed and sore.

The soreness is at least from my personal victory of 28 miles on the exercise bike last night.
  • ANbowen88
    ANbowen88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing keto/low carb eating since June 2018, I decided to focus on healing gut issues , inflammation and IBS symptoms for a better health and loss weight for my heart health and my family they need me around longer.

I do have weight loss goals that I want to get back to so I’m back in for December.

Starting weight 204
    Current weight 190.5
    Goal weight 130-135

Sunday 12/02
    Sunday 12/09
    Sunday 12/16
    Sunday 12/23
    Sunday 12/30
  • zanyterp
    edited November 2018
    Options
    while i am glad i do not have some of the issues others have described, i think i have found what happens when i go carb crazy (at least at night): GERD/heart burn. i haven't felt that bad in a long time…at least i made it through thanksgiving without that. i know what happened and not sure how i am going to avoid it going forward). going to be rough going for a bit; but i should be able to wait to eat most/all of my carbs (and some) for dinner.
  • sbryanthc
    sbryanthc Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    @zanyterp — I indulged in a little more carbs than I’m used to. And I had major heartburn and could not sleep! I’m thankful though because that is what made me get back on my keto horse and not quit due to one little fall. The awesome news is I only gained 0.2 lbs from that carb overload. Granted it wasn’t an all out cheat day but it sure felt like it. Now I’m back to watching my carbs.
  • zanyterp
    Options
    @sbryanthc sorry you couldn't sleep; i agree on not wanting to quit. i didn't realize just how quickly the negative impact of eating so many carbs at a time would hit me. i have done over the 20-25g I have been averaging in the evenings a couple times for special occasions. but an all-out-carb-pre-keto style, that was the first day in almost four months. and o_O ouch

@Everyonelies yay!
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started my day today with a lunch of roast chicken. Mucked up on the gravy some. Didn't realise you need to skim the fat off meat juices, so ended up with 500kcal over plan. So second meal of day was cancelled.

About an hour or so later, I noticed my female cockatiel wasn't very well. She's been laying eggs the past month, on and off. There was a fresh egg at the bottom of the cage instead of her nest, so I couldn't see her being egg bound. But she was weak, wings down, bad balance, shivering and there was swelling near the vent. Worried last lay injured her internally in some way. Went to emergency avian vet who suspected egg bound. Don't understand why there would be another egg so soon, but 2 avian vets checked her and came to this conclusion.
    Given injections for calcium and to help push. But the prospects aren't good. She's home with me now, but if she doesn't lay and gets worse, it'll be a put down. She's such a sweet bird and I love her. Don't want to lose her.

I really wanted to just go on a sweet binge, but instead brought a pack of *kitten* (haven't had a cig in 2 years), and a bottle of vodka. After 7 shots on empty stomach and not feeling anything (why is my liver so efficient? Thought keto made you more susceptible), I had 7 pieces of dark chocolate and 40g of mixed nuts. It went over my limit for the day but I'm too upset to care really. At least I measured it and didn't have more.
    If she end's up dying I may go on a cheat day or more for comfort. I really hope she gets better.
  • gingerella727
    gingerella727 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bethdrc wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I’m just starting Keto today. I bumped into a friend earlier in the week, she looked amazing and told me she lost 35 lbs doing Keto. I have tendencies toward diabetes - it runs in my family and I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies - so I think low carb will be good for me. I recently injured my knee and haven’t been exercising much so I’m putting on weight which is getting me down. Hoping Keto will help and I’m going to try to fit in more moderate exercise, also will be starting physical therapy for my knee. Thanks everyone!

I am exactly the same as you! GD with two kids, diabetes in the family, can't get to the gym right now (baby's too little), and I'm in say 6 of keto and LOVING IT. I feel different (maybe it's just mental, who knows) and I have already dropped 8lbs (probably mostly water weight, as they say, but it's a start). I have another 20 that I'd like to lose and I can't see it NOT happening now. You got this!!
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    bethdrc wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I’m just starting Keto today. I bumped into a friend earlier in the week, she looked amazing and told me she lost 35 lbs doing Keto. I have tendencies toward diabetes - it runs in my family and I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies - so I think low carb will be good for me. I recently injured my knee and haven’t been exercising much so I’m putting on weight which is getting me down. Hoping Keto will help and I’m going to try to fit in more moderate exercise, also will be starting physical therapy for my knee. Thanks everyone!

I am exactly the same as you! GD with two kids, diabetes in the family, can't get to the gym right now (baby's too little), and I'm in say 6 of keto and LOVING IT. I feel different (maybe it's just mental, who knows) and I have already dropped 8lbs (probably mostly water weight, as they say, but it's a start). I have another 20 that I'd like to lose and I can't see it NOT happening now. You got this!!

You know, I started keto for the weight loss claims everyone made/makes. I'm staying keto because I have never felt better as an adult than I do now. Now blood sugar issues, slow burning candle of energy for days. I can skip meals for much longer without getting low blood sugar (today I went until 3pm, that's abnormal for me compared to before keto). It's just a better way of living, for me at least. The initial weight loss was attractive, but once it evens out, it feels almost too easy to keep losing weight on keto. It's a good excuse to eat some nicer cuts of meats, cheeses, and try new items you might not ever have elsewise.

As to the feeling better. It could be placebic in nature, or you could be feeling better from the diet. Inflammation reduction, starting to hit ketosis, etc. Either way, it only gets better. Once you're fat adapted.. life is just good. Friday was day 145 for me, with 70lbs down. November was a month full of testing that saw me only lose 6lbs or so overall, but even that is a really dang good month, eh? Keto isn't playing around.

Anywho, figured I'd drop in and say heeeeeyo to everyone else. Hope y'all are having a good day, or at least a manageable one. I'm gonna get my new bed setup and have a low carb chocolate bar with dinner. I'm gonna enjoy both as well.
  • Viciousdoggie
    Viciousdoggie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5. Only lost 2 lbs, 55 to go. I may need a better scale. What does everyone else use?
  • CentaurusSoter
    Options
    I'm on day 5. Only lost 2 lbs, 55 to go. I may need a better scale. What does everyone else use?

A health o meter I bought years ago. Almost 73lbs later, my superstitious peasant side is nervous to change it.

Give the weight loss time. Keto isn’t a get slim quick scheme. First few weeks seem to have the lost loss from fluid weights. After that, you are likely in ketosis and getting fat adapted, which makes keto easy mode to live on.

Day 150 tomorrow, keto and calorie counting works. Well, assuming you make sure to stay in a calorie deficit of course.. eat 3000 calories and expend 2000, you’re gonna have a bad time.
This discussion has been closed.