Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• p1nks0da
    p1nks0da Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just (re)started keto today! I did it in September for a couple weeks, but the rosacea on my face started flaring up really badly and so I changed my diet back just in case that was the culprit. I'm not sure if keto caused it (or if it can even affect it), but I went back to the dermatologist last week and got new medication and my face has cleared up completely.

I also have horrible GERD and am hoping this lifestyle change will help me stop clearing my throat consistently.

Looking to get back on track (and lose some weight before my wedding next year)! Excited to be a part of this group and find inspiration while holding myself accountable. :smile:
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Day 16. Gained a pound. Last week I was eating over my calories. This week, counting the weekend, I am barely getting the required ones in.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @p1nks0da: congrats on the wedding & hope all goes well!
    @Everyonelies: :'( sometimes that is hard to hit. when you refer to "required ones" are you talking about the minimum guidance for all people OR in MFP?
  • p1nks0da
    p1nks0da Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @zanyterp thank you!

checking in... yesterday went okay, I didn't weigh myself for a starting weight in the morning because I was too afraid to step on the scale after 2 weeks of eating and eating. food went pretty well, although I still had the urge to snack all day long, so I did to an extent (but only on keto-friendly foods).
    Day 2... I stepped on the scale this morning and wasn't as disappointed as I expected. while I won't let myself get attached to the number it shows, at least I know where I began. had a keto casserole for breakfast this morning. hoping to start feeling more full this week and maybe start IF next week.

I'm going wedding dress shopping next week and am dreading it.
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »
    @p1nks0da: congrats on the wedding & hope all goes well!
    @Everyonelies: :'( sometimes that is hard to hit. when you refer to "required ones" are you talking about the minimum guidance for all people OR in MFP?

@zanyterp I mean the 1400 for me on MFP...
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    Day 17... I lost the lb gained yesterday! lol

I have been feeling a low grade fever the last few days...some articles online state that it can be related to the keto flu...this is my third week on it...first week I was foggy, last week I was fine...can it possibly be back?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

I have been feeling a low grade fever the last few days...some articles online state that it can be related to the keto flu...this is my third week on it...first week I was foggy, last week I was fine...can it possibly be back?

My experience with keto was that I needed to keep my sodium intake up for the duration. "Keto flu" is an electrolyte imbalance created from limiting carbohydrate intake so if you're eating keto level of of carbs you need keto level sodium intake ( generally suggested to be 3000-5000 mg of sodium) because you're likely to shed water creating the electrolyte imbalance.
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

My experience with keto was that I needed to keep my sodium intake up for the duration. "Keto flu" is an electrolyte imbalance created from limiting carbohydrate intake so if you're eating keto level of of carbs you need keto level sodium intake ( generally suggested to be 3000-5000 mg of sodium) because you're likely to shed water creating the electrolyte imbalance.

I have been taking magnesium and salting my food...I thought it would help...
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yes on the electrolytes! Logging my sodium and potassium helps me to stay on top of it (keep in mind that many labels do not include potassium because it is not required on labels), along with taking a magnesium supplement. Keto flu can happen at any time in the process if your electrolytes are not where they should be. 3000-5000mg of sodium is recommended - but only if you are staying true to keto - if you are not, that is way too much sodium to consume!
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I felt off the wagon for the past couple of weeks and have been trying to get back on it. It is not easy especially when not tracking but I am starting to get back.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    d_dc_lady wrote: »
    Hi all. I've been away for a month or so, and in that time I have managed to regain 10 of the 11 pounds I worked so hard to lose. It sucks, but I am getting back to basics and hoping that some of those 10 lbs will be gone quickly in a good "whoosh" as I kick start my body back into ketosis. Not only do I feel crappy in my body and hate how my clothes fit, but I also just feel sluggish, am experiencing trouble sleeping (which I didn't have on keto), and feel hungry all the time. The benefits of this lifestyle go beyond the weight loss and I am trying to remind myself of that as I resume my journey.

I'm with ya. Back after 3 months away and about 20 lbs gained. I think it'll be mostly water weight for both of us though, as carbs cause water retention.

I look forward to the reduced hunger and reduced aches and increased energy I know comes with eliminating sugar & grains :)
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I’ve been feeling a bit like the prodigal daughter myself lately! I finally recommitted and have been 0 carb since October 1. It’s the most focused I’ve ever been and the longest I’ve ever gone with absolutely no cheats.

I’ve got 50-60lbs to lose and am determined to get there this time!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I’ve been feeling a bit like the prodigal daughter myself lately! I finally recommitted and have been 0 carb since October 1. It’s the most focused I’ve ever been and the longest I’ve ever gone with absolutely no cheats.

Yay!! Nice to see you. I'm aiming for 45ish lbs... We can do this!
  • shortnsassy422
    shortnsassy422 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My family & I started keto last month & love it! I just joined this group today, looking to connect with others who live the same lifestyle.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

Yay!! Nice to see you. I'm aiming for 45ish lbs... We can do this!

Nice to see you as well! And yes, we CAN do this! I hope to be down 20lbs by year’s end.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    My family & I started keto last month & love it! I just joined this group today, looking to connect with others who live the same lifestyle.

Welcome! It’s so great that your whole family is doing it with you. Life would be so much easier if I could get my family on board!
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Keto is the only lifestyle that works for me. I keep going on and off the wagon. I just wish I could control my eating. My food addiction is intense. I have been trying to lose the same 20 pounds for 5 years. I always lose about half of what I need to and then yo-yo right back to where I started. I have tried everything under the sun to get control of myself, and sometimes my self loathing and lack of willpower can really put me in a depressive state. With keto I have energy and my mind is clearer and I feel better. I obviously have a lot of underlying issues with food that need addressing, but I just wish my determination would extend to longer than half a day....
  • Everyonelies
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Day 24-
    My scale is stupid and my body is weird.
    According to my scale, I have been gaining a lb everyday since Sunday. I have been eating withing my calories/macros almost every day. I have been going over in protein, which seems to be the ongoing recommendation and my net carbs have remained below 20g. I have been drinking 3-4L of water a day, plus my Powerade Zero with salt to get out of the keto flu. I have also been working out at least 5 days a week, cardio and weight training. My keto sticks show me going towards the middle colors, no longer in the deep purple, more of a mauve.

I still feel tired at times. My belly seems to be going down a bit, but I feel icky. Not hungry, sometimes a little dizzy. I feel a bit more energized at the gym in the mornings, but by mid-day I hit a slump that lasts a few hours. I was sleeping great the first week on keto, now I seem to be waking up more in the middle of the night.

I am sticking to it, knowing the benefits are there, just a little disappointed that all these little nuisances are going on...
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Dr Berg and Dr Berry on yourube both say to be careful of drinking too much water because youre peeing out your electrolytes. Both reccomended drinking only when thirsty. Or you could up you salt? Less plain water, more Powerade?
This discussion has been closed.