Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    jamndyl wrote: »
    Hi guys, still doing well since starting on 12/19...aside from one cheat day after the holidays, go figure lol.

Question: Has anyone experienced lack of sleep? I have become a bit of an insomniac, I have so much energy from 11pm until about 1, sometimes 2 am. I hear people need less sleep on keto, but I feel like I'm not getting enough. I'm up around 4 or 5am and that's just not enough rest time for me. In addition to keeping up with my electrolytes meticulously, I have added extra magnesium through Epsom salt soaks (with lavender oil) , I tried mini carb ups (extra berries and Greek yogurt, small amount of beans), per recommendations of a Keto blog I read, but nothing is working. I really don't want to give this up, but I NEED sleep.

For the first few months of keto my sleep was disrupted, big time. I felt like I could run a marathon at midnight! Haha. I increased my magnesium and, when desperate, took melatonin to help sleep. I'm 7 months in now and sleep like a rock every night, no sleep aids needed... so it did balance out!
  • __Roxy__
    Options
    sbryanthc wrote: »
    Hi just joined. I like the idea of a weekly weigh in and even more this daily check in. Today I almost caved even though I’m in ketosis. I wasn’t hungry, but I still craved french fries because my husband was eating them. I am so glad I didn’t cuz now that they’re out of sight they’re out of mind. I started keto for the 3rd time on Dec 23rd and I’ve been super strict with it. No cheat days or cheat meals like I had in the past. And I always stay at 70% fat intake. My carbs are usually under 20g only once I had 26g. I started at 167 and already am at 153 lbs. I’m going to start working out next weekend. Currently I don’t even walk. I’m 5’6” female, 27 years old. My goal weight is 132, probably higher once I start putting on muscle from working out. My lowest ever was when I was 19 at 128 lbs, I was ripped, but that was before I had kids. So I don’t expect to go near that weight fully ripped.
    My question is, is it healthy to only eat an average of 1,000 calories a day? I don’t do it on purpose, but now that I’m in ketosis I just don’t feel hungry.

MFP won't let you close your diary at less than 1000 calories, but it is common to not feel hungry with keto. I say, eat only when you're hungry! Make sure you eat nutrient rich, quality food though so that if you're eating less, your body is still getting what it needs. Lots of people practice intermittent fasting, where you eat all your calories inside a smaller window of time (8hrs, 6hrs, 4hrs, or one meal a day). Check it out if you're simply not feeling hungry most of the time.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    You'll probably be fine at 1000. You probably won't be dieting long given how little you have to lose. Eat nutritionally dense as mentioned above. If you get hungry, eat. Keto food.
  • sbryanthc
    sbryanthc Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I am already doing the intermittent fasting without knowing it. I log my foods by time of when I eat them and I go 10-15 hrs between dinner and breakfast. I do eat bell peppers everyday. I love strawberries, but I feel I would have no self control due to how sweet and yummy they are. I eat eggs and chicken a lot too.
    I made my food diary public. I did notice I couldn’t post under 1,000 calories one day so I put a fake item and zeroed everything. But since then I try to eat over 1,000 cal.
    I guess the amount I eat will be a hurdle to cross when I need to maintain weight on keto. Right now it’s working since I’m losing weight and still have tons of energy.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Nothing happens if you don't "complete" your diary. I haven't hit the complete button for a couple years and prior to that I had changed my settings so it doesn't announce completion to my newsfeed if I happen to hit complete to see what sort of 5 week projection it might provide. All 1600 plus days are still in my food diary.
  • jamndyl
    jamndyl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    jamndyl wrote: »
    Hi guys, still doing well since starting on 12/19...aside from one cheat day after the holidays, go figure lol.

Question: Has anyone experienced lack of sleep? I have become a bit of an insomniac, I have so much energy from 11pm until about 1, sometimes 2 am. I hear people need less sleep on keto, but I feel like I'm not getting enough. I'm up around 4 or 5am and that's just not enough rest time for me. In addition to keeping up with my electrolytes meticulously, I have added extra magnesium through Epsom salt soaks (with lavender oil) , I tried mini carb ups (extra berries and Greek yogurt, small amount of beans), per recommendations of a Keto blog I read, but nothing is working. I really don't want to give this up, but I NEED sleep.

For the first few months of keto my sleep was disrupted, big time. I felt like I could run a marathon at midnight! Haha. I increased my magnesium and, when desperate, took melatonin to help sleep. I'm 7 months in now and sleep like a rock every night, no sleep aids needed... so it did balance out!

This is very reassuring. I will try to add more magnesium, as my digestive system allows and hope for the best. I had a cheat day with plenty of carbs yesterday and sleep was even worse, so lesson learned! Back on the horse today.
  • Koso2006
    Koso2006 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! Really liking the awesome support you guys have for each other! I would like to jump in and join you. This thread is so uplifting and positive. Just what we all need to stick to our plans.

Went off track last night, but jumped right back on this morning. Got my workout done and am currently working on laundry and food prep for the coming week. Supper is in the crockpot and my crazy boys are playing Minecraft. The cats have the best idea though...laying in the sun coming in the window.

Have a great "on plan" day everyone!!!
  • Koso2006
    Options
    Good Morning everyone. Getting ready to get my day going. Yesterday was great! Stayed within my ranges, got my water in, exercised, got food prepped for the coming week.

The plan for today is workout, church, and then sit in front of the fire watching the snow come down. We are supposed to be getting some snow and possibly freezing rain today, so a movie marathon it is.

Have a great day!!!
  • LynnCowburn
    LynnCowburn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I'm new to this group. I'm not really considered new to this WOE or MFP. I started this WOE on Oct 1st 2017 and have been on MFP since 2012. I'm embarrassed to say up until last week I didn't know there was entire community here. The community option doesn't show up on the menu unless I scroll to the bottom.

I found out 2 years ago after having gained over 40lbs that I have throid issues along with other horemone issues and have not been successful in losing the extra pounds until KETO.

I would love to have some friends here to share and support. So please friend me.

Have a great day everyone!
  • __Roxy__
    Options
    Ugh. I tweaked my back yesterday while cleaning the bathtub. It hurts to lay down and also to stand. It might be a sitting day for me!
    I woke up this morning to a loud crash, the cats had knocked one of my houseplants into said bathtub... so now I have to clean up the dirt and shattered plant pot. I haven't done it yet because I'm waiting for the pain killers to set in :disappointed:

My hilarious partner gave me that friendly little reminder that we're gettin old :love: :lol:
  • sbryanthc
    sbryanthc Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I almost caved in today. But a grilled chicken cesar salad from Zaxby’s with two packets of cesar dressing satisfied my fast food crave. I think it’s because the scale went up two pounds and I’m feeling discouraged.

River_Goddess, it’s crazy how simple things that wouldn’t have “hurt” us when we were younger causes us so much pain now lol Picking something up the wrong way or making a jerk movement anything simple really. Hope your back feels better.
  • __Roxy__
    Options

Chicken Caesar salad (no croutons) is a staple food for me. I love it!! I understand feeling discouraged by the scale and having it lead to snacking or over eating. Stay strong!! You did great with the chicken caesar. I hope it was tasty :)
  • Koso2006
    Options
    Good Morning all!!! Getting ready to head out the door to work a bit early. Roads are supposed to be icy this morning, so I figured I would give myself a bit of extra time, just in case.

Morning exercise is done. Will try to walk 15 minutes at lunch and then another 15 minutes this evening. Food is packed for breakfast and lunch and a snack (just in case).

Have a great day everyone!
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah I tried to stay in ketosis over the holidays but I put all the weight back on that I lost the previous two weeks. Since Jan 1 I have taken it back off and hopefully will not have keto breath as bad this time around. I did learn that I cannot consume as much nuts as I would like because they had more carbs than I realized. Corrected.
  • Koso2006
    Options
    Good Morning. Getting ready to do my morning walking workout. Didn't get the lunch or evening walk in yesterday...think I have caught a cold. Carrying a box of kleenex with me wherever I go!!

Have a great day!!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I started keto back up January 2nd. I've done it before and let excuses get in the way. But I miss the way I felt and slept while doing it. I'm down 10 lbs and can't wait to lose the remaining 60. I'm at my highest weight and cannot stand it. I'll be looking to keto threads for ideas and support!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    My back is still bothering me a bit so no exercise here but I’ve been good with my logging. I’m hoping to see a nice kiss next weigh in (Monday).
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I just put a note next to the handle on the fridge door:

"It's not about the food."

Wish I could get that into my head for good.
This discussion has been closed.