Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Replies

• fifiman
    fifiman Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2018
    @fifiman Sounds like you are doing well. It's an idea to break it down with smaller goals, like under 250, then possibly 230 etc as it always seems much more attainable and less of a task when you can really see an end in sight. Then you just set your next goal. It's all about achievement. o:)

Thanks for the idea, but I like thinking big picture. I don't really mind having a long road ahead of me. Having small goals isn't as motivating for me.

Edit: Although, I have been thinking about rewarding myself with my first tattoo when I get under 200. I guess getting under 200 is my mini goal for now. It would be such a huge thing for me, since I haven't been under 200 in about 5 years. Thanks
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Just want to say thank you @KnitOrMiss. The l-theanine seems to have done the trick. I still wake up but fall back asleep easier for sure now. No more zombie at work! Nightly ritual is now my melatonin 5-htp pill, magnesium potassium pill, and l-theanine.

Scale finally dropped again after 3 weeks of nothing. Only 3 lbs despite eating clean and staying under calories most days, but it went down so I'll take it and run!! I've given up on time tables and such. It'll come off when my body is ready I guess and what exactly do I have to hurry for? It'd be nice to lose more than 3 lbs a month, but oh well.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    @chaoticdreams It's great to loose 3lbs a month and much much better than putting that on!! :D
  • chinatowninchina
    fifiman wrote: »
    @fifiman Sounds like you are doing well. It's an idea to break it down with smaller goals, like under 250, then possibly 230 etc as it always seems much more attainable and less of a task when you can really see an end in sight. Then you just set your next goal. It's all about achievement. o:)

Thanks for the idea, but I like thinking big picture. I don't really mind having a long road ahead of me. Having small goals isn't as motivating for me.

Edit: Although, I have been thinking about rewarding myself with my first tattoo when I get under 200. I guess getting under 200 is my mini goal for now. It would be such a huge thing for me, since I haven't been under 200 in about 5 years. Thanks

Start planning that tattoo!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    It seems to have the opposite affect on me. I actually sleep better on keto.

I get really weird dreams but I definitely sleep much much better on keto! Downside is I have to get up at least once a night to tinkle where as I didn't have to do that before. But I suppose it's a good thing!

What if you tried cutting off your fluid intake earlier? Could that reduce your sleep interruptions?

Please don't cut off your fluid intake earlier! This is a huge mistake a lot of people try that increases stroke risks! Please don't do it unless you absolutely have to. If you're just waking to urinate, keep lights dim or off, use a non-blue light nightlight, and don't do anything but urinate and go right back to bed... Should make it easier to get right back to sleep...
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited January 2018
    Just want to say thank you @KnitOrMiss. The l-theanine seems to have done the trick. I still wake up but fall back asleep easier for sure now. No more zombie at work! Nightly ritual is now my melatonin 5-htp pill, magnesium potassium pill, and l-theanine.

Scale finally dropped again after 3 weeks of nothing. Only 3 lbs despite eating clean and staying under calories most days, but it went down so I'll take it and run!! I've given up on time tables and such. It'll come off when my body is ready I guess and what exactly do I have to hurry for? It'd be nice to lose more than 3 lbs a month, but oh well.

@chaoticdreams - You're welcome, but the thanks actually go to my former PCP from before I moved! She's all about doing as much naturally as possible, and she had me use L-theanine! :)

Let's hope with more and better quality sleep (No more Zombies, please!) that the weight will start coming off better again!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    It seems to have the opposite affect on me. I actually sleep better on keto.

I get really weird dreams but I definitely sleep much much better on keto! Downside is I have to get up at least once a night to tinkle where as I didn't have to do that before. But I suppose it's a good thing!

What if you tried cutting off your fluid intake earlier? Could that reduce your sleep interruptions?

Please don't cut off your fluid intake earlier! This is a huge mistake a lot of people try that increases stroke risks! Please don't do it unless you absolutely have to. If you're just waking to urinate, keep lights dim or off, use a non-blue light nightlight, and don't do anything but urinate and go right back to bed... Should make it easier to get right back to sleep...

Just to clarify: by cutting off your fluid intake earlier, I meant, like, if you go to bed at 10pm, not drinking after 8pm or something like that. This is something I need to do for myself because I love a nice herbal tea before bed. It relaxes me and helps me fall asleep, then it backfires when I wake up at 2am to pee.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Not to be morbid or seem to exaggerate, but I'd rather wake up at 2 am to pee than not wake up. At my age and knowing the damage I did to my body for 20 years, this is a real risk factor for me, personally.

I tend to drink at least 8 oz of water, sometimes with sea salt, right before bed...at least 30-60 minutes after eating, right before going to sleep. I have to worry more about having too much liquid after a meal making my bile float far more than drinking water and going to bed...

To each his/her own. <3
  • 4031isaiah
    Not to be morbid or seem to exaggerate, but I'd rather wake up at 2 am to pee than not wake up. At my age and knowing the damage I did to my body for 20 years, this is a real risk factor for me, personally.

I tend to drink at least 8 oz of water, sometimes with sea salt, right before bed...at least 30-60 minutes after eating, right before going to sleep. I have to worry more about having too much liquid after a meal making my bile float far more than drinking water and going to bed...

To each his/her own. <3

Are you suggesting that even if you’ve tracked your fluid intake and had a sufficient amount throughout the day, one would risk stroke or death if they don’t drink more before bed to avoid waking up to pee?

I’m not challenging you, I’m just trying to have a clear understanding of what you are saying.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Holy moly, I am tired today. I overslept to the point that I had to drive to work, which removed 20 mins of exercise out of my day. I will have to make up for it somewhere!! Perhaps I'll hit the gym on the way home... or do a couple laps around the block tonight. Sighhhh zZZzz
  • KnitOrMiss

To each his/her own. <3

Are you suggesting that even if you’ve tracked your fluid intake and had a sufficient amount throughout the day, one would risk stroke or death if they don’t drink more before bed to avoid waking up to pee?

I’m not challenging you, I’m just trying to have a clear understanding of what you are saying.

I didn't mean to suggest anything in particular. I tend to think very logically, and sometimes when I state things from an impassioned position with regard to my own health, it unintentionally comes across as lecturing, fear-mongering, or histrionics towards others and their own health. I do apologize. Thank you for letting me know that I was getting overly intense without proper context.

I have read numerous articles about the increased risks of suffering a stroke during episodes of dehydration, BUT...

If you're always well hydrated and don't ever have a marked change in the color of your urine (one of the easiest indicators of dehydration if you're not on excreting meds), you're probably safe. I, personally, struggle sometimes with significant changes in my urine color, moving 3 or more stages in the dehydration scale at different times. So for me, perhaps more than most people, I really have to make sure I get fluids before bed, because the latter half of my day leaves me less hydrated than the first half of my day...

Older folks also tend to have more dehydration - and intentionally restrict fluids in the evenings, or after 4 pm or even noon for some I've heard of!! - and so the risk is increased for them... I will have to go and find the articles. I don't remember what all the risk factors that influence this effect, aside from dehydration, but I'll do some research and get back with you...

But I would imagine that if you are well-hydrated, and don't wake up with excessive dry mouth or anything, your risks are likely not elevated...but again, that is just an opinion...

I am sorry to have come off aggressively or over-bearing. Please call me on it if I come across that way in the future. I can assure you, it is not intentional. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    I don't have an attached bathroom so it's mildly inconvenient for middle of the night bathroom trips but I really don't mind. I'd rather have plenty of water throughout the day and just deal with it :)
  • 4031isaiah
    edited January 2018
    I don't have an attached bathroom so it's mildly inconvenient for middle of the night bathroom trips but I really don't mind. I'd rather have plenty of water throughout the day and just deal with it :)

Plenty of water “THROUGHOUT THE DAY” is exactly what I meant. I didn’t say to cut down on your fluid intake. I was simply asking if you had considered finishing drinking all of your water for the day a little earlier to give your body a chance to process it while you’re still awake.
  • BulletProofSkim
    BulletProofSkim Posts: 83 Member
    (changed my profile name)
    Keto 8 days, doing really well. Had an urge last night to have something crunchy so I made crispy bacon and eggs for dinner - was awesome!
  • chinatowninchina

To each his/her own. <3

I didn't mean to suggest anything in particular. I tend to think very logically, and sometimes when I state things from an impassioned position with regard to my own health, it unintentionally comes across as lecturing, fear-mongering, or histrionics towards others and their own health. I do apologize. Thank you for letting me know that I was getting overly intense without proper context.

I have read numerous articles about the increased risks of suffering a stroke during episodes of dehydration, BUT...

If you're always well hydrated and don't ever have a marked change in the color of your urine (one of the easiest indicators of dehydration if you're not on excreting meds), you're probably safe. I, personally, struggle sometimes with significant changes in my urine color, moving 3 or more stages in the dehydration scale at different times. So for me, perhaps more than most people, I really have to make sure I get fluids before bed, because the latter half of my day leaves me less hydrated than the first half of my day...

Older folks also tend to have more dehydration - and intentionally restrict fluids in the evenings, or after 4 pm or even noon for some I've heard of!! - and so the risk is increased for them... I will have to go and find the articles. I don't remember what all the risk factors that influence this effect, aside from dehydration, but I'll do some research and get back with you...

But I would imagine that if you are well-hydrated, and don't wake up with excessive dry mouth or anything, your risks are likely not elevated...but again, that is just an opinion...

I am sorry to have come off aggressively or over-bearing. Please call me on it if I come across that way in the future. I can assure you, it is not intentional. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Generally I think you come over as concerned and helpful, as anyone seeing your regular posts will know <3<3
  • chinatowninchina
    (changed my profile name)
    Keto 8 days, doing really well. Had an urge last night to have something crunchy so I made crispy bacon and eggs for dinner - was awesome!

Your name, your name!! Gone is the skinny milk welcome to keto!! :):)
  • 4031isaiah

To each his/her own. <3

Generally I think you come over as concerned and helpful, as anyone seeing your regular posts will know <3<3

Agreed! @KnitOrMiss no need to apologize. It is clear that (as is always the case), you were just offering what you believe to be helpful advice. That’s why I wanted to be clear that I wasn’t challenging you, I just wanted to understand what you were saying because I’d not heard anything like that before.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I don't always remember to add after my posts that I'm not a medical professional, that my suggestions should ALWAYS be researched and discussed with a person's medical team, that my information comes from my own experiences and those on this journey with me, or the research of more intelligent researchers!

I'm glad to see that y'all seem to "get" me...

But anyone who struggles with overall hydration (like me) but also suffers from digestive issues (like me) that again limit water consumption at once combined with the tendency to not "sip" water off and on, but to take large drinks at a time, then nothing for a while (SO ME), it will always be somewhat of a struggle to stay hydrated... Especially when compounded by medications that cause dehydration or have diarrhea as a side effect (again, ME and ME!)...

I know that my particular...bucket of troubles(?) does not match up to most people... When I was using my water app more often, I discovered that I did over 50% of my water consumption BEFORE LUNCH. So by dinner, I'm generally already getting low on fluid intake...but with the way my bile levels are, I can't generally have much water before a meal, during the meal (like hardly AT ALL), and definitely not after the meal. A good guzzle even an hour or 2 after dinner can trigger massive heartburn for me via floating bile rising to top of digestion system... So I have to carefully time any evening intake. Intentionally restricting that on top of my wacky bodily reactions would just be a bad idea FOR ME.

I know that this does not necessarily fit many folks, or definitely not all of them...so this is the compounding set of factors some of us (ME) face.
  • fifiman
    fifiman Posts: 34 Member
    Had an awesome dinner tonight - an entire avocado, a bunch of spinach, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, garlic hummus, and three eggs all piled on top of each other with lime juice sprinkled all over it. So good!
  • 4031isaiah
    fifiman wrote: »
    Had an awesome dinner tonight - an entire avocado, a bunch of spinach, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, garlic hummus, and three eggs all piled on top of each other with lime juice sprinkled all over it. So good!

Yum!!! I love all of those things and they sound delicious together. I’m still focusing on 0 carb to get my digestive system back in order so I couldn’t eat that but it does sound great!
This discussion has been closed.