The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi BAMFs.

Today was B session:

Squats - bodyweight again, but going ATG and didn't hurt so much. Had more control while lowering, which is the goal for deloading all the weights

OHP - the bar for 2 x5, 22.5kg for 1x4, then the bar again for 2x5. Next time I'll try adding 1 rep to each set rather than add weight. These are HARD!

DL - tried for 65 kg but couldn't lift it. Dropped to 62.5, gave an almighty groan and got that b*st*rd off the ground! Did this 5 times, so I'm chuffed! That's heavier than my sister! (Not me... but I'll get there!)

Strange Monday things that happened yesterday - had hair coloured by the apprentice hairdressers at the college I work at and then conned their teacher into cutting it into the style she recently got. Was feeling so cool that I drove to a caryard and tried to testdrive the car I've been pondering buying for a year or 2. They didn't have any there, so I just bought one anyway! I have to wait 2 weeks for it to be delivered.

Got home, did the usual blah blah, and slept all night (which was lovely. I can be a crap sleeper, especially with buyers remorse!). Got up, reversed the car up the driveway to go to gym before work and realised the wife's car was missing. Woke her up to find out where she left it, and we discovered it had been stolen. Cr@p!

Did my session and read texts from her. Cops have found it, ignition stuffed, but she can get it back after its fingerprinted.

Geez, crazy 24 hours!!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    AMAZING session tonight.

Squats - 75lbs (3rd day at this weight but I think my form is slowly improving)
    OHP - 55lbs baby, all 5x5!!! I cheered for myself when I got that last one up. :-)
    Deadlift - So excited - TRIPLE DIGITS!!! 105lbs. It was hard, but I wonder if part of that was psychological, LOL. But I'm so proud of myself! Hard workout, but god, how fantastic do you feel afterwards when you DO IT???
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Posterior chain pain (good type) !

I had the distinct feeling that I was squatting differently (better) yesterday, butt out, chest up. Today, I have new-found soreness in my glutes, hamstrings, and what a Google image search tells me might be my adductor magni.

I think it's a good sign, and I can't wait to get back tomorrow and make sure that I haven't lost it!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Strange Monday things that happened yesterday - had hair coloured by the apprentice hairdressers at the college I work at and then conned their teacher into cutting it into the style she recently got. Was feeling so cool that I drove to a caryard and tried to testdrive the car I've been pondering buying for a year or 2. They didn't have any there, so I just bought one anyway! I have to wait 2 weeks for it to be delivered.

Got home, did the usual blah blah, and slept all night (which was lovely. I can be a crap sleeper, especially with buyers remorse!). Got up, reversed the car up the driveway to go to gym before work and realised the wife's car was missing. Woke her up to find out where she left it, and we discovered it had been stolen. Cr@p!

Did my session and read texts from her. Cops have found it, ignition stuffed, but she can get it back after its fingerprinted.

Geez, crazy 24 hours!!

That sounds like a crazy day! Glad they found the car though. You don't want the wife to snitch your new one! :tongue:
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    AMAZING session tonight.

OHP - 55lbs baby, all 5x5!!! I cheered for myself when I got that last one up. :-)
    Deadlift - So excited - TRIPLE DIGITS!!! 105lbs. It was hard, but I wonder if part of that was psychological, LOL. But I'm so proud of myself! Hard workout, but god, how fantastic do you feel afterwards when you DO IT???

Happy to hear you're so excited! It does feel fantastic, doesn't it!!?

Workout A for me today - did everything out of order. There was this gorgeous couple of strong folks tying up the squat rack for 45 minutes - a boy/girl couple using most excellent form - I probably looked like a crazy stalker woman I was watching them so much!

Squats - 75 lbs 5x5 - form might finally be clicking! Felt pretty good today and upped the weight
    Bench - 75 lbs 5/5/5/4/4 - first time at this weight - I am getting stronger!
    T-Bar row (I know!) - 70 lbs 5x5 - form is better doing this, but I suspect the range of motion is limited and not doing me any favours. Going to stick with this for now regardless...

Finished with some glute work - bridges and glute/ham raises along with some planks and crunches.

Good workout overall - treated myself with a sauna and hot tub afterward!

Joanne
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Today -
    Squats 5x5@165. I think I will take a few lbs off, since I don't think I'm getting quite low enough.
    OHP - 4x4 @90. Last week I got 44332 over 5 sets, so getting 4x4 is an improvement
    DL - 1x5 @205 - still feels very heavy. I'll probably repeat again next week.
    Then for fun, I did a few sets of curls (not sure when the last time I did that was), skull crushers and a set of chair dips.

Holy moly girl! Those are impressive numbers (and glad your foot's better, too)!

Awesome on the triple digits! Who's the bamf now?!

Geez, crazy 24 hours!!

This cracked me up! Glad you got the car back.

Day off from lifting for me--went for a run and felt awesome. I'm doing a 10k training program; it's taking forever because I only run once or twice a week, but I got to 20 minutes straight (then two minutes rest, then another 15 minutes running) today, which felt like progress. My stupid thigh/hip is killing me, but whatever.

Also, I put on some pants I bought at my skinniest last summer but couldn't even get up my body this year and they fit! (Okay they were still a little tight, but totally wearable.) My paleo/primal experiment seems to be working, hooray! Weighing/measuring on Thurs, which should be interesting.

Have a great day all.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Good job everyone! I need to get my butt back to the gym.. a lot of stuff going on and I can't let it derail me from my progress.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    My stupid thigh/hip is killing me, but whatever.
    Be careful! Running through pain is the worst thing I have ever done in training in any sport. It's not that kind of good bite-the-bullet stuff. If you aggravate an injury, it will just multiply the recovery time you will ultimately have to take. Better to take a week or even two off until the pain is completely gone before continuing than to have to take months or quit entirely later on.
  • chubby_checkers
    Options
    Workout B
    Squats: 165lbs 3x5
    OHP: 70lbs 3x5--- these were a *****
    Deadlift: 195lbs 1x5

Do any of you only squat twice a week? Do you throw an assistance lift in on days that you don't squat, or do you just do the other two lifts?
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Do any of you only squat twice a week? Do you throw an assistance lift in on days that you don't squat, or do you just do the other two lifts?

Sort of. In the Texas method, I squat 3x, but the weights vary. Monday, I did 5x5 @165; tomorrow I'll do 2x5@130, Friday, I'm supposed to attempt 1x5@180, but I think I'll do 175. On the "light" day, I do usually do some other leg exercises like glute bridges and leg curls.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Finally got my lifting in! Glad I went way down in weight because as it turns out 3x8 is a totally different animal from 3x5. Gonna take this up slooooooowly and let my core catch up while keeping things moving cardio-wise. Which seems to be working cause the scale is trending downward finally. I did notice that my measurements were the same even though I had put on like 4 pounds. So recomping is happening, looks like. This winter I just might be able to wear my jeans comfortably without anything pinching. We shall see. Learning to not eat my feelings is certainly helping with all that intuitive eating business. :glasses:
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Dani, I would love to not eat my emotions (or drink them). that is a fine art I have yet to master. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Dani, I would love to not eat my emotions (or drink them). that is a fine art I have yet to master. Congrats on your weight loss.

Yep, lifelong habit. Obviously not rectified quickly. It's an ongoing progress as things are unearthed and have to be dealt with by something other than rummaging for the Doritos and/or wine. I'm pretty outspoken as it is, but as it turns out, I've been stuffing a lot more than I care to admit :huh:

Baby steps ... :flowerforyou:
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Hum. I don't know how I feel about today's workout. I felt good after that I did it, but everything just seemed hard.

Squats: 5x5 @ 32kg

Bench: 55535 deloaded to 25kg - Agh, I've lost my bench. :(

Rows: 55533 @ 32.5kg - Finally hard. Too hard.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Hard isn't bad, sadly once you've found your level, those lovely regular incremental linear gains just seem to disappear. It becomes more of a grind, but although this is frustrating at times, it's ok. You will keep getting stronger, just progress becomes slower.

:)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Life is really sucking for me lately, so I am going to take it out on the gym. I hope to get some PB's today.
  • chubby_checkers
    Options
    Life is really sucking for me lately, so I am going to take it out on the gym. I hope to get some PB's today.

I know PB = Personal Best, but I still read it as Peanut Butter. :wink: Go get you some!!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    and now I want some peanut butter... *sigh*

hope you get those PBs Random!
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Finally got my lifting in! Glad I went way down in weight because as it turns out 3x8 is a totally different animal from 3x5. Gonna take this up slooooooowly and let my core catch up while keeping things moving cardio-wise. Which seems to be working cause the scale is trending downward finally. I did notice that my measurements were the same even though I had put on like 4 pounds. So recomping is happening, looks like. This winter I just might be able to wear my jeans comfortably without anything pinching. We shall see. Learning to not eat my feelings is certainly helping with all that intuitive eating business. :glasses:

Congrats on the loss!! I swear I dont think my measurements ever change so I never use those!

Yesterday was Squat Bench and row
    I had to do a quick run through everything because I was late getting to gym and the ex was bringing home the mini version.

So here is the workout:

Squat 4x5 75 lbs
    bench 5x5 90lbs
    Row 4x5 90lbs
    some lunges, glute bridges( also a most awkward move to do in a weight room full of men), and calf raises
    40 min walk on lunch :)
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Be careful! Running through pain is the worst thing I have ever done in training in any sport. It's not that kind of good bite-the-bullet stuff. If you aggravate an injury, it will just multiply the recovery time you will ultimately have to take. Better to take a week or even two off until the pain is completely gone before continuing than to have to take months or quit entirely later on.
    Thanks, good advice. It's not an injury, really...just muscle tightness. I'm stretching a lot and I think I'll try to get in a deep tissue massage soon--that's helped me in the past.

I came so close to blowing off my workout this morning—actually, when I went to bed last night planning to sleep in!—but I managed to go and had a pretty good workout. Still struggling on the OHP (guess I'll give in and deload next time) but went up on squats and deads, so was happy about that. And, I did front and side planks and lots of hip/thigh stretching, yipee!

Today:
    Squat 5x5 125 lbs
    OHP 55443 55 lbs :(
    Dead 1x5 155 lbs