The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    50kg 3x5 squats, this time with flat shoes on.. not sure it made much difference tbh, I still worry I 'good morning' a bit on the way back up..

37.5kg 3x5 bench my nemesis, defeated (just!). proper rests were the trick! now, do I re-do this weight next time, go up as scheduled, or go up in fractions?!

45kg 3x5 pendlay row. still feeling good on this :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Well, August was AWFUL for me! I tried messing with my calorie goal, went too low. Too low combined with lots of extra activities = tired, fatigued, caught a nasty virus cold, etc. etc. being super busy and fatigued = little to no exercise.
    Started a new part time job with the goal,of biking to work (it's just a mile down the road), that lasted a week before I was too tired and sick to ride my bike even.

Food logging went out the window.

September will be better. If I can get right of this congested cough!
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I bumped up my weights yesterday too:

Squats: 95 lbs (5x5)
    Bench: 60 lbs (5x5)
    Rows: 60 lbs (5x5)

I have to admit that my form wasn't the best, so I am going to stick around here for a while.

Also, my deadlift from Saturday was 105 lbs. I like deadlifting more than my bodyweight!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    What is "Good Morning"?
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies... I am having an issue. I am not progressing in a few of my workouts. Ideas why?

Row i cant seem to get above 95- most I have done was like 105 and it really didnt go so well

Squat - Highest weight ever 115 and that was crazy heavy. I went back down and have been trying to progress but no such luck. 95 is the highest I feel comfortable at without back pain.

I have been eating at increased calories and such for a while now-- My diary is open feel free to check there and see if that is where my issue is. Any suggestions or opinions are welcomed.

Yesterdays workout

Squats 4x5 80lbs - havent been doing 5x5 to save on a little time and got kinda bored since I do them every workout.
    bench 5x5 85 lbs
    rows 5x5 95 lbs
    chest and tricep accessory work ( chest flys, tricep dips, tricep extension, etc)

From this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1082252-strength-gains-2-weeks-in

The novice phase can last as long as three to nine months, though, so milk it for all it's worth while you can.

Hey bumblebums, jumping in with a q, (sorry for hijacking, maegmez!) if I have not seen linear improvement for nearly that long, any thought on why that might be? I was able to increase by 2.5kg/5lbs only 3 or 4 times, if that before feeling like I hit a wall. Am still increasing (very slowly now, a kg a week, if that), but maybe that still falls within the norm of n00b gains?

Speed doesn't actually matter to me, it's not like I can change how my body wants to progress, but just curious vis à vis what you said above!

(It is possible I just need to eat more. I am aware that my feeding lags behind whenever I get careless.)

It's hard to know without more information. But it's important to eat enough (maintenance or more), sleep enough, rest plenty (no half-marathon training between lifting sessions), and have good form--otherwise what I said does not apply. One way to tell when the linear nature of gains breaks down when you start regressing--that is, you are unable to lift weights you could previously do.
    Edited by bumblebums On August 26, 2013 11:03 am

You may need to reevaluate some things. Eating enough calories? Enough rest? Resting long enough between sets? etc

That being said, what helped me jump from 95lbs to 100lbs on rows was a few workouts doing 3x8 @ 95lbs. I think I did it for 3 workouts and then tried 100lbs @ 3x5 and didn't have a problem.

Erin- I had my bf watch me and he said I am parallel and look good but he really is no expert so I may have someone who know what they are doing watch me.

Chubby- I will reevaluate my sleep and such because lord knows I don't get enough of that!! And when i do sleep it is not a good solid rest. I could definitely give the 3x8 a go at though. My diary is public so as far the calorie intake goes I think I take in a decent amount but I could be wrong. I usually take in anywhere from 1400-1800 jsut depends on the days and such.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    What is "Good Morning"?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/good-morning

This happens when you bring your butt up out of the squat before the rest of your body (from my understanding). I've caught myself doing this a few times.

@sugar: I'd definitely look at sleep and, honestly, maybe bump your calories up a little and see what that does. Maybe shoot for 1900 or 2000.

Workout A today
    Bench: 105 3x5
    Row: 105 3x5---these felt insanely easy, so definitely increasing next go around.
    Squats: 165 1x5; 167.5 2x5---did these last as the was a dude actually squatting (correctly too!!) in the rack. I was toying with jumping to 170, but wasn't feeling it through the warmups. Did one set at 165 and felt I could do a little more, so did 2 at 167.5. Got a little good morningy on the last rep or two, but I was wiped out.

I haven't been sleeping well the last few nights and am suffering from lack of appetite today. Normally, I'd consider this a good thing (too fat!), but I don't like the way I'm feeling right now.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    frick!

the weight calculator http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced I only just saw automatically assumes you are a bloke! I changed it to woman and it dropped my numbers to 1541 BMR and 2272 TDEE. That's a lot less wiggle room than I thought lol!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    oh my goodness. the spinach/mushroom/onion/garlic oil/philly THING I made yesterday is SOOOO GOOOOOD I could eat it several times over! good job I've enough to eat it 6 times eh? ;)
    325g/serving, 220 cals, 10g carbs, 13g fat, 13g protein.

my 2 medium hard boiled eggs were 156 cals and almost identical fat and protein, so not bad for SO much more deliciousness (and I lurve my boiled eggs!) :)
  • grandevampire
    Options
    oh my goodness. the spinach/mushroom/onion/garlic oil/philly THING I made yesterday is SOOOO GOOOOOD I could eat it several times over! good job I've enough to eat it 6 times eh? ;)
    325g/serving, 220 cals, 10g carbs, 13g fat, 13g protein.

my 2 medium hard boiled eggs were 156 cals and almost identical fat and protein, so not bad for SO much more deliciousness (and I lurve my boiled eggs!) :)
    Lol, sounds delicious. I have no food stuffs to report except that now I'm all stuffed from food (since going on maintenance). I keep forgetting and falling behind. Argh, it's hard without pigging out on any old crap.

This morning's workout:

Squats 5x5 @ 32.5kg again to work on my form (as evidenced by my form check video at long last). Now I know what I need to work on. Was surprised though that the weight felt so much lighter than last day. I think the problem is my long-running/endurance workouts that keep falling on Sundays right before my Monday lifting. It's exactly what NROLFW said not to do. I'll look into switching my sched around a bit after I get back from my 3 weeks in Canada without lifting (ack!!!).

Bench 5x5 @ 25kg (deloaded): at least I was able to do all five sets this time. I think eating/resting helped.

Pendlay rows 5x5 @ 30kg (deloaded): I started with a few reps at 32.5, but it was so hard I didn't want to waste my time doing sets of 1 rep only. Went down to 30kg and completed the 5x5.

That's all for lifting until September 23rd! How will I live! I may have to scrounge up some day passes to a local gym. But I did also commit to doing P90X again with my mum while visiting, so while I may not have enough left in the tank for occasional gymming, hopefully I will stay relatively fit and not lose everything by way of lifting technique. Will stick around here to chat though!
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    I love the idea of my bum saying "good morning" on a squat!!! makes me laugh - although not good form - so no "bum " good mornings from me.....

So today
    Squats 5x5@77.5kg/170.8lbs
    Ohp 5,5,5,4,5@25kg/55lbs (took longer breaks in-between 2.5 mins, 2 mins on failed set of 4 and then took 3 before last set, got too impatient on my 4th set.... so close to finally doing 5x5 - good things come to those who wait... next time I will wait!!)
    Deadlift 1x5@80kg 176.3lbs

Accessories - 13 full push ups - nose to floor!!! (PR!!!), 3x 1min planks, 3x6 inverted boyd weight rows, 7 chin ups, 4 no feet chin ups, 190 air squats (80, 60, 50) , 30 sit ups

Eggy philly think sounds fab - eggs are my favourite food stuff - I eat 3 every single morning - nom, nom, nom - and keep meaning to add good stuff to them!!

Calorie stuff is the hardest thing in the world - I can't even count how often I have changed mine, tracked exercise, not tracked, linked my fitbit, unlined it - I have no clue as to what my activity level is... ho hum. But as long as my arms keep looking good - I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing right now...xxx

Happy lifting you awesome bunch.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Workout started very ugly tonight. My company was somehow dragged into drama and bad-mouthed repeatedly, even though we weren't involved and have no idea what the situation was. So I was in a pissy mood. Don't try to lift when you're pissy. Thank god I warm up with just the bar first - I nearly fell while squatting. I had to kind of fling a leg out and the bar landed across the back of my neck. Didn't hurt at all, just shook me for a minute. I almost decided not to lift tonight, but instead stood and meditated for a few minutes, just doing some deep-breathing and centering. I was much better after that, fortunately.

Squats 85lbs
    OHP 60lbs (same as last time, but OHP is such slow progress)
    DL 125lbs

I'm childishly excited because the next time I deadlift it'll be 135lbs, and you know what that means? The big girl plates. The real plates. The 45lb-ers. It will be awesome.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Big girl plate, how fun! Love it!!!

I went light on my squats & OHP today since I was going for a PR with my deadlift today- and I nailed it! I can tell I've cut back on my cardio this week!

Squats: 3x5 115 lbs
    OHP: 3x5 65 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 209 lbs

2x2 chin-ups
    4 sets of 40 crunches- 2 sets Swiss ball, 1 set reverse, 1 set bicycle
    planks & prone cobra

& I walked 2 miles
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies... I hope to get back on track sometime soon. Going through some bad times right now.

Sorry sweetie. Go take care of what you gotta. The weights will still be there.

I'm beginning to make friends with the fact that if I want to move under my own power in my old age, this isn't going to be a journey of "let's exercise for 6 months and drop some weight and then go back to sitting on that couch." No ma'am. This is going to have to become an active, life-long lifestyle.

So now I'm just focusing to get moving every day in some way. Added some extra yoga to my plate which is helping. Got on a bike ride after my lifting session on Monday. Broke out the kickboxing Kinect game yesterday and went for it.

Just keep swimming ... swimming ... swimming ..

308px-Dory-FindingNemo3D.jpg
  • grandevampire
    Options

Yay Dory! Even if your memory goes in old age, you'll still be fit and swimming about!

Hill sprints day, did 6 x 2 minute sprints, 7 km total run. I can feel my fitness level going up, I could have run a bunch more easy kilometers, but I was running late for work. Boo work. Always getting in the way!!!
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies... I hope to get back on track sometime soon. Going through some bad times right now.

Sorry sweetie. Go take care of what you gotta. The weights will still be there.

I'm beginning to make friends with the fact that if I want to move under my own power in my old age, this isn't going to be a journey of "let's exercise for 6 months and drop some weight and then go back to sitting on that couch." No ma'am. This is going to have to become an active, life-long lifestyle.

So now I'm just focusing to get moving every day in some way. Added some extra yoga to my plate which is helping. Got on a bike ride after my lifting session on Monday. Broke out the kickboxing Kinect game yesterday and went for it.

MAN I LOVE DORY!!!!!!
    Ok so I am getting kind of tired with the same ol same ol. So I decided to switch it up a bit. I get bored easily and doing the same workout 3 days a week is getting a little old. Last night was a leg accessory day, so I decided to do SL on squats and deadlifts only with leg accessory work. I enjoyed the change. So here is how it went.

I did what I call the "birthing machines" to work inner and outer thighs 4x10 at about 70-80 lbs on each machine
    glute bridges 4x10 w/45lb barbell
    squats 5x5 80lbs
    deadlifts 1x5 145lbs
    leg press 3x10 190lbs
    calf raises 4x10 60lbs

I am also going to have back and bi day where I will do my bench and rows, and chest and tri day and i'll do OHP. All accompanied with accessory work. This way I can take a little break from SL, but still lift heavy and weight train.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Fricking good morning ing out of squats. Any advice or is it deload time yet again?!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Love that baby!
    Squats 3x5 at 52.5kg but good morning issues. Hayelp! As Penelope pitstop would say..
    OHPs 3x5 at 27.5kg, think the wiggle is coming but I can feel my lower back, not sure if it is these or the Deadlift..
    Deadlift warm-up 3 at 60kg then 5 at 70kg. Think these are ok but not sure. that extra ten kg is certainly noticeable though!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Squats 3x5 at 52.5kg but good morning issues. Hayelp! As Penelope pitstop would say.

Squats aren't good mornings, and good mornings aren't squats. So pick one, and do it properly, at whichever weight you have to. If you need to deload, then do it.
    Last night's workout was such a ****show that it actually got all the way back around to funny.

That was awesome. Love that baby too. Lifting is this journey that takes you anywhere from "BAM! How awesome was THAT!" to "OMG that was so full of fail, I'm going to drown my sorrows in a tub of ice cream", and every place in between. That's part of the allure, really. Never a dull moment. :flowerforyou:
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Love that baby!
    Squats 3x5 at 52.5kg but good morning issues. Hayelp! As Penelope pitstop would say..
    OHPs 3x5 at 27.5kg, think the wiggle is coming but I can feel my lower back, not sure if it is these or the Deadlift..
    Deadlift warm-up 3 at 60kg then 5 at 70kg. Think these are ok but not sure. that extra ten kg is certainly noticeable though!

Here's a link to Bret Contreras blog. There's probably the right advice for you and your squats in here somewhere, if not this post, then one of his many... He's pretty clued up and knows his sh1t!
    http://bretcontreras.com/muscle-strengthening-doesnt-fix-form-motor-control-training-does/
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Thanks dani, I've never intentionally done a good morning! My hips are coming up faster than my back so not sure if it is a posterior chain issue or core poblem.. I will go back down but guess I need to do some kind of support work to avoid this as I build back up?