The august ladies' August check in and chat

Options

Replies

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks dani, I've never intentionally done a good morning! My hips are coming up faster than my back so not sure if it is a posterior chain issue or core poblem.. I will go back down but guess I need to do some kind of support work to avoid this as I build back up?

Here's another Bret Cjdhdbdgsns (I forget his surname!) information document about lower body progressions. I hope it opens for you. I had to give him my email address to read it, so I'm being naughty.

http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/List-of-Progressions.pdf?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bretcontreras&utm_content=New+Progressions+List!

I dunno if it will help, but I bet something he has written somewhere will. He's bloody smart!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    fascinating, thank you, although some of it is Greek to me! SL is literally my first experience of lifting, and I've stuck to the 5 movements from the start, so the idea of adding in other things is a bit scary. Glute bridges I could do, no box at the gym (or dowel for that matter!) but I guess the broom at home might be pressed into use instead :)
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been known to take the spider head off the end of the spider web broom to practice squats at home. It's a bit light and I thinkive bent it!
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    I know you've probably read it lwoodroff , but ripptoes book starting strength is pretty awesome for explaining squats (some of the muscles stuff flys over my head and is a bit too technical for my dyslexic brain to keep track off)

I worry sometimes, that I read too much and don't actively put what I've read into practice, or I confuse myself by doing an info overload - you'll get through this - just really focus on your form, stay safe and your get there. What I tend to do is actively "squat" all the time - pick something up off the floor - squat, get something out of a lower kitchen cupboard, squat. That way I am mentally aware of the movement and how it feels and then I try and replicate that with the bar.

today
    Squat 5x5 @ 80kg / 176.3lbs PR!! (scared myself with these big time for fear of being squished/trapped, but also happy this is the most I have squatted!! hurahhh!)
    Bench 5x5 @ 27.5kg/60.6lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 27.5/60.6lbs
    Usual accessories - tried to hit 14 push ups, collapsed.., 39 full site ups, 39 reverse crunches, 3x6 body weight rows, 6 chin ups (floor to door) 3 no feet chin ups, 156 air squats.

Have a lovely weekend lifting ladies.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    thanks, but my entire reading has been tameko's posts lol..

also, my bodyweight/lower weight squats are just fine, it's only with heavy weight that they start to break down, which is why I'm wondering if it's a supporting muscle issue, or what. guess I need to get some video done again!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks dani, I've never intentionally done a good morning! My hips are coming up faster than my back so not sure if it is a posterior chain issue or core problem.. I will go back down but guess I need to do some kind of support work to avoid this as I build back up?

It could be either. I've personally gone to a lower weight 3x8 and am working my way back up that way, to let my core catch up because it's still not stable enough for my personal taste. The lower weight and slightly higher rep lets me really focus on form, tighten everything up, and make sure I lift stuff the way I'm supposed to. And 3x8 is 24 total reps versus 5x5 being 25 reps, so 1 rep difference is like whoop-dee-doo-dah, who cares? If I can't lift something with good form, then it's not getting lifted, period. I'm not following any schedule except my own.

You're really only lifting as heavy as your weakest muscle involved can support that lift. So my advice to you, and everyone in this thread is, as usual, to never, ever compromise good form in the name of adding weight to the bar. It's simply not worth it.

If you need to do additional core work, then do it. Try some planks, or maybe add in some Pilates or Yoga (you should really be doing flexibility work anyway). Alternately, dropping weight down and working your core via weighted squats is fine too, but you will have to be patient with yourself and let your core catch up. No shame in doing a major deload and honoring your body as a whole and letting it perform properly without compromising anything.

I'm personally taking a 3-prong approach to fitness that involves strength, flexibility and endurance. I personally think all 3 are necessary and should be integrated into any fitness program in some way. That's why I'm currently only lifting 2x/week, because my endurance is so bad and really needs to be built up, and this week I've done Yoga every night, which really helps with the tightness that builds up during the day and lets me relax enough to get a solid night's sleep.

Maybe it's time for you to spread your wings a little and explore other things? Mixing things up is really rather fun and keeps things lively and challenging, so don't be afraid to do it. If you need help adjusting your program and adding a few things into the mix, let us know. I'm sure our combined knowledge and experience can help you figure things out. :smile:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lydia - I am going to echo what Dani said. You've been lifting for a while now - I don't know that SL is really intended to be a long term progression program. Chances are that your body has reached a point where it needs a somewhat different approach - something more periodized (basically, changing intensity and volume throughout the week). I highly recommend the Texas method - it's all the same lifts (unless you decide to swap rows for power cleans), but it incorporates active recovery days and intensity days. Between eating enough and switching to Texas, I was able to break through every plateau I was on, plus improve my form, AND have more fun. All of which are important!

Last day of Texas for me:
    Squats 1x5 @ 200
    OHP 1x3 @ 85. I actually did 4, but I had a guy spot me, and he helped more than I wanted him to do on the last one.
    Power Cleans 5x3 @75
    Pushups 25 - not my best effort, but those ohp's killed my arms.

I'm gonna take a week off, and then move on to Wendler. I want to thank everyone here for all of the amazing advice and support you have given me over the last 6 months. You all are fantastic people who do great things every day! I may still pop in from time to time to see how you all are doing, but otherwise I'll be off in to new adventures. Thanks again, and keep lifting!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    ladies, I know you are right, but I don't wannnnaaa... but I gotta.

I started SL in March, so it's not even 2 cycles yet with quite a lot of disruption, but it is becoming 'safe' I guess. I like the structure, I like that I don't have to think too much or find too much equipment to use...

but I'd certainly be open to the concept of lifting 2x/week (in whatever guise) and doing something else the third time. Don't say yoga though, please! I probably need to do a little more cardio (you're right, my stamina has taken a beating..) - again, without a structure or goal it's very hard to be bothered!

So, open to suggestions if they are easy to follow :) I'll start a new thread though!

Thanks for being straight-shooters ladies :)
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Texas would NOT be a big jump for you. You still squat every day, just not so much all the time. And you still do benches and OHP and deadlifts - no new equipment needed. Texas also gives you the opportunity to build in a little more cardio two days a week, as you get your lifting done pretty fast on Wednesday and Friday. Go ahead and read about it in Tameko's sticky - it's not as scary to switch as you might think!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks dani, I've never intentionally done a good morning! My hips are coming up faster than my back so not sure if it is a posterior chain issue or core problem.. I will go back down but guess I need to do some kind of support work to avoid this as I build back up?

It could be either. I've personally gone to a lower weight 3x8 and am working my way back up that way, to let my core catch up because it's still not stable enough for my personal taste. The lower weight and slightly higher rep lets me really focus on form, tighten everything up, and make sure I lift stuff the way I'm supposed to. And 3x8 is 24 total reps versus 5x5 being 25 reps, so 1 rep difference is like whoop-dee-doo-dah, who cares? If I can't lift something with good form, then it's not getting lifted, period. I'm not following any schedule except my own.

You're really only lifting as heavy as your weakest muscle involved can support that lift. So my advice to you, and everyone in this thread is, as usual, to never, ever compromise good form in the name of adding weight to the bar. It's simply not worth it.

If you need to do additional core work, then do it. Try some planks, or maybe add in some Pilates or Yoga (you should really be doing flexibility work anyway). Alternately, dropping weight down and working your core via weighted squats is fine too, but you will have to be patient with yourself and let your core catch up. No shame in doing a major deload and honoring your body as a whole and letting it perform properly without compromising anything.

I'm personally taking a 3-prong approach to fitness that involves strength, flexibility and endurance. I personally think all 3 are necessary and should be integrated into any fitness program in some way. That's why I'm currently only lifting 2x/week, because my endurance is so bad and really needs to be built up, and this week I've done Yoga every night, which really helps with the tightness that builds up during the day and lets me relax enough to get a solid night's sleep.

Maybe it's time for you to spread your wings a little and explore other things? Mixing things up is really rather fun and keeps things lively and challenging, so don't be afraid to do it. If you need help adjusting your program and adding a few things into the mix, let us know. I'm sure our combined knowledge and experience can help you figure things out. :smile:

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I dead lifted more than my body weight today for the first time ever.
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Kitkat, you BAMF!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna take a week off, and then move on to Wendler. I want to thank everyone here for all of the amazing advice and support you have given me over the last 6 months. You all are fantastic people who do great things every day! I may still pop in from time to time to see how you all are doing, but otherwise I'll be off in to new adventures. Thanks again, and keep lifting!

Wait, wot?? :noway:

You're not going anywhere Missy! You're going to keep posting your Wendler badassery right here and we're gonna cheer you along. Heck, I've never even done a complete cycle of SL and have posted here from the very beginning. Who cares? We'll still like you no matter what program you're doing. Or no program at all. Whatever. If you're cheating on us with another group, at least give me a link so I can follow you around. :bigsmile:
    but I'd certainly be open to the concept of lifting 2x/week (in whatever guise) and doing something else the third time. Don't say yoga though, please! I probably need to do a little more cardio (you're right, my stamina has taken a beating..) - again, without a structure or goal it's very hard to be bothered!

You don't have to do Yoga. I happen to love Yoga, but if you don't, no sweat. Find another mobility program that works for you. Just make sure you stretch regularly and thoroughly (unless you're hyperjointed/hyperflexible or whatever, in which case not so much). There's lots of mobility stuff on Youtube, so find something you love and go for it.

I personally to love Yoga because it combines so many things and leads to the type of body awareness that few other routines give you. Plus I'm a natural sloucher, so Yoga has taught me to sit up straight and have a decent posture. Plus balance from all those 1-legged poses, plus stretching, plus breathing properly and etc. But I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, so don't feel pressured or anything.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Today was the final workout of week 4! I've made it a month without missing a workout. That is UNHEARD of for me, so obviously something is clicking.

Squats: 85 lbs 5x5 - I spent a couple days here working on form, will bump up to 90 next workout. I seem to squat better with higher weights. Body weight squats just kill me - I can't get deep and everything feels wonky. But throw some plates on the bar and I can get it deep. Yay for gravity?

Bench press: 75 lbs 5x5 - Holy crap! 75 lbs!

Row: 85 lbs 5x5 - I was an idiot for some reason and DROPPED five pounds this time. i meant to stay the same instead of increasing but apparently math failed me. *facepalm* Guess that explains why it felt kind of light. ;-)

On a very exciting note, my friend's husband is building my power cage this weekend!!!!!!! *happy dance*

On a possibly weird note, I'm starting to get calluses and I'm pretty excited about it. I've earned them. Is that weird? *kitten* - that doesn't make me bulky and manly does it?!?
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm switching to Wendler soon also, I'm going to keep hanging around here with you amazing ladies though! I am looking forward to concentrating on one lift at a time and add weight slowly, it's just too exhausting to me to do squats 3x a week with the other lifts. I've been doing 3x5 for quite awhile, even that is too much lately.

I second Dani's recommendations! Great advice! I have been lifting way less on my squats the past month or 2 and working more on my core strength- I can tell a huge difference in my form. Now if I could stop pigging out i might see some of those abs under the fat...:sad:
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    kitkat & Liz, you are making amazing progress!!! Woo hoo!

Daisy, you absolutely ROCK with your squats!!! Oh my!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You ladies rock... I am impressed with everyone's progress... I hope to get back to the gym myself in a week. Hopefully the break will have me coming back stronger than before. :)
    Wait, wot?? noway

You're not going anywhere Missy! You're going to keep posting your Wendler badassery right here and we're gonna cheer you along. Heck, I've never even done a complete cycle of SL and have posted here from the very beginning. Who cares? We'll still like you no matter what program you're doing. Or no program at all. Whatever. If you're cheating on us with another group, at least give me a link so I can follow you around. bigsmile

Ditto to the above.... no need to go anywhere :laugh:
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just have to share my excitement/pride. So I have been lifting for four full weeks now. Here's my progress:

Squats: 45lbs to 85lbs
    Bench press: 45 lbs to 75 lbs
    Overhead press: 45 lbs (struggling mightily) to 60 lbs
    Row: 65 lbs to 90 lbs
    Deadlift: 65 lbs to 125 lbs

I never, NEVER would have thought I could actually lift weights. Thanks ladies for being so encouraging and patient!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Began again yesterday. Gone back to the start, I am trying to build in a minimum of 10 minutes cardio with every workout as it's too easy not to do it at all because I don't enjoy it!

So having taken just under a month off I did 10 minutes on the elliptical to warm up and then worked through workout A at bar weight for all the exercises.

Felt good to be back and feeling it just a little today. I really relish the good soreness you get from working out.

Also, my new gym has these funny little bars at all different weights up to 20kg so I have something I can use other than dumbells to build up my OHP!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Began again yesterday. Gone back to the start, I am trying to build in a minimum of 10 minutes cardio with every workout as it's too easy not to do it at all because I don't enjoy it!

So having taken just under a month off I did 10 minutes on the elliptical to warm up and then worked through workout A at bar weight for all the exercises.

It isn't good to do cardio before lifting as you wear out your muscles. If you really want to do cardio, you should do it after lifting or on a rest day.