Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

2018 - The Year of " I AM "

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,457 Member
    Welcome back suzy!! im glad you got the hiking in you wanted; its always hard to follow any plan while travelling and on vacation so don't sweat it... how cool is it that you found a pretty similar program as Vails?? Way cool - I think its awesome these online programs are becoming more and more available; look forward to hearing about both your journeys!

I never did find the tomato passata stuff yet btw lol

and yes as far as the cataract surgery; my first one 5 yrs ago was no biggie as such either; once it was done I just had to wear the contact in the bad one.. the problem this time is the contact has to come out well in advancel... and so i'm kinda gonna be wonky for about 7 weeks.. like being a little drunk walking wise and some double vision while the good eye and bad eye fight to see together... really just a royal pain in the *kitten*. Not that I don't excel at sitting around doing nothing ……

its been crazy busy at work; did a 16 hr shift sunday but regular days this week; going to see Wicked tomorrow night (my birthday present to myself) with some friends with dinner before hand; and I took Thursday off work so I didnt have to get up at 4am after a late nite lol.. yup i'm worth it!

Speaking of which should get my butt in gear... have a good one !
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,362 Member
    Enjoy Wicked! It’s wonderful!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    That's great that your doing an online programme too, Suzy! I'll be really interested to know how yours goes. I have knee pain too (maybe it's a given if you're older and active!). As you say, I'm sure the weight affects it and it's one of my reasons for wanting to lose more weight. I'm worried that I'll just wear out my knees if I don't! I hope the programme goes well. It's great that it's individually tailored.

I hope you enjoyed Wicked, Snooozie! I love going to the theatre - one of my favourite things. We have a Shakespeare season here at the moment - I've seen one play and hoping to go to more. I don't know how you cope with your shifts! I know I keep saying that ... but I do think shift work is much harder than working normal, steady hours.

I got a shock this week with the programme I'm on - they suddenly upped our step goals! And they've also introduced an exercise programme today. I haven't done the exercises yet - I've done C25K this morning and a bit of a walk in the afternoon and I'm knackered. It is so hot and humid here.
  • suzyqholland
    I’m looking forward to the program. We’ll see how it goes. Did they have any exercise requirements before they sprung this on you? Hopefully it’s something you can work up to and incorporate easily. Is anyone else chatting yet?

It has rained nonstop all week so I haven’t been out walking. I could have gone to the gym but I didn’t. Perhaps I’ll find some motivation to go tomorrow. It’s supposed to rain all weekend and next week. Ugh!

I agree about shift work. It’s got to be difficult!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Just got paid and trying the Spinach-stuffed Chicken and the Chicken Parmesan recipes tonight....before I run out of $$ ....lol doing half and half...should satisfy everyone, they can choose, or eat both, like me!!

Suzy, sounds like a great program , like Vail's does.
    Snoozie, that does sound like a lot you have to go through with the surgery....but the outcome will be so amazing!!

Finding out what the new g-Baby is today..... could be a rabbit or a frog!!! lol I am really hoping it is just healthy and happy...but secretly pulling for a little baby boy, since we have the 6 year old big sister.. but, either will be loved...... won't be due till Dec, I think it is.

Hoping you all have an awesome weekend....think I am working this weekend...ugh! : )
  • Snooozie
    Hi all! Quick note before heading into work.. Gail a new grandbaby!! Woo hoo!! and perhaps he/she will be a Christmas present if due in December lol!! let us know how the chicken parm went? I'm off for a few days after tomorrow so hope to start checking out some of the recipes

Suzy let us know if you need an ark built and sent.. we're on it!!

Vail - sneaky little beasts slipping in the upped exercise !!! let us know when u get a chance to check out what they want you to do (besides the step count increase)…

WICKED.. was awesome!! I just loved it..... went with 2 friends and had dinner just across from the theatre before hand; when we got out around 1030pm we walked the one friend back to her hotel (about a 10 min walk) which is right downtown in Toronto, and there were so many people on the street it was a gorgeous night... there were buskers playing music honestly it was too funny we were like a bunch of tourists just wandering and enjoying the hustle and bustle of the city... even tho i work downtown i literally drive to work and come home lol... we forget what a vibrant and fun time it can be just walking around there and taking in the whole atmosphere..

If i was rich Vail I would go to every play but admit I'm a particularly secret fan of any musical lol... i actually went ot the see the new Mama Mia movie (part 2) one afternoon last week when i was off and quite enjoyed it too... I only see about 1 movie every 5 years cause i'm not a big movie buff... but i thot i wanna see this and so i'm going.... part of the whole nourish the spirit move i guess! hahah.. ok … better get cracking .. have a good one !
  • suzyqholland
    We visited Toronto in ‘84 and fell in love with the city. I’d love to go back someday. We lived in Rochester, NY for a couple years and went there a couple times.
  • Vailara
    That's great that you had such a nice time in the city at night. My city tends to get a bit rowdy at night! But Toronto sounds lovely with the buskers. I think it's great to be a tourist in your own city sometimes! I love musicals too, although I don't get to go very often. I do like films too, though. And musical films! I haven't been to see the new Mama Mia one yet.

Very exciting about the grandchild, Gwen! I'm impressed with you making two different recipes at once and letting people choose! I am much too lazy. (Also I would choose the spinach-stuffed chicken every time. Although I meant to say ... it seems to take longer to cook in my oven than it does in the recipe! But I'm sure you are all used to knowing when things are cooked - it maybe depends on the size of the chicken breasts. I have one of those needle thermometers because I'm a bit obsessive and tend to overcook things if I don't know for sure). I'd love to know how it went and which was more popular!

Suzy, that's a shame about the rain. I hope you can get out, even with waterproofs - or is it too much for that?

Yes, there was a step total for the day when I got the app - 5000 steps. But I think the idea was just to get us used to and used to the eating programme, then after a couple of weeks they are bringing in more exercise. This is something I don't think the app is great at. It demonstrates the exercises, but I have to scroll through them to get to the right level, and there is no timer - I feel it could be designed better. But you can look at it online too. We are meant to do some strength training (things like pushups, squats), and some moderate/vigorous cardio, stretching, etc.

• suzyqholland
    The sun is out!!!! Yay!!!! It’s amazing what seeing the sun can do for your mood and motivation. Unfortunately I committed us to spending the day with my parents when the forecast said rain. Hopefully we’ll still have some sun tomorrow. The trails are probably all mud right now anyway.

I’m the worst at over cooking meat of any kind. My meat thermometer is ancient.

So.....is the new grand baby a boy or a girl? By the way....why doesn’t anyone want to be surprised anymore? I get the whole, “we want to be prepared” thing but it was pretty exciting to not know until the baby made an appearance. I’m (hopefully) about two years away from being a grandma. That’s a good thing because neither of my kids are ready for parenthood!

I may see if my hubby wants to go for a walk before it gets too hot and we have to go to my parent’s house. Have a good weekend!
  • Vailara
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who overcooks! I have ruined meals that way, particularly salmon, which isn't nice if overcooked. I do have an old meat thermometer but tend to use the needle thermometer - it's really quick and doesn't leave a hole.

Hoping the sun is staying out for you!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Thanks, Vail, but I haven't actually made them yet, I forgot some of the ingredients. I am used to making two of most things, such different eaters in my household.. Son .... eats no onions, Hubby eats no onions, black pepper, red sauce...he gets heartburn so easily. ,... as for DnL , Gbaby and I, we eat anything not tied down!! lol

Snoozie, I would love to see Toronto...also New York City is on my bucket list in a few years..

Suzy, I thought it was just me..I can not cook meat to save my life. I think I was meant to be a vegetarian !

It's a GIRL!! So I see a lot more pink in our future. I really felt like it was going to be a boy. I even stopped by and picked up a boy congratulations card to prove my assuredness....needless to say I now have a boy card ready for the next boy I hear off...lol

Has anyone heard anything from Susan?

• Vailara
    Congratulations on the granddaughter to be! Maybe if you were so sure, she's going to be a tomboy?

I'm so lazy, I think I'd just cook things everybody could eat ... but then I would miss onions. I had to give them up when I was on that FODMAP diet, but I was able to eat the green parts of leeks and green onions. I wonder if that would work for your non-onion-eaters?
  • Snooozie
    Hi all!

i've been spending these days off trying to meet up with friends and get as many chores done before my housebound days; as a result of several lunches the scale is reflecting it.. gak! and at home i've been eating everything in sight; healthy and not healthy... im deathly afraid i'm going to turn into an oompa loompa while i'm off because i have always been an emotional eater and i eat when i'm bored... so i'm definitely going to have to try to find things to keep me occupied!! other than sitting on my *kitten* at the computer that is.... :)

We are having a rain day here; cant complain as we need it but did have plans to meet a friend on a patio - maybe it's mother nature telling me i've eaten more than enough this week?? ha... yup lets make it all about me!

Gail - i totally admire you for being willing to cook different things.. like vail i am so lazy i can barely cook for me..im not sure what I would do if I had to accommodate a bunch of other peoples preferences! ! My mom had a rule you eat what's on your plate or you go hungry... but that said we were each allowed one thing we never had to eat (mine was liver; my sister was mushrooms) but i distinctly remember hiding peas in my mashed potatos to get em down cause i wasnt a fan.. and when we would come home for lunch from school if my dad was making lunches (both my parents wokred shifts so whoever was home made it) he often made salmon sammiches.. not a fav but he would always put a handful on cheesies on the side so i could take a bite and shove a bunch of cheesies in to hide the taste lol...

Suzy i hope you managed to get some time in on your sun day to enjoy yourself after the parental visit!

Vail - hows the exercise upping portion of the program coming?? are there any more people in the chat room as yet???

Well since i can't walk at hte lake this morning i better get my ever widening *kitten* off the couch and do something!! lol will check in later..

Oh and Gail - i think Susan has left the site; her profile says its been 2 months since she checked in :( Haven't heard from Milove in a while hope all is well with her too!
  • Vailara
    The exercise is going OK, thanks, but I haven't been managing my step count. It has been put up twice since I started, so I feel I'm chasing it. It's quite time consuming trying to fit it in, even though I probably walk more than most people (I usually walk to get my shopping rather than driving). I do cycle to the shops as well and that doesn't show on the step count. Also if I'm walking with heavy shopping that's got to count as extra? I know I'm making excuses!

I'm quite enjoying the workouts, although they are really difficult to follow on the app. I can get them on the computer screen and that makes it a bit easier, but still difficult. I would love if they had some sound and a timer. They are strength exercises, which I know are good for me, with optional cardio.

The lesson today is about exercise in relation to insulin sensitivity. Briefly, it seems to be saying that the normal exercise like walking and cycling that I do, doesn't do much to help insulin sensitivity. The key thing is high intensity workouts and building muscle.
  • Snooozie
    Darn Vail I shouldn't have read your post before heading for my walk LOLOL... (because of the insulin sensitivity info).. I think I actually knew that.. or had heard it.. but was playing ostrich :( I honestly don't think at this stage of my life i'm ever gonna get into HIT workouts.. altho pickleball comes pretty close for me ha... but I DO have to start strength training just for the bone density help - but apparently as well as for the muscle building.. I guess I won't have any excuse after tomorrow with so much time on my hands.. I have kinda slacked off on my home physio exercises too.. so maybe that should be my focus.. I still have an exercise band somewhere and a card with a bunch of ST moves... so actually its probably good timing for me to read it.. and my walkies are more for my mental health .. so it's all good!!

and yesssssssssss carting groceries does count as extra!! as does the cycling!!) rock on!
  • Vailara
    Sorry, for posting that at the wrong time! And of course, walking has other benefits, as you say - it just doesn't seem to have the same effect on insulin sensitivity, according to my article today. I have done HIIT, but I'm always a bit wary with my heart anyway. Strength training I'm a fan of anyway, because of the inevitable muscle loss with aging. In regards to insulin sensitivity, I'm just not sure as it's such a struggle to maintain muscle, never mind build it. The ideal, they say is to have more muscle, and less middle body fat. I'm working on the latter, but I think the former is going to be pretty impossible. I suppose you might be able to concentrate on the physio and strength exercises when your waiting for your op, and can't do so much walking? I find it really boring, to be honest. But needs must!

Meanwhile, my mentor has got me on to kombucha and kefir. No, I hadn't either! I now have giant jars of the stuff brewing away in my living room. What with buying all the stuff to make the kombucha it's working out more expensive than wine, so it had better be good! Anyway, the idea is to get more probiotics, through fermented food. Kombucha is fermented tea, and kefir is fermented milk - a bit like yoghurt, but more good microbes, apparently.

Meanwhile, here's another recipe I like from the book:

Black Bean Patties

Ingredients
    • 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
    • 1 red chilli, seeded and diced (optional)
    • 2 x 400g tins black beans (you can use other beans like kidney or canellini)
    • 1 tsp smoked or hot paprika (optional. You can use what spices you prefer. I think I put cumin in last time)
    • 75g (1 cup) wholemeal bread crumbs
    • 1 egg, lightly beaten
    • 1 handful fresh coriander and/or chives, chopped (or fresh herbs of your choice)
    • 1-2 tbsp olive oil

Method
    1. Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper, mix well and work the mix into a large ball with clean hands
    2. Roll this into 8 even balls and flatten into patties (I tend to make more small ones). Place on a plate lined with baking parchment in the fridge for 10-15 minutes
    3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the patties for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Use an egg turner to turn them just once. Make sure the pan temperature is not too high
    4. Serve in bread rolls with salad and tzatziki or with hummus and your favourite vegetables.

I've been making half quantity if it's just for myself, and that does two meals. They are fine cold the next day with a dip and salad.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    This-> " The key thing is high intensity workouts and building muscle. " is why I have to do boot camp style cardio and 150 lb leg presses....cause my doc said just walking or slow bike rides wasn't doing it for me....

But I have fell off from either of those, but going to try and get started back up next week. I am slowly backing off the sweets, too... maybe it will all come together .

Vail, I don't always have to cook different things, but on spaghetti night , I have to make a red sauce and a cheese sauce. I do try to sneak in some green onion tops. Never used the leeks, but I know I would love them.

I hope Susan is ok and just taking a break from us....
    I think I saw Milove had posted a few weeks back, she is probably running wild with working and stuff.

Snoozie, I sympathize with you on the eating type...I too eat with all those symptoms. Maybe get in some sleep at your worst eating times of the day? lol It might work.

Hi, Suzy!

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

OH, yes,It will be a lot of fun to buy girly stuff! She can be a tomboy too. I was and still am, but love girly stuff too...lol
  • Snooozie
    Vail - i've tried both of those and frankly … well it's right up there with kale for me HAHA.. but I do agree on the acidic foods being good for u … rumour has it nothing can live in an alkanline environment.. I do love sourkraught tho (sp?) pickled cabbage lol... so maybe i'll buy a jar on chow down on that!!
  • suzyqholland
    Hi everyone! Sorry I’ve been MIA for a bit...more parental issues this week. My dad fell this time but luckily he’s okay, just banged up a bit.

I so desperately need to get back to the gym and doing some strength training. This week was supposed to be “the week” but I haven’t been once. I start this online knee strength program on Monday so it looks like next week will be “the week” instead. I talk with my coach today via phone so I’ll know more about it all after that.

I’ve read up on kombucha and it sounds disgusting to me, still....I’d try it if I didn’t have to make it. Are the ready made versions that you can buy any good? Do they still have all the good stuff? I’ve thought about substituting kefir for Greek yogurt in my smoothies. Is it that kind of thing?

I have one more closet to go through today and I will have been through everything closet and drawer in my house getting rid of unnecessary stuff. I have a truckload of donations to take somewhere. I may try to sell some stuff. My house is a shambles right now! Hopefully by the end of the month it will be set back to rights.

• Vailara
    I hope your dad is recovering OK, Suzy. Good luck with the decluttering. I always want to sell stuff, but realistically, I don't get round to it, so I end up giving it to charity, or throwing away. I do think it's quite a hard job, deciding what to keep, sorting things out, and so on. I tried Konmarie a couple of years ago, and that was good (I still fold my socks!), but I didn't finish it.

I'm making kombucha at the moment, and have to admit it does look absolutely disgusting. I'm not convinced that I'm ever going to be able to bring myself to drink the stuff. I feel the "scoby" is staring at me out of the murky water in the jar. It's like a big flat eyeball with floaty bits, sitting in dirty, brown water. I don't know if the bought stuff is as good. I didn't know you could buy it when I committed to making it, and then later I found a bottle in a health food shop for an extravagent price. I like making things myself, but I might change my mind after having this malevolent looking thing in my living room.

The kefir jar looked much more wholesome. I'm sure you could use it in smoothies. I'm not sure what I'm going to use mine for. I'm tempted to make kefir cheese, but then it seems to be an awful lot of faff for not much end product.