Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

2018 - The Year of " I AM "

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,457 Member
    Vail - I almost choked on my orange reading this:

I feel the "scoby" is staring at me out of the murky water in the jar. It's like a big flat eyeball with floaty bits, sitting in dirty, brown water.

omg... girl if you can even TRY that stuff after what you wrote???????? I will bow down to you in highest admiration !!!!!!!!
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,362 Member
    Hahaha! There’s absolutely no way I could drink that after I imagined it was looking at me! I had to google Konmarie. It sounds pretty severe! I am purging a TON of stuff though. I have one more closet to go through. I thought I was done but then I remembered the closet in the basement under the stairs. It’s full of suitcases and bags. I still have the set of luggage my parents gave me when I graduated high school in 1979!!!

On a sour note: the tablet I was given for this whole exercise/fitness program stopped working this morning! I hope they’ll send me a replacement. I talked with my coach via phone yesterday. She made me commit to three days a week to do the exercises and I had to tell her which days and what time I’d commit to! Talk about being held accountable! I’m expecting good things!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    Snooozie, I'm going to have to try it, after having had it's company in my living room for a month! It does make me laugh though. It's like something out of Frankenstein's laboratory.

It's a shame about your tablet, Suzy. I have had problems with my "tech" too, not working as intended. But thankfully I can still do the programme (I have to enter weights manually at the moment). It's good that you can talk to your coach on the phone.

I'm not losing weight fast (although I do think there's a slight downward trend), but the programme does seem to help me stick to it. We are on week 4, and I had my first proper slipup last night. I had a handful of salted peanuts, which I regret! But I think that before the programme, I was slipping up every week, at least! Recently I've been forgetting to do my gratitudes (each night we have to write down three things we are grateful for and one positive experience) and I honestly think if I'd done that, I wouldn't have had the peanuts. (Of course, I could not have peanuts in the house. They were hidden in a cupboard, but they fell out when I opened it and I couldn't stop thinking about them).
  • Snooozie
    edited August 2018
    Vail i don't suppose we could talk you into taking a selfie the moment you try it?? lol

i'm a little behind in replies so I'll start there -

Suzy I hope your dad is ok? super job on the closets.. I should do the same while im stuck at home... unless you wanna volunteer to come with me? I did laugh at your suitcase from high school.. I still have a few of my dad's soft sided suitcases =; why I don't know. I'm sorry the tablet is broken; I do hope they replace it; I gulped at the demand to provide the days and times to your coach... but... as you'll see later I think its a great idea .. !

Gail I'm sure your gonna have a blast buying stuff for the new grand baby.. these days so much is unisex that you can indulge yourself when you feel like frills and lace or a pair of coveralls for her you can do what ya want cause you're grandma - no rules apply!!

One of my friends when her daughter was expecting her first, woudl drag me along to garage sales while we were up at her cottage to the point where her daughter forbade her to buy anything new.. joanne however outsmarted her cause she said it was all stuff to keep at the cottage so they wouldnt have to lug a playpen or toys up when they came lololol.... !

So i'll try to keep this part short.. but we all know i fail miserably at that lol. so read at your own risk! In a nutshell, yesstreday was day 1 of being with my contact lens in.. if you've ever tried on a pair of someone else's high prescription glasses you'll get the idea of what my vision is like; wonky works best .. anyway i had a complete pity party for myself.. i got c aught up in the whole woe is me thing and literally ate from sunrise to sunset.. well, past sunset to be honest... and i did absolutely nothing except sit on the couch or nap... and wallow. it sounds so stupid out loud, but i was feeling sorry for myself thinking i'm gonna balloon in weight just hanging around here and be bored outta my mind and even today i could feel the ow's from not moving at all yesterady... and of course while i was wallowing i was stuffing my face.

So this morning when i got up I thought ok enuf.. and reading the posts from Suzy and Vail about the programmes they're involved helped me realize i needed an attitude adjustment.. and a plan.. I have LOADS to do around this place from sorting paperwork i've let grow for too long to putting away stuff i dragged out eons ago yada yada.. and i have slacked off on my physio stretches, and somewhere in this clutter is the stretch band they gave me for some beginning strength training stuff..

so... today i am going to make a beginning plan - but not look ahead too far which is what did me in.. the thought of weeks stretching ahead... so i am going to use the treadmill every day in the gym downstairs, and every day do the physio .. and on mon/wed/fri i will use the band and go thru the exercises they gave me for it.. i will have no excuse not to as i have nothing but time on my hands, so i'm going to use my calendar as my accountability - my paper wall calendar .. i will have to check off every day that everything was done. And at least all the crap it sout of the house food wise now so i have no excuse there either. I feel better today having gotten thru the pity party (?altho i'm a little miffed none of you sent gifts.. just sayin'.. hahahaha kidding!!) and knowing i have a plan to avoid the feared oompa loompa status while i'm off will hopefully keep me focused - as well hearing about both your programs is helping me too so pls keep up the reports on how its going!!

ok.. phew.. i'm done lol. And that said.. i must now get off my EWA (ever widening *kitten*) and get cracking!!

• suzyqholland
    You go, Snoozie!!!! It sounds like you’ve motivated yourself into action!! I’m so proud of you for pullin yourself out of that pity mode and into action mode!

I tried my tablet again last night and out of the blue it worked fine. Who knows what I did. Now I feel like one of those old people who doesn’t understand technology! Ha!

We did an absolutely grueling hike today. Nine miles up and over two mountains! The terrain was so treacherous that we found an old service road and hiked back to our car on that instead. It was difficult as well but not as bad as the trail!

At dinner my husband started talking about how he wants to cut back and lose a few pounds, too. He encouraged me to only eat half of what I ordered and he did the same. I’m still full and so pleased with myself for not over eating just because I hiked.

Vail, I’m the only one (out of 20 people on my “team”) that has posted in the “chat” room for this program. Hahaha! I guess we’re both just extremely social people and they aren’t. I’m hoping that others will join in.
  • Vailara
    I'm glad you've got the tablet working, Suzy. So funny that you're the chatty one in your group too! I wouldn't even say I'm that sociable ... but I do find it helpful to talk to people.

Wow, your walk sounds hard! I hope it was enjoyable as well and not too exhausting! What an achievement!
    It's great that your husband is thinking of cutting back. I'm sure it must be easier if you are doing it together and encouraging each other. Well done on sticking to half the meal. Half the calories!

Thinking of you Snooozie, at the moment. Sounds like you have a great plan! And I'm sure you're right about just thinking day to day. Time goes so quickly if you're not watching it! I completely understand the "pity party", and the fear of gaining weight. But to be honest, I don't find exercise really makes much difference to my weight - I don't feel so hungry if I'm not exercising, so the lack of moving might not affect you so much, hopefully! But I do understand - it's not just the lack of moving, it's being in the house with limited activities available, possibly boredom and so on - it's so easy to spend your life thinking about what your going to eat next - lol! But I love the idea of doing all the things round the house that you have been neglecting. I could do with making a plan for that myself. I hope it's a fun and productive time for you, despite everything!
  • Snooozie
    Morning all! Well the best laid plans lol... I haven't managed to accomplish any of my 3 goals every day except the walkies every day - however I am finally back to my last check in weight logged... its annoying i'm right back where I started from at my last effort but that's ok.. I haven't given up and I will get to where I want to be. I didn't make it by my birthday, but I have 4 months to the end of the year.. 16 weeks... but i'll be working on me one week at a time.. 7 days is a much more manageable chunk of time for me so moving forward again.. i'd say upwards and onwards but technically I want downwards and onwards lol

Suzy I got exhausted just reading about that hike i'm so glad you took the alternate route back! and as Vail said, perhaps having hubby on board and supporting each other will be a super positive thing for your journey you're undertaking right now..

Vail - I am in total agreement that weight loss is 80% food and 20'% exercise - you can't outrun your fork. And yes its the extreme boredom that kicks in; which is kinda pathetic cause I really do have tons I could do around here and SHOULD do... i'm just not interested hahaha. but I had an outing to work yesterday; my boss is retiring and they did a presentation thing at work so I took a bus to the train and the train halfway in and one of the guys I work with picked me up there and drove the rest of the way.. it was a lot of travelling for a 1/2 hr lol... but... I was able to manage ok with the wonky sight and tonight is the annual bbq for the volunteers at the living arts centre - so i'm going to splurge and take a cab as it's only 2km away lol.. I was going to take the bus but altho we have a great transit system here, it does take EONS to get anywhere lol... when you're used to driving that is.. however i'm grateful i'm mobile and able to get out and about so no whining .. and one of my friends is hoping to take me up to her cottage for a few days next week (I'm using my vacation time for the next two weeks as i'll have to use up my sick hours in September).

I'm going to walk over to the grocery store today; just need some light things so I figure it's about 8km return trip.. I have stores closer but that's my favourite one and I have nothing but time on my hands lol.. but I am determined to make some progress on the cleaning/purging here today.. i've narrowed it down to working on one room only til its finished... as I tend to get distracted if i'm moving thru another room and see something .. then I end up with everything half done and nothing finished lol.

hoping to hear how both programs are going for you and Vail Suzy... I know you had to commit to your coach on the exercise days.. how'd that go this week? Vail anyone else showing up in the chats? Do you still get the daily motivational things and the recipes?

Gail - hope all is well in your world!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Yes, all is well here. Just a bit busy with work and trying to help Young Son get his yard in order at his new home, that he can't afford to live in yet....lol

Snoozie, I have been trying to keep up with the reading ....I got exhausted just reading about your trip to work for a 30 minute gathering... I am glad your co-worker helped get you through the last part. : )

Vail, Oh my goodness...to even attempt to make Kombutcha ...is noteworthy, but to achieve it is awesome!!..I would love to see a picture of it...especially if it is staring back at you! hahaha..

Suzy, I am always in awe of you and your hikes!! I have fallen off all my healthy stuff...hardly get in any walks at all....just a bit of boot camp occasionally. I'm too lazy to try and outrun my FORK!! Sugar consumption has lessened along with cravings, but I still eat too much. So I can relate to your issues .

We're still doing much better than we were before we started this trek...don't ya'll think so?

Take care, talk later
    G

• suzyqholland
    Hello Hatters! Sorry I’ve been MIA this week...things have been crazy busy. I really don’t do well with crazy busy. I ate an entire container of Haagen Daz last night at my pity party for one. Ugh!

Snoozie, I hope things are going well for you. I know it’s got to be difficult but this too shall pass and I know you can pull it together and make the most of your time. Hang in there!!

Vail, I was looking at my “team’s” discussion page and a couple other people have made comments. However, we get points for each exercise or task we complete and it shows how many each person has next to their profile pic. I have 11 by just doing what they require each week. There are 12 out of 20 people that have zero points....meaning they haven’t done anything at all!!! Why sign up for this program if you’re not going to do it?

Gail, does that mean that you’re doing yard work at your son’s house? That is hard work in itself! I absolutely hate working in the yard...HATE IT!!!

This is the first day that I’ve done well with my eating in a very long time. I’m hoping to see a trend of making healthier choices. I know, I know...it’s up to me!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    yes, I went with him , to be there since he was going to be using a ladder and cutting low hanging limbs from tree all around his huuuuuuuumongous yard. : )

His wife is pregnant and can't take the heat. My husband has the PAD stuff with his leg and does not need to go....but he got his feelings hurt when he wasn't asked to go..I think. It was hot, can't lie, but I got plenty of sun and burned some calories off...no weight, just calories! lol

I may end up helping him some more, don't know. I do know he signed us up to come help tear out CARPET!! Now that is a job I will hate. I think we will have to tie it to the lawn mower and pull it out of the house...Looks like it is as hard as trying to carry a dead person out rolled up in a rug...I wouldn't know this personally since, I have never rolled up a dead person in a rug.....just carried them out as they were....hahahaha...just kidding.... we did roll them up!

Suzy, I am not saying I am giving up, but sometimes I wonder if it is worth the trouble of never being able to lose it and keep it off.... cuz, I love to eat too much....hmmmm I just don't know sometimes.

Keep doing all the good things you do!

Snoozie, did I see you stumbling around again. Seriously though , I hope you are doing ok with it.
  • suzyqholland
    Hahahaha! “I wouldn’t know this personally since I have never rolled up a dead person in a rug.” You crack me up!!

I absolutely understand your feelings about never being able to lose the weight and wondering if it’s worth it. I think those are the moments when I eat an entire carton of Haagen Daz! I can’t figure out why I’ve lost my motivation. It’s here somewhere...perhaps in one of those closets I just cleaned out.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Thanks! hahaha...I try to do my best. I always thought I could have been a great sarcastic humorist... Quite shy by nature though.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    I don't have the moments of eating the whole lot of something, but many times I do choose to eat whatever I want a lot of the time... this is not good for a diabetic. so I have to try and get back in the game....it may take a while, but I really think I will do better when we have the house to ourselves again and I don't cook for a lot of people and keep a lot of "should be off limit" food around in my sight and close to my bite.
  • Vailara
    So funny about rolling up a body in a rug (or not!). Thank you for the laugh! Sounds like you have been working ver hard. I've been working in the garden today, and I do find it tiring. And it works up an appetite, unfortunately!

How are things going, Snooozie? I like your one week at a time approach. I know it must be challenging at the moment, so I'm impressed that you're keeping up the walking. 8km with shopping (well, 4km without and 4km with!) is quite a walk! I have a shop nearby too, but if I have time and inclination I'll tend to walk further to get to better shops.

Suzy, that seems a waste that 12 of your group haven't even done anything! No wonder it's quiet! There are only 7 people in my group, and they don't tend to chat, but at least I can see that their progress has updated, so I assume they are quietly using the programme. Well done on the healthy eating. I understand that feeling of it never happening too, Gail. It just seems impossible when we keep trying and nothing happens, or a bit comes off and it goes back on again. I'm trying to deal with those feelings myself.

I have to announce that my kombucha is now ready. I think. I was brave enough to smell and taste it, and it does taste better than it looks, but that's not difficult. Anyway, congratulations and celebrations to me - my "scoby" mother has had a baby! I would love to have grandchildren, but that looks a long way off, so maybe this is a sort of compensation. I'm keeping mother and baby together and making a new batch with them. Using black tea instead of green tea this time, so I hope it works.

I have also reached my weight loss goal for the first part of my programme! Admittedly it wasn't a very ambitious goal, but any weight loss is good! After this week, the programme is less intensive, but will continue for six months. I'm going to have to make every effort to keep losing, and I'm hoping that this is it, and that I'm finally on my way to a healthy BMI!

• suzyqholland
    That’s great news Vail!!! I’m really happy for you! I know you can do it!

I’m looking forward to hearing how the kombucha helps you. I really want to know if it makes a difference.

I’ve done okay the last few days. I’m finding that I’m hungry all the time though. People have recommended that I increase my daily calories (I usually eat around 1400) but I gain weight on many more than I’m eating. Which doesn’t seem right either. Perhaps it’s because I can’t seem to stick to the lower calories for any decent length of time in order to see a loss.

Our October backpacking trip may be canceled. My husband’s work project may be changing their implementation date. This would be the second vacation that got canceled this year for the same thing. Oh well...nothing we can do about it. We’ll just have to plan it for another week and not go with his brother. Bummer.

How’s everything going Snoozie? We’re all pulling for you...we know it’s a difficult time for you.
  • Snooozie
    Hi Hatters!

I was away for a few days - my g/f took me up to her cottage (she's retired and during the week its just her up there; the kids and other family only come on the weekends) so we had a nice couple of days just chilling on the deck and the dock - there was wine but we actually ate pretty healthy other than one episode during a game of Boggle and a thunderstorm - we won't go there lol). Anyway I am back and about to catch up on all the posts.. but I DID do a quick read already... Vail I nearly choked reading about your "mom and baby" .. gag!! lmao... you ARE a brave woman!! im glad it turnd out ok.. but I was thrilled to see you reached your weight loss goal - FABULOUS!! well done you!!! so happy for ya and know you're gonna be able to continue rocking it!!

Suzy - sorry your people are MIA on the program, and that they don't seem to be doing anything either?? i'm very glad you are doing good too the past few days but it sucks about the possilbity the backpacking trip might have to be postponed!

(Oh and thanks everyone for the commiserations.. im actually doing well it really isn't much of a problem unless i'm "out and about" - I find if I have to concentrate on where i'm walking and "peer" I get headaches if its more than an hour or so.. but around home im fine .. just bored... and not doing any of the chores yet I have on the agenda lol... I keep telling myself I have to pace myself cause I still have another month to go...…. don't wanna run out of things to do... hahhaa

Gail I don't know how anyone could attempt to eat better when you're responsible for cooking for a bunch of other people who all have particular tastes... I struggle when its just ME I have to cook for....!! so its totally understandable and must be exhausting sometimes … when are the kids sched to move into the new place?

as for pulling up the carpet? lol you're a better woman than me.. when I hit 40 I said I don't move anyone anymore, I don't rip up carpets or paint for anyone :) I figure I did my share (and benefitted from the same) and the young uns have to start reaching out to their own peers now to help out... i'll supervise mind you hahahahhahahahhaaaaaaaaa

I haven't lost any weight - i'm still hovering in the same place i've been for a while (which is about 2 lbs abobvve my posted weight) and I suspect my body has hit that "comfortable here" mark as I havae been there so long... so def going to re jig and start again tomorrow really working on eating less, eating better - not sure the moving more is gonna work.. I DO miss my pickleball something awful - they are holding a fun tournament just about a mile from me on Sept 8th... I may take the bus over and just watch and see everyone for a few hours LOL... it'll get me out of the house and I do enjoy watching the play itself..

I also saw a thing in prime women about 5 strength training exercises to do at home (body weight ones) from planks to .. something else and each one has 3 modified versions - so I saved the link and tomorrow I will go thru them and add them daily hopefully... i'll let ya know how that turns out.. (i.e., wall planks vs floor planks, then advance to using a couch or chair for the planks from the wall.. ayda yada)..

ok.. I need dinner then i'll be back to read and catch up on everything!
  • Vailara
    I'm glad to hear you're managing OK, Snooozie. I'm laughing at you not doing chores because you don't want to run out of things to do! I'm always finding excuses to avoid chores. I don't think I could ever run out because I'm always behind - lol! I hope you have some more fun things lined up to do as well. The pickleball tournament sounds fun, if frustrating!

The strength training article sounds very much like what's on my programme. There are a few workouts, and for each exercise there are three levels, so you don't need to be able to do planks, etc., to start. I've been trying to do the hardest levels, but I can't for everything. Since my back injury a couple of years ago, I haven't been able to do full push-ups, sadly. (My back has healed, but my strength hasn't come back). As ever, I'm hoping a bit of weight loss will help ... but of course, I've actually got to continue to work at losing weight. I hope the exercises work for you. I think anything has to be good, regarding strength - for me it's just remembering to do the exercises and not putting it off, then forgetting!

We had an article today about overcoming barriers and it did make me realise that the obstacles are internal. There are things that might make it more difficult, but in the end, it's up to me to not eat too much. It's as simple as that. I've been quite encouraged by reaching my goal, but this isn't a new goal - it's a weight I have achieved a year or so ago and then gained again after. It's just a few pounds below my previous maintenance weight. I have six months on this programme, and I really need to at the very least, exceed that and get to a new low!
  • Snooozie
    Vail - loved your post... and I am the worlds best procrastinator when it comes to housework and chores - i'll never run out its just another excuse not to do them now lol

your comment above - "We had an article today about overcoming barriers and it did make me realise that the obstacles are internal. There are things that might make it more difficult, but in the end, it's up to me to not eat too much. It's as simple as that."

I might just make that my new cupboard poster... I tend to "overthink" everything - plan, plot, use every and any article about things being harder after 50... yada yada ...when in reality - that's the simplest and most straight forward line.. i'm not moving much and in the end its up to me to not eat too much... the end... ! Thanks for posting that

I think its awesome you got back to your weight from a year ago! That's my current goal - well to get back to my original weight from all my hard work to get there in the first place! I have no doubt you WILL get to a new low and i'm rooting for ya every step of the way!! I think we all need to remember too.. that we KNOW we CAN do it; we've already proved it to ourselves so that can be a positive reinforcement while we work towards getting what we want again!
  • suzyqholland
    Procrastinator? Check!
    Internal obstacles? Check!
    Overthinking/creating rationalizations? Check!
    Not moving enough? Check!
    Eating too much? Check!

I DO know that I CAN do it....I just have to BELIEVE in my ability to do it and MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

Thank you for being in this forum and helping me to realize that I’m not alone in this and for your endless encouragement! Y’all seriously rock!!!
  • Snooozie
    One of my friends here shared this post - I have to agree it's a great post and well worth the read (IMO) so I Thot I'd share it with our group

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10373426/how-making-choices-has-helped-me-lose-over-80-pounds#latest