Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

2018 - The Year of " I AM "

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,457 Member
    Vail - i might have you beat as the most unsports minded person - i really havent played any since say my teens.. and i've never been good at any sport either as i'm pretty klutzy.. and lord knows I never would have believed I would enjoy PB.. let alone actually be able to play it; I actually almost didnt check it out cause i thot i'm going to be embarrassed if I can't even get thru one game cause i'm so out of breath.. so who knows maybe you'll find something advertised in your local paper or online in your community that may have something you think you'd like to try … that Meetup group has all kinds of activities for people with similar interests; I know you live a little outside of a town but hey maybe you could start one of the groups lol!

I actually love what you're doing with the strength training and you inspired me.. I cleared off a bookshelf at the end of hte living room and have put my little weights there (after dusting them off dragging them out of the closet) along with the paraphernalia from my shoulder physio im supposed to be doing at home... (one of which is an empty cardboard tube from a long roll of wrapping paper lol.. but I love the idea that even a minute here and there can help.. and takes the pressure off! So I think i'll perhaps try to make a deal with myself that if i'm sitting watching tv at every commercial break, I do something! Which considering how much time I spend couch surfing.. should give me a fair bit of ST time!! Thanks for sharing that!
  • Snooozie
    p.s. if i could have any gift vail (i.e., artistic ability etc) it would be being able to sing well LOL!! With a few glasses of wine that night tho I know I wont care about the ears of the person standing next to me... and besides... no point making it easy for the guys turning the whole bunch of us into a choir for the night.. they might as well have to work for it, eh? hahaha
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Singing has always been a wish of mine...I couldn't carry a tune if I had a bucket full of them...as they say.

I would love to see the choir thing, too.
    I know you will have a blast!!
    Glad you got the green light to go do the things you are missing out on.

I am still on straight work days....should have only 5 more to go then maybe back to at least 1/2 day Sat and all of Sun off.. It will be nice. If I can find my house!! lol the clutter has really stacked up.

I have been reading the posts, but truthfully I am too tired to ever take the time to respond..so I am just giving you all a "ATTA GIRL!! You are all doing great!"

I am back in the Lowjax Losers challenge....finally lost a pound...trying my vvvvvery best to keep it off...It is so hard! as we all know, I'm sure.

keep up doing the good things you do.
    Talk more later on.

Oh yea, and I just had to get sick with the allergy crud I get every year! I can be honest with you girls can't I?? It is no fun sneezing, blowing, coughing, hacking , spitting, wheezing....while working...while trying not to PEE in my PANTS!! lol

G
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    So funny! I guessed as I was reading that last sentence what was going to come next, as I have to remember to brace myself when I sneeze, etc! Thank you also for the reminder that I need to do pelvic floor exercise along with my other strength training - lol!

Congratulations on the pound too :).

I'm actually quite close to town (walking distance from the centre), but sports things tend to be held on the outskirts, and involve cycling on roads I don't like. I do have a car, though, so maybe I should expand my horizons! And maybe I should use this gym membership that I've got, or cancel it.

Well done on getting the weights out, Snooozie! I'm finding it helps me. I don't even need weights for most of the exercises, but it's a visual reminder. I've stopped using timers or videos or anything. It's just less faff, and I find I'm doing it more often.
  • Snooozie
    I think we can ALL relate to the dreaded "sneeze/laugh/cough moments Gail!! congrats on the LL pound loss Gail - great job!!

Vail... sad to say i havent used the darn weights yet.. i keep walking by them and thinking yes i should.. but they are a little out of sight (if i shut my eyes) so frankly im thinking of putting the little stand with them right beside the tv!!

I had my first game of pickleball last nite!!! woo hoo... had a road trip to meet 2 old friends for lunch about an hour away; chowed down on some awesome food and when i got home finally had time to read the scheds they had sent and lo and behold .. there was a drop in one for 8pm to 930pm... and i was like hell yes!! lololol.. normally going out at 8pm is not in my wheelhouse!! but i have so missed it and had such a great time - saw some of my pb friends and met a few more really nice peeps.. it was only an hour and half and i was good and sat out a few.. i am def going to have to increase my stamina tho after sitting on my butt for almost 2 months it was pathetic how quicly i got out of breath! i am feeling it a bit in my ankles and shoulder today but nothing major - and i figure its my muscles screaming "thank you" for using me haaaaaaaaaa

today is an absolute MUST do housework and a few groceries. its a cold wet and windy day out and i dont really want to venture out but... it aint snow so i'll suck it up!!

Suzy - hoping you had such an awesome trip and look forward to hearing the details and hopefully a few pics!!

I am still bound and determined to drop some of this excess weight before the end of the year!!!!
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,362 Member
    Hello Hatters!!! I survived!!! Just barely though. OMG! Our three day backpacking trip was absolutely exhausting and miserable! We had three days at the beginning of the week where we stayed in a cabin and did easy little day hikes then visited with family. That was great! Then Wednesday came and my husband and I started on our three day/two night horror show! We totally underestimated the difficulty of the trail and then it rained both nights. The trail was a lot of 12 inch wide ledges of slippery rocks and roots on the side of a mountain and rushing creeks with slippery rocks and water over the tops of my boots. It was so unbelievably stressful and we had to be so careful of every footstep. It was only 21 miles but felt like 100! I was never so happy to be done!! Everything we had was soaked. We didn’t even cook, just ate power bars and crackers for three days. It’s gonna be quite awhile before I do that again.

Snoozie, I’m so happy for you being able to play PB again! Vail is so right, we need to find an exercise that isn’t exercise to us. I guess mine would be dancing so I’m gonna find a dance exercise class at the gym. I love to dance! My knees are killing me so maybe I’ll wait a few days!

I know I’ve got to make some serious changes because what I’m doing/eating just isn’t working for me. But today and tomorrow I’m just taking it easy and recuperating.
  • Vailara
    Welcome back, Suzy! That hike sounds extremely difficult! And I couldn't believe after reading that that you are even considering doing it again! You have my admiration! But glad you enjoyed the shorter hikes at the beginning of the week.

Great to hear you're back to the pickleball, Snooozie! Good for you for going out so late at night!

I have been terrible with eating recently. I don't know what's wrong with me! I'm in a "start again tomorrow" mindset!

Good luck to all of us - we have our work cut out!
  • suzyqholland
    “Start again tomorrow?” Same here. I even had Italian for dinner!!! Ugh! I need to go grocery shopping because I have nothing healthy in the cupboards or fridge. I made my menu for the week and grocery list so I’m going first thing tomorrow. I may even try to go for a short walk if my knees are up for it.
  • Snooozie
    Hi Hatters!
    Sorry I haven't posted.. I started the dreaded midnight shift Monday and im pretty useless on this shift.. but I have to admit I've gone to play pickleball every single day since Friday for an hour or two... I figure if I can't sleep I might as well do something... but have I lost even one ounce? no I have not.. what the hell?? im not even eating much cause its nites and I have had like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich here and there.. sigh.. oh well..

anyway that's my moaning... soooooo

Suzy.. omg... just reading your post about the big hike made me cringe!! I'm so sorry it was such a nightmare but im glad as vail said that at least the pre hike and time with the family was good!! I think after 3 days of power bars I would have hunted down a cow and had a steak lol!!

So sounds like a few of us anyway are ready to dig in our heels and make the effort to start again.. I'm in!! There are literally only 8 weeks to the end of the year.. I am not expecting miracles but I and bound and determined to lose 5 lbs by Dec 31 - I do NOT want to go into 2019 at this weight!!

• suzyqholland
    Same here, Snoozie! I’ve been eating everything that isn’t tied down since Saturday!!! I went grocery shopping yesterday and have healthy food in the house again. Unfortunately today is Halloween! I’m committed to NOT eating any candy! I just have to make it to tomorrow morning because I’ll send all the leftover candy to work with my hubby. THEN...my brother and sister in law arrive on Monday for the week. I find it very hard to stick to good choices when I have company. I have no self discipline.

Good for you on playing so much PB! I’m sorry the scale didn’t show it but you are doing great things for yourself with all that exercise.

Hi Gail! I hope your schedule gets better soon!

Vail, are you still doing the weight loss program? How’s that going?

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Hi, everybody...just a quick pop on... 31 days straight so far.... gotta get in the OT while I can, cause when we get this moved out, I will be working in a spot that may not give the needed OT .....when I need it...lol

Congrats on getting to get in a lot of games, Snooze. I am so glad you found something you love!!

Suzy, You amaze me and I am terrified for you at the same time...I can just see your last trek on a primetime movie. I know you are safe with it though, and you can never tell what kind of hike it will be......which makes it even more adventurous!

Vail, seems like I am in the start again next week slot...this week has been horrible. lol

Have an awesome week all!!
    G
  • suzyqholland
    Fail. I ate four pieces of candy. Split an entire bottle of wine with the hubster. Today was a complete write off.

Here’s to tomorrow!

• Vailara
    Mine was worse than your's, Suzy! I'm too ashamed to even say what I ate, but it involved a LOT of chocolate. No wonder I didn't sleep well. I feel that after all this time my self-control is getting worse, rather than better. I am going to have to try to think of something to stop myself. The only thing that works reliably at the moment is to not eat at all - I can fast quite well, but the minute I eat something, it's as if I can't stop. I have my healthy, nutritious, balanced little meal and then all I can think about is food. This is the case whether I've been fasting or not.

I have been wondering about going back to basics most days, with how I started, which was three meals a day and avoiding snacks and sugar. I know I will still have to be very careful with portion control, but I feel that maybe I have to retrain myself to be able to eat and stop, rather than avoiding the issue by not eating? Or maybe because the intermittent fasting kind of works for me and helps me avoid eating rubbish, I should stick with that? (I have been having one meal a day some days, two meals a day on others, and very occasionally, three).

I'm so frustrated with myself at the moment. I have a house full of healthy food - what am I doing bringing chocolate and crisps (chips) into it?
  • Snooozie
    Not only did everyone send their leftover candy into work with their husbands last night but all the young
    Peeps made Halloween cupcakes and cookies ..... And yes I completely lost track of everything I ate
  • suzyqholland
    Vail, I feel like I could have written your post. I am feeling exactly the same way. I keep asking myself, “what is wrong with you?!?!!” I just can’t seem to get control of myself. I have brief periods of clarity but then, WHAM! I’m totally out of control! Something’s gotta change. I know I’m the only one who can do it so I’ve got to find my motivation again.

Sorry Snoozie! I’m one of those people who send in all the leftovers! Unfortunately, my husband is working from home today so all the candy is still here!!!! :#
  • Snooozie
    edited November 2018
    Suzy... too funny you tried to send off the leftovers and hubby is working AT HOME? haaaaaaaa..

I think its the change of season that's messing us all up.. our bodies are saying oh oh winter is coming we need to stock up on carbs and comfort food and plump up to get us thru the winter when supplies are low... so we are hard wired that way so its not our fault.. yup im sticking with that story!!! LOLOL

But.. i am trying to get back on track one meal at a time.. made a salad with some chicken to take in tonite and dont have any junk left in the house at the moment.. and on this shift luckily im usually too lazy to go out during the day as it would require me getting out of my jammies in between sleeps... so fingers crossed by the time i get in tonite the hounds will have attacked the candy and the bowls will be empty!!

i changed up my signs on the kitchen cupboards.. still have the A1C number posted as i go for the next end of November (im not expecting great results as i sat on my butt for most of the past 3 months with the before and after surgery stuff) but that's ok... i know i've started doing better so i'll just tell the doc sorry chickie but see ya in 3 months and then see where i am! But i replaced the "what do you want more" with the motto on my profile.. the one that says ""I'm not training for a 5K. I'm not preparing for a competition or trying to set a new record. I'm not trying to impress you. I'm saving my life."
    I'm hoping seeing that last line will help me remember that when I want to open the cupboard to search for crap!!

Heading back to bed; here's hoping we all find our own mojo and motivation to get what we want for ourselves!
  • Snooozie
    Hey Suzy i noticed you lost your log in streak... you can get it back if you want theres a link somewhere you can send a msg and they will reinstate your numbers if you want it.. just an fyi.. i've lost mine so many times I can't count but i'm kinda ok with that myself - when I realize i've been here 6 years its a little depressing to see 18,453 days logged in and not much to show for it so i've never had it reset when I lose it lol) but if u do want it let me know and i'll try to find it for ya.. only 2 more nights to go but tonite is our daylight savings time where the clocks go back an hour.. of COURSE it would be on my friggin nites so working an extra hour for free is just another joy of this shift haaaaaaaaa.
  • suzyqholland
    Thanks Snoozie. I know I’ve corrected it before when I missed a day by a few hours but I’m over it. It’s not like I have anything to show for that last streak anyway. I’ve got to find my mojo.

They should really pay you for that extra hour. That’s just not right! Lol! Maybe take a break for an hour and tell them you already worked it!
  • Vailara
    I think you're right about the change of season, Snooozie. I was thinking about this and realised that the clocks changed last weekend, and I always find that difficult. I go to bed an hour later, but wake up at the same time. So it feels as if I'm working an hour later, as if my meals are later, I'm more tired when I go to bed and I'm getting less sleep. And add to that what you say about the craving for carbs and comfort foods - it's a recipe for disaster!

One meal at a time is a good plan! As is not having any junk in the house (*glances guiltily at the left-over Hallowe'en candy).
  • Snooozie
    lol @ the halloween candy Vail - every night another parental seizure of candy shows up at work!! i had 2 bite size caramilks (I justified it cause of needing the extra energy for that extra hour lol) and I just got on the scale when I woke up … omg... im into a new set of numbers UPWARDS .. (not because of the choc bits … but I guess all the little bits have added up .. I so did not want to see that which Is probably why I felt the need to get on there!! Thank goodness tonite is the last nite… cause I totally need to smack myself upside the head and get serious!!

Suzy.. much as I moan we actually get well compensated for stuff like this.. we get four hours of "time off" to bank every 5 weeks.. in lieu of any holiday pay thru the year because with our shifts, its a crap shoot.. some years you end up working every single holiday it seems.. others you maybe only hit 2 or 3.. lol so they basically let us bank a week off every year (outside of our vacation time) and let the dice roll :) and i've taken off my dec night shift LOL.. we're off this year for Christmas but working evening shift for NYE.. which is fine as I have slept thru the last 10 NYE ha... never been a big deal in my world!

ok... I should get dressed and get out and get something for dinner... I took a shift at the LAC tomorrow morning after work from 8-11.. I wouldnt normally book something after nights but I figure if I can stay up maybe i'll get switched around easier.. and its the gig where they always have those amazing speakers... last year was the pilot who landed hte plane on the Hudson river.. we have no idea who's speaking til we get there but i'm hoping its not a dud since i'll be a tired puppy lol... and of course hoping i'll be stationed inside the theatre and not outside if it's a good one!! Then at this point I plan to play pickleball right after for an hour or so.. .that should keep me conscious til at least dinner time ha!!