TEAM: Gutbusters (March)

Options
craigo3154
craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Craig @craigo3154.

Replies

• craigo3154
    Options
    Hello team Gutbusters.

I will be your coach again for this month. Amy ( @GoBlue1981. ) is captain, Sandra ( @smc92079. ) is continuing as co-captain. My role here is to help motivate, encourage and help Amy keep this team as the best performing team in The Biggest Loser challenge.

I am also the primary moderator for the TBL challenge. I rely heavily on the support of the team captains to make this successful as it is too much for one person to do alone.

Amy ( @GoBlue1981. ) has been a great captain for the last month and I am glad she is continuing for this month. Captain is a big job and requires a daily time commitment of about 30 minutes reading and responding to the thread and entering weights into the spreadsheet. The motivational role a captain plays cannot be underestimated in the success of all members of the team.

As coach, I am running an optional mini-challenge within the Gutbusters team again this month.

Now an introduction:

I am a happily married 49yo father of one. I live in Melbourne Australia. I am passionate about helping people. Late August last year I passed my minimum goal weight (70kg - down from 91.5kg) and am now trying to maintain without bouncing back too far. I achieved the reduction in 4 months (so 40+ lbs in 4 months).

As I am now actively trying to NOT lose weight. At BMI 22.4 and less than 11% body fat, it would be crazy (if not dangerous) for me to try lose more weight.

(Why would someone not losing weight want to run a weight loss challenge? Because it helps so many people and I feel I have so much to share. I learned so much losing weight that I seems a shame to not have it benefit others.).

About the mini-challenge.

First and foremost is that participation in this challenge is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. (If you take the attitude that "this is not what I signed up for", that is up to you).

I used the principles of this challenge to win July (6.29% - down 10.8 lbs) and August (6.44% - down 10.4 lbs). Following this challenge does work.

The challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (ultimate accountability challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.
    1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories on MFP.
    2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    3. Do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).
    End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognised in the thread as being part of the weekly "winners circle".

Using this strategy of consistent tracking and minimal exercise I have set a lifestyle plan that should keep me in my target weight range. (has for the last month :) )

I liked this strategy as:
    • No dietary restrictions. (fine for vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, paleo, carnivore, etc...)
    • Works with whatever strategy you may want to follow. (keto, 5:2, 16:8, atkins, etc..).
    • You set your own daily budget (MFP helps with this).
    • You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10mile run).
    • Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    • Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work.

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

You will find out more from me as the weeks go on. I have done A LOT of research into weight loss, diets, health and strength. I will happily share what I have learned with the group.

My commitment to this group is to post my daily results for this accountability tracking (and help out where I can).

I also post a daily strength challenge.

The daily strength challenge is additional to the 20 mins exercise in the mini-challenge. It is designed to:
    • build lean muscle (not bulk).
    • be quick (5 mins).
    • use no equipment (bodyweight only) and minimal space.
    • no impact so gentle on joints.
    • cycle through arms, legs and core with enough recovery time to get best results.
    Building lean muscle is one of the best ways to lose weight as lean muscle burns energy while at rest (sleep and lose weight :) ).

I will start cross posting my daily status posts into this thread.

So Welcome March Gutbusters.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    February 26
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 6km in 47 mins (hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Sightly lower pace. Some how I have a stiff/sore knee. Don't know how it came to be. Just if sitting for a while it is uncomfortable to start moving. Hopefully it will clear up in a couple of days.

Will be travelling to for work on Wednesday and Thursday.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for February 26 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • angelicasassy
    angelicasassy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m Angelicasassy. Gained about 30lbs last year after a bad relationship where I ate my feelings away. I want to start looking and feeling better about myself again, so want to lose those pounds, plus the extra I already had.

Looking forward to being a part of the team.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Feb 26:
    Exercised? Yes
    Calories? No :/
    Tracked? Yes
    Daily Strength? Yes

I’ll do an introduction post tomorrow - I’m headed to bed :)
  • mexiconona
    mexiconona Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Exercised no
    Track yes
    Calories no
    Totally messed up toda!
  • mexiconona
    mexiconona Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Please change my exercise to yes. I looked at what you consider exercise and I have been Busy all day, walking, cooking, climbing stairs, etc.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    February 27
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 6km in 47 mins (hills).

Sightly lower pace. Knee still stiff but feels as though it is improving.

Early flight interstate tomorrow.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for February 27 is lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    mexiconona wrote: »
    Exercised no
    Track yes
    Calories no
    Totally messed up toda!
    mexiconona wrote: »
    Please change my exercise to yes. I looked at what you consider exercise and I have been Busy all day, walking, cooking, climbing stairs, etc.

@mexiconona. Should these be posted in Slimsons (February or March)?

With all the activity, it sounds like Exercised should be a yes. :)
  • mollymom07
    mollymom07 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Feb 27th

Exercise: Yes
    Calories: No, it was my daughters birthday so we had a meal out and cake
    Tracking: Yes
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Exercise: absolutely, chasing seniors...
    Calories: meals out, but under because of all the exercise cals
    Tracking: yup

Good day, but exhausted. I love taking the seniors on excursions, but it is tiring. I'm actually looking forward to chores and paperwork tomorrow.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    February 28
    Exercised?: Yes. Walk 6km in 60 mins (various walks in Adelaide throughout the day).

Interstate so doing best I can.

Distressed call from home. Our 13yo bengal cat (named "Mouse") had the equivalent of a stroke and needed to be taken to the vet. Sudden blindness, high blood pressure, inability to sdand or balance, suspected bleeding on the brain. Had to make the heart-wrenching decision to have him put to sleep. No guarantees that intensive medical intervention would restore his eyesight, or even get him back to health.

Because I was interstate, did not have a chance to say goodbye, or be there to comfort my wife and daughter.

I'm sure our other cat (3yo female), will also miss him.

Home will not be the same when I get there tomorrow evening.

I miss him already.

2sc6hbz8pyqu.jpg

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for February 28 is plank. (standard, forearm or knee) (https://greatist.com/fitness/perfect-plank)

2 sets
    • First set 30 seconds if new to them, 60 seconds if a regular, 90 seconds if can regularly make 60 seconds. , wait 2
    • Second set 15 seconds, 30 seconds or 60 seconds
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I am 45, married and live on our sailboat. I love being on the water, and in the water when it is warmer. I met my husband blues dancing and we have recently started teaching dance lessons because the poor deluded souls at our yacht club think we look like professionals. At least we aren't charging them.

I am obese and recently diagnosed with diabetes. I will not be participating in the daily strength challenges due to a bad back that requires careful additions to activities.

February 27:
    Exercise: Yes (8500+ steps, adding more speed to dedicated 20 minute walk)
    Calories: +2 ( I wish MFP recognized a +/- 5-10%)
    Tracked: Yes
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,940 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154

So sorry for your loss. I know pets are like 1 of the family.
  • concordancia
    Options
    February 28:
    Exercise: Yes (steps + strength)
    Calories: Yes

It was an OK day. I made the right decisions, but in the store I played a game of "foods I used to indulge in that have more carbs per serving than I will eat all day today." I also read just about every protein bar nutrition label in the place, but in the end decided that on none for today. Not sure why, just wasn't feeling it.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    March 1
    Exercised?: Yes. Bodyweight strength work (20+ mins).

Back home now. Busy day. Little time to walk while interstate and returned after dark.

Long hugs with family. Will take a few days for things to start to feel normal again.

Thank you all for the messages of sympathy and well wishes. It was very much appreciated.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for March 01 is dips ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
  • ACSL3
    Options
    @craigo3154 I'm so very sorry for your loss!! <3<3
  • ACSL3
    Options
    Finally getting around to introducing myself:

Hello all! I'm Audrey, I'm 33 years old. I generally run or walk for exercise, but haven't been much lately after a bout of mono in early January. Need to get back to it! :wink:

I'm a second year family medicine resident - I graduated med school almost 5 years ago, did family med internship, then worked as a general physician for 3 years before returning to residency this last fall.While I was working as a gp, I did great with weight loss and got myself down from 180 to 148 lbs. Then I came back into residency and I'm now back up to 177.6 :/:s

I have about 1.5 weeks left of my current rotation, which is a fairly easy outpatient/clinic rotation. Then I'm moving to an 8 week inpatient rotation where I'll work ~12 hours/day, 6 days/week. I bought some meal prep containers online that should come tomorrow. I'm going to start batch cooking some meals to freeze - basically I'm going to try to make my own microwavable meals that fit my way of eating (plant based). :blush:

I hope to get to know all of you better over the next month (and more) :smiley:
  • goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Just found this thread. A little techy challenged!
    Anyhow I am 62 years young and have around 100 to lose
    Feb 28/18
    Tracked. Yes
    Calories yes
    Exercised no ( bad knee)
  • goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 Very sorry for your loss. Pets definitely become family members.
  • concordancia
    edited March 2018
    Options
    March 1:
    Exercise: Yes (steps + prepping for dance class)
    Calories: Yes

I meant to count the steps taken prepping dance class, but instead I did double duty today. As long as I stretch, it should be OK.

I roasted spaghetti squash, so there are lots of yummy things in store for the weekend. Plus, it is warmer in here thanks to having the oven on :)
This discussion has been closed.